Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Rock and roll songs about molesting kids.

They do love Ted Nugent, it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The forward button in their email client

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

Texting with a single index finger.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Had one girlfriend whose dad intentionally put toilets that flush real strong in his house. I applaud him for that.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

SeXReX posted:

The forward button in their email client

Reply All

At Home Depot the other week I saw a toilet that had a demo of a bucket full of golf balls flushing down in one pull.
:stare:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

poisonpill posted:

How did they go from so cool to so terrible in one generation?

This probably wasn't meant as an actual question, but it's all a part of how America rose to become the world's main superpower following World War II. As the only country that wasn't totally destroyed (and the one that made massive lones to European countries to rebuild) the US economy took off like a shot. Education was affordable, wages were high, housing was plentiful and easy to purchase. That's the world they grew up in, but of course they created their own retarded origin story that involves how they worked so hard for everything they have and blah blah blah SHUT THE gently caress UP!!!

And that's how the most entitled generation in the history of the world became the people who are always screaming about entitlement. Fox News and the right wing in this country definitely didn't help

Iron Crowned posted:

Buying a new appliance, putting the manual in a plastic bag, putting the bag into a box in the shed and never once looking for it. Repeat for everything that comes with a manual for the next 40 years.

I do this :(

Most of the stuff is totally pointless too. Like there is nothing that manual could tell me about the product that isn't completely obvious, but I feel compelled to save them "just in case"

FizFashizzle posted:

my mom bought two ipads so she could have words with friends and cheats with friends open at the same time

i thought that's what your smart phone was for

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
this account is good

https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1114656839482978305

https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1114503268821012480

https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1114465252610064385

https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1113473330382819328

https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1113089208711774208

https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1111202499896184832

https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1109575021612199938

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I did the manual thing too. Then my Dad died and I had to clean out his place. Here's just some the things I'm still throwing out almost 6 years later.

Tax returns (from the 80s)
Every single bank deposit/withdrawal slip until ATMs became popular
A life insurance certificate that his parents took out on him in 1950.
My grandfather's drivers license. My grandfather died in 1990 btw
MY tax returns from the early 90s.
MY paystubs from the jobs I worked in the early 90s
Bills. All kids of bills. All paid so I have no idea why they are there.

I could go on.

Another friend of mine ran a literal technology museum out of building in his backyard. for 10 years he collected every kind of computer, disk, software, game, etc. you can imagine. Well he drops dead one day and his wife wants to sell the house so it took an army of people to clean all that out.

Since these two things happened I don't keep poo poo around at all.

Boomers learned this from their parents who lived through the Depression.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Play posted:

This probably wasn't meant as an actual question, but it's all a part of how America rose to become the world's main superpower following World War II. As the only country that wasn't totally destroyed (and the one that made massive lones to European countries to rebuild) the US economy took off like a shot. Education was affordable, wages were high, housing was plentiful and easy to purchase. That's the world they grew up in, but of course they created their own retarded origin story that involves how they worked so hard for everything they have and blah blah blah SHUT THE gently caress UP!!!

And that's how the most entitled generation in the history of the world became the people who are always screaming about entitlement. Fox News and the right wing in this country definitely didn't help

I do this :(

Most of the stuff is totally pointless too. Like there is nothing that manual could tell me about the product that isn't completely obvious, but I feel compelled to save them "just in case"

i thought that's what your smart phone was for

I don't think Jitterbug phones have good data plans.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Motherfuckers love Jay Leno.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

They do love Ted Nugent, it's true.

If only it was limited to him. A lot of 1960s rock and roll songs are 35 year old men singing about picking up high school girls.

And then there's Gary Glitter... a man whose entire career was basically singing, "Hey everybody! I am really unhealthily fixated on high school girls!" They used to play a few bars from his hit song, "Rock N Roll (Part 2)" at EVERY loving sporting event. And then he got pinched for having sex with minors, and they still played that song! It wasn't until after he served his prison sentence in the UK, then fled to Vietnam, and then got imprisoned in Vietnam for the same poo poo that sporting arenas were like, "Hmmmm... maybe we should stop playing that guy's song..." It helped that by then they could play "Seven Nation Army" instead.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
Jews

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Las Vegas is fun, you fidget spinning dorks!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Dying with more material wealth than any other generation and leaving behind a dessicated husk of an earth.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Elderbean posted:

Dying with more material wealth than any other generation and leaving behind a dessicated husk of an earth.

Where are all these rich boomers at? My parents were broke as gently caress. Most of their lives were just working poo poo jobs and then self medicating when they got home from said jobs.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Rad-daddio posted:

Where are all these rich boomers at? My parents were broke as gently caress. Most of their lives were just working poo poo jobs and then self medicating when they got home from said jobs.

My parents worked hard rural lives for the first third of their lives, then buckled down, my mom got a difficult gov job and my dad studied and got three degrees. They both got to retire in their early 60s and lived comfortable but modest lives thereafter.

They both buck a lot of boomer trends, but once in a while they complain about not being wealthier and I have to recalibrate them by showing that their life path has like a 1/100 chance for someone nowadays to end up as comfortable as they are

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!
Talking about how much they did for the world in the 60's despite doing everything in their power to move society backward ever since.

Edit, Complaining that CBC got rid of "Frontpage Challenge" and "This Hour Has Seven Day" and wistfully reminiscing about Peter Gzowski. Or is that just my Mom?

Opabinia fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 10, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rad-daddio posted:

A boomer who impoverish they own self. A shameful boomer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Rad-daddio posted:

Harley Davidson motorcycles. Gotta get that bloatee bluesdad aesthetic maxed out!

Bonus points if they have one of those obnoxious motorcycle radios that you can hear from four blocks away.

LabyaMynora posted:

If only it was limited to him. A lot of 1960s rock and roll songs are 35 year old men singing about picking up high school girls.

And then there's Gary Glitter... a man whose entire career was basically singing, "Hey everybody! I am really unhealthily fixated on high school girls!" They used to play a few bars from his hit song, "Rock N Roll (Part 2)" at EVERY loving sporting event. And then he got pinched for having sex with minors, and they still played that song! It wasn't until after he served his prison sentence in the UK, then fled to Vietnam, and then got imprisoned in Vietnam for the same poo poo that sporting arenas were like, "Hmmmm... maybe we should stop playing that guy's song..." It helped that by then they could play "Seven Nation Army" instead.

This song is straight up about a grown man having rough sex with a fifteen year old girl. It's not even remotely subtext Mick Jagger striaght up says "I can see that you're just fifteen years old, I don't want to see your ID.".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOSYB38y2xA

In a live version he says "thirteen". It's a super gross song and I'm dumbfounded that this was ever deemed acceptable. The comments on the video are as awful as you'd expect.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Rad-daddio posted:

Both my parents did fairly well. My mom was very good with money which really let them press their generational advantages. My dad rode on the coattails of my mom's good planning which was very evident when they got divorced and my mom wasn't around to rein in his stupid decisions.

They bought a townhouse with my dad's VA loan, scrimped and saved and later bought a house in the suburbs, then rented out their townhouse instead of selling it. A few years living in their home my mom buys the house next door on a short sale and they rent it out as well. The rental income combined with two professional jobs put them in a really comfortable spot financially, and they were able to sell their home and move into an even bigger one. Who knows how much further they would have built their wealth, but then my dad was a moron and cheated on my mom, they split everything up, each getting one rental property.

My dad's opioid addiction came to light, he lost his nursing license and nobody in the bay area would hire him to so much as wipe old people asses so he moved out in the middle of nowhere with my stepmother. Of course managing a rental property from so far away was a hassle so he sold it and bought 3 meth houses in Yolo County, which promptly got ruined by tweaker renters and sold at a big loss. Had he kept the townhouse, it would have benefited from being next to a newly built BART station. Without my mom to get him to go to the doctor he neglected his health and was medically retired in his late forties, with my stepmother working 60 hours a week to support him and their two kids. (turns out he thought it was a good idea to start a new family after torpedoing his career with drug theft.)

My mom did much better. She lived frugally, and worked extra shifts to help me cover my college tuition (thanks mom :3 ) she planned her retirement well and recently retired with a paid off home and a rental home. Had my dad been as sensible (and loyal) who knows how disgustingly well off they would have been.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!
Paul Reed Smith Guitars

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Bonus points if they have one of those obnoxious motorcycle radios that you can hear from four blocks away.

This song is straight up about a grown man having rough sex with a fifteen year old girl. It's not even remotely subtext Mick Jagger striaght up says "I can see that you're just fifteen years old, I don't want to see your ID.".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOSYB38y2xA

In a live version he says "thirteen". It's a super gross song and I'm dumbfounded that this was ever deemed acceptable. The comments on the video are as awful as you'd expect.

:eyepop:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Every time I hear that Beatles song where they sing, "she was just seventeen, if you know what I mean," I'm pretty sure he means she was thirteen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Tip posted:

Every time I hear that Beatles song where they sing, "she was just seventeen, if you know what I mean," I'm pretty sure he means she was thirteen.

I always assumed that song was from the point of view of a teenager, but if that's the case, then ew. Stray Cat Blues is unambiguously sinister.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
While it is easy to villify the boomers, I think it is necessary to understand a few things from their perspective and background.

The background of the boomers is extremely varied. I have worked with boomers who served in Vietnam and others who were too young.

It excessively simplifies the situation by just going "Boomers? Argh!"

If you grew up during the boom, I think it would be difficult to come to terms with the eventual decline.

Plus so much has changed in 50 years.
Once you get to a certain point in life where you don't have anyone to show how to do a certain thing. It becomes much harder to do.

For example:
Typing, texting, television, rules for driving, fixing cars, taxes, using a calculator, using a slide rule, doing math the old way, doing math the new way, effective debate, how to talk/explain facts to people without getting them super defensive, financial education, basic agriculture, basic carpentry or metal working, technical writing, orgnization of material

Chances are there are things on the above list that you are not going to be able to learn without being shown to do it. And getting good at is, as an adult is going to be much more difficult compared to being exposed to it early on in the process.

Someone earlier in the thread was talking about Coal power. It wasn't super popular because it was safe and fun and it was what folks grew up with. It was super popular because it was CHEAP as well as generally being THE energy producer of choice at that period of time. (Coal was well known.) Eventually in the 1970s and 1980s gas turbines and nuclear power plants became more popular, but coal still generally reigned surpreme. Now, more recently we are retiring coal and have a growing number of solar and wind power plants.

However the fine line in power production is what is the right ratio of emissions to local jobs to tax revenue to elecitricity pricing to fuel cost to maintenance cost. While coal mines may be ending. Coal power plants and steel mills were both pretty big contributors to the blue collar working class in the U.S. in the 1950s to the 1980s.

Factoring in emissions and today there are only a few choices: Hydrogen fuels and electrification, Nuclear electrification, Lots more battery storage (but then we have to deal with the recycling life cycle issue for batteries.)

For example this chart only deals with energy used in generation of electricity. There is still the topic of energy used for commercial heating. Energy used for industrial purposes. And energy used for transportation.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Boomers like this post

Senor P. posted:

While it is easy to villify the boomers, I think it is necessary to understand a few things from their perspective and background.

The background of the boomers is extremely varied. I have worked with boomers who served in Vietnam and others who were too young.

It excessively simplifies the situation by just going "Boomers? Argh!"

If you grew up during the boom, I think it would be difficult to come to terms with the eventual decline.

Once you get to a certain point in life where you don't have anyone to show how to do a certain thing. It becomes much harder to do.

For example:
Typing, texting, television, rules for driving, fixing cars, taxes, using a calculator, using a slide rule, doing math the old way, doing math the new way, effective debate, how to talk/explain facts to people without getting them super defensive, financial education, basic agriculture, basic carpentry or metal working, technical writing, orgnization of material

Chances are there are things on the above list that you are not going to be able to learn without being shown to do it. And getting good at is, as an adult is going to be much more difficult compared to being exposed to it early on in the process.

Someone earlier in the thread was talking about Coal power. It wasn't super popular because it was safe and fun and it was what folks grew up with. It was super popular because it was CHEAP as well as generally being THE energy producer of choice at that period of time. (Coal was well known.) Eventually in the 1970s and 1980s gas turbines and nuclear power plants became more popular, but coal still generally reigned surpreme. Now, more recently we are retiring coal and have a growing number of solar and wind power plants.

However the fine line in power production is what is the right ratio of emissions to local jobs to tax revenue to elecitricity pricing to fuel cost to maintenance cost. While coal mines may be ending. Coal power plants and steel mills were both pretty big contributors to the blue collar working class in the U.S. in the 1950s to the 1980s.

Factoring in emissions and today there are only a few choices: Hydrogen fuels and electrification, Nuclear electrification, Lots more battery storage (but then we have to deal with the recycling life cycle issue for batteries.)

For example this chart only deals with energy used in generation of electricity. There is still the topic of energy used for commercial heating. Energy used for industrial purposes. And energy used for transportation.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Lmao @ boomer apologists itt

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Buddha/hindu statues fuckin' everywhere despite being christians.

idk if this was just my parents and grandparents aesthetic but their house looks ridiculous.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Boomers like books. With paper pages and everything

lmao

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

SeXReX posted:

Lmao @ boomer apologists itt

I mean I kind of get it, people don't want to think of their parents as contributing to the ultimate downfall of American (and therefore global) society but here we are.

My old boss (straight up boomer) once admitted to me that he knew his generation had destroyed America, it was just happening slower than he thought. I think if I could talk to him now he would say it was definitely happening and happening fast.

You can justify boomer thoughts and actions all you want, it doesn't change the fact that they carelessly drove the ship right into the iceberg then took all the lifeboats and split.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
More like deathboats.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

They used to play a few bars from his hit song, "Rock N Roll (Part 2)" at EVERY loving sporting event.

Great, now it's stuck in my head. I'm glad it's dead.

Seriously, it's impossible to listen to dadrock stations for very long without running into a song with a lyric that makes you think "what the gently caress?" I think they only got away with it because no one paid attention to the words.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

CEO had an informal talk with us about the company future that devolved into a big long rant about Brexit and what a poo poo idea it is that only racists could like and how angry he is with his generation for making GBS threads up the place and ruining things for the younger generations. Not a very boomer or CEOish attitude imo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

Boomers learned this from their parents who lived through the Depression.

My mom definitely learned food hoarding from my grandmother, and I definitely learned it from my mom. My roommate once said that I'm not happy unless something is jumping out at me when you open the freezer. Luckily I have a roommate that eats things that I would otherwise be happy letting collect dust in the pantry.

LabyaMynora posted:

And then there's Gary Glitter...

I admit that I don't go to sports games often, but I know they were still playing Rock N Roll Part 2 in the last 10 years, I never noticed when it went away. I do remember in the 90's hearing some radio DJs talking about it like it was a joke.

Senor P. posted:

This is flat boomer apologist bullshit.

Boomers just don't want to learn new things. If a boomer hasn't learned how to use a computer by 1994, well most people didn't then, If a boomer hasn't learned how to use a computer by 2019, they've actively avoided it for the last 20 years at a minimum.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Boomers just don't want to learn new things. If a boomer hasn't learned how to use a computer by 1994, well most people didn't then, If a boomer hasn't learned how to use a computer by 2019, they've actively avoided it for the last 20 years at a minimum.

"How do I copy text from a website onto Word? How do I download a file? Why is my computer so slow?"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

My mom definitely learned food hoarding from my grandmother, and I definitely learned it from my mom. My roommate once said that I'm not happy unless something is jumping out at me when you open the freezer. Luckily I have a roommate that eats things that I would otherwise be happy letting collect dust in the pantry.

I admit that I don't go to sports games often, but I know they were still playing Rock N Roll Part 2 in the last 10 years, I never noticed when it went away. I do remember in the 90's hearing some radio DJs talking about it like it was a joke.

My grandfather (WWII vet) knew how to use a computer. He had a Commodore 64 when I was a child and taught me how to program in BASIC. He kept up to the latest models right up until his passing away. Boomers have no excuse.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wtf is up with boomers that drive motorbikes, you are so frail and unlikely to survive a crash dudes get your car back

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Boomers like to make their kids a middleman between themselves and Google.

"Uhhh I have no loving clue how to cancel your MLB Gameday subscription mom, let me check Google... Ok it says to..."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My boss' boss once had me and a few other new hires sit in a presentation about millennials. He was in his 50s and was trying to show that actually, we had it EASIER than anyone else.

There were graphs and poo poo and it showed us that nowadays, computers were MUCH cheaper than when he was growing up. And yeah, wages had stagnated but you could buy more Xboxes and Super Marios and TI-83 graphing calculators (yes, seriously) than ever before!

I don't know what the point of this was except to discourage us from putting in anything beyond the most basic effort at the job. In which case, it worked amazingly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Not using turn signals