Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Procrastinator posted:

I want to ask the opposite question. What, in your opinion, should never be removed from pro wrestling, if you want to continue to enjoy it?

Convoluted submission holds, lariats and power bombs done from the traditional setup.

I love wrestling and these moves are the top of wrestling for me in the stuff that isnt real, but is awesome.

Zach Sabre Jr. is a cartoon, specifically he is the wrestler that cartoons promised me as a kid, the guy who ties people into knots. That is awesome, and I would miss figure fours and sharpshooters too in the move to a more shoot resembling product.

Powerbombs and lariats, best of the hoss moves, and completely not something you would want to do in a fight if you have other options available, but wrestling is great.

Marvel movies steal liberally from pro wrestling moves in their choreography, and that isn't a mistake, wrestling has some of the best looking stuff.

That said, in addition, one thing I would change as I forgot to mention it the other day is match length, not all the time, but sometimes I like a sprint, and just seeing two guy wreck each other for a minute or two and get pin or submission. Flash KO's and subs are awesome in boxing and MMA and add pins to that list and there is no reason it should be awesome in Wrestling. People get too weird about quick matches.

vv Ah, yeah, also give me back my fireworks goddammit! vv

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Extravagant entrances for big shows

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Procrastinator posted:

I want to ask the opposite question. What, in your opinion, should never be removed from pro wrestling, if you want to continue to enjoy it?

The weed belt.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't they remove/cut down on pyro after a bunch of incidents like lighting Taker, Triple H, and a bunch of fans on fire within a year or two?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

24/7 titles

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Benne posted:

-- Someone ripping off the T-shirt of his supposed faction to reveal the T-shirt of his REAL allegiance underneath
-- The referee doing the baseball-style YEEEERRRR OUTTAAAA HEEEERRRE windup when ejecting people from ringside

These are literally my favorite wrestling things

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

titties

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A greasy old pedophile shrieking "Puppies" at the top of his lungs

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

The New Day.
Tag Wrestling.
Dropkicks.
Suplexes of every variety.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Piledrivers
Fat guys who can fly gracefully
Heels singling out front row fans and owning them
People getting legit emotional for title wins (see the Miz's cash in)
Heels who turn face by having scruples

we don't need the blood. its nice but when we have it people overdo it.
when done for a meaningful reason though. your list is perfect Your heel is my favorite kind of heel. which is why I love heel batista so much. he only turned face because he was disrespected.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 11, 2019

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Dumb c00l hand signs should never leave pro-wrestling.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

WCW died because they stopped having luchadores take off their mask to reveal who they really are. The Ciclope thing and that time La Parka hit the diamond cutter and then ripped off his mask and it was DDP are incredible, and if WWE has done it recently then you better show it to me right this instant.

Fake edit: that time Sting wore a Sting mask in the crowd in TNA is one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was a lot more of that in WWF in the late 90s. Triple H dressing up like Goldust to shoot Kane with a goddamn cannon, Taker dressing up like Kane to get close to Vince, etc. Last time I can remember something like that happening is when CM Punk came out dressed like Jeff Hardy and I think that was ten years ago.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Sting comedy bits always stick with me. Both sting-masked sting and 'that's not sting, that's a PICTURE of sting' especially.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There was a lot more of that in WWF in the late 90s. Triple H dressing up like Goldust to shoot Kane with a goddamn cannon, Taker dressing up like Kane to get close to Vince, etc. Last time I can remember something like that happening is when CM Punk came out dressed like Jeff Hardy and I think that was ten years ago.

I'll never forget how angry that young Jeff fan was. Perfection.

Regarding blood, to specify, it bothers me that WWE builds up matches as violent spectacles and then nobody bleeds. The build to Ambrose vs Lesnar had hardcore legends approach Dean and hand him brutal weapons, with the implication that Dean was gonna even the playing field by turning the ring into his personal abattoir. Had that happened I wouldn't have minded Brock going over as long as he took some stuff and made Dean look good .

Instead, we got a mediocre hardcore match from a '99 episode of RAW.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Procrastinator posted:

Indie standoffs
Delayed selling where the guy holds off certain death just long enough to lay out his opponent so nobody can pin anybody
Fighting spirit spots including the 1-count and 1-count into the delayed sell
Kicking people in the head
When the babyface does the fingers together "this close" after nearly pulling off a quick win
Awesome/silly billing locations. I watched an old WCW recently with a jobber billed: "FROM OUTTA TOWN.... SNAAAAAAAAAKE BROOOOOOOWN!"

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I'll never forget how angry that young Jeff fan was. Perfection.

Regarding blood, to specify, it bothers me that WWE builds up matches as violent spectacles and then nobody bleeds. The build to Ambrose vs Lesnar had hardcore legends approach Dean and hand him brutal weapons, with the implication that Dean was gonna even the playing field by turning the ring into his personal abattoir. Had that happened I wouldn't have minded Brock going over as long as he took some stuff and made Dean look good .

