Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

don't talk to normal people about bitcoin, its weird and they'll think you're a freak

don't talk to bitcoiners about bitcoin either they're all out to scam you

just keep all the bitcoin inside:)
inside is just where they expect it to be, try outside under a bird bath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
rootless cosmopolitan bankers controlling the media from their kibbutzes

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Boxturret posted:

just keep all the bitcoin inside your butt :)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

:wrong:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boxturret posted:

don't talk to normal people about bitcoin, its weird and they'll think you're a freak

don't talk to bitcoiners about bitcoin either they're all out to scam you

Yeah I eat butt(coin)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Boxturret posted:

We've been handling Bitcoins that were in your rear end?!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

MaxRockatansky514 2 points 8 hours ago

I encounter the same response in my circle of friends, co-workers and acquaintances. No drive at all to scratch the surface of BTC / crypto. I guess being plugged into the Matrix is more comfortable for them.

cubalibre101redditor for 3 months 1 point 4 hours ago

what you experience is the same that lots of other bitcoiners who "have seen the light" made. It is nice to know that even those who began as altcoiners are capable of seeing through all the garbage and lies the shitcoin marketing industry is pouring out. i also found it strange that especially IT folks, who should be able to grasp the beautiful concept of bitcoin, are dismissing it even harder than average people. maybe because they know what a joke the internet is when it comes to security/safety they can not imagine that of all places it is really the internet that has born the first ledger in human history that cannot be forged/altered/changed secretly.

TimelyUse3 2 points 7 hours ago

Most people don't even bother with basic financial competence, don't expect them to buy into the cutting edge

Forget it OP. Buy them Bitcoin if you want to, that's what I'm doing. Either Bitcoin dies and they forget about it in 10 years, or it succeeds and I'm the hero who gives them their $10k check for the small gifts I purchased them in the past

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

It is nice to know that even those who began as altcoiners are capable of seeing through all the garbage and lies the shitcoin marketing industry is pouring out.
really curious which of those 'lies' he thinks dont apply to bitcoin.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

CampingCarl posted:

really curious which of those 'lies' he thinks dont apply to bitcoin.

the lie is that any altcoin (including of course the obviously wrong and bad bitcoin forks) could possibly usher in the fiataclypse, or be the perfect store of value, or be worth eleventy billion dollars, or do whatever is convenient to you at that exact moment

I mean, somebody just made all those altcoins up, they're not divinely inspired like the One True Bitcoin Fork, etched into reality by a single cosmic tooth of Satoshi

...!
Oct 5, 2003

i just love the comments that are basically "why is it that (besides us, of course) the smarter someone is, the more likely they are to dismiss bitcoin? are smart people actually stupid? :thunk:"

they come soooooo close to getting it but then do an immediate 180 and march proudly in the opposite direction while smugly patting themselves on the back for not falling into such a clever trap

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

...! posted:

i just love the comments that are basically "why is it that (besides us, of course) the smarter someone is, the more likely they are to dismiss bitcoin? are smart people actually stupid? :thunk:"

they come soooooo close to getting it but then do an immediate 180 and march proudly in the opposite direction while smugly patting themselves on the back for not falling into such a clever trap

Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District posted:

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture."

Ray Mummert, creationist/intelligent design proponent, Pastor at Brethren in Christ Church, East Berlin, Pennsylvania

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
why is it that people who know electronic security is bad don't love bitcoin and our 20 hacks and leaks a week?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

Containers filled with cash coming in mail from “bitcoin job", should I be worried? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 3 hours ago by Salabadabadingdong

My son has been receiving containers with cash in them in the mail for the past few weeks. I asked him about it and he told me it’s a part of a job with bitcoin. Something about it doesn't seem usual, he showed me some bitcoin transactions on his iPhone connected to it but I don’t understand it too well. Could /r/bitcoin shed some light? Is this common?

Salabadabadingdong[S] [score hidden] an hour ago

It doesn't seem like a lot of cash it's one dollars bills but there are a lot of containers coming in.. maybe 10 or more a day. I snooped around and found two with exactly $12 dollars in them each.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

Containers filled with cash coming in mail from “bitcoin job", should I be worried? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 3 hours ago by Salabadabadingdong

My son has been receiving containers with cash in them in the mail for the past few weeks. I asked him about it and he told me it’s a part of a job with bitcoin. Something about it doesn't seem usual, he showed me some bitcoin transactions on his iPhone connected to it but I don’t understand it too well. Could /r/bitcoin shed some light? Is this common?

Salabadabadingdong[S] [score hidden] an hour ago

It doesn't seem like a lot of cash it's one dollars bills but there are a lot of containers coming in.. maybe 10 or more a day. I snooped around and found two with exactly $12 dollars in them each.

like intermodal shipping containers?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

like intermodal shipping containers?

