Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

In the related stories:

quote:

The Simpsons may face the axe after studio Fox was bought out by Disney, who may consider the long-running comedy too risky for their family-friendly image. Yeardley Smith, who voices Lisa Simpson, suggested that the show runners would rather cancel the series rather than risk having to change the tone of the show and alter its legacy.

The show currently has a contract to run for two more seasons, through to 2021.

‘When you’re dealing with something that is still so culturally relevant, and sort of such a pillar of our culture… if you’re going to mess with that, that’s some pretty risky territory,’ she said.

‘So my feeling is — and I could be completely wrong — is that they would cancel it before they would change it [creatively].’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/06/simpsons-bosses-rather-cancel-show-alter-legacy-disney-merger-9124755/?ito=cbshare

Yeah god forbid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Junk posted:

I think this was actually the episode where I realized the quality had dropped past the point of no return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Agwph2BqB8

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Samsonadzes

quote:

It almost immediately became a "hit", "taking Georgia by storm" and "sho[oting] to the number two spot among the most-popular shows on one of Georgia's main TV channels".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m really not into discussing a 10 year old girl’s sexual preferences, Mr. Jean, but I’m pretty sure until further notice that is my new lowest point of the Simpsons

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
It's even worse

she's 8 :eng99:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PostNouveau posted:

In the related stories:

Yeah god forbid

We can't keep airing the Simpsons! It's too edgy! Too cutting-edge! They're pissing off every power broker in America and its bringing the house of mouse down!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

bart has had 21 girlfriends https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Bart%27s_Love_Interests

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

One of them gets pregnant

And not in the flash-forward episodes where he has kids.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That was his teacher.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok but how many women have tried to seduce Homer? Mindy, Lurleen...?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sounds about average?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

That was his teacher.

Nah there's an episode where he accidentally saves the town so the mayor gives him a drivers license and he meets a 15-year-old in another town voiced by Natalie Portman and she assumes he's 16 and she later gets pregnant by someone else, but it's played for a minute like it might be Bart's.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

PostNouveau posted:

Nah there's an episode where he accidentally saves the town so the mayor gives him a drivers license and he meets a 15-year-old in another town voiced by Natalie Portman and she assumes he's 16 and she later gets pregnant by someone else, but it's played for a minute like it might be Bart's.

Bobby got Luanne pregnant once and no one bats an eye!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

PostNouveau posted:

In the related stories:

Yeah god forbid

Lol they say this while also owning family guy and iasip

Edit: oh wait that’s just speculation from the show runners

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 7, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

quote:

rather than risk having to change the tone of the show and alter its legacy.

still so culturally relevant, and sort of such a pillar of our culture

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
al jean is poison made flesh

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

He’s not wrong that it’s still a pillar of our culture. Just nothing past season 11 is.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
that's not al jean, it's yeardley smith

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's crazy to think that The Simpsons is, on average, one of the worst television shows in history.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

it always kind of bugged me that "yvan eht nioj" as they sing it is absolutely nowhere near "join the navy" backwards, though the episode itself is amusing enough

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Fister Roboto posted:

It's crazy to think that The Simpsons is, on average, one of the worst television shows in history.

A genuine testament to how good the early seasons were.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the one tonight, the Jon Lovitz theater director is being a huge prima donna during their rehearsals for Oklahoma, so the cast riots and tosses him out. Marge takes over as director. She decides Oklahoma is too complicated and they should do something smaller. The family decides she should rip off Hamilton and Lisa offers to write one about Jebediah Springfield.

Krusty finds out about the play through its star, Sideshow Mel, and decides he wants to air it live. They sign a deal but then Mel drops out for The Tempest. Professor Frink turns out to be a surprisingly good singer so he takes over (Josh Groban really half-asses it here as Frink's singing voice).

For some reason they filming it live outdoors and it rains so hard that the town is flooding. They pull it off anyway.

Homer takes Maggie to a Daddy & Me class that's very popular because the teacher is hot. He has, like, weird fantasies throughout the show about the teacher and him in the nursery rhymes they sing.

Bart does the floss dance. John Lithgow has a brief cameo as himself.

For some reason, the credits roll over a music video for a live-action black metal band all dressed like Ned Flanders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BEvh6HSQc0

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

For some reason, the credits roll over a music video for a live-action black metal band all dressed like Ned Flanders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BEvh6HSQc0

I think they've been a real band for a while(that video was published 2016), so it makes sense that the writers are just now shamelessly referencing it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm shocked they had Bart do the floss dance, it's only been unpopular for a few months now. I figured they wouldn't hop on that for a year or two!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm shocked they had Bart do the floss dance, it's only been unpopular for a few months now. I figured they wouldn't hop on that for a year or two!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbsiZQganXc

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

"Sir, we can save $17 if we only use the keyframes when Marge dances."
"Do it."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Lmao that like dislike ratio. That's why Simpsons keeps getting made.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 9, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Did Flanders even appear in this episode? :cmon:

Idea for an episode: Flanders starts writing his memoirs, Insert Connecting Plot Here, a hardcore metal band reads it and is inspired by it. Special musical guest Okilly Dokilly as themselves. Makes far more sense than just sticking one of the songs over the end credits out-of-context.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

Did Flanders even appear in this episode? :cmon:

Idea for an episode: Flanders starts writing his memoirs, Insert Connecting Plot Here, a hardcore metal band reads it and is inspired by it. Special musical guest Okilly Dokilly as themselves. Makes far more sense than just sticking one of the songs over the end credits out-of-context.

I don't think he was even in the cast for the play, which is kinda weird now that I think about it because he had such a big part in the last community theater episode. If he was in the episode at all, he didn't have a big role.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol 'more than a passing resemblance' you don't say

e: watching this Samsonadzes episode and it does seem significantly more competent than modern Simpsons

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 8, 2019

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Terrible.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

In the related stories:

Yeah god forbid

So Family Guy is also getting the axe then?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Has the Simpsons ever used live action footage outside of a Treehouse of Horror episode before?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
That episode where it turned out all the male Simpsons have some weird early onset dementia always left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, we have this whole big deal about Lisa's entire reason for being being shaken by not figuring out one stupid puzzle, and instead of just having her realize everyone has off days or weak points, we have it so all her lady relatives are geniuses in Lisa approved fields (no lady oil tycoons or Serena Joy style pundits) and every bloke in her family is doomed to go senile at age ten. It's weirdly mean-spirited in a way the show doesn't seem concious of. Also, Grandpa knows about this, but didn't remember all his cousins and aunts and the like were super successful?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mind Loving Owl posted:

That episode where it turned out all the male Simpsons have some weird early onset dementia always left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, we have this whole big deal about Lisa's entire reason for being being shaken by not figuring out one stupid puzzle, and instead of just having her realize everyone has off days or weak points, we have it so all her lady relatives are geniuses in Lisa approved fields (no lady oil tycoons or Serena Joy style pundits) and every bloke in her family is doomed to go senile at age ten. It's weirdly mean-spirited in a way the show doesn't seem concious of. Also, Grandpa knows about this, but didn't remember all his cousins and aunts and the like were super successful?

I’ve never heard it put that way before and now I’m sad

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Why isn't Lisa kicking the air and moving toward him, and if he gets kicked it's his own fault?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Have Okilly Dokilly changed up their act any? I remember when they first showed up none of their songs actually had anything to do with The Simpsons of Flanders and I think they were just their old bands song... but they were dressed like Ned.

If you're going to have a gimmick then go whole hog like Arnocorps and dress like Arnie, make every song about Arnie and try and sound like Arnie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Applewhite posted:

Has the Simpsons ever used live action footage outside of a Treehouse of Horror episode before?

Daddicus Finch.

:smithicide: