Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

Anakin is a huge dork, though?

and luke for that matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Jedi Council specifically didn’t promote Anakin to the rank of Master because he was a huge dork, always goofing around with his robots and his drat robot arm.

Mace Windu looked down on that stuff like it was Games Workshop.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This creature is apparently part of the macguffin in IX, an "Oracle" that Kylo seeks out or is summoned by:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Star Wars Episode IX: Unused Farscape Animatronics looks wild!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gonz posted:

Star Wars Episode IX: Unused Farscape Animatronics looks wild!

More farscape would probably make it better. :)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Cross-Section posted:

This creature is apparently part of the macguffin in IX, an "Oracle" that Kylo seeks out or is summoned by:

This is way too interesting for me to believe it's actual ST material.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Oh an ithorian spider stop a giant baby pigman.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Yeah thats a squashed ithorian head

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wonder what the weird logic is behind the decision to excise all the iconic Star Wars aliens from the sequels is? You'd think it would be obvious to sell action figures of popular things with new accessories instead of Brown Pug-Faced alien #23245. Even if people aren't nerds like us in this thread and don't know the words "Twi"Lek, or "Rodian" they still know, "Oh that's the Greedo alien!" or "Jabba's Slave Dancers". It's even weird considering how creatively bankrupt the sequels are that they didn't go for the easy nostalgia points and not having to expend effort on new designs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The new trilogy has been very restrained in that fashion. It's not just that there aren't many of the old alien/droid/space ship designs, there are very few new designs either. It makes the universe seems very sparse.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Well that may be one aspect of the Disney wars that makes sense - this is a galaxy much reduced by upheaval, hence how weak the governments and fragile the militaries seem to be. The old familiar alien races have withdrawn or scattered.

In actual history and the present day, the weakening or loss of central authority in a society can lead to an explosion of sectarian violence as the grudges held against scapegoated minorities can now be indulged. Maybe the Duros are getting the hell outta dodge and etc?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Blood Boils posted:

Well that may be one aspect of the Disney wars that makes sense - this is a galaxy much reduced by upheaval, hence how weak the governments and fragile the militaries seem to be. The old familiar alien races have withdrawn or scattered.

In actual history and the present day, the weakening or loss of central authority in a society can lead to an explosion of sectarian violence as the grudges held against scapegoated minorities can now be indulged. Maybe the Duros are getting the hell outta dodge and etc?

But we're not seeing a removal of aliens, but instead a weird switcheroo. Like the aliens didn't go away, they just all became ugly scrotums.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

galagazombie posted:

But we're not seeing a removal of aliens, but instead a weird switcheroo. Like the aliens didn't go away, they just all became ugly scrotums.

The aliens were a big part of the “Real sets! Practical effects!” campaign. The trouble is that it's hard to make wearable alien costumes that have truly bizarre anatomy, so the aliens who aren’t all CGI are all ballsacks with giant jaws.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's time for that pic again as illustration:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

YaketySass posted:

Prequels win because Jar Jar Binks.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe we think the prequel and OT aliens were better because we grew up with them. Who knows, maybe generation z will grow up with an undying love for the goblin alien that likes to gamble.

ETA: I do like the fish nuns, I just wish they acted funnier.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fish nuns were good on account of we got more than 30 seconds of them so they could be more than just background art.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

YaketySass posted:

A lot more football shaped heads in the sequel trilogy, whereas the prequels have more eggs on a stick head and also a bit more body variety.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zoran posted:

The aliens were a big part of the “Real sets! Practical effects!” campaign. The trouble is that it's hard to make wearable alien costumes that have truly bizarre anatomy, so the aliens who aren’t all CGI are all ballsacks with giant jaws.

I wonder if there isn't a real shortage of physical effects people in Hollywood these days. Every young effects artist has been getting educated in CGI for so long. I wonder if there just isn't any young blood to replace the old puppeteers and such as they retire or die. Maybe part of the reason the physical aliens look crap now is that it's a bunch of people with little experience winging it, and there aren't enough old hands left to train/teach them how to do it right.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm the dinosaur named Coolman.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

galagazombie posted:

I wonder if there isn't a real shortage of physical effects people in Hollywood these days. Every young effects artist has been getting educated in CGI for so long. I wonder if there just isn't any young blood to replace the old puppeteers and such as they retire or die. Maybe part of the reason the physical aliens look crap now is that it's a bunch of people with little experience winging it, and there aren't enough old hands left to train/teach them how to do it right.

There is some talent, but if you watch stuff like the show FaceOff they create 500 Buffy the Vampire Slayer demons that's just a guy in a mask, rather than the elaborate puppetry of Stan Winston, or the variously animated models of Phil Tippet.

Face masks may still be cheaper than CGI if you just need a butthead Star Trek alien, but the others are more or less going extinct (Winston has been extinct for a decade). People still learn how to do it, but more as an artform in itself, or because they love cool rubber monsters, rather than something that'll be used for "serious" movie effects.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Old things good, new things bad

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Of course, the designs of the ST can't really be explained by a lack of practical talent in the effects crew. Maz for instance is fully CG, but looks just as nondescript as the others. It must have been a conscious creative decision.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mooey Cow posted:

Of course, the designs of the ST can't really be explained by a lack of practical talent in the effects crew. Maz for instance is fully CG, but looks just as nondescript as the others. It must have been a conscious creative decision.

True, when you look at that image comparing the prequel/sequel aliens like half the prequel aliens are still people in costumes. Yet they still look immeasurably more creative and memorable than the sequels.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think part of the reason the aliens in the sequel trilogy aren't as memorable is that they're barely on screen, and even when they show up they're just set dressing and almost never the focus of the action. How many original non-humans a) get more than 10 seconds screen time or b) speak a compete sentence?

-Snoke
-Maz
-Unkar Plutt
-The nuns on Luke's Island
-Porgs

Not that a lot of aliens (other than Chewie/Yoda/Jabba) were playing a major role in the OT, but some of them would at least be around long enough to make an impression and actually interact with the main characters-

-Jawas basically move the plot along for the first half hour of ANH
-Greedo gets a full scene
-Bib Fortuna and Salacious Crumb are largely set dressing for the Jabba stuff, but at least get enough reaction shots to establish personality
-Ewoks are like a full third of RoTJ
-Admiral Ackbar/the Mon Calamari
-Nien Nunb

Then of course the prequels are loaded with aliens that actually have a function in the story- the Gungans, the Nemoidians, Sebulba, Dex, the Kaminoans, the Geonosians, etc.

None of this is a value judgement, but the ST has absolutely made less of an effort to involve aliens in the story than any of the Lucas movies ever did.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 9, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

General Dog posted:

I think part of the reason the aliens in the sequel trilogy aren't as memorable is that they're barely on screen,

How much screen time did the Twi'lek, Max Reebo or the Gamorreans really get?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Enough to make an impression through a combination of colors and silhouette? You've got orange squidface man, the Twi'leks with their head tails, the Gamorreans which are green pig/orc men... The ST are all, like, brown with fur and a snout. I'm not even sure if they're not supposed to be variants of the same species.

Also, it's funny that people flip out at the PT for racist caricatures when there's that dude with the white beard, narrow eyes, and so on carrying the pack on his back.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Dog posted:

None of this is a value judgement, but the ST has absolutely made less of an effort to involve aliens in the story than any of the Lucas movies ever did.

It's the same with the robots. There's BB-8 and evil BB-8, what others were there?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 9, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Enough to make an impression through a combination of colors and silhouette?

That's what I'm saying, they basically have the same amount of screen time but their designs are a lot better and varied so they're more memorable.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

It's the same with the robots. There's BB-8 and evil BB-8, what others were there?

L3, who should've been a ST character, really. And K2. Not technically ST designs though, I guess. Which is strange because even R1 had some neat alien designs (that creepy skull dude with the breath mask).

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 9, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

How much screen time did the Twi'lek, Max Reebo or the Gamorreans really get?

That’s why I didn’t talk about those characters

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

L3, who should've been a ST character, really. And K2. Not technically ST designs though, I guess. Which is strange because even R1 had some neat alien designs (that creepy skull dude with the breath mask).

R1 in general is the odd man out of the Disney films when it comes to design work. The ships, droids and costumes were all distinct and memorable while simultaneously looking like they come from a deleted scene of the OT. Say what you will about the film but they absolutely nailed it design wise.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah Rogue One is ultimately pretty hollow, but it is so gorgeous on the design and cinematography fronts that it almost doesn’t matter. Almost.

The Death Star eclipse is a breathtaking shot.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Hey you big dumb bastards.

Celebration begins on Thursday.

Gird your loins.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Someone appears to be putting together a comprehensive list of the spoilers which are known or thought to be especially credible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Someone appears to be putting together a comprehensive list of the spoilers which are known or thought to be especially credible.

Finally, some drat storyboarding compilations.

Someone did something similar at this point in 2015, and when the movie came out it was about 60 to 70% accurate.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

General Dog posted:

I think part of the reason the aliens in the sequel trilogy aren't as memorable is that they're barely on screen, and even when they show up they're just set dressing and almost never the focus of the action. How many original non-humans a) get more than 10 seconds screen time or b) speak a compete sentence?

-Snoke
-Maz
-Unkar Plutt
-The nuns on Luke's Island
-Porgs

Not that a lot of aliens (other than Chewie/Yoda/Jabba) were playing a major role in the OT, but some of them would at least be around long enough to make an impression and actually interact with the main characters-

-Jawas basically move the plot along for the first half hour of ANH
-Greedo gets a full scene
-Bib Fortuna and Salacious Crumb are largely set dressing for the Jabba stuff, but at least get enough reaction shots to establish personality
-Ewoks are like a full third of RoTJ
-Admiral Ackbar/the Mon Calamari
-Nien Nunb

Then of course the prequels are loaded with aliens that actually have a function in the story- the Gungans, the Nemoidians, Sebulba, Dex, the Kaminoans, the Geonosians, etc.

The Tognath? I only know his name from a game, I don't even remember seeing it in the movie itself. But it's a bitching design.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yep, that's the guy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bor Gullet loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

galagazombie posted:

R1 in general is the odd man out of the Disney films when it comes to design work. The ships, droids and costumes were all distinct and memorable while simultaneously looking like they come from a deleted scene of the OT. Say what you will about the film
It's extremely good?