Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Are there any upgrade inheritance shenanigans in T that I should be aware of?

So far I've given everybody at least a little bit of upgrades, but Tyranado, Great Mazinger, and Swordfish have gotten the bulk of my funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

I've been replaying V and X to prepare my fighting spirit and I'm super mad about (X spoilers) there being no way to save Kittan in X. That is all.

Well, sadly, there will never be a savable Kittan in SRW. The director of TTGL apparently made that request personally.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Alacron posted:

So far I've given everybody at least a little bit of upgrades, but Tyranado, Great Mazinger, and Swordfish have gotten the bulk of my funds.

The only thing I know of to be aware of is that Crossbone Gundam X-1 Full Cloth inherits upgrades from the mass-produced F91, not X-1 Kai Kai.

Kchama posted:

Well, sadly, there will never be a savable Kittan in SRW. The director of TTGL apparently made that request personally.

From what I understand TTGL's director specifically vetoed Kamina being savable as well. The only reason you got to keep Kamina in Operation Extend was because TTGL's inclusion in OE was essentially plotless/units only.

This is one of the reasons why despite being a cool show TTGL makes for a pretty bad fit in SRW though - they just don't have any real flexibility with how it's used because of directorial restrictions, its setting is idiosyncratic enough that it basically has to be a centerpiece, and the nature of its ultimate villain strains the suspension of disbelief that whatever OG villain they come up with could be a bigger threat than it. Case in point: in Z3.1 they didn't even try.

I loved using Gurren Lagann in all the games it was in, but at this point they've done pretty much everything with the license they possibly can and I wouldn't be particularly sad if it never got in SRW again. In general I'd like to see priority for repeat entries go to things whose last appearance predates V (and thus English releases).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Reiska posted:

This is one of the reasons why despite being a cool show TTGL makes for a pretty bad fit in SRW though - they just don't have any real flexibility with how it's used because of directorial restrictions, its setting is idiosyncratic enough that it basically has to be a centerpiece, and the nature of its ultimate villain strains the suspension of disbelief that whatever OG villain they come up with could be a bigger threat than it. Case in point: in Z3.1 they didn't even try.

That's not true. In Z3 as a whole they "tried" by making the main villains a complete copy of the Anti-Spiral but nuh-uh infinity plus ONE oppressors of the entire universe.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You forgot the part where they are beyond human comprehension and then they attack by dropping a fireball on you.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Caphi posted:

That's not true. In Z3 as a whole they "tried" by making the main villains a complete copy of the Anti-Spiral but nuh-uh infinity plus ONE oppressors of the entire universe.

That's Z3.2. In Z3.1, they didn't try, but in Z3.2 they did and...he was boring at best.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Simon's character arc in Gurren Lagann just doesn't work with Kamina alive. It's a lot more central than saving Four or Puru or whatever. Kittan should be a secret though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

WrightOfWay posted:

Simon's character arc in Gurren Lagann just doesn't work with Kamina alive. It's a lot more central than saving Four or Puru or whatever. Kittan should be a secret though.

You could just pull a Gai, where Kamina appears to die but then rejoins way the gently caress later after the character development.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That was one of the best parts of W, when PoD Akito re learns the Double combo attack with older Gai.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Tae posted:

That was one of the best parts of W, when PoD Akito re learns the Double combo attack with older Gai.

Nadesico will never be as good as it was in W ever again. W is the peak of Nadesico as an IP.

EDIT: Nadesico's peak for unit strength was obviously J, I'm taking strictly about plot here.

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 7, 2019

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Reiska posted:

I loved using Gurren Lagann in all the games it was in, but at this point they've done pretty much everything with the license they possibly can and I wouldn't be particularly sad if it never got in SRW again. In general I'd like to see priority for repeat entries go to things whose last appearance predates V (and thus English releases).

I like the first half of Gurren Lagann and strongly dislike the second half.

Guess which part gets in every time?? (except the time it was a new series, I guess)

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Prism posted:

I like the first half of Gurren Lagann and strongly dislike the second half.

Guess which part gets in every time?? (except the time it was a new series, I guess)

Four of the times TTGL has been in were the Z series, so it using part two three times kinda makes sense. Can't really go backwards. And not counting OE, it only appeared once outside of the Z series: X, which, yeah was part two.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Alacron posted:

I went over this earlier, but the chains where you can put someone else in the other unit are:
Billbine -> Bellvine
F91 -> Full Cloth
Nu Gundam -> Hi Nu Gundam

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Inferno-sama posted:

Four of the times TTGL has been in were the Z series, so it using part two three times kinda makes sense. Can't really go backwards. And not counting OE, it only appeared once outside of the Z series: X, which, yeah was part two.

...It feels like more. (You are correct though, I forgot so many were Z)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Kamina even came back as a weird hypeghost or whatever in Z3.2.

I think there's stuff you can do with Gurren Lagann in SRW because there's basically infinite crossovers that could happen and have cool moments with.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Stage 31 thoughts: God it's wonderful to see everything flipped on its head. Kamille's the reasonable one saying 'Ok, I don't blame you for saying no' and walking away! Judau's the one about to go into a Kamille-style tantrum telling Amuro what a disappointment he is!

Koji's delivering proper and sober life advice!! 'What if... not all Newtypes fly up into space?' Amuro: :psyduck: 'Look all I'm saying is live the life you can, not the life you know you'll hate'

I love Koji and Amuro's interaction :3 "You're really raising the bar here, Koji!!"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

It's really weird having a route split (after stage 15) where not all the UC Gundams go the same way.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Hunter Noventa posted:

It's really weird having a route split (after stage 15) where not all the UC Gundams go the same way.

Yeah, I really like it -- and it's disappointing that there are still all-Gundam splits, because I really love it when Gundams get spliced in to other themes, like Kamille being approached by the Machine Primevals because of his hangups with Char.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh yeah bring back Eureka Seven. It deserves more than one game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
After seeing the Trider intro with the video my wife demands we save before splits and see all the routes.

I think she's gonna be disappointed with the Gundams but I guess we'll see.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh yeah bring back Eureka Seven. It deserves more than one game.

I'd be really, really, really careful with that wish. I'm just as sad that it only appeared in Z and didn't even come back for the sequels but something tells me that it'd be really risky to ask for more E7. I'm not sure what, since it never got any material beyond the original series which was pretty good, but something is scaring me anyways.

Rascyc posted:

After seeing the Trider intro with the video my wife demands we save before splits and see all the routes.

Doesn't she know you're meant to NG+ for that?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Rascyc posted:

I'm real upset we didn't get the full Great Mightgaine sequence. Just more of that stuff in general cos it's super cool! Gimme Voltes and Combattler and give me both full combinations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd be really, really, really careful with that wish. I'm just as sad that it only appeared in Z and didn't even come back for the sequels but something tells me that it'd be really risky to ask for more E7. I'm not sure what, since it never got any material beyond the original series which was pretty good, but something is scaring me anyways.

And yet I still wish it came back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHP_9heGEKo

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Reiska posted:

The only thing I know of to be aware of is that Crossbone Gundam X-1 Full Cloth inherits upgrades from the mass-produced F91, not X-1 Kai Kai.

From what I understand TTGL's director specifically vetoed Kamina being savable as well. The only reason you got to keep Kamina in Operation Extend was because TTGL's inclusion in OE was essentially plotless/units only.

On the other hand, if you limit it to just the beginning of the second half of TTGL, then you have a pretty typical super robot storyline of horrible alien space-monsters coming from nowhere and attacking the city where the heroes live, so it's pretty easy to work than into the story by just changing the villain who's sending them. There'd also be a good angle for developing Mayor Simon and civic responsibility and stuff like that - makes him more of an ordinary guy with everyday responsibilities.

As for Kamina, maybe if the endgame stretch takes place in some kind of extra-dimensional hyper-reality bullshit, then everyone's collective will can incarnate Kamina and anybody else from death into existence.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey now, Ao was good. Weird that they cancelled the second half with no warning though, kinda made for a cliffhanger ending. Wonder what was up with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wasn't there some frigging recent E7 product which revealed that Eureka accidentally killed Renton and the entire ending of E7 was just her making up a fantasy in her head to overcome her guilt?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't there some frigging recent E7 product which revealed that Eureka accidentally killed Renton and the entire ending of E7 was just her making up a fantasy in her head to overcome her guilt?

Wouldn't surprise me. It's amazing how every single piece of E7 media after E7 itself seems intent on ruining the original or interpreting it in a negative light. Let the hopeful bright love story stay a hopeful bright love story, goddamn.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As much as I'm overall enjoying SRW T's plot and crossover stuff a whole lot, what it does well makes what it really doesn't stand out a whole lot more than most games in the series. I've got three big beefs with T:

1. How weirdly peripheral some of the series are. Tryder's more or less impossible to actually have a story for, sure, and Might Gaine and Gunbuster both have had recent focus so I'm not bothered by them having very little to do in this game, but GaoGaiGar, for all the talk about a big comeback and how it's in this game to appeal to western audiences, is kind of barely there? There's like three stages I would qualify as being proper GGG stages, there's barely any villains in it, the animations outside of Big Volfogg and King J-Der are bad, and Star GaoGaiGar is an incredibly disappointing upgrade. It's not great, folks.

2. The backhalf of the game's original G Gundam plot is some gross rear end poo poo and I wish they would have done literally anything else.

3. This is less a quibble with the game and more the franchise as a whole, but painting Char - any Char, but especially CCA Char - as a Hard Man Making Hard Choices For The Good Of Humanity loving sucks out loud and they should stop doing it. I get why you might want to make the Axis drop more of an actual ideological battle instead of Char basically streaming "DEBATE ME" at Amuro with a gun to humanity's head, but the whole thing feels like some weird revisionist history that plays into the Char Was Right-type fetishism a lot of UC fans have. I don't care for it.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 8, 2019

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Was that the most recent one, IIRC the last one I heard of was how Renton and Eureka tried to have kids but said kids were born and then turned to stone, and there was something about re-writing reality so the kids could survive, gently caress whatever happens to literally everyone else?

Yeah, when a nice love story can turn into that, uh....

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Ashsaber posted:

Was that the most recent one, IIRC the last one I heard of was how Renton and Eureka tried to have kids but said kids were born and then turned to stone, and there was something about re-writing reality so the kids could survive, gently caress whatever happens to literally everyone else?

Yeah, when a nice love story can turn into that, uh....

That was AO which was so bad it retconned itself out of existence.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
With regards to point 3, it's not easy to avoid since SRW is generally a lot of "what if?" stuff to get antagonists into your party for more robits/explosions/interactions and part of that is reforming them or "hey greater good etc...." stuff to make that happen. Not saying they couldn't do it better.

Overall the plot of SRW T is pretty weak and the crossovers are what save it, although I think it does the latter better than V or X (not that either of those two were bad at it).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I beat X only a little while ago but I distinctly remember Char having instances where he talks with people from the future UC timelines and is like "Well, poo poo, I guess my plan for space peace wouldn't have actually worked."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I beat X only a little while ago but I distinctly remember Char having instances where he talks with people from the future UC timelines and is like "Well, poo poo, I guess my plan for space peace wouldn't have actually worked."

Yeah, someone from G-Reco goes to Char "Yo, we're from the future and that place is full of jungles, mankind hosed up a lot but we also turned a lot of things around."

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Tribladeofchaos posted:

That was AO which was so bad it retconned itself out of existence.

Then they actually made something after that? I can't believe the franchise isn't totally dead by now if they actually made such a stupid move.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Policenaut posted:

This still doesn't play for me since it presupposes that Char actually thought that was he was doing the best thing for humanity instead of the reality of him being ready to throw Neo Zeon and Earth and everything under the bus just so he can get his Destined Battle with Amuro

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

3. This is less a quibble with the game and more the franchise as a whole, but painting Char - any Char, but especially CCA Char - as a Hard Man Making Hard Choices For The Good Of Humanity loving sucks out loud and they should stop doing it. I get why you might want to make the Axis drop more of an actual ideological battle instead of Char basically streaming "DEBATE ME" at Amuro with a gun to humanity's head, but the whole thing feels like some weird revisionist history that plays into the Char Was Right-type fetishism a lot of UC fans have. I don't care for it.

That feels like it's simplifying things a bit.

Like, Char was an rear end in a top hat in the middle of history's worst mid-life crisis, and his motive isn't even "Debate me!" but "Fight to the death! I'm pretty much only in this to go out in a blaze of glory!", but you seem to be ignoring how loving terrible the Federation is getting by CCA. Char's seen everything go to hell and everyone wants him to do something because he's Char Aznable, last hope, so fine! He's loving doing something! He's starting a war, and to quote another silver tongued figure commonly associated with red...

"It is the last war, because if it does not cure the world for ever, it will destroy it.”

Char's complicated in his being a piece of poo poo. He does genuinely want to fulfill his fathers dreams and he feels a need to live up to everyone's hopes for him... but he also hates any kind of responsibility and just wants to duck it all to get in badass fights. The Axis drop is a way to square the circle, to live up to his obligations and maybe fix things without having to (UGH) be responsible again. And if it didn't work?

He'd be dead! No problems with the plan at all!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

As much as I'm overall enjoying SRW T's plot and crossover stuff a whole lot, what it does well makes what it really doesn't stand out a whole lot more than most games in the series. I've got three big beefs with T:

1. How weirdly peripheral some of the series are. Tryder's more or less impossible to actually have a story for, sure, and Might Gaine and Gunbuster both have had recent focus so I'm not bothered by them having very little to do in this game, but GaoGaiGar, for all the talk about a big comeback and how it's in this game to appeal to western audiences, is kind of barely there? There's like three stages I would qualify as being proper GGG stages, there's barely any villains in it, the animations outside of Big Volfogg and King J-Der are bad, and Star GaoGaiGar is an incredibly disappointing upgrade. It's not great, folks.

2. The backhalf of the game's original G Gundam plot is some gross rear end poo poo and I wish they would have done literally anything else.

1. What sort of hype up was this? I never heard anything of the sort from anything official. Hell, I don't think it got the twitter hype other series got. Are you mistaking fanhype for something the creators said?

2. Can't comment on this yet.

3. Eh? Like, don't get me wrong, Char's a lovely rear end in a top hat who gets over-fetishized, but this was super an ideological moment for him. He ALSO wanted to get his big final battle with Amuro done again For Real This Time, but he was also doing his whole "This is for the best" nonsense. It was kind a big thing in Z that he was getting fed up with poo poo.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

Kamina even came back as a weird hypeghost or whatever in Z3.2.

I think there's stuff you can do with Gurren Lagann in SRW because there's basically infinite crossovers that could happen and have cool moments with.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of stuff they could theoretically do with Gurren Lagann that would be interesting. It's just that TTGL's director doesn't give them the freedom to do it that Nadesico's (for example) did. Ultimately, they're limited by what the license allows, and the license doesn't really allow anything other than to play the story mostly straight - the only change they've been allowed to make, from what we've seen, is letting Simon get his happy ending with Nia.

Re: Char I have seen nothing in any of the recent games to convince me that the Z universe's version of him isn't basically the best version of the character that's ever been written, and as I recall they pulled that off by having him see (via the Black History plot device from Turn A, IIRC?) that if he followed his canon plot progression Bad poo poo Would Happen, leading him to Not Do That. But managing to keep the Axis drop plot in the game by having Full Frontal do it instead. X flirted with the same idea (vis a vis Neo Zeon!Char mingling with the G-Reco folks), but there's little indication in X that it actually changes him to any significant degree - his primary concern right up to the end of the game is still getting back to his own universe with Amuro so they can have their fated duel.

When you think about it, Master Asia and CCA Char are basically the same character, with the same overall goals - Char's (stated) plan is to drop Axis on Earth to make it uninhabitable by humans to force all the Earthnoids to go to space and evolve into Newtypes, Master Asia's stated plan is to basically kill all of humanity on Earth to turn the planet into a nature preserve. At least in SRW, Master Asia just (arguably) works a lot better as a villain because you're never really shown any other sign of him but the one that's insane and doing bad poo poo with DG cells; the Master Asia that Domon really respects and loves is never really shown in the games. Is it different in the actual show? I admit I've never watched it (I don't watch much TV in general). Meanwhile, we see a lot of Quattro, who is basically Char at his best, writ large upon SRW - even in the games that don't feature him _as_ Quattro, his influence looms large on Kamille; and in fact Kamille comes pretty close to being written as at least partially sympathetic to Neo Zeon's stated ideals, even if he harshly disagrees with the methods they invariably end up employing, in these games.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Last chapter for the day got me New ARHAN, and oh my is that a pretty finisher. Really want to change Angela's BGM though, Digital Deadline gets a bit annoying pretty fast. I was thinking of going with Aim for the Top so she can be murder sisters with Noriko, but have any of you goons found a better match for her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Reiska posted:

When you think about it, Master Asia and CCA Char are basically the same character, with the same overall goals - Char's (stated) plan is to drop Axis on Earth to make it uninhabitable by humans to force all the Earthnoids to go to space and evolve into Newtypes, Master Asia's stated plan is to basically kill all of humanity on Earth to turn the planet into a nature preserve. At least in SRW, Master Asia just (arguably) works a lot better as a villain because you're never really shown any other sign of him but the one that's insane and doing bad poo poo with DG cells; the Master Asia that Domon really respects and loves is never really shown in the games. Is it different in the actual show? I admit I've never watched it (I don't watch much TV in general). Meanwhile, we see a lot of Quattro, who is basically Char at his best, writ large upon SRW - even in the games that don't feature him _as_ Quattro, his influence looms large on Kamille; and in fact Kamille comes pretty close to being written as at least partially sympathetic to Neo Zeon's stated ideals, even if he harshly disagrees with the methods they invariably end up employing, in these games.

Master Asia's original self is shown VERY briefly in the original show... as a trap to lure in Domon so he can betray him and try to murder him. Like, there's absolutely no goodness in him at any point, unlike Char who isn't permanently evil.

Also I'm pretty sure Kamille is so sympathetic so they can allude to the weird original plan where Gyunei was actually Kamille.