Bitscoin, like Aspergers, always comes back to trains don’t it?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Would you like to have Bitcoin as part of the Lore in Cyberpunk 2077? And be able to buy the game with Bitcoin in gog? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 42 minutes ago by KiKaily

I think both things would be an awesome move from CD Projekt, assuming they like Bitcoin (which I hope they do from understanding it). It fits in the lore, and maybe even as a marketing move would be good.

Maybe we could tweet cd projekt in their main accounts, and tweet Mike Pondsmith himself (the original Cyberpunk tabletop game creator).

What do you guys think?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

...! posted:

Would you like to have Bitcoin as part of the Lore in Cyberpunk 2077? And be able to buy the game with Bitcoin in gog? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 42 minutes ago by KiKaily

I think both things would be an awesome move from CD Projekt, assuming they like Bitcoin (which I hope they do from understanding it). It fits in the lore, and maybe even as a marketing move would be good.

Maybe we could tweet cd projekt in their main accounts, and tweet Mike Pondsmith himself (the original Cyberpunk tabletop game creator).

What do you guys think?

No, thank you.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Bitscoin, like Aspergers, always comes back to trains don’t it?

no

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

no

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

disagreeing with an empty quote of your own post?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Chalks posted:

disagreeing with an empty quote of your own post?

im phone posting i can see ...!`s true cruelty

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Just got told we're standing up a Hyperledger server

Is it time to seek new employment?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/BlocktownCap/status/1116008088337776642

same but for signed photographs of pleasure kevin

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Crackbone posted:

Just got told we're standing up a Hyperledger server

Is it time to seek new employment?

Pleasure Kevin posting from beyond...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

Okay, but what if bitcoin climbs all the way to 5 million dollars? Just a possibility to explore.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

im sure the governments there are seized coins but good job showing men with guns wont be left behind even if bitcoin goes to the moon

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CampingCarl posted:

im sure the governments there are seized coins but good job showing men with guns wont be left behind even if bitcoin goes to the moon

well obviously a government with the foresight to invest in buttcoin will be enlightened by that point and will certainly never break the NAP

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CampingCarl posted:

i find it very implausible that the israeli government would seize something and not return it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I saw this on my commute the other morning:

In case you can't make it out it's a Lambo with a "HODLING" license plate. I hope it's just a "normal" Lamborghini owner with a nice sense of irony because otherwise that implies Bitcoin is leaking into the real world.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Mr.Radar posted:

I saw this on my commute the other morning:

In case you can't make it out it's a Lambo with a "HODLING" license plate. I hope it's just a "normal" Lamborghini owner with a nice sense of irony because otherwise that implies Bitcoin is leaking into the real world.

it's ironic no matter what, because spending money on a lambo isn't hodling, it's pissing away the gains you could make by buying more bitcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

remember: hodl was backronymed into meaning hodl on for dear life

he's just saying he's a really really really bad driver

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

im phone posting i can see ...!`s true cruelty

my proxy server filters out "im phone posting i can see ...!`s true cruelty" so thanks for agreeing that you disagree with an emptyquote of ur own post

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

my proxy server filters out "im phone posting i can see ...!`s true cruelty" so thanks for agreeing that you disagree with an emptyquote of ur own post

that seems awfully situational

and like a lie

post proof to the blockchain or forever be branded as a liar

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Chris Knight posted:

so apparently this is a thing: https://verified.me

I saw a presentation last week about it

it's "blockchain" powered

I told our svp after that i didn't think it was really a blockchain.

I wanted to ask the presenters what coin in made, and it they used proof of work or proof of stake, so I could be all like "well then it's not a blockchain is it?" :smugdog: but I couldn't be arsed

Hrm... Apparently they’re using IBM’s Hyperledger Fabric service. Which is especially odd, since there’s a whole other Hyperledger project (Indy) specifically related to identity that is actually pretty interesting (but mostly because it has a novel solution to implementing the W3C decentralized identifiers spec).

If you really want to throw them for a loop (and find out how full of poo poo they are), ask why Fabric specifically.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

and like a lie

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Im was an early investor in bitcoin and sold 2 years ago. Im back in. Here is why (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 11 hours ago by vaybor

Simple reason .

People at work, mom and pop investor, shoe shine guy, joe public stopped talking about it .

I dont see anymore "get rich with bitcoin" commercials and ads as much anymore

cnbc stopped showing the bitcoin ticker during fast money

Bitcoin dropped over 15k and its still being called a bubble.

Because of the above it is time for me to get back in.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Boxturret posted:

and like a lie

Liars? On the blockchain?!? Shirley, you must be joking.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

What is up follow bitcoiners (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 8 hours ago by gr3yman01

Bow peasants, for I now have 13 dollars in bitcoins. All of which I sent to the wrong address and I now have 12 cents.

Febos 1 point 8 hours ago

Best way to learn is on mistakes. Trust me you will not repeat something like this since you will be way more careful. Now you lost $13 and you prevent to make such mistake in future with $1000. You should be happy.

ThePriceIsRight [score hidden] 27 minutes ago

yes first time I used bitcoin I sent 2x the amount by accident and I did not receive 2x the xanax in return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7MeJionPMA