Instead, we got a mediocre hardcore match from a '99 episode of RAW.

That was all Brock's fault. "Naah, don't wanna do hardcore stuff. Might get hurt before I go back to UFC again."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Indie standoffs
Delayed selling where the guy holds off certain death just long enough to lay out his opponent so nobody can pin anybody
Fighting spirit spots including the 1-count and 1-count into the delayed sell
Kicking people in the head
When the babyface does the fingers together "this close" after nearly pulling off a quick win
Awesome/silly billing locations. I watched an old WCW recently with a jobber billed: "FROM OUTTA TOWN.... SNAAAAAAAAAKE BROOOOOOOWN!"

Fave town to hail from: "From wherever he drat well pleases". They used that for Sid for a while in WCW.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fave town to hail from: "From wherever he drat well pleases". They used that for Sid for a while in WCW.

"Niggakeeprunnin, Mississippi" - Human Tornado

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stealth Tiger posted:

WCW died because they stopped having luchadores take off their mask to reveal who they really are. The Ciclope thing and that time La Parka hit the diamond cutter and then ripped off his mask and it was DDP are incredible, and if WWE has done it recently then you better show it to me right this instant.

Fake edit: that time Sting wore a Sting mask in the crowd in TNA is one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed.

They had Jeff Jarrett dress up as a Villano in 2000 and it was terrible because Jeff Jarrett is the worst.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Not quite the same as the above, but the Los Conquistadores angle between Edge & Christian and the Hardys was a fun little gimmick.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Before Brutus Beefcake (and tbh I'm not totally convinced on that count) was there anyone less talented/deserving in the WWE Hall of Fame than Jeff Jarrett? Only counting actual wrestlers, of course.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Jeff Jarrett's plenty talented, he just sucks rear end and should never have won a world title once let alone like 8 times or whatever.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Jeff Jarrett has his merits and talents, however he has the same problem Triple H has which is that he has a distinct idea in his head of what he is capable of and what he is best at, and this imagine differs greatly from what he is actually best at and where he should be used. So he ends up being real bad.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kvantum posted:

That was all Brock's fault. "Naah, don't wanna do hardcore stuff. Might get hurt before I go back to UFC again."

Still the WWEs fault for not checking before promoting the match like that. I personally will never criticise a wrestler for refusing to do hardcore bullshit (or really anything else they arent comfortable doing in the ring).

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
The best things in pro wrestling are the simplest things.

figure four leg locks
clotheslines
power bombs
eye gouges
back rakes
atomic drops (with accompanying oversell)

Heels cheating like motherfuckers even when they don't have to cheat to win
Heels being made to look like god drat idiots in the middle of the ring (no one was better at this than Mr Perfect and Rick Rude)
Faces having genuine intelligence instead of just being dudley do-right idiots
Faces not getting fooled by the same trick over and over again (unless it is funny, although if you do this, you better look like Jim Duggan)
Mustaches
Archetypal, broad strokes characters that aren't hard to follow
In-ring storytelling and psychology being the main drivers of the events

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lucha Underground had some sick billing:

From the Edge of the World
From the Cosmos
From the Last House on the Left
From Slamtown
From When Reptiles Ruled The Earth

Hey, speaking of cool billing, who all has had their name as part of a cool phrase? I don't mean like nicknames like "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase, for example, but like the following:
This is Sting!
The Man They Call Vader
They Call Him Cage
It's Bayley!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

Before Brutus Beefcake (and tbh I'm not totally convinced on that count) was there anyone less talented/deserving in the WWE Hall of Fame than Jeff Jarrett? Only counting actual wrestlers, of course.

Jarrett was a hundred times more deserving just on his WWF accomplishments than Koko B. Ware.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Jarrett was a hundred times more deserving just on his WWF accomplishments than Koko B. Ware.

Koko B. Ware had a sick brainbuster though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zero times a hundred is still zero

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

You guys are doing a great disservice to how awesome Koko's parts in "If You Only Knew" were.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Koko sag his own theme song

:colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stealth Tiger posted:

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
It should also be noted that sometimes love is like a piledriver.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Von Linus posted:

It should also be noted that sometimes love is like a piledriver.

Woop, woop woop, woop

-Birdman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvBEvG8XShY

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Do you think La Luchadora got mad when she found out, or did Becky ask her permission to wear the outfit first? :ohdear:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There’s also Koko’s entrance at the ‘93 Royal Rumble

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Yeah, and Hitler was Time magazine's Man of the Year.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Even in WWE/F canon Hillbilly Jim is a pretty underwhelming Hall of Famer. He was Hogan’s sidekick for a little bit then went down to the mid card. I don’t even recall hm being around for that long either.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Jim was in the cartoon show, that makes him a Legend.

A fraction of the older audience going "Oh yeah, that guy! I loved that guy when I was six!" is more than enough to get you into the WWE HoF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

When did the WWE start using the term WWE Universe, and did they immediately switch every single reference to the crowd/fans or did that happen gradually