Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

yeah I had to stop reading after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

mdemone posted:

it's loving amazing. literally watching an asteroid about to hit the planet and saying "oh no, no, we have a giant net, see? sure, the last asteroid got through, killed a whole city, but our net is better"

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

@ putin please use your 100 megaton radioactive tsunami bomb

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
“It’s Miami,” she said. “We are surrounded by water! There’s not a solution. But nothing is going to happen!”

:nutshot:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

this is fine

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
gods mad!!!!

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train

mdemone posted:

I had to stop reading because of the long, boring descriptions of jewelry and attractiveness

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Dead Beef posted:

this is fine

when your climate is normal

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I love those Miami articles, I love them so much. They're my happy place.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Telephones posted:

gods mad!!!!
clearly this is because of all the gay marriage

if we only roll back our social mores 200 years god will surely smile

wait that didn't help? poo poo

maybe we should've listened to the scientists after all

too late now though

best to just keep burning the oil and making numbers go up

- neolibs 2050

animist
Aug 28, 2018
good news climate thread:

according to wikipedia, the only things we have to worry about are AI and nanotechnology. hooray!

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

animist posted:

good news climate thread:

according to wikipedia, the only things we have to worry about are AI and nanotechnology. hooray!
we're already killing ourselves with not-very-intelligent AI

animist
Aug 28, 2018
posting more cause i'm mad

that list is utterly nonsense. The list of extinction threats goes, like:

1. runaway climate change
2. natural pandemic
3. full-scale nuclear war

and then the rest are orders of magnitude less likely. that list is really like somebody played sci-fi channel madlibs. like, "nanotechnology accident", what? "grey goo" is a thought experiment, not an actual threat. and "engineered plague" listed above "natural plague" -- in what universe are biomed engineers (a.k.a. "throw things at lab rats and patent whatever sticks" engineers) more dangerous than *all of the diseases* produced by natural evolution? also lol at "wars (including civil wars)", just lol

of course, the really telling dreck is "Superintelligent AI" at the top of the list. if you look through the rest of [the article](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risk) you'll see lots of citations of people like Nick Bostrom: a singularitan crank who makes a living telling people that they don't need to worry about global warming, because thinky-robots are scarier. Those people like to call themselves rationalists / "Effective Altruists" ("give your money to effective causes, like me, so i can protect you from HAL 9000"); they're also the Roko's Basilisk people. They have the ear of Peter Thiel and a bunch of other nasty billionaires and they insert themselves into every loving conversation about climate change to distract people with their loving grift.

every time i see people talking about "superintelligence risk" instead of climate risk i want to punch them, and then send them on a weekend tour of Venus to see how not-risky climate change really is

okay madpost over back to sardonic nonchalance

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
it seems to me like the real risk from "AI" is trusting machine learning to run everything and it just crashing the economy and impoverishing the world or going haywire and radicalizing people to turn into fash-

gently caress

anyway all these effective altriusm assholes are just turning charity into another "efficiency-focused" market

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

If you read the UN ipbes report it gives a range of 30 to 700 million displaced migrants by 2050, lol

leptokurtic probability distributions are a persistent problem in modelling the effects of climate change

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

animist posted:

posting more cause i'm mad

that list is utterly nonsense. The list of extinction threats goes, like:

1. runaway climate change
2. natural pandemic
3. full-scale nuclear war

and then the rest are orders of magnitude less likely. that list is really like somebody played sci-fi channel madlibs. like, "nanotechnology accident", what? "grey goo" is a thought experiment, not an actual threat. and "engineered plague" listed above "natural plague" -- in what universe are biomed engineers (a.k.a. "throw things at lab rats and patent whatever sticks" engineers) more dangerous than *all of the diseases* produced by natural evolution? also lol at "wars (including civil wars)", just lol

of course, the really telling dreck is "Superintelligent AI" at the top of the list. if you look through the rest of [the article](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risk) you'll see lots of citations of people like Nick Bostrom: a singularitan crank who makes a living telling people that they don't need to worry about global warming, because thinky-robots are scarier. Those people like to call themselves rationalists / "Effective Altruists" ("give your money to effective causes, like me, so i can protect you from HAL 9000"); they're also the Roko's Basilisk people. They have the ear of Peter Thiel and a bunch of other nasty billionaires and they insert themselves into every loving conversation about climate change to distract people with their loving grift.

every time i see people talking about "superintelligence risk" instead of climate risk i want to punch them, and then send them on a weekend tour of Venus to see how not-risky climate change really is

okay madpost over back to sardonic nonchalance

my dude i agree with you completely but also that list is an alphabetical order and a for artificial intelligence comes before g for global warming

e: their list of extinction threats and probability, and the amount of space dedicated to each threat, is indeed lmao-worthy though

it's like some turbonerd decided to write his thesis on AI and nanotechnology in the form of a wikipedia article and only gave a few sentences to climate change because oh, it wouldn't actually make humanity extinct so therefore it's fine

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Apr 10, 2019

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Has the blizzard started hitting yet? It's super cool and normal how that's gonna happen.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

love climate change and extremely normal climates

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Dead Beef posted:

we're already killing ourselves with not-very-intelligent AI

we need a new enlightenment where we all realize we're actually dumb as loving poo poo - I think it'd be a lot healthier than our compulsory god complex

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Shima Honnou posted:

Has the blizzard started hitting yet? It's super cool and normal how that's gonna happen.

when the blizzard hits :2bong:

I don't think it's gonna get bad until later today. Looking forward to even more corn states being underwater again

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I don't think it's gonna get bad until later today. Looking forward to even more corn states being underwater again

Gonna be extremely lol

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Telephones posted:

we need a new enlightenment where we all realize we're actually dumb as loving poo poo - I think it'd be a lot healthier than our compulsory god complex

:hmmyes:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Way ahead of everyone re: knowing I'm a dumbass.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

cspam is leading the way

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

net work error posted:

So what's the plan.

posting murder fantasies on the internet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

the bitcoin of weed posted:

hell yeah. unironically our best chance for survival is corn states n south n florida to get loving wrecked over and over again. would suck for millions of people but with the senate and EC, it's literally our only hope for survival

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Love 2 worry about AI overthrowing humanity as close to a billion people are slowly forced to migrate due to climate change

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

Love 2 worry about AI overthrowing humanity as close to a billion people are slowly forced to migrate due to climate change

AI already destroyed humanity but it was the boring corporate profit-maximizing kind and not the cool sci-fi skynet kind so nerds didn't give a poo poo

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
is there a BIG WEATHER thread that watches/discusses all these extreme weather events?

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Xaris posted:

hell yeah. unironically our best chance for survival is corn states n south n florida to get loving wrecked over and over again. would suck for millions of people but with the senate and EC, it's literally our only hope for survival

You can bet your rear end those states will never have populations less than three: one rep and two senators. The Senate will be red forever barring nationwide cultural changes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
as they used to say, better dead than red

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

redleader posted:

is there a BIG WEATHER thread that watches/discusses all these extreme weather events?

Weatherocalypse thread in the Science sub-forum of Ask/Tell

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

vyelkin posted:

AI already destroyed humanity but it was the boring corporate profit-maximizing kind and not the cool sci-fi skynet kind so nerds didn't give a poo poo

we paperclip gamed ourselves to death to create virtual dollars on a computer somewhere.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

redleader posted:

Just make it, if the mods tell you no or close it down, keep posting it. They are powerless.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

redleader posted:

thats this thread tbf

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

redleader posted:

there was one but it's probably on like page 5 by now

e: ah no it's right there https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3868390&perpage=40&pagenumber=111#pti6

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Telephones posted:

maybe god is a dumbass

the universe seems to corroborate this, it's really dumb

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

it was 80 degrees in denver yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redleader posted:

The Weatherpocalypse thread in the Science, Academics, and Languages subform of A/T has been super dead for like a year, unfortunately. Gbs used to have a yearly hurricane hoedown thread back in the day, lol.

In Denver and can confirm, it sucks outside now. We arent getting 80mph winds knocking power out across the city this time tho so no probs vaping it up tonight :co: