Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

The max 8 is sold worldwide though and right now the max 8 is grounded everywhere. The FAA doing something that doesn't satisfy Europe is going to be a problem.

This is one of many problems I can see in the aftermath of this. Aircraft certification internationally is based on bilateral agreements, which are predicated on the idea that "your rules are the same as ours, so if you say it's safe, we will say it's safe." If the FAA is thought to be playing fast and loose with things that other countries may or may not allow, this system starts to break down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

a patagonian cavy posted:

Then you release electric trim, everything is kosher for 5 seconds, and then MCAS kicks you nose down again.

MCAS be like Trim Down For WHAT???

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

luminalflux posted:

love it

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

luminalflux posted:

title it

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Fine, fine.

MrChips posted:

This is one of many problems I can see in the aftermath of this. Aircraft certification internationally is based on bilateral agreements, which are predicated on the idea that "your rules are the same as ours, so if you say it's safe, we will say it's safe." If the FAA is thought to be playing fast and loose with things that other countries may or may not allow, this system starts to break down.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Basing this in the reality of the USA, the result will be: wait till the hype blows over, the FAA certifies this as the same type, there's an AD for training, and boeing goes back to making tons of money and paying off the people who make the FAA care.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So how do the airlines respond? The news cycle has beat the poo poo out of the max 8 for weeks now. How are you going to convince people to get back on them?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bob A Feet posted:

So how do the airlines respond? The news cycle has beat the poo poo out of the max 8 for weeks now. How are you going to convince people to get back on them?

"Every government agency agrees the problem is solved and we've provided more training to our pilots than required to ensure the safety of our passengers. Also, here's a coupon for a free drink."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

People are avoiding flights on normal 737s right now.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Southwest costs $$$ less to go from Tuscon to Cleveland than American and they fly a Max on that route so.... Guess you're flying a Max.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Southwest costs $$$ less to go from Tuscon to Cleveland than American and they fly a Max on that route so.... Guess you're flying a Max.

Theres clearly limits to this, ULCCs go under all the time even if they have the cheapest seats on paper.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s all the recently approved planes that aren’t 737 MAXs that worry me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres clearly limits to this, ULCCs go under all the time even if they have the cheapest seats on paper.

And yet people still choose to fly on them, no matter how badly overworked their crews are, how badly maintained their aircraft are, etc. Next month or so there will be another Wow Air flying people for dirt cheap and if they're flying 737 maxes, people will think, isn't that the airplane that crashed in Ethiopia? And then check Google flights and see that United costs $1500 more to fly them to Paris and they'll say ehhh I guess it's probably safe now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It’s all the recently approved planes that aren’t 737 MAXs that worry me.

Which one? Airbuses are approved in Europe and FAA grants reciprocal. Same for Embraer in Brazil and Bombardier in Canada.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

And yet people still choose to fly on them, no matter how badly overworked their crews are, how badly maintained their aircraft are, etc. Next month or so there will be another Wow Air flying people for dirt cheap and if they're flying 737 maxes, people will think, isn't that the airplane that crashed in Ethiopia? And then check Google flights and see that United costs $1500 more to fly them to Paris and they'll say ehhh I guess it's probably safe now.

737s are shorter range aircraft so its never going to be quite like that. In the US while Southwest is all 737s, Spirit and Frontier are all Airbus. In Europe while Ryanair is 737s, Easyjet and many others are Airbus.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

737s are shorter range aircraft so its never going to be quite like that. In the US while Southwest is all 737s, Spirit and Frontier are all Airbus. In Europe while Ryanair is 737s, Easyjet and many others are Airbus.

Maxes are Etops 180. They fly east coast of Canada to Europe, and west coast to Hawaii. Wow were using a321s, which aren't even etops certified, and didn't need to be because they flew via KEF. There's no reason at all why someone might see a bunch of cheap maxes dumped on the market and try to have a go of fleecing vacationers out of their money.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Maxes are Etops 180. They fly east coast of Canada to Europe, and west coast to Hawaii. Wow were using a321s, which aren't even etops certified, and didn't need to be because they flew via KEF. There's no reason at all why someone might see a bunch of cheap maxes dumped on the market and try to have a go of fleecing vacationers out of their money.

