Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah back when i was writing tech books (think like "learn to use (x) in 30 days" kind of thing) for a major publisher we'd always get advance + royalty. I remember once telling another author that I felt bad because the advance was always so much bigger royalties never earned it back and he said "don't feel that way, it means you negotiated the right thing". That author was Dave Duncan btw for any obscure Canadian SF&f fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008
Any idea what this is referring to?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nathan W. Pyle. He does Strange Planet, I guess? I've never heard of it or him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just going from what I remember about the years of speculation on the retail side of things. Retailers have a LOT of conspiracy theories.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Mr. Glum posted:

Dawgstar posted:

This sucks because it was a funny, clever gimmick (though it was wearing thin).

In the future everyone will be Milkshake Duck for fifteen minutes.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Mr. Glum posted:

So far this is the only tweet I've seen about this, mostly I'm shocked to learn a human is behind those alien comics and they're not procedurally generated.

https://twitter.com/nathanwpyle/status/825066260153167873

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I looked at his page a while back and there was some definitely Christian stuff, but nothing overtly bad.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
If he's seriously pro life, that's really anti-choice and is pretty bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It is the webcomic about the aliens who are extremely literal. It is only one joke (the aliens are extremely literal) told over and over again with slight variations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they're not even extremely literal they just describe mundane things in non-mundane ways and yes they are the same joke repeated ad nauseum

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they were cute until the author turned out to be a complete cock though

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

they were cute until the author turned out to be a complete cock though

The post was from two years ago so I'm hoping he's grown, as I liked the comics a lot personally, but his silence on it speaks volumes. It's weird cause he seems otherwise progressive.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Thread has gone from stomping on Nazis to people who love babies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

Thread has gone from stomping on Nazis to people who love babies.

A amazingly hot take.

Just in case you're being serious, the issue is that people who 'love babies' also almost universally only care about theoretical babies and not actual real children or their mothers. Very few people who are rabidly pro-choice back it up with also being pro-everything else that would involve caring for and raising a healthy child. They only care about control over reproduction, not actually saving lives. If as many people were pro-saving-lives as they were anti-choice then the country would be a real different place.

Likewise pro-choice often goes hand-in-hand with seeking greater social support nets for mothers and children. Many people who are pro-choice are also working towards support for children and mothers in other ways, so trying to frame it as 'loving babies' is quite frankly a load of bullshit.

It's even very hard to frame it as 'a division of opinions' because being anti-abortion above all else means voting lockstep with people who almost universally are seeking to strip protection and support away from at-risk mothers and children. If they really wanted to lessen the number of abortions they'd be working towards better sexual education, greater accessibility to things like condoms, and stronger support structure for pregnant women.

So in short, no. Someone doesn't get to hide behind 'the babies' when the groups they support almost universally don't give a poo poo about the babies or the mothers. Maybe alien comic guy is the magical unicorn who is both pro-life and also extremely dedicated to helping mothers and infants but somehow I doubt it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 9, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pro-lifers are only performatively in favor of life as a concept.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also a fetus isn't a baby and what a woman does with her body is her own loving business.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xarbala posted:

Pro-lifers are only performatively in favor of life as a concept.

It's better summarised by saying that pro-lifers' devotion to preserving life ends the moment it slides out of the vagina. Pro-lifers are inevitably opposed to government aid programs for single mothers, and the Venn diagram with antivaxxers is pretty much concentric circles.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jedit posted:

It's better summarised by saying that pro-lifers' devotion to preserving life ends the moment it slides out of the vagina. Pro-lifers are inevitably opposed to government aid programs for single mothers, and the Venn diagram with antivaxxers is pretty much concentric circles.

George Carlin put it best: if you’re preborn, you’re fine. If you’re preschool, you’re hosed

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Since that tweet was from 2017, do we have any current replies from him trying to backpedal faster or the minute chance of “I was extremely ignorant about this topic” and a genuine apology?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If you want something more on topic, you can point and laugh at EVS' game plan for his still un-written, un-drawn, by every metric unfinished comic:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1115434712217149440

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Since that tweet was from 2017, do we have any current replies from him trying to backpedal faster or the minute chance of “I was extremely ignorant about this topic” and a genuine apology?

He decided to just tweet through it and ignore all the callouts. Good play, really. More than bad opinions people hate being acknowledged so it's best to let them assume you're just an rear end in a top hat.

Also looks like Renfamous got banned again for no reason.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 9, 2019

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Is there something genuinely appealing about Cyberfrog to the people who backed it, or are they only doing it to totally pwn us SJWs? Because even as kids most people rejected Cowboys of Moo Mesa and Street Sharks as plainly lame, and that’s what this comes across as on its surface.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wendell posted:

Is there something genuinely appealing about Cyberfrog to the people who backed it, or are they only doing it to totally pwn us SJWs? Because even as kids most people rejected Cowboys of Moo Mesa and Street Sharks as plainly lame, and that’s what this comes across as on its surface.

It is strictly to own the libs. Even when CG's stuff comes out, like Dickie's Iron Sights, they never talk about it after.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean Cyberfrog is a good title, I'll give it that. It sounds like it might've been a pretty good obscure Genesis game.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nobody likes Cyberfrog in the entire world, not even Ethan himself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I mean Cyberfrog is a good title, I'll give it that. It sounds like it might've been a pretty good obscure Genesis game.

I can hear the horrible digitized slap bass soundtrack right now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://twitter.com/RenfamousX/status/1115607671686590465?s=20

Renfamous wrote a comic!

EVS is probably already working on his response video.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gonna e
Be hilarious when she raises more money than him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

Gonna e

Spending money on quality products to own the chuds

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Gonna e

Even if it does he'll still smooth brain his way into how it didn't because he still thinks running three separate IGGs means he's got the biggest crowd-funded comic in history and we have charts in this very thread that prove by no metric that's true. It's pretty great.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wendell posted:

Pardon me, they came packaged in cages that they'd already chomped through, and if you didn't have AC in the summer you could hold their weird fleshy faces to yourself to cool down.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Gonna e

Gonna e
Be hilarious when she releases her comic before him.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
but yuo see shes only part of an anthology whereas ethan is a white working-class guy doing it all himself

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lurdiak posted:

Well...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IUG posted:

Gonna e
Be hilarious when she releases her comic before him.

Look I dont make fun of you when you're having a stroke.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Cyberfrog iirc was his original comic from the 90s, just one more indie book in a sea of same. I figured he pushes that because it’s his own IP and because he has no capability of coming up with anything else, plus he can twist the language of indie publishers by presenting his own work and “creator’s rights.”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EVS posted:

“CYBERFROG isn’t just a comic book, it’s the start of a new way of thinking about comic books. Books that stay in print, that are EVENTS , that are worth reading and re-reading. Not disposable, frequent periodicals, but a work of permanence. I believe this is the inevitable future of comic books. It has to be. The world is evolving, and mainstream comics aren’t sustainable using the structure and methods that they currently rely on. Comic retail stores are closing at a rapid pace.”

“This is the FUTURE.”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Easy to stay in print when you never sell out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Which is immediately distinct from the trade paperback market... how?