Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Golgo13 posted:

I liked Diablo but their definitely is no difficulty prior to end game stuff other than remembering to not stand in the lava/poison/whatever.

I don't know how they did it but the difficulty on d3 is more broken than the difficulty in any other game, ever.

Played the campaign on PC with the difficulty cranked to maximum, and it was impossible to die, and we would kill bosses in under 10 seconds. Sometimes we'd kill final bosses before they'd finish their introductory spoken line. Once you beat the game you unlock like 30 difficulty levels (what the gently caress???) and need to do an annoying guess-and-check process where you crank it up a level, try the game, and hope it feels normal. No other game in history works like this and I'm not really sure what the hell happened at blizzard hq

The stock response from d3 fans is: "the game doesn't really start until you beat the game," which is quite the headscratcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You play at the difficulty that feels the most fun to you until that starts to get too easy, then you turn it up for better rewards. Eventually even that gets too easy and you play the infinitely scaling dungeon. It’s really not that hard to understand.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Polo-Rican posted:

The stock response from d3 fans is: "the game doesn't really start until you beat the game," which is quite the headscratcher

tbf this can be said of most loot based games

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wamdoodle posted:

And Mario Odyssey.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

exquisite tea posted:

You play at the difficulty that feels the most fun to you...

Wamdoodle posted:

IMHO the big problem is that all of the difficulties are locked until you beat the 20 hour campaign. If the campaign was 6 hours that would be different, but 20 hours is a lot of time to spend playing literally, without exaggeration, the easiest game i've played in my entire life

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And Mario Odyssey.
This is cute but not at all true. D3 (according to reports, haven't played it) and say modern MMOs like FFXIV and such are just busywork that don't resemble the real thing which is the end game. Mario Oddyssey drops a ton more content on you once you beat the game but it's all in line with what came before which was already a great, complete experience.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
When was the last time you played D3? The campaign should not be taking you longer than 3 hours.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also you don't have to play it on Switch to unlock the end-game stuff, you can jump straight into the good part.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I played the D3 campaign on PC and thought it was pretty easy but also a lot of fun. It wasn’t like breezing through it one time was a burden or anything.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the D3 campaign isn't a masterpiece of storytelling or anything but I thought it was fun too, I think the goon reaction to it like it's somehow poison and will hurt everyone you love is kinda weird

if you're playing the game for the first time, just have fun with it y'know? why rush through everything to get to "the real game" when you can just enjoy the game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wamdoodle posted:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

IMHO the big problem is that all of the difficulties are locked until you beat the 20 hour campaign. If the campaign was 6 hours that would be different, but 20 hours is a lot of time to spend playing literally, without exaggeration, the easiest game i've played in my entire life

Not in the Switch version since you can jump straight into adventure mode on Switch

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mahoning posted:

I'll never forget my first lightning strike death in BOTW as an all time WTF moment in video gaming for me.

"Hmmmm, why is there sparks and electricity coming from my sword and shieEEEEEE OHHHHH MYY GODDDD WHAAAAAAAAAT THE gently caress."

It gets a lot more fun if you get the Thunder Helm. You will feel like a loving GOD standing in a field, facing off against a Lynel, in a thunderstorm as lightning cracks down on you and sets the ground on fire.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Your Computer posted:

the D3 campaign isn't a masterpiece of storytelling or anything but I thought it was fun too, I think the goon reaction to it like it's somehow poison and will hurt everyone you love is kinda weird

if you're playing the game for the first time, just have fun with it y'know? why rush through everything to get to "the real game" when you can just enjoy the game

I thought it was cool how every class, both male and female, had their own lines and even variations of those lines. It wasn't just a one to one reading.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It gets a lot more fun if you get the Thunder Helm. You will feel like a loving GOD standing in a field, facing off against a Lynel, in a thunderstorm as lightning cracks down on you and sets the ground on fire.
You can also throw your metal gear at the enemy seconds before the lightning strikes for massive damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

American McGay posted:

You can also throw your metal gear at the enemy seconds before the lightning strikes for massive damage.

Metal gear?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gear made of metal.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

m.hache posted:

Gear made of metal.

Metal Gear?!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

Made it to the final level of Into the Breach with the Flame Behemoths last night and lost because a power pylon I couldn't see got blown up :negative:

I'm loving this game a lot. The aesthetic is awesome, and I love how much potential there is to experiment with play-styles.

That game is full of A-HA! moments where you figure something out and feel really smart. I don't know how many times I've seen the enemy placement and been like "How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with that??" only to work out some way to pull it off. Easily one of the best games on the switch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Suddenly reminded of how much I missed Phoenix Wright.

As much as it's not great compared to the first trilogy I really do hope the second trilogy gets a Switch version. I really want to give AA6 a try but like gently caress am I ever dusting off my 3DS.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I don't remember D3 being so piss easy when it launched years ago. They've mucked with everything else so much since then but never seemed to bother fixing the early difficulties numbers when it was faster to make infinitely scaling ones.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Diablo 3 is annoying until you're max level because you do the exact same poo poo you just don't have the same tools/resources/motivations. Not great for such an arcdae experience, especially since the couch co-op aspect is severely hampered by being like 'oh if you want to play barb we need to start from level 1 when it's boring' which is obnoxious.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LethalGeek posted:

I don't remember D3 being so piss easy when it launched years ago. They've mucked with everything else so much since then but never seemed to bother fixing the early difficulties numbers when it was faster to make infinitely scaling ones.

Yeah, luckily you can blitz through the levelling process in a few hours and hit the endgame of endless difficulty.

It was really a reaction to the base game which was way more of a slog.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Polo-Rican posted:

I don't know how they did it but the difficulty on d3 is more broken than the difficulty in any other game, ever.

Played the campaign on PC with the difficulty cranked to maximum, and it was impossible to die, and we would kill bosses in under 10 seconds. Sometimes we'd kill final bosses before they'd finish their introductory spoken line. Once you beat the game you unlock like 30 difficulty levels (what the gently caress???) and need to do an annoying guess-and-check process where you crank it up a level, try the game, and hope it feels normal. No other game in history works like this and I'm not really sure what the hell happened at blizzard hq

I'm not the biggest fan of D3 either because the combat feels like dull crap compared to D2 and the level design is stupid, but the Torment difficulty system is one of the only genuinely great parts of the game and creates a near infinite level grind which is awesome and so good. I'd kill for D2 with Torment and would probably lose a literal year or more of my life to it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, luckily you can blitz through the levelling process in a few hours and hit the endgame of endless difficulty.

It was really a reaction to the base game which was way more of a slog.

You can also get power leveled to 70 in 10 minutes if you fall behind.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just wish there was more D2

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Steve2911 posted:

Suddenly reminded of how much I missed Phoenix Wright.

As much as it's not great compared to the first trilogy I really do hope the second trilogy gets a Switch version. I really want to give AA6 a try but like gently caress am I ever dusting off my 3DS.

I just beat Layton vs Wright last weekend. They should make another one of those, for the Nintendo switch

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mahoning posted:

I'll never forget my first lightning strike death in BOTW as an all time WTF moment in video gaming for me.

"Hmmmm, why is there sparks and electricity coming from my sword and shieEEEEEE OHHHHH MYY GODDDD WHAAAAAAAAAT THE gently caress."

Easily one of my favorite things in this is solving puzzles by chaining your collection of metal swords together on the ground to make connections for opening doors, instead of intended solutions involving some metal box three rooms away.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Takoluka posted:

Easily one of my favorite things in this is solving puzzles by chaining your collection of metal swords together on the ground to make connections for opening doors, instead of intended solutions involving some metal box three rooms away.

Or just using a bunch of yellow jelly.

For new BOTW players. You can convert blue jelly to any other element by exposing the jelly to that element.
Toss some blue out on top of a mountain and BOOM, you got ice jelly.

Same for killing a ChuChu with elemental damage. It will automatically convert the jelly to that element.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inzombiac posted:

For new BOTW players. You can convert blue jelly to any other element by exposing the jelly to that element.
Toss some blue out on top of a mountain and BOOM, you got ice jelly.

Same for killing a ChuChu with elemental damage. It will automatically convert the jelly to that element.

What does that do?

Also I assume the answer is "yes" but is there a faster way to cook food then holding>dropping it one at a time?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you want a full dish, no. If you have a shitload of apples you can drop them all and light the grass on fire to roast them for a healthy treat when you're on the go.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RBA Starblade posted:

What does that do?

Also I assume the answer is "yes" but is there a faster way to cook food then holding>dropping it one at a time?

You can hold up to like five or ten things at a time

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/nintendo_switch_and_3ds_blockbuster_sale_starts_11th_april_up_to_60_percent_off_top_games

Looks like it's worth to wait a few days to pick up that AAA title you've been meaning to try

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RBA Starblade posted:

What does that do?

Yellow jellies are electrified so you can chain them together to complete circuits. It's a little easier than hassling with dropping swords or whatever.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

it's great and I love that the developers respect the physics they made, even if it means the possibility of cheesing some puzzles. Your swords are conductive, and they don't just stop being that when you enter a puzzle shrine so while there is an intricate puzzle you're not forced to solve it the "right" way.

I feel like a lot of other games would've restricted that sort of stuff to make players do the intended thing, but BotW sticks to its physics rules and that's one of the best things about it. :allears:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Guilty posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/nintendo_switch_and_3ds_blockbuster_sale_starts_11th_april_up_to_60_percent_off_top_games

Looks like it's worth to wait a few days to pick up that AAA title you've been meaning to try

*in Europe

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mahoning posted:

This but with bomb arrows, both in hot areas and in the rain. They produce terrific results in the heat of battle.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Mahoning posted:

*in Europe

You can swap your estore temporarily and take advantage of it, I do it all the time with the NA estore

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Takoluka posted:

Inzombiac posted:

MotherFUCKER I could have done that the whole time?? I 100%ed the shrines already! Why tell me this now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

bushisms.txt posted:

This but with bomb arrows, both in hot areas and in the rain. They produce terrific results in the heat of battle.

"I think I can blow up the entire group if I hit them with a bomb arrow from here. Now to ready my b--"