Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Now I might be wrong but it feels like the item collector magnet-beam is much weaker than in the last patch. I feel like I have to move much closer to items to suck them in. While I appreciate that if egosoft is going to add this fun vacuum, at least make it make sense. Why does it work on some things and not others? In old X games if you wanted to collect an item you needed to pilot to it, EXACTLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PoopinClumpin posted:

Now I might be wrong but it feels like the item collector magnet-beam is much weaker than in the last patch. I feel like I have to move much closer to items to suck them in. While I appreciate that if egosoft is going to add this fun vacuum, at least make it make sense. Why does it work on some things and not others? In old X games if you wanted to collect an item you needed to pilot to it, EXACTLY

It works about a kilometer out but it doesn't work on asteroids for some reason.

E: Unrelated but I really enjoy that you can voltron your ships together in this. If you dock an M size ship on an L or XL size one with an external landing pad, the M ship can fire its dorsal turrets at anything nearby :v:

This means that a colossus with all its dorsal landing pads full of gorgons or cerberoi is probably the beefiest ship in the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 7, 2019

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just launched a drill vanguard mining for nividium on this new(to me) advanced auto mine and he can't seem to sell it anywhere. Did they remove nividium for easy startup capital?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I just launched a drill vanguard mining for nividium on this new(to me) advanced auto mine and he can't seem to sell it anywhere. Did they remove nividium for easy startup capital?

Was it ever easy startup capital? It's technically expensive, but nobody wants to buy the stuff - there were few trading stations trading it, but once you filled them up it stays there forever, there are no consumers

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pyromancer posted:

Was it ever easy startup capital? It's technically expensive, but nobody wants to buy the stuff - there were few trading stations trading it, but once you filled them up it stays there forever, there are no consumers

Yea, buy one miner, set it to auto mine nividium, repeat. Once stations fill up, you have miners ready to go for your metal/silicon production.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

In the story fluff doesn't the cock like "eat" the Nvidium and the Paranids were stealing it from them, thus starting the whole war? Maybe there's a way to sell it to the Cock

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
in my headcannon the cock are just the 3.5 dimensional hands of a 7th dimensional hyperbeing infant, and our existance is like little creatures in a rockpool for them, until they discovered we had nividium, which is like a combo of pepper, salt, mustard and meth, is a pleasing octave and just the right hue, plus, it does not gently caress up so badly when making paper gliders for 7th dimensional space. so they tried to tell us this, sadly their communication systems were limited to hard light at the time.
as we were somehow able to nibble away at their gloves, they made tougher gloves, however, in X4 they discovered 8d p0rn that was wisely hidden from them until now. so are not really there.

I get bored easily.

Oh, to celebrate (?) my entry into the "modder" classification in the Ego discord, I got all the ships from X3's Xtra pack converted over to a format that Blender can open and fiddle with, so, I'm going to try the Kha'ak Ships, however, anyone is welcome to have a crack at importing ships from that pack into X4 (I got permission from Cadius, the maker of it on the Ego forums), so, anyone wanting to fiddle with Xtr4 can go ahead.

staberind fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 9, 2019

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Pyromancer posted:

didn't the Teladi make teladianianianianium by processing it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In X4 it isn't used for anything by default which is a bit of a shame. I think the teladi do actually have a teladianainaianium based set of alternate processing buildings so they definitely thought about that as a possibility. Perhaps it will be modded in or added later.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PoopinClumpin posted:

In the story fluff doesn't the cock like "eat" the Nvidium and the Paranids were stealing it from them, thus starting the whole war? Maybe there's a way to sell it to the Cock

In case someone hasn't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKQcta_lNc

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bought it on the sale and been mucking about with it. Stations are gorgeous and it’s definitely got the classic X feel, but holy poo poo the UI is a hot garbage fire I just can’t deal with it.

There are so many clicks required to do basic functions and it looks terrible, it’s a mess.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

but holy poo poo the UI is a hot garbage fire I just can’t deal with it.

There are so many clicks required to do basic functions and it looks terrible, it’s a mess.

And the UI is still a significant upgrade from previous games in a whole lot of ways

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

And the UI is still a significant upgrade from previous games in a whole lot of ways

My favourite was how X3’s load and save dialogs looked exactly the same, and mousing over the button would switch you from one to the other with no visual cue...

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Don't just sit back and accept the Khaak. Get involved hands-on and manage the big Khaak intrusions!

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Ugh tried to play some more X4 over the weekend and got constant Vulkan driver crashes. I have no idea what's going on, last time I played properly it was fine. None of the tips on the crash page I got directed to have really helped either.

I just wanna make my own ship-building empire and take over the galaxy is that so much to ask?

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
Ive been playing X4 to kill time until Div2. The game still lacks content. Yes, running your own pseudo simulation is fine but there is nothing to do! During first 5 hours you are strapped for cash, but once you get your mining and trading operations running, then what? Get more money? Xenon and Khaak are not really threats. If you dont go to war immediately then there is no resource sink. I am sad, I have 3-4 battlegroups and absolutely nothing to do with them.
Wish Litcube would put the challenge back into X4. His X3 mods were the dogs bollocks.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

madfury posted:

Ive been playing X4 to kill time until Div2. The game still lacks content. Yes, running your own pseudo simulation is fine but there is nothing to do! During first 5 hours you are strapped for cash, but once you get your mining and trading operations running, then what? Get more money? Xenon and Khaak are not really threats. If you dont go to war immediately then there is no resource sink. I am sad, I have 3-4 battlegroups and absolutely nothing to do with them.
Wish Litcube would put the challenge back into X4. His X3 mods were the dogs bollocks.

Yeah unfortunately this is where I am right now too. The plots is the previous games weren't stellar but they at least gave you some direction. Build a ridiculous fleet to fight the khaak or build a ludicrous supply chain to rebuild the hub.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think they just need to add populations to stations that have various goods upkeep requirements. That’ll give you constant drains on various consumer goods.

As for stuff to do. It’d be great if the game had various sectors just teeming with hostiles and there’s a faction campaign to clear it out and claim the resources there. Even better if the starting layout of your game has a lack of these resources and you need those sectors to shore up the economy in the long term.

Edit: in fact, something I’d like from the X series is a dead galaxy start. You wake up in a broken down ship and there’s nothing in the galaxy besides ruins. You scout around, repair and salvage whatever derelicts you can find and kickstart various factions back online through quests. That would be aces.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Demiurge4 posted:

I think they just need to add populations to stations that have various goods upkeep requirements. That’ll give you constant drains on various consumer goods.

As for stuff to do. It’d be great if the game had various sectors just teeming with hostiles and there’s a faction campaign to clear it out and claim the resources there. Even better if the starting layout of your game has a lack of these resources and you need those sectors to shore up the economy in the long term.

Edit: in fact, something I’d like from the X series is a dead galaxy start. You wake up in a broken down ship and there’s nothing in the galaxy besides ruins. You scout around, repair and salvage whatever derelicts you can find and kickstart various factions back online through quests. That would be aces.

On the Starship Discoverer M5 ... Hope lives again.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
There is mod that straight up removes items from the economy over time. Seems to work okay to keep things moving.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I think it's been a while but I don't recall those sorts of problems in x3, but it has been a while since I played it, saw this came out and it brought out some serious nastalgia, but it seems like it might be a better idea to wait for some more fixes to come out?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Consumption in the economy is driven by war in this, it's all fully simulated, so if nobody wars and loses ships and needs them replacing, the universe just fills up with wares.

They made the AI a lot more aggressive in the last patch so they're definitely working on it, and the actually simulated economy produces some really cool effects you never saw in X3, but there is work to be done, yes. Personally my suggestion is still see what the split expansion brings in terms of conflict and new sectors because those would help a lot, as it does feel a bit content light even if the underlying systems are a lot cooler. It also would benefit from more control over your ships. They work on aggregate now, but they aren't very bright, and you can't micro them to the degree you can in X3.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I have no idea how to tell my ships to form on my wing and then fight with me when enemies are nearby. I have tried all the settings. It feels like I need to set them to patrol in an area to actually get them to fight reasonably.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What happens if you tell them to defend you?

Or alternatively, comm them and tell them to join your squad?

Or set their default behaviour to follow your ship?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Rakeris posted:

I think it's been a while but I don't recall those sorts of problems in x3, but it has been a while since I played it, saw this came out and it brought out some serious nastalgia, but it seems like it might be a better idea to wait for some more fixes to come out?

X3 had an economy sink in the form of secondary wares. They weren't necessary for production, but when available, were consumed.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Secondary wares kind of exist in some ways for X4 as well : drugs food and medicine for the different races, also, the junk for ship modding and missions like herbicide and so on, plus, people are making tools to create wares.
Unlike Rebirth, X4 is waiting for some badly needed dlc to be released to fill it out some more, the Rebirth dlc added more sectors and some unique stations, (FE; a design reused as the teladi trade hubs in X4), Rebirth as a package was broken however pretty much feature complete.

Whats maybe important to note is when Rebirth, with its single playable ship, was released, most of the old school modders played it a bit, but turned around and left, X4 has a lot of people coming back.
I asked Cadius if they minded if their models were used in X4, they said sure, they were enjoying the game and a bit too busy to make models for it, since then, they have posted in the X4 modding forum, with a project they are working on, A battleship a bit bigger than the colossus.

As for myself, I'm not going to lie, I am terribad at blender, but I'm slowly working on it, I was terrible at ZBrush as well, then I studied how to use it and made some mods a while back. (I open it now and I have forgotten wtf I am doing, but again, sitting around with some tutorials will remind me.)
If you are sitting on the fence and asking if X4 is worth getting, I'd say not quite yet, If I have to be totally honest, however, its the sucessor to X3:AP we were waiting for, If you liked what eventually became X3:AP you will know that it got to that point by improving the UI and including some of the more QOL based mods.
The present patch 2.00 has working shipbuilding finally, although, as usual, ego have decided to shoot themselves in the foot and put it behind the faction grind; you cannot scan for the shipyard blueprints unless your game is modded. although, as there is apparently a Pirate start in the works, I am not sure if that's set in stone. using the Devstarts allows you to scan down blueprints for everything, including wharfs, L & XL shipyards and their Equipment Dock counterparts.
There are still some flaws in the base game that mods can take care of : mined up all that Nividium and filled a stations storage with it? causing it to fail as it cannot fit anything else? mod got your back.
The same mod does this with all station storage, there is a constant demand for stuff, so your trader should not just grind to a halt as they cannot sell their junk anywhere.
So when you do manage to build your ship building megaplex, all the races will take advantage of it and build their ships there too, the more blueprints you buy, the more ships you can build, thus, the more ships get built, if you are mining all the raw materials yourself, its soon profit you can flip for more blueprints.
What do you do when you run out of blueprints to buy?
There are a bunch of xenon sectors. they can be taken over.
Unfortunately, xenon ships cannot be boarded, yet. there is no place to put a pilot. however, there are plenty of cabins and cockpits that people are learning to copy and use to scratchbuild ships with. so, its just a matter of time until the Xenon become flyable, when my project is underway, I'm hoping to include the cock as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

X4 is definitely a better X base than Rebirth and I'd probably argue a better base for a really spectacular X game than X3 was. The problem is X3 as it exists now has mountains of content that wasn't in the initial release. If X4 expands the same way I think it'll be better, and if it has half the mod development it'll be better still.

Just the underlying systems are great in X4, the problem really is just that there's not enough space or variety of content using those systems. The war system would be incredible if there were a big expanse of space for it to happen in. Factions can colonise and develop areas but there's nowhere for them to actually expand into in the base game.

More than anything I want a big ol' pile of empty space. The game would absolutely be able to let factions expand into it themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone's working on a mod that adds more weapons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDwgBp7Wl4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTjjFXCEr0

And someone else is working on moving the Rebirth fire effects over:

Really not sure why they didn't keep that for X4 anyway tbh.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 23, 2019

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Holy crap how could they not include that effect? That looks really cool.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

X4 is definitely a better X base than Rebirth and I'd probably argue a better base for a really spectacular X game than X3 was. The problem is X3 as it exists now has mountains of content that wasn't in the initial release. If X4 expands the same way I think it'll be better, and if it has half the mod development it'll be better still.

Just the underlying systems are great in X4, the problem really is just that there's not enough space or variety of content using those systems. The war system would be incredible if there were a big expanse of space for it to happen in. Factions can colonise and develop areas but there's nowhere for them to actually expand into in the base game.

More than anything I want a big ol' pile of empty space. The game would absolutely be able to let factions expand into it themselves.

Come and hang out on the mod discord, https://discord.gg/PnXSUE someone is making an expanded map, with basically free space for the factions to beat each other up in and expand into, without the core sectors getting much friction (Discord invite dies in a day)

staberind fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 30, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw that on the forums, I might try it though I was given to understand it's all the same sector duplicated over and over, so possibly when it's a bit more fleshed out.

The gun mod also came out recently: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=415713

It's quite good though could do with a bit more refinement.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

quote:

Version: 2.50 Beta 1 (343159)
New Feature: Resupply ships are now available and carriers can also resupply their fighters.
New Feature: Sector blacklist settings to prevent ships entering certain areas.
New Feature: Inventory management with lockboxes in space and inventory storage at player HQ.
New Feature: Tobii eye-tracking support (Windows-only in this build, Linux support to come).
Added images and background information relating to star systems and planets in encyclopedia.
Added logbook entries for NPC ships being built, restocked or repaired at player shipyards.
Added note/hint while mouse direct steering mode is active.
Added more variations for Build Station, Rescue Ship and Scan missions.
Added new global orders section in player information menu.
Added options for ware transfer and trade with build storage to docked menu.
Added inventory information to player-owned ships.
Added categories to object list and property owned in the map.
Added options to sort the object list and property owned menus by name, size or hull.
Added warning in trade menu if a ship cannot transport a ware.
Added possibility to cancel builder ship assignments before ship deploys at station.
Added current build progress information to the module type summary lines of station entries in the map.
Added option to configure autosave interval (and prevented autosave immediately after a manual save).
Added information about hacked research module to research menu.
Added information about hacked production modules to info menu and Logical Station Overview.
Added ability to configure Logical Station Overview graph data for each station individually.
Added wreck filter option to map.
Added interior sounds to rooms, shops and ship bridges.
Added mining and resupply tutorials.
Improved selection of multiple wares for behaviours and map filters.
Improved out-of-sector firepower calculations.
Improved resource preview in the ship build/upgrade menu.
Improved satellite deployment tutorial.
Improved performance of loading and saving.
Improved interface for dropping player inventory.
Improved map object list performance when looking at many player stations.
Improved faction behaviour when dealing with ware shortages.
Improved ship formation behaviour when flying in travel mode.
Improved controller support for initial ship type selection in ship build menu.
Improved ship docking and undocking movement in certain cases.
Improved behavior of free-flying police.
Improved defence drone handling by capital ships in combat.
Improved mission reward text for paint mods.
Improved updating of wares to be traded or harvested by station-based trading ships and mining ships.
Improved Logical Station Overview graph data selection.
Improved AI station generation logic to make selection of large habitation modules more likely where appropriate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hah, just came to post that. Tempted to load up the beta and have a look at the resupply ships and how carriers work. Supposedly they work a bit like mobile equipment docks, things will trade with them etc, often unsuccessfully because it's hard to dock at a moving ship at the moment :v:

E: So the supply ships seem unfinished somewhat unsurprisingly, not sure if they can fully refit ships or just replenish their consumables. They look quite nice though, like bigger carriers kinda.

But I really like the look of this standing order panel:

You can assign ships to specific blacklists, so presumably you can set up a trader or station just to trade with one faction or in certain sectors, or to perform sector activities such as mining in specific places.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 12, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

thank god, i was actually worried they were going to stupidly obsolete carriers with teh resupply ships

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Supply ships are much less well armed than carriers, and I don't think they have the fast launch tubes either.

Still not honestly sure what the point of the supply ships is though. Unless the split expansion is gonna add a huge amount of empty space.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Anyone run into trouble handing the big Khaak? In my game I'm overrun buy huge Khaak everywhere except the system with the player HQ.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

PoopinClumpin posted:

Anyone run into trouble handing the big Khaak? In my game I'm overrun buy huge Khaak everywhere except the system with the player HQ.

Strange, most people like huge khaak the best

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I didn't notice an update in the OP, but did foundations end up cool or whack?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still waiting, sadly. They're finishing up the 2.5 update which is gonna include some new supply ships that function like mobile equipment docks, which is nice, but the real make or break is still what/how much new space and stuff they add with the expansions.

Supposedly that should be after 3.0 or so, I think. I'm still keeping tabs on it because it is a fun game but it really needs more stuff to reach its potential. Just slow going.

I had good fun with it for.. apparently 200 hours thus far so I'd call it good but most people seem to want like 1000 hours out of their X games so I don't know whether that's gonna be your cup of tea?

They have steadily made it work a bit better over the past few months which is good so if that's what put you off it initially then you might enjoy it more now. The core gameplay is still the same though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I have full faith this will be an awesome timeless game in 5 years.