Airbus has the A321LR and A321XLR for that market which are being delivered now.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I think there will be both software and training fixes for the Max, but no way in hell are they retyping it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Now I just want to know how many pax could fit on an ultra large crude carrier and how much extra would it cost for the escape row

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I think there will be both software and training fixes for the Max, but no way in hell are they retyping it

But what about hardware fixes? The MCAS is necessary for the type certification and has to be reconstructed to be something more than a hack-job. That probably calls for more / better sensor integration.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

luminalflux posted:

not emptyquoting but :discourse:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why is it so important to keep the same type rating in the first place? Just cheapass airlines not wanting to pay for any additional pilot training?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Why is it so important to keep the same type rating in the first place? Just cheapass airlines not wanting to pay for any additional pilot training?

It also lets Boeing grandfather some features that would not be allowed on a new design.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

luminalflux posted:

Automotive Insanity › MCAS Insanity: Trim Down for WHAT???

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Alaska decided to repeatedly punch themselves in the dick, despite having no Max airplanes delivered yet.

Initially, they put out a statement saying that the Max was totally safe, which was 24 hours before the FAA grounded the fleet. They followed this up with a "We totally support Boeing" ad in a Seattle newspaper (probably because both companies have killed people by cutting costs) which came out 12 hours before the story broke about the FBI investigation, and all the specifics of how badly Boeing hosed up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Alaska decided to repeatedly punch themselves in the dick, despite having no Max airplanes delivered yet.

Initially, they put out a statement saying that the Max was totally safe, which was 24 hours before the FAA grounded the fleet. They followed this up with a "We totally support Boeing" ad in a Seattle newspaper (probably because both companies have killed people by cutting costs) which came out 12 hours before the story broke about the FBI investigation, and all the specifics of how badly Boeing hosed up.

Should've gone with Delta's "we fully support Boeings built in the 90s" policy

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It's like having a building with no ramps or elevators, inadequate fire doors, and poor ventilation because it passed code in 1975, but if you wanted to build that same building today you'd have to shell out for all that stuff to meet code.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Except even worse than that, apparently, because I guess you're allowed to build the same building again and ignore all the parts that aren't up to code today as long as it still has the same number of doors and windows?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Except even worse than that, apparently, because I guess you're allowed to build the same building again and ignore all the parts that aren't up to code today as long as it still has the same number of doors and windows?

More like, you can build an entirely NEW building but you have to put the old foyer on it.

Edit: seriously, the max (and the ng, and the “classic”) are all new airplanes compared to the original 100/200. From the cockpit door back anyway. Forward of that it’s mostly the 1960’s

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 7, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nah, it’s that you can build a new building but the size of each floor has to be the same. It can be as tall or as short as you like. Also, plumbing has to be the same, but electrical can be different

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah I couldn't get my mom to listen to me that the 737-700 isn't a Max.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

It's like when I obtained a permit to "renovate" my garage, and all I had to do was retain something from the original.

I chose a 10X6 section of concrete slab. Went from this

to this

hobbesmaster posted:

We were on vacation in Florida when the MAX went down. We were a tad concerned, since we flew Southwest.

Turns out they have a small percentage of them; the bulk of their fleet is older types. Rode the -700 down & back.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 7, 2019

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DP. Have a photo.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 7, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Grandfather in a whole bunch of ancient poo poo on top of the pilots' ratings I guess

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

More like, you can build an entirely NEW building but you have to put the old foyer on it.

Edit: seriously, the max (and the ng, and the “classic”) are all new airplanes compared to the original 100/200. From the cockpit door back anyway. Forward of that it’s mostly the 1960’s

Well the trim controls ain't in the galley!

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sagebrush posted:

You can change the number of doors and windows too, but it still has to be more or less the same shape and you have to call it the same thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can build a new skyscraper with more floors as long as the the superintendent’s office, the mechanical room, and the coffee machine are in the same places.

The mechanical room is actually on a different floor now, but that’s allowed because the elevator will detect when the superintendent intends to go to that floor and reroute accordingly.

One day the elevator started a fire and sent the superintendent, the firefighters, and the fleeing residents to the mechanical floor, where they perished.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the Delta Flight Museum in Atlanta worth a visit?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Economy $68 - 1 pc cabin luggage incl.
Business $345 - 1 pc cabin luggage, 1 pc checked luggage, meal service, seating in acft's Faraday cage incl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PainterofCrap posted:

DP. Have a photo.

737 MAX POWER