Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

my high school only had one generic computer course that was required to graduate and the only programming was one or two classes in qbasic doing things at the level of
code:
10 PRINT "BUTTS"
20 GOTO 10
and i think a little vb6 where we made a button change some text or something along those lines. the rest of the time was oriented towards teaching white trash 14 year olds basic computer and word processor usage

this was around the turn of the century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Beamed posted:

who the hell's high school had programming courses

we had ap comp sci

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

we had C++ and Java in 04

oh yeah it was AP computer science

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Beamed posted:

mine too. mostly BASIC when i was there, but sometime after i graduated they gave the programming classes responsibility for maintaining the school's website

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beamed posted:

who's didn't?

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

who's didn't?

whomsts've

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

i came in asking this question thinking i was the terrible programmer but maybe it's u?

Oh for sure I’m a terrible programmer.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

akadajet posted:

who's didn't?

mine

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

akadajet posted:

who's didn't?

mine had a computer course where you went into a computer room and they taught you how to use Microsoft Word and Excel. The teacher would walk behind you and make sure that you weren't browsing the internet.

I once asked if they had any programming stuff and was told that's more of a technical school kind of thing. This was 2008-2011.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
ctps: just spent an hour googling and stack overflowing how chrome and firefox handled redirects because i was returning 203 and not 302

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beamed posted:

mine had a computer course where you went into a computer room and they taught you how to use Microsoft Word and Excel. The teacher would walk behind you and make sure that you weren't browsing the internet.

I once asked if they had any programming stuff and was told that's more of a technical school kind of thing. This was 2008-2011.

mine had a “keyboard and document processing” class as an elective where you learned to type. i finished the semesters lessons in a week and spent the remainder making lovely text adventure games in QBASIC.

the same school was also angling to become a tech magnet around 2000 and we had a networking course which entailed us rigging up a classroom network and playing Quake 2 death match off CD for the entire semester while the teacher hosed off and ignored us. simpler times

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PierreTheMime posted:

mine had a “keyboard and document processing” class as an elective where you learned to type. i finished the semesters lessons in a week and spent the remainder making lovely text adventure games in QBASIC.

the same school was also angling to become a tech magnet around 2000 and we had a networking course which entailed us rigging up a classroom network and playing Quake 2 death match off CD for the entire semester while the teacher hosed off and ignored us. simpler times

I was in the non-AP Computer Science 2 class, which was small enough that we got folded in to the AP Computer Science class. This was the year that they switched the AP test from Pascal to C++. Of course, the dinosaur teaching the class was on her last year before retirement and refused to learn a new programming language, just taught her regular lesson plan from previous years (with a two-week “here AP kids, teach yourself C++ for the test you’re about to take” segment).

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Beamed posted:

This was 2008-2011.

Regdate Nov 26, 2010

:thunk: :siren:

simble
May 11, 2004

gonadic io posted:

ctps: just spent an hour googling and stack overflowing how chrome and firefox handled redirects because i was returning 203 and not 302

non-authoritative posts

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
so oauth question:

user visits "butts.com/auth-me"
i get a request_token from twitter, and redirect the user to "twitter.com/auth?token=request_token" (or whatever)

twitter redirects the user to "butts.com/authed?key=twitter_key", and then i gotta make another request to twitter with both the access token from step one, and then the new key in the query param.

my question is: how do I save the token (it's not secret) between user requests. is a cookie pretty much the only way? if i put it in a db on the server i'd still have to make sure that the user was the same one e.g. with a cookie

the guide i've been following is https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-for-websites/log-in-with-twitter/guides/implementing-sign-in-with-twitter and it just says to use the request token from step 1, doesn't say how you're supposed to get it across two different requests.

so much for statelessness

simble
May 11, 2004

if you have some mechanism for session state use that. gives you everything you want and manages the lifecycle of it.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Wheany posted:

Regdate Nov 26, 2010

:thunk: :siren:

what? lmao I imagine most people registered for SA in high school

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beamed posted:

what? lmao I imagine most people registered for SA in high school

lol no. I wasn't going to spend $10 for a forums account in high school

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

gonadic io posted:

so oauth question:

user visits "butts.com/auth-me"
i get a request_token from twitter, and redirect the user to "twitter.com/auth?token=request_token" (or whatever)

twitter redirects the user to "butts.com/authed?key=twitter_key", and then i gotta make another request to twitter with both the access token from step one, and then the new key in the query param.

