Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Halloween Jack posted:

It's extremely good?

I think so too. But I was pointing out that not even its detractors criticize it's design work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Loving the photo of Lando in the storyboard spoiler post. Looking like a cool-rear end grandpa.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So we can expect a first trailer soon yes?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

BigglesSWE posted:

So we can expect a first trailer soon yes?

Almost certainly on the final day of Celebration, which is Tuesday, April 16th.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Gonz posted:

Sounds good, hopefully they'll have better infrastructure than Gearbox had when they showed off Borderlands 3, because lol.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Sounds good, hopefully they'll have better infrastructure than Gearbox had when they showed off Borderlands 3, because lol.

JJ Abrams: “Here’s the new trailer, filmed at 8 frames per second!”

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Gonz posted:

JJ Abrams: “Here’s the new trailer, filmed at 8 frames per second!”

"Remember when the Ant-Man trailer was shown as super small? Well with today's Star Wars trailer, we decided to take "a long time ago" to heart, and send it back into the past! In fact, you've already seen the movie!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gonz posted:

The Episode IX panel is Friday, though, at 11:00AM Central. So probably then.

Also, the final day of Celebration is Monday the 15th.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 10, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It'd be silly to show the trailer on the final day, because then you can't sell things branded with the IX title

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

This is the first time we still haven’t gotten a title, right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BigglesSWE posted:

This is the first time we still haven’t gotten a title, right?

Before getting a trailer? Yeah, usually the title is it's own press release/announcement, then some time later we get a trailer. But I don't know how long before the release date we learned the title for the last few.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It feels like Lucas Films is super nervous about showing this movie to the world. I wonder how much changed for Episode IX after the massive backlash over Last Jedi, and Solo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I said come in! posted:

It feels like Lucas Films is super nervous about showing this movie to the world. I wonder how much changed for Episode IX after the massive backlash over Last Jedi, and Solo.

I wouldn't say that. Holding the preview off until Celebration certainly makes sense. It's what they did with The Last Jedi. It's like they're nervous about revealing the title, for some reason.

Star Wars: Episode IX: Rey is Luke's Father.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I honestly don't know what a "massive backlash" means in the context of TLJ still pulling in well over a billion and several times its production budget. Solo not so much, but that was a very troubled production. Strangely, all my friends have Issues with TLJ but enjoyed Solo. I can't help but think that's in large part because Solo is an adventure story that doesn't really grapple with anything meaningful.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Halloween Jack posted:

I honestly don't know what a "massive backlash" means in the context of TLJ still pulling in well over a billion and several times its production budget. Solo not so much, but that was a very troubled production. Strangely, all my friends have Issues with TLJ but enjoyed Solo. I can't help but think that's in large part because Solo is an adventure story that doesn't really grapple with anything meaningful.

TLJ doesn't really grapple with anything meaningful either. it just alludes to meaningful questions and then fails to deliver on them in any way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Money made doesn't equate to favorable reception. Audience opinion after seeing the Last Jedi was mostly negative.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

The Episode IX panel is Friday, though, at 11:00AM Central. So probably then.

Also, the final day of Celebration is Monday the 15th.

Bah, the internet lied to me! I stand corrected.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Money made doesn't equate to favorable reception. Audience opinion after seeing the Last Jedi was mostly negative.

looks like it's time for 20 pages of the most annoying discussion ever, again

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
dead brain: sequel trilogy good
woke brain: original trilogy good
big brain: prequels good
galaxy brain: all star wars bad

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

No, audience opinion you've decided to pay attention to has been mostly negative.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TBH they are probably waiting for all this avengers poo poo to die down. The hype is real for that movie and there’s not much point in trying to distract people from it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MarcusSA posted:

TBH they are probably waiting for all this avengers poo poo to die down. The hype is real for that movie and there’s not much point in trying to distract people from it.

There’s no way Avengers isn’t going to have a Star Wars trailer in front of it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MarcusSA posted:

But, again, we're almost certainly getting the trailer this Friday. Odd time to do that if you're trying to stay clear of The Avengers, 2 weeks before the release.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m probably wrong but it seems like the smart move to wait.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

General Dog posted:

There’s no way Avengers isn’t going to have a Star Wars trailer in front of it.

It's actually kind of stunning we don't have Marvelfest yet or some similar Celebration bullshit though maybe that's just Comic Con.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Will of the Force

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Star Wars Episode IX: A Splash in the Toilet

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There is no way Avengers doesn't have a Star Wars trailer before it.

thrawn527 posted:

Before getting a trailer? Yeah, usually the title is it's own press release/announcement, then some time later we get a trailer. But I don't know how long before the release date we learned the title for the last few.

The Force Awakens' title was announced was the November of the year before release, Last Jedi was the January of the same year.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it feels like Disney hates Star Wars now. I think they're scared to release episode IX. they're probably going to quietly release it to a few scattered theaters and write the whole thing off, or maybe they'll just cancel it altogether. they're definitely going to cancel all Star Wars related projects soon because they're so embarrassed. I have no evidence to support this I just didn't like TLJ

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
Disney executive seeing the box office totals of Last jedi: "this star wars.. Is a joke!"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
TLJ wasn't as bad upon second viewing but the people who defend it this way are just doing the old Brittany Spears is a great musician because look at how many records she sold routine

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

TLJ wasn't as bad upon second viewing but the people who defend it this way are just doing the old Brittany Spears is a great musician because look at how many records she sold routine

I don't think anybody's saying that that's evidence that it's good, it's usually a response to the largely unsupported claim that it wasn't well-received by audiences.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

toxic slaps how dare u

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Dog posted:

I don't think anybody's saying that that's evidence that it's good, it's usually a response to the largely unsupported claim that it wasn't well-received by audiences.

It had a $700 million drop from TFA, which is insane. Most audiences didn't like it on aggregate scores. Meanwhile, each successive Marvel movie keeps making more and more money each time. But keep dying on that TLJ hill, I guess.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

TLJ still made more money than most movies so I don't think Disney's scared to release the next main entry in the franchise but maybe that's just me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

romanowski posted:

they're definitely going to cancel all Star Wars related projects soon

We don't live in a timeline that is this lucky or fortunate.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Whills of the Force

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

The film can have been financially successful and also the center of a storm of controversy (unjustified controversy is still controversy!) and disney can be happy about the financial success but worried about further controversy

Two things can exist at once. Believe in the force

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

There never even was a star wars movie series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Slutitution posted:

It had a $700 million drop from TFA, which is insane. Most audiences didn't like it on aggregate scores. Meanwhile, each successive Marvel movie keeps making more and more money each time. But keep dying on that TLJ hill, I guess.

:jerkbag:

Yes, TLJ had a drop from TFA, but it was about 300 million, not 700. You wanna be grumpy about the movie? Sure that's fine, no one has to like any film, but come on now.