Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still get a kick out of the fact that Rob Zombie is basically just making fan films and has become one of horror's biggest directors doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Full disclosure, I wrote some of a Freddy prequel screenplay in my early teens. It was weirdly normal, him working at the boiler room, hating his lovely neighbors, scorning his homely wife. I got about 20 pages, at the scene where Freddy was about to poison his neighbor's dog for keeping him up all night, before I realized how ridiculously mundane it all was. Like, who gives a gently caress about his domestic problems, lol.

CelticPredator posted:

What was that one Friday fan film where the director was super skeevy and just wanted to shoot some tits? There was a very specific one. I think RLM talked about it but I’m not sure

There's a series of shot on video slashers called Camp Blood that prominently feature tits. I don't think Jason is involved, though. Haven't seen them in years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fan creations can be some of the coolest poo poo.

Because, in the best scenarios, it almost always comes from a place of love and enthusiasm

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hello horror thread, I watched Hellraiser for the first time today and it was very good. It uh, escalated very quickly.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Sweet, now watch Hellbound.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Hello horror thread, I watched Hellraiser for the first time today and it was very good. It uh, escalated very quickly.

We have such sights to show you

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i honestly don't care very much for hellbound

don't really know why i guess it maybe just felt like Too Much?

like it's fine. i just don't like it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

On the subject of fan films, you're probably vaguely aware of the very bad big budget short Sonic fan film that came out some years ago. A bunch of dumb gaming youtubers had cameos in it and they even got Jaleel White to voice Sonic again. It's boring and embarrassing and lifeless.

But what you might not know is that the same director also produced an embarrassingly terrible and unwatchable feature length Mega Man fan film. If you ever want to watch something that has no understanding whatsoever of cinematic language, composition, energy, action, or anything, do seek it out. I've never seen anything quite as dead on its feet as that abomination.

Like, Mega Man is a very popular game series with just enough unexplored story elements that it's very popular for fan works. There's a rock opera, several concept albums, uncountable fanfics, various webcomics, some bad flash animation, and who knows what else exploring the mythos of a robot who shoots at other robots. Not to mention the various official mangas, cartoons and comics, all either endlessly retelling the simple story of the games with various degrees of seriousness or building upon them to create something new. There's hundreds of fan games, many of which take the story elements seriously as well.

The movie is by far the most boring interpretation of the story I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Watching Phantasm for the first time, and Jesus that kid could tone down the aggression when he's talking to the ladies!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

mikeycp posted:

i honestly don't care very much for hellbound

don't really know why i guess it maybe just felt like Too Much?

like it's fine. i just don't like it

The goofy doctor puns near the end absolutely kill it for me, like a premonition of where the series was about to go.

And I'm not usually one to turn down a good pun.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Escape Room does a ok job of feeling like actual escape rooms amped up to 11 but the overarching plot feels like a retread of Saw. It’s real goofy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

graventy posted:

Escape Room does a ok job of feeling like actual escape rooms amped up to 11 but the overarching plot feels like a retread of Saw. It’s real goofy.

I actually liked it much better than Saw because it changed two major things that bugged me about that franchise:

A) There was a lot more variety in the rooms and the puzzles they had to solve instead of it always being just "grimy sharp things and you gotta mutilate yourself and/or others".

B) They didn't try to make the people putting the people in the murder puzzles sympathetic. Like, gently caress off with that tragic villain "oh he never technically murders anyone he's just trying to teach them life lessons" bullshit; the kind of person who would puzzle murder someone is a douchebag you should embrace that rather than trying to justify it in any way.

The ending sucked (it had like three places it could have stopped that would have made great endings, but it just kept going), but if you turn it off like 5 minutes before that point it's one of my favorite recent horror movies.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The second Friday is the best one because it's perhaps the only slasher where going out to get drunk saves a teenager's life.

CelticPredator posted:

What was that one Friday fan film where the director was super skeevy and just wanted to shoot some tits?

Just trying to stay true to the spirit of the franchise.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

What was that one Friday fan film where the director was super skeevy and just wanted to shoot some tits? There was a very specific one. I think RLM talked about it but I’m not sure

It's called A New Beginning.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
A lot of Friday the 13th fan films are gross or rife with latent misogyny.

Last year, I did a Spooky Night for Friday the 13th, and I put together a pre-show of F13 fan films, and it's the only time I had to end the pre-show early because the material was dire and just lamely try-hard gross.

edit: There are only 2 Friday the 13ths in 2019, in September and December. I'm working on a little something that'll hopefully be done by the time September rolls around, cuz I'd like to share it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

Oh poo poo I also DID do a Friday thing for high school. He sound design is bad and the ki ki ma ma is just badly mixed lmao. But hey,.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasgOqvjTCA

I like the kikimama

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SecretOfSteel posted:

Watching Phantasm for the first time, and Jesus that kid could tone down the aggression when he's talking to the ladies!

I hate the Phantasm franchise and I think it stems from not knowing that the people who made Phantasm didn't actually know how to make movies or have anyone who knew anything about movies involved, because I probably would've been more forgiving of the plot beats of "oh no, jawas are stealing our dead bodies! I need to team up with the only ice-cream-truck-driver-with-a-skullet who isn't the creepy chomo in cinema history to stop them!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Burkion posted:

Fan creations can be some of the coolest poo poo.

Because, in the best scenarios, it almost always comes from a place of love and enthusiasm

A best scenario for me is this X-Men one where the X-Men gotta stop Mr. Sinister and it's a bunch of people who aren't even close physical matches for their characters, the costumes are kind of not great, it's mostly them running around in the woods and then in like a warehouse or whatever, but it just absolutely fuckin' rules because everyone's having a blast and they really captured the fun-ness and like extreme 90s-ness the 90s cartoon's "voice" because they were all just super into it. I had a blast watching it. Plus it wasn't very long so it never overstayed its welcome.

In contrast, a worst case scenario is this like five hour long (at least the like ten minutes I watched of it felt like five hours long) He-Man movie they got some body builder dude to play He-Man and it sucks because it's like, SOOOOOO serious in its attempts to be serious and "real" and grimdark and the budget of course isn't there because it's still a fan film and it makes it torture to watch. One of the worst fan films ever and, unlike say all those Batman fan films that suck, I mean there's plenty of official grimdark Batman content out there to be inspired by so it's understandable why they exist, He-Man was never like that so it's just completely off the mark on every level.

God tier scenario is of course Canzo Empyrean.
https://lostmediawiki.com/Canzo_Empyrean_(partially_found_underground_film;_2007)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Canzo Empyrean owns so much.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Has anyone in this thread seen Possum? Because I just read a summary of that movie and it sounds like the kind of movie I would not be able to enjoy, but other people might really love so maybe consider checking it out if you like your horror dark, joyless, and incredibly tense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5jaqmQyAJw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Easy Diff posted:

I hate the Phantasm franchise and I think it stems from not knowing that the people who made Phantasm didn't actually know how to make movies or have anyone who knew anything about movies involved, because I probably would've been more forgiving of the plot beats of "oh no, jawas are stealing our dead bodies! I need to team up with the only ice-cream-truck-driver-with-a-skullet who isn't the creepy chomo in cinema history to stop them!"

I got annoyed with the series when it kept having cliffhangers without any real thought on how to resolve them

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Origami Dali posted:

Sweet, now watch Hellbound.

Burkion posted:

We have such sights to show you

My only concern is that I am guessing that Garak is not in the second one and that bums me out.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I was thinking about how the F13 franchise is for the most part cynical cash-ins and rip offs and how that’s weirdly one if the things I like about it. It was born out of fitting the title to a Halloween rip off. Then the franchise directly and obviously ripped off The Town That Dreaded Sundown, Carrie, and Evil Dead. It’s one of the reasons I get confused by people being mad about the remake. Yeah it’s creatively bankrupt, of course it is. At least all it’s ripping off is itself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

My only concern is that I am guessing that Garak is not in the second one and that bums me out.

If you enjoyed the escalation in Hellraiser then you must must must see Hellbound. It goes to some pretty wild places. No Andrew Robinson is a bit of a bummer, not gonna lie about that, but I think Clare Higgins more than makes up for it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Basebf555 posted:

If you enjoyed the escalation in Hellraiser then you must must must see Hellbound. It goes to some pretty wild places. No Andrew Robinson is a bit of a bummer, not gonna lie about that, but I think Clare Higgins more than makes up for it.

I'll definitely check it out, since I think it's on Prime as well, but what I meant about escalation was how easy it was for Frank to talk Julia into killing dudes in her house for him. It's like one moment she's horrified of this warped undead Frank in her attic, and the next she's just smashing dudes in the head with a hammer.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I'll definitely check it out, since I think it's on Prime as well, but what I meant about escalation was how easy it was for Frank to talk Julia into killing dudes in her house for him. It's like one moment she's horrified of this warped undead Frank in her attic, and the next she's just smashing dudes in the head with a hammer.

Yeah turn’s out Julia is just serial killer that needed a little bit of a push. Basebf555 is right, she’s great in the sequel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That's one of the reasons Hellraiser III is so disappointing. It's not that it doesn't have it's moments, but it's such a huge missed opportunity to really cement Julia as a true horror icon. Which I think she was well on her way to becoming had they stuck with her for another sequel or two.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Drunkboxer posted:

I was thinking about how the F13 franchise is for the most part cynical cash-ins and rip offs and how that’s weirdly one if the things I like about it. It was born out of fitting the title to a Halloween rip off. Then the franchise directly and obviously ripped off The Town That Dreaded Sundown, Carrie, and Evil Dead. It’s one of the reasons I get confused by people being mad about the remake. Yeah it’s creatively bankrupt, of course it is. At least all it’s ripping off is itself.

The Friday the 13th remake is like a speedrun of the entire franchise (well, the early part of the franchise before the all weird stuff happened and he became a zombie and went to space/Hell/a boat) which could have been fun if it wasn't so boring.

It's just on the edge of being something interesting, but doesn't quite make it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

IIRC Barker said before they settled on calling it Hellraiser some elderly executive of New World saw the cut and they were nervous about that screening but then she was like "You should title it 'What A Woman Will Do For A Good gently caress!'" and lol part of me wishes they went with that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Has anyone in this thread seen Possum? Because I just read a summary of that movie and it sounds like the kind of movie I would not be able to enjoy, but other people might really love so maybe consider checking it out if you like your horror dark, joyless, and incredibly tense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5jaqmQyAJw

It’s very, very good, although while it did get under my skin, I kept waiting for it to scare the poo poo out of me and it never quite did. Definitely all in to see what that director does next (i think he started out as one of the Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace guys?)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Friday the 13th remake is like a speedrun of the entire franchise (well, the early part of the franchise before the all weird stuff happened and he became a zombie and went to space/Hell/a boat) which could have been fun if it wasn't so boring.

It's just on the edge of being something interesting, but doesn't quite make it.

Yeah, I think that's in like with what I felt about it. It was way too polished and I think the narrative was just too tight for a movie about a giant who kills horny teens.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It’s very, very good, although while it did get under my skin, I kept waiting for it to scare the poo poo out of me and it never quite did. Definitely all in to see what that director does next (i think he started out as one of the Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace guys?)

:actually: he wasn't just one of the guys on Darkplace, Matthew Holness wrote, directed, and starred in it as the title character. Dude's way talented.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I was gonna say that Matt Holness IS Garth Marenghi.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm a big girl now. Soon I'll be a woman.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
They work you too hard here. They should pay you a hero's wage.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DrNutt posted:

You get a little Frank Cotton, but yeah, not in Larry's skin.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guess im watching possum now

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Pitch your best NOES spec script

Mine would be a remake of NOES 2 but instead the main character is trans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Pitch your best NOES spec script

Mine would be a remake of NOES 2 but instead the main character is trans

Time travel back to the 80s and get Robert Englund to finally make that Nightmare Prequel he always wanted to do.