my question is: how do I save the token (it's not secret) between user requests. is a cookie pretty much the only way? if i put it in a db on the server i'd still have to make sure that the user was the same one e.g. with a cookie

the guide i've been following is https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-for-websites/log-in-with-twitter/guides/implementing-sign-in-with-twitter and it just says to use the request token from step 1, doesn't say how you're supposed to get it across two different requests.

so much for statelessness

there's supposed to be a context parameter to twitter.com/auth that gets passed back to you when the user gets redirected, at least according to the oauth2 spec.

e: oh looks like they mostly just want you to use oauth1. gently caress that then. there might still be a context parameter though

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 7, 2019

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Sapozhnik posted:

there's supposed to be a context parameter to twitter.com/auth that gets passed back to you when the user gets redirected, at least according to the oauth2 spec.

e: oh looks like they mostly just want you to use oauth1. gently caress that then. there might still be a context parameter though

yeah 1.0 sadly, that would have been perfect.
can't see anything about it in twitter's docs or http://oauthbible.com/#oauth-10a-three-legged

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

akadajet posted:

should have joined when accounts were free, idiot

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

akadajet posted:

i mean your high school could probably hand out forums accounts for free if it was rich enough for programming courses lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
does google maps really charge per request for access to their API? what the gently caress?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

abigserve posted:

does google maps really charge per request for access to their API? what the gently caress?

uh, how else would you charge for it? a flat fee that's exactly the same whether you do one request or one million?

(it doesn't run a separate half-cent charge against your credit card for every single request, if that's what you're asking. once you're too big for the free tier, you load up your billing account with a balance and it gets deducted from that automatically.)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Jabor posted:

uh, how else would you charge for it? a flat fee that's exactly the same whether you do one request or one million?

(it doesn't run a separate half-cent charge against your credit card for every single request, if that's what you're asking. once you're too big for the free tier, you load up your billing account with a balance and it gets deducted from that automatically.)

I was expecting there to be some level where it was free but heavily rate limited and would charge/disable your key if you exceeded some number

Like if you just want to fart around and send maybe 100 requests at the most basic level of the API per day you can do that without being charged and having to put a credit card into the account

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You get $200/month of free credit.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

well gently caress me dead I guess I can't read

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

Sordicius' posting gimmick, from 1995, is that every internet service should come with a Windows client application written in C++ using MFC

change that to iOS/macOS and ObjC/Swift and it’ll be absolutely correct thought

web pages aren’t applications, they’re documents

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

eschaton posted:

change that to iOS/macOS and ObjC/Swift and it’ll be absolutely correct thought

web pages aren’t applications, they’re documents

Sure let me just pack my server's private key into the binary and ship it onto user's machines

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gonadic io posted:

Sure let me just pack my server's private key into the binary and ship it onto user's machines

my boss: this is the perfect solution

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Boiled Water posted:

my boss: this is the perfect solution

What if we encrypt it...using another private ket we also ship in the binary

Bonus points for them being the same

Double bonus points for sending the private key over the internet to keep it out of the binary

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

gonadic io posted:

there’s nothing wrong with your application talking to a secure remote server

the problem is with building the user interface using technologies that were not designed for building user interfaces, and are really rather bad at it, unless you like your guis to be achingly slow, brittle, and completely ignorant of user preferences

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is it possible to create a WKWebView where everything is proxied through my code? e.g. make all loaded html pages ALL CAPS.

i know you can inject javascript after the fact but that won't work for my purposes.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
ctps:

turns out that twitter does pass the key back to you in the request, so you need to implement a lookup on your side to store/get the secret for a given key but you don't need cookies or anything

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

recently ive been spending 30%+ of my time just handholding people through the most basic poo poo and it's driving me mad. for example just had this wonderful exchange:

"i cant get it to work when i publish to the web server"

"ok well it works for me in debug with no changes to the checked out code so what does that tell you?"

"......"

jfc use your brains people, if it works in one enviroment and not another could it be a difference between the environments????

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

recently ive been spending 30%+ of my time just handholding people through the most basic poo poo and it's driving me mad. for example just had this wonderful exchange:

"i cant get it to work when i publish to the web server"

"ok well it works for me in debug with no changes to the checked out code so what does that tell you?"

"......"

jfc use your brains people, if it works in one enviroment and not another could it be a difference between the environments????

I dont believe in environment change

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gonadic io posted:

I dont believe in environment change

what is the programming equivalent of rolling coal?

edit: im going to throw in "mongo" as a starter for 10

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

what is the programming equivalent of rolling coal?

edit: im going to throw in "mongo" as a starter for 10

shipping an electron/react native desktop app

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Phobeste posted:

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Phobeste posted:

Shipping an electron/react native desktop app running inside a js docker implementation running in another electron/react native desktop app