Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Gaspy Conana posted:

How might one best go about getting that diner coffee taste? Really just however they do yer mass Denny's/ihop/mom n pop stuff? There's something distinct about it that's different than yer standard drip brew. What equipment do they use? I'm sure it's probably bad by most metrics but I don't care and want to try and reproduce it at home.

Real dark roast, think starbucks coffee. Probably overextracted a bit too for extra bitterness. Whenever I'm stateside for GDC I love that bitter brewed coffee they have on the carts in the convention centre with a heap of half-n-half but only because that's rarer here in Aus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Plus leave it on a hotplate for hours at a time.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Real dark roast, think starbucks coffee. Probably overextracted a bit too for extra bitterness. Whenever I'm stateside for GDC I love that bitter brewed coffee they have on the carts in the convention centre with a heap of half-n-half but only because that's rarer here in Aus

I don't know, Starbucks tastes super duper different to me than your standard diner coffee? Maybe it's just the mug & setting or something.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Tom Petty has the answer for you

quote:

Zanes tells Rolling Stone magazine Petty told him he once had a cup of diner coffee so good he asked the manager what kind it was.

It was Maxwell House.

Petty asked if he could watch the manager make it, and he noticed that it was made with a Bunn Automatic coffeemaker, which is used in many establishments that serve coffee in volume.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My gut feeling is that they probably use more water than necessary and it's probably kept hotter than necessary. And as others have said you can guarantee it's Maxwell House, Folgers, or something like that. Why wouldn't they water it down if they can get away with it, right? At the same time, I don't usually perceive diner coffee as weak, so it must be like, just enough water to not taste awful.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cold brew coffee instructions, go! Got some properly ground coffee beans from a local roaster, so all I need now are foolproof steps to make some banging cold brew. So many conflicting recipes online, some say 12 hrs, others say 24. Some say 1:4 ratio, coffee : water, others say 1:8.

Waiting for a callback from the roaster cause the guy is gonna tell me how he does it, he's pretty fuckin great when it comes to all things coffee related. But I'm on a caffeine high right now and more opinions are better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Make Japanese iced coffee instead: about a third of the water is ice instead, make pourover with the rest directly onto the ice, done.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I tried putting a pinch of salt in the clever dripper today and it seemed to make a smoother cup, though it could be in my head. More testing is necessary.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah Bunn coffee makers do seem to impart a certain taste. I don't know if it's because of how fast it brews it, or how hot the water is or what. But if you want that diner taste, canned coffee and a Bunn coffee maker will do it. Source: Used to have one in our office.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

silvergoose posted:

Make Japanese iced coffee instead: about a third of the water is ice instead, make pourover with the rest directly onto the ice, done.

I'm a fan of this but it's definitely a different thing. There is a significant flavor difference with actual cold brew. They both have their advantages.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

Cold brew coffee instructions, go! Got some properly ground coffee beans from a local roaster, so all I need now are foolproof steps to make some banging cold brew. So many conflicting recipes online, some say 12 hrs, others say 24. Some say 1:4 ratio, coffee : water, others say 1:8.

Waiting for a callback from the roaster cause the guy is gonna tell me how he does it, he's pretty fuckin great when it comes to all things coffee related. But I'm on a caffeine high right now and more opinions are better.

12 hours for min extraction, 24 for max extraction. 4:1 for concentrate, 1:8 for stuff you don't futz with. I do 18-24hrs 1:8ish ratio in a 1-gal jug with a nut milk bag containing the grounds and it comes out great every time.

You really don't need to overthink it, the extraction happens too slow to seriously gently caress up

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah the japanese method would just taste the same as what I've been doing so far. It's all good though, Mr Roaster Man Extraordinaire got back to me:

- 75g/l of coffee to distilled water
- 18 hours was recommended
- Taste once it's done and if it's too strong / too weak, add more / less coffee per litre
- Once strength is nailed, I can start faffing about with brew times to see the effect it has on flavour

I've got 3 2L mason jars that I'm gonna make a bunch of cold brew with, and since it keeps for a month in the fridge, I'm pretty much sorted for amazing coffee for eons.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

12 hours for min extraction, 24 for max extraction. 4:1 for concentrate, 1:8 for stuff you don't futz with. I do 18-24hrs 1:8ish ratio in a 1-gal jug with a nut milk bag containing the grounds and it comes out great every time.

You really don't need to overthink it, the extraction happens too slow to seriously gently caress up

Thank you, I'ma do this in one of the mason jars just to see how it compares.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Cold Brew is garbage and you shouldn't waste your time dialing it in.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Cold brew is good and convenient and the preferred option when it starts hitting 90+ by 7am in the summer months.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Drink hot drinks to encourage more sweating. If you live in the land of humidity where its 90+ and also 90%+ RH then... RIP.

Also Flash chilled/ice brew/japanese method are all better than cold brew.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

stop liking things i don't like

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Let me rephrase.

Don't bother putting effort into your cold brewing because the difference between sticking some maxwell house in an old soda bottle with tap water in the fridge for a day or so then pouring through a filter and getting fresh single origin beans from a local roaster that you "cold brew" with filtered water for an ideal amount of time is nowhere near the cost of your time and money involved.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, let me just leave this here.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190402-these-coffee-snobs-ban-milk-and-sugar

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So that article referenced the Barista Guild Leadership Council as being pro poo poo in your drink.

I wanted to see how much money Starbucks pumps into them, can't even find said trade group outside of that article.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Yes. people are creatures of habit, and one might even question if they are even sentient before having a cup of coffee. What a wonderful and thought provoking article.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

So that article referenced the Barista Guild Leadership Council as being pro poo poo in your drink.

I wanted to see how much money Starbucks pumps into them, can't even find said trade group outside of that article.

They aren't a real trade group. They're trying though!!

E: In the US I am speaking that is. I don't know if other countries have actual trade groups established.

Here's the US one.

https://www.baristaguild.coffee/about

Sextro fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 12, 2019

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Eh, the whole thing is so overblown. If a shop is that stupid, then just buy your coffee elsewhere.

I like my coffee with cream and sugar. I like black coffee. I like coffee with just sugar. I like coffee with just cream. And, I really don't care how anyone else drinks their coffee, and have formed no opinion about them in any way because of it. But, a coffee shop that thinks everyone must enjoy coffee the way they do is just throwing money in the gutter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm a fan of this but it's definitely a different thing. There is a significant flavor difference with actual cold brew. They both have their advantages.

Yeah the Japanese one is really flavorful while cold brew is not

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

Eh, the whole thing is so overblown. If a shop is that stupid, then just buy your coffee elsewhere.

Yeah, any town/neighborhood that can support a place like this almost certainly has a similarly-good place nearby that lets you put what you want in your coffee.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So for medication reasons, I'm having to swear off caffeine for the foreseeable future. Coffee is my favorite beverage which is problematic. Does anyone know of a good source for decaf beans that aren't super muted and boring? I know that's kind of just part of the deal with the decaffeinating process, but surely someone has cracked the code and made a decent decaf? I picked up a blend from Intelligentsia and it's alright I suppose, just...flat. I prefer lighter, fruitier coffees if that matters.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My partner had to switch to decaf for half her coffee intake at her Drs request.
Our local roaster is Mayorga Organics and she got their decaf Cafe Cubano blend. We had tried the regular blend before and it is pretty much identical to the full strength version.
They use a swiss water process to remove the caffeine.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah Swiss Water Process is about the only decaf I've ever found remotely passable.

I have a friend who had to cut caffeine and he just couldn't stand any decaf coffee. He stated drinking dark chocolate cocoa or mexican hot chocolates. There's a little caffeine in there (like 15mg), but way less than coffee.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Echoing that Swiss water processed is what you need to look for. There might be a few other phrases that mean the same thing, basically if they brag about being organic and natural and stuff you're usually good. You'll typically have to seek out a good local roaster's offerings, but a lot of them do it. I don't mean you have to actually find the roaster's place of business though, just any store that sells local coffee, or somewhere like Whole Foods.

And yes, I have tried it myself and it's pretty good. It can't beat real coffee, but it doesn't taste like total garbage the way regular decaf does.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've had decent decaf espresso at the fancy cafes. It must be the swiss water thing because it tasted pretty close to the real thing. Maybe the espresso extraction hides the bad flavors.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What on earth were the people who were slandering cold brew going on about? Japanese Iced Coffee ye sure, but my cold brew turned out amazing. It's insanely smooth and I've got 4L of the stuff to make all kinds of summer drinks with. Can put this stuff in a thermos and go to a picnic and sip beautiful coffee to my heart's content whilst the sun caresses my face.

Cold brew tastes flavourful!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Qubee posted:

What on earth were the people who were slandering cold brew going on about? Japanese Iced Coffee ye sure, but my cold brew turned out amazing. It's insanely smooth and I've got 4L of the stuff to make all kinds of summer drinks with. Can put this stuff in a thermos and go to a picnic and sip beautiful coffee to my heart's content whilst the sun caresses my face.

Yes. It's flavorful. It tastes like cold brew. Every half decently executed cold brew tastes like cold brew.

You can use 8 month old beans you forgot about in a suitcase, you can use burnt Starbucks beans, you can use preground from the grocery store, and it'll all come out about the same. Like cold brew. It's a perfect vessel to dump cream and sugar into for a tasty treat. It just has nothing to do with good coffee that tastes like anything more than "coffee"

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh get off it

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Eh it works out great for what I want it for so I'm happy. When I want tedious, flavourful coffee, I'll give the more intricate and artisanal methods a go. But cold brew suits my needs perfectly atm because I can just throw it all together in no time and I've got a delicious drink, albeit with copious amounts of syrup / cocoa powder / cream / milk. I'm a god drat heretic and I love it. It's my summer vice.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

"[img posted:

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/4b/0b/00121012.0002.png[/img] "]
Oh get off it

Great av/post combo

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Goons posted:

Swiss Water Process stuff

Thanks guys, that's good info to know. There are several really good roasters here in Chicago, but none of their websites say how their decaf was processed. I guess I'll just have to go ask around.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Qubee posted:

Eh it works out great for what I want it for so I'm happy. When I want tedious, flavourful coffee, I'll give the more intricate and artisanal methods a go. But cold brew suits my needs perfectly atm because I can just throw it all together in no time and I've got a delicious drink, albeit with copious amounts of syrup / cocoa powder / cream / milk. I'm a god drat heretic and I love it. It's my summer vice.

I didn't go back and reread the last three pages but I think the sentiment was more along the lines of "don't waste money on good coffee beans if you are going to use them for cold brew since it tastes the same for almost any quality bean" not "cold brew is terrible and you shouldn't do it".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Qubee posted:

I think it's ok but I can't get excited about cold brew. I like that it's convenient. But I guess I get pissed that coffee shops sell like tiny 8oz servings of cold brew for $5 now.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Keret posted:

Thanks guys, that's good info to know. There are several really good roasters here in Chicago, but none of their websites say how their decaf was processed. I guess I'll just have to go ask around.

https://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/coffee/decaf

Intelligentisa uses 'mountain water process' which is what you're looking for.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I didn't go back and reread the last three pages but I think the sentiment was more along the lines of "don't waste money on good coffee beans if you are going to use them for cold brew since it tastes the same for almost any quality bean" not "cold brew is terrible and you shouldn't do it".

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it's ok but I can't get excited about cold brew. I like that it's convenient. But I guess I get pissed that coffee shops sell like tiny 8oz servings of cold brew for $5 now.

Basically. Yeah.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cold brew is great; but it definitely turns out relatively fine even with beans I pick up from Sam's Club. So that's what I do <shrug>

Nitro Cold Brew is real fuckin nice though; that's super enjoyable.

~~~ in my opinion ~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I just buy beans like normal and make sure I always buy fresh beans. Any beans I don’t use within a couple weeks get put in a jar. That jar gets used for cold brew.