Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Grapplejack posted:

No go nuts. I don't think he has any tutorials outside of miriki and the starter ones tbh so you aren't going to lose anything.

Like, the game could use a few extra tutorials on grabs imo

He does have more tutorials if you actually complete the basic "how 2 atack" and "how 2 deflect and git gud" ones. :ssh:

There's one on sweep attacks and jump counters, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Jan posted:

He does have more tutorials if you actually complete the basic "how 2 atack" and "how 2 deflect and git gud" ones. :ssh:

There's one on sweep attacks and jump counters, IIRC.

There's also a 'free combat' option where you can go hogwild.

Anyway, just made it to Sempou temple (because I couldn't beat Genichiro Ashina) and the building warned me that it was a dangerous area. Like, the literal building. That can't be a good sign right?
Is it too early in game for me to be there?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Nah you'll be fine, it's a bit of story flavor. You'll eventually talk to the voice later on.

I'd compare it to the entrance to Old Yharnam

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nah, you can tool around there if you want. you can't fight the boss at the end until after you finish ashina castle though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Oh motherfucker, (Ashina Castle after Mibu Village) Owl you death-faking son of a bitch :argh:

This fight is really hard... two hits and I'm dead? wahhhh

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ok cool. I also found (item description) some sort of cyanide? The description said: take this and you die. What's up with that? I'm curious in which situation I'd want to use that. Can someone give me a vague answer?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Necrothatcher posted:

This fight is really hard... two hits and I'm dead? wahhhh

On the other hand, this is the fight that confirmed that the combat had finally clicked for me and I "got gud" (for NG). He has some fairly predictable attack patterns, and you can go on indefinitely with proper deflecting. Hell, for my winning run, after whittling his health down enough, I let him hit me with the Lloyd talisman-style anti-heal, because that makes him attack more aggressively and get posture to break faster.

FWIW, careful use of Shadowrush sped up the process a lot. Get 2-3 of them in and his health will be low enough to get his posture red and then go to town. It's the first time using a Combat Art on a boss actually helped rather than hasten my untimely demise.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

shut up blegum posted:

Ok cool. I also found (item description) some sort of cyanide? The description said: take this and you die. What's up with that? I'm curious in which situation I'd want to use that. Can someone give me a vague answer?

There isn't really any obvious one outside of using a death to de-aggro normal enemies so you can get a back stab sometimes. It doesn't put a black strike through your resurrections either so I guess there might be an edge case use for using one if you're about to die to a boss and want another res in the same phase?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

shut up blegum posted:

If you use that and then resurrect it doesn't put your other resurrection on cooldown. Resurrecting also puts you at half health so it could be a last-ditch effort to heal if you've run out of gourds but haven't died yet.

It's an extremely niche use case but it does exist I suppose?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Anyone got any tips for the Corrupted Monk illusion fight? I keep coming so close and failing just at the end, anything I can do to soften 'em up?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

shut up blegum posted:

so you die, and you use a resurrection getting back up, but it doesn't put the black strikethrough cooldown on your resurrection so you can immediately burn another one if you eat poo poo. in theory, you can use it to drop all aggro'd targets and discreetly resurrect at will, or even use it to eat poo poo during a boss where you know you're about to die and resurrect, but in practice it's kind of useless. more than anything i get the feeling it's something they put in while they were still tinkering around with the resurrection mechanics and as they got fine tuned and changed around it kind of just lost its purpose.

gently caress: beaten; edit

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Southpaugh posted:

Anyone got any tips for the Corrupted Monk illusion fight? I keep coming so close and failing just at the end, anything I can do to soften 'em up?
Got extra snap seeds? They take off a chunk of his health instantly if you're nearby.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Southpaugh posted:

Snap dem seeds.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Southpaugh posted:

Ash clumps seemed to work quite well.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

Is this the second fight at fountainhead palace? If so then I didn't use snap seeds at all in this fight I just turtled around with the umbrella :v:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Well then. Sword monkeys were an interesting creative decision.

Dunno if the spoiler text is necessary at all, but figured I'd rather play it safe

Edit: oh man, guns too. and they have better aim than the early gun mooks.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 12, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jan posted:

On the other hand, this is the fight that confirmed that the combat had finally clicked for me and I "got gud" (for NG). He has some fairly predictable attack patterns, and you can go on indefinitely with proper deflecting. Hell, for my winning run, after whittling his health down enough, I let him hit me with the Lloyd talisman-style anti-heal, because that makes him attack more aggressively and get posture to break faster.

FWIW, careful use of Shadowrush sped up the process a lot. Get 2-3 of them in and his health will be low enough to get his posture red and then go to town. It's the first time using a Combat Art on a boss actually helped rather than hasten my untimely demise.

Thanks for the tip. This game is so crazy in how it burns patterns into your mind until you're parrying just through muscle memory. I fought Owl maybe 30 times and most times took a stomping. The final time it all just clicked and I only had to use one gourd gulp. It suddenly felt like I was dictating the flow of the fight, can't think of many other games like this.

Seriously, does this have the best sword combat in a videogame to date? I think it might.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Snap seeds, hit em, repeat 2x, while deflecting her attacks that are real low, she’ll do these sweeps at least once or so even while you’re spamming snap seeds and then she’ll jump back, try to use a combat art or latent skill to dash over there and do the same except with Firecrackers until she’s dead. It’s easy, and snap seeds have a 3 use limit btw, and firecrackers take a bit longer maybe but are just as effective.

drat, should I get Shadowrush, High Monk or Empowered Mortal Blade? Can meaning towards shadowrush for the rushing attack, I waste lots of spirit emblems using shuriken + R1, but I don’t know if anything else is worth it.. the last regular skill I can unlock is ‘most virtuous deed’, and of course, most of the special move combos, and moves themselves. I really like mortal Blade but I never really know if Ashina Cross does much, but I just fought Ministry mooks for like an hour to restock on emblems, so I don’t wanna waste these SP.

Edit: I was also thinking that.. but I don’t have much experience with ‘sword combat’ in video games, as I never played like DMC, or action games like that. But drat, it’s such an improvement, I’d much rather have a fight last like 20 seconds with the possibility of basically getting basically killed in one combo or hit etc, than chip away at dudes with a huge sword for literally minutes, then roll to safety and repeat. Going back to that feels so sluggish and honestly a bit stupid looking when I played it after Sekiro, and I’m glad they not only made an incredible sword combat system that’s also their best combat yet. And like I said, on top of that, there’s always the chance that the fight could end in seconds, which keeps even basic Hirata enemies still a challenge sometimes in the end game. The posture bar going up and the health bar going down is so simple on paper, but adds an insane amount of depