Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I would pay for a service that just provided me with a login for the apple tv apps without the live tv option. I never watch live tv, but I use the apps all the time to watch their on demand shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah what is the opposite of cutting cable because I think the weekly Spectrum 12 month mailer offers I have been getting are actually cheaper than YTTV now after the increase

Yeah, I use my brothers Youtube TV account, but watch it maybe once every 2 weeks. If you go with Spectrum don't pay for a cable box, or HD, or any other bullshit. They have their own app that you can watch all your channels live and in HD for free with your login. It's on Roku, I know that because my dad uses it at his house.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think a lot of the buffering issues are equipment/app based. I use Hulu and HBONow on a Shield as well as multiple ATV4K's and the Shield is where there is a 97% chance to see buffering and farting. :colbert:

Coincidence? :iiam:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Keyser_Soze posted:

I think a lot of the buffering issues are equipment/app based. I use Hulu and HBONow on a Shield as well as multiple ATV4K's and the Shield is where there is a 97% chance to see buffering and farting. :colbert:

Coincidence? :iiam:

During my week trial of Playstation Vue last week, totally different experience using it on a PS4, Roku Premiere, and the TCL Roku Interface on my TV.

I suggest people try these things on multiple devices during the trial periods.

Just started DirecTV now. Liking it more than PS Vue, but the 20 hour DVR is pathetic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheScott2K posted:

A TiVo with a lifetime subscription.

My friend gave me his old 2007-era TiVo. It's HD with 2 cablecard tuner slots, although I'm using it with an antenna. Would it happen to have any kind of networking or streaming capability? I kind of doubt it from this era, but it'd be nice to VPN in when I'm not at home and watch stuff. I found a "Media Access Key" in the menus but the URL it gives for more info is dead. I installed the Android app but I guess I need to get the account from my friend.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Charles posted:

My friend gave me his old 2007-era TiVo. It's HD with 2 cablecard tuner slots, although I'm using it with an antenna. Would it happen to have any kind of networking or streaming capability? I kind of doubt it from this era, but it'd be nice to VPN in when I'm not at home and watch stuff. I found a "Media Access Key" in the menus but the URL it gives for more info is dead. I installed the Android app but I guess I need to get the account from my friend.

I strongly doubt a 2007 TiVo is going to work with any streaming service. The Xbox360 was one of the earliest non-PC devices that could do Netflix and it couldn't do it until like 2008.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/10/t-mobile-officially-unveils-its-home-tv-service-tvision-home/

Starting at 100 bucks (minus 10 for current T-Mobile subscribers), plus 10 bucks for a STB. Ehhhhhhhhhh....

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's garbage.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's $100/mo and still requires an internet connection, for now. I know their goal is to move the service to the 5G cellular network when they merge with Sprint, but that's way too high for what they are offering.

$100/mo, doesn't require broadband internet, and an app with the same experience on your phone/tablet? Sure, I can see the appeal in that for some people that don't want to pay $70+ a month for an internet connection at home. But that seems like a very niche market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's literally just layer3 rebranded as t-mobile. It doesn't even look like they struck new carriage agreements since all of the markets are the same.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
A lot of news about Disney Plus coming out today.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Interesting, so the $7/month rumor was true

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That is a "we're coming for your marketshare, Netflix" price

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Love to watch movies from only one studio.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Disney owns a tremendous amount of production studios. Also don't forget they Fox now, which is a huge amount of films, including this cinematic gem

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LoL if you think Disney is "only one studio" in TYOOL 2019.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.businessinsider.com/disney-plus-streaming-details-price-release-date-shows-movies-2019-4

quote:

Kevin Mayer, Disney's direct-to-consumer and international chairman, said on Thursday that the company "will likely" bundle Disney Plus, Hulu, and ESPN Plus at a discount.

quote:

In a surprise twist Thursday, Disney announced that the first 30 seasons of "The Simpsons" will be available at launch, and Disney Plus will be the exclusive streaming home for the show.

If they do Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ bundled for $9.99/month or something that's absolutely going to scare the poo poo out of Netflix

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Wait are you talking about Disney or Netflix?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

ESPN+ isn't what you think it is

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how year 1s figures are ‘wow that’s a pretty good amount of stuff!’ levels then year 5 doesn’t feel like a huge bump.

Completely forgot that FX would be losing their big Simpsons archive, ouch.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

ESPN+ isn't what you think it is

Yeah it's pretty bad, but if you follow a b-tier college team or the UFC it's alright

A step above the shitshow that is CBS All Access

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Any word on:

1) Will that $6.99 be ad free and if not will there be an ad free tier?
2) Will they have 4k HDR in their library?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Yes 4K HDR, no ad-supported

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, that answers that. No ad free, no subscribe.

Edit: whoops I think I misunderstood you.

quote:

Unlike Hulu and other streaming services on the market, Disney+ will not have ads, in any way, shape, or form.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/04/11/disney-plus-ad-free-streaming-service/

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It's silly, but what would really interest me is having access to all those old Donald Duck/Mickey/Goofy cartoons that they used to play all the time on the Disney channel in the 80s. I always wondered why they don't have a channel full of those on the TV at Disney World. They have some, but they're either newer cartoons, or they cut them up for time.

But for $7 a month? I'd try it for awhile.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Oh yea sorry to be clear no free, ad supported model. Disney+ will be paid and have no ads at all.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silly Burrito posted:

It's silly, but what would really interest me is having access to all those old Donald Duck/Mickey/Goofy cartoons that they used to play all the time on the Disney channel in the 80s. I always wondered why they don't have a channel full of those on the TV at Disney World. They have some, but they're either newer cartoons, or they cut them up for time.

Yeah I remember Good Morning Mickey having the old shorts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Morning,_Mickey!

They could just throw up the 80 episodes of that on Disney+ and I'd be happy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8wctVg9zS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrXNtj84owc

If they offer 4K+HDR for $7/mo, that's on par with renting a single UHD movie on Vudu or wherever you get movies from

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah I remember Good Morning Mickey having the old shorts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Morning,_Mickey!

They could just throw up the 80 episodes of that on Disney+ and I'd be happy

Holy crap, thanks for the memory jog. I forgot all about this, but I watched the hell out of Donald Duck presents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPyhs0E77qQ

Yeah, if they have those old cartoons, that's pretty much an instant get for awhile.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Astro7x posted:

If they offer 4K+HDR for $7/mo, that's on par with renting a single UHD movie on Vudu or wherever you get movies from

They are is my understanding.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheScott2K posted:

I strongly doubt a 2007 TiVo is going to work with any streaming service. The Xbox360 was one of the earliest non-PC devices that could do Netflix and it couldn't do it until like 2008.

It has Netflix, but I was asking about getting content off of it. Anyways, turns out a program called kmttg is what I needed, although it's hard to use. The official software is discontinued.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not sure if that one that supports it, but pyTivo Desktop works pretty with with my Bolt and is easy to use.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 12, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

Not sure if that one that supports it, but pyTivo Desktop works pretty with with my Bolt and is easy to use.

Yup, sure does too. Turns out it transfers at about 10megabits/s, so less than real-time (it'll take more than an hour to transfer an hour program). Yikes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I plan on getting the $69.99 annual pass on day one this is a hell of a deal.

Cross posting this

X-O posted:

LAUNCH DATE | November 12, 2019 (for U.S. subscribers); the service will roll out globally over the next two years

PRICES | $6.99 per month; $69.99 for an annual subscription. Content will be ad-free.

ANYTHING ELSE? | Mayer also told investors that it’s “likely” the company will bundle all of its streaming services — including Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ — for one price, adding that the bundled services would be available at a discount. Additionally, users will be able to download Disney+ content directly to their devices.

AVAILABLE AT LAUNCH:
* The Simpsons will make Disney+ its new exclusive home for streaming of past episodes
* Jon Favreau’s The Mandalorian, the first live-action Star Wars series
* Captain Marvel
* Forky Asks a Question, a series of Pixar shorts
* All Pixar theatrical shorts
* A live-action Lady and the Tramp
* The World According to Jeff Goldblum (via Nat Geo)
* More than 250 hours of content from Nat Geo
* 5,000 episodes of Disney Channel content
* 100 Disney Channel Original Movies

ROLLING OUT IN YEAR ONE:
* All Star Wars films
* All Pixar films
* Togo, an original film starring Willem Dafoe and telling the real-life story of a man and his lead sled dog’s journey through the Alaskan tundra
* Timmy Failure, an original film directed by Oscar winner Tom McCarthy
* Stargirl, based on the bestselling book
* More than 7,500 episodes and 500 films from the Disney library

OTHER SERIES ANNOUNCED:
* The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, starring Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan
* WandaVision, starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany
* Loki, starring Tom Hiddleston
* A Star Wars series about Cassian Andor and K-2S0, starring Diego Luna and Alan Tudyk
* High School Musical: The Musical: The Series
* Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2, a documentary series

OTHER MOVIES ANNOUNCED:
* A follow-up to the 2018 film Love, Simon
* The Phineas and Ferb Movie
* Noelle, a holiday movie starring Anna Kendrick, Bill Hader and others
* Lamp Life, a Pixar short starring Toy Story‘s Bo Peep

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
DuckTales and Goof Troop are all I see for Disney Afternoon content

https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1116502539837550603

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a really good deal, but I'm interested in the Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ package.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
drat. That's a strong lineup of old, new, and original content. The Mandalorian thing is at launch too, which is a no brainer for them.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Endless Mike posted:

That's a really good deal, but I'm interested in the Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ package.

As am I but I won't easily give up my ad-free version of Hulu. I'm curious how they'll work that out. I looked at ESPN+ and since I only get into NFL I could give gently caress all for ESPN+.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EugeneJ posted:

DuckTales and Goof Troop are all I see for Disney Afternoon content

https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1116502539837550603

Interesting content lineup. Malcolm in the Middle sticks out...

Very little Disney Jr content though. Doc McStuffins, Sofia The First, Vamparina, Puppy Dog Pals, Lion Guard, Elena of Avalor, Fancy Nancy, Muppet Babies, PJ Masks... that's the stuff my kid loves right now

Edit: the only thing I haven't seen mentioned is if they'll let you download content for offline viewing like Netflix and Amazon does.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Disney is trying to be the streaming service people who only have one OTT streaming service use and I don't think Netflix's pile of bad standup specials, middling movies, and indistinguishable original series is going to stop them.

It's got to be scary knowing the people coming for you know what they're doing.