Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Are we still on track for the lowest scoring season in yonks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
One goal off a perfect round of tipping gently caress

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

3 shots at goal that went out on the full totally cost us the game that time. So god drat frustrating.

Also, not having Carlisle, Roberton or Hannebery and Steven (to a lesser degree) is really hurting us. Carlisle alone could easily have been enough to tip the scales of that.

Just one of those players on would have probably been enough to get over the line.

That or kicking MORE GOALS THEN POINTS FFS.

Meanwhile, I hope it lights a fire up their asses. 2 from 2 is a great start but you get complacent and clubs kick 5 goals on you in a quarter, like tonight. Too many had a poo poo game as well. Sinclair and Acres were both either poo poo or mostly shithouse. Plus Kent has been really mediocre so far, would drop him for Ben Long next week.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Just one of those players on would have probably been enough to get over the line.

That or kicking MORE GOALS THEN POINTS FFS.

Meanwhile, I hope it lights a fire up their asses. 2 from 2 is a great start but you get complacent and clubs kick 5 goals on you in a quarter, like tonight. Too many had a poo poo game as well. Sinclair and Acres were both either poo poo or mostly shithouse. Plus Kent has been really mediocre so far, would drop him for Ben Long next week.

Sincs is being hosed by the coaches desire to play him up forward - something that has never worked. Same with Acres but to a lesser degree. I really feel when we are so obviously lacking in the contest that not playing Acres in the guts is real stupid.

Dunstan is the most frustrating player in the team imo. I'd drop Dunstan, move Acres into the middle and bring in Long to replace him. Might leave us a bit small up forward but it's gotta be better.

Gresham :swoon:

Marshal is great in the ruck as well. Good luck getting in the team Billy.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If Martin doesn't get suspended then what the gently caress.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Of course he will be, that doesn’t seem worth worrying about.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Recalls all the other times he wasn't suspended, and then won a Brownlow because of it as well

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah but this time it was a blatant drive by elbow and the media have turned on him

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I know, but it just wouldn't surprise me with the MRO and all is what I'm saying.

Kane Cornes also tells it like it is, get rid of Barrett and his moronic columns and put this man in.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Diet Crack posted:

I know, but it just wouldn't surprise me with the MRO and all is what I'm saying.

Nah, it's alright. Those kinds of rulings only occur later in the season when the Brownlow bedding odds have firmed.

quote:

Kane Cornes also tells it like it is, get rid of Barrett and his moronic columns and put this man in.

Mate, don't say poo poo you can't take back. Kane Cornes is, somehow, the even dumber version of Graham Cornes. Controversial for the sake of it, completely unable to take any kind of criticism, and holds grudges forever.

At least Graham had the mental ability to argue his terrible opinions. Kane is just a moron.

Edit: I do, however, support getting rid of Barrett's columns.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 7, 2019

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

His opinions have been spot on when I've seen 'The Round So Far'

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don’t mind listening to kane if he’s one. You know what you’re going to get

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Rip AFLW teams, delisting, re-signing and trading begins tomorrow.

8 players must be delisted by clubs, they can be redrafted but other clubs might pick them up first.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

Rip AFLW teams, delisting, re-signing and trading begins tomorrow.

8 players must be delisted by clubs, they can be redrafted but other clubs might pick them up first.

Can we delist our AFLM side instead?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I think clubs can also choose to retain rookies and it counts towards the eight list changes, although note that clubs can only have at most two rookies.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Sincs is being hosed by the coaches desire to play him up forward - something that has never worked. Same with Acres but to a lesser degree. I really feel when we are so obviously lacking in the contest that not playing Acres in the guts is real stupid.

Dunstan is the most frustrating player in the team imo. I'd drop Dunstan, move Acres into the middle and bring in Long to replace him. Might leave us a bit small up forward but it's gotta be better.

Gresham :swoon:

Marshal is great in the ruck as well. Good luck getting in the team Billy.

Dropping Dunstan is really dumb I think. He is leading our contested possessions and tackles as well. I agree he is frustrating but I also think his low possession count is a factor the way the team plays. Very few of our boys are approaching 30disposals a game at the moment.

Meanwhile Acres has never really shown a huge amount in the middle, its a big risk putting him in the middle when Dunstan IS a known factor and plays his role. As far as Sinclair, I havent watched every centre bounce but he has been generally lining up on the wing the last two matches and has played well generally. Even playing from the forward arc, 9 handballs only is a big question mark over him. With Steven basically 100% back in next week, he would be the first to come out for me.

As far as Long, I would be dropping Kent for him before anyone else. Similar roles and frankly Kent has been disappointing after quite a few Melb people have talked him up.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

drunkill posted:

Carlton banner against St Kilda (winless at the bottom of the ladder) at Moorabbin Oval in Round 9 1983.

Anyone know the minimum/basic wage back then?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

And Carlton fans wonder why their club is kinda hated.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nutsngum posted:

And Carlton fans wonder why their club is kinda hated.

I think this is actually interesting, (not specifically Carlton, but for all clubs.) Do you know/understand the reasons other people might have an aversion to your club. For example, I am a Hawthorn supporter, but I think I know and understand exactly why some might hate us, (smug born to rule middle class fans, Jeff Kennett, Luke Hodge, James Sicily, Back to back to back recently, etc.) And also, how much of why you think people hate your club is the real reason people hate your club?

And also I think it is interesting why do you feel the way you do about a particular rival club? Is it because of a player, or a club official i.e gently caress Carlton because of John Elliot, or gently caress Hawthorn because of Luke Hodge or Jeff Kennett? Is it a learned historical rivalry, i.e. you hate them because you are supposed to hate them? Is there a specific incident in the past that soured you on a club, or gave you a soft spot for them? Because like teh reason one barracks for the club one barracks for, everyone would have a different story about each club they feel one way or another about.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was raised to hate the bombers and everything they have done in my conscious life has only reinforced that position.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The only team that my dad has a hatred for is Freo, and I was a teenager when they joined the league, so I didnt have it drummed into me, and now I dont care one way or the other about Freo, and will barrack for them over a bunch of other interstate teams.

He also feels strongly about Port.

I dont think he likes sailors at all tbh.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
What about the opposite? Everybody loves the doggies.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I assume people hate essendon because historically they were the big cashed up club that could buy success. I can see how the drug stuff pissed people off, plus there’s been a few scandals in the decades prior to that which probably reinforced the perception of a club that still thought it could do whatever it wanted because of its status. It’d be nice to think that since then they’ve become a bit more likeable but I doubt people will be changing their views anytime soon.

I’ve been raised to hate Carlton, Collingwood and hawthorn, but I’m not really enthusiastic about it the way some bombers fans are. I’ve had a bit of a soft spot for Carlton lately as they rebuild which wouldn’t fly with the diehard fans. Teams I hate more tend to be based on the supporters I know. If a team has poo poo fans I’ll probably hate that team

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I think the West Coast/Freo rivalry is just a sporting rivalry. Sure there's a shitload of sledging, but it rarely if ever gets violent. Same sort of deal with Port/Adelaide only younger and in WA. It's a bit different to Brisbane and Sydney in that WA is most certainly a 'footy state.'

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

Sure there's a shitload of sledging, but it rarely if ever gets violent.

He says the week after Gaff comes back from straight up decking a guy.

There have been some fairly brutal derbys as well.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Does Martin appreciate the irony of giving someone poo poo for doing drugs with his history? Let he who has not had nose beers flip the first bird and all that.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
And so it begins

https://twitter.com/GoldCoastSUNS/status/1115094541592170496?s=19

https://twitter.com/JackieVLynch/status/1115099766579326976?s=19

The raiders get raided.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Why the gently caress is there a gold coast AFLW club

Altho it'd be a pretty sweet gig to play and train on the gold coast for 3~ months

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Does Martin appreciate the irony

Im just going to stop you there.

No.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Katie Brennan going to the Tigers. RIP bulldogs.

Windmill Hut posted:

Why the gently caress is there a gold coast AFLW club

Altho it'd be a pretty sweet gig to play and train on the gold coast for 3~ months

Rivalries. Its why Westcoast get a team as well, thats tow big games they can put on each season and get fans involved. Also to again help make inroads in QLD for Aussie rules, if you get all the girls playing it, the families will follow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

drunkill posted:

Katie Brennan going to the Tigers. RIP bulldogs.

Rivalries. Its why Westcoast get a team as well, thats tow big games they can put on each season and get fans involved. Also to again help make inroads in QLD for Aussie rules, if you get all the girls playing it, the families will follow.

Queensland already had the highest participation rates and was considered the strongest state before AFLW season 1. The reason Gold Cost is in now is that the AFL wants two non-Victorian teams, and Gold Coast is the only remaining option. Sydney aren't especially interested, and won't have facilities for an AFLW team for some time, as their new HQ is still under construction. As for Port, their amateur level affiliate abandoned them for a stable partner because Port kept missing deadlines on registration payments the last three seasons, and Port have allegedly told the AFL they'll only start an AFLW side if the AFL pays for it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 8, 2019

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dusty got two

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

realbez posted:

Dusty got two

Whelp, time to tip port I guess.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Dropping Dunstan is really dumb I think. He is leading our contested possessions and tackles as well. I agree he is frustrating but I also think his low possession count is a factor the way the team plays. Very few of our boys are approaching 30disposals a game at the moment.

Meanwhile Acres has never really shown a huge amount in the middle, its a big risk putting him in the middle when Dunstan IS a known factor and plays his role. As far as Sinclair, I havent watched every centre bounce but he has been generally lining up on the wing the last two matches and has played well generally. Even playing from the forward arc, 9 handballs only is a big question mark over him. With Steven basically 100% back in next week, he would be the first to come out for me.

As far as Long, I would be dropping Kent for him before anyone else. Similar roles and frankly Kent has been disappointing after quite a few Melb people have talked him up.

Of players that have played every game Gresham is leading our CP (32 total) and Steele our tackles (25 total) but Dunstan is 2nd in both. Marshal and Steven go above him if you do averages for CP. Dunstan is a known factor but he's an incredibly average one that plays on average the 25th least time on ground of any Saints player atm (64.7%).

Acres has never had much of a chance to show much in the middle but when he has been given the chance he's had multi high 20 disposal games and is a much more dynamic player than Dunstan while also offering more height to a short midfield.

Newnes and Billings have taken the bulk of the wing duties so far from what I've seen. Sincs is mostly playing a forward role that comes up to the contest at stoppages - ie the same role he's always been crap at instead of the dedicated wingman that he was rated by champion data as the best in the league as a few years ago.

I wouldn't mind Long for Kent as I agree Kent has been somewhat average so far but Long hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I’m tipping Melbourne this week!!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I forgot to tip the first few weeks and now I think I'm actually happier not tipping.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

I’m sorry for your TBI

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
6 this weekend. Nearly doubled my season score to 13!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

realbez posted:

The swans aren't in great form but they have always matched up well on the demons

Also the Dees could only put up one good quarter of footy against essendon, who are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Katie Brennan’s gone, almost certainly to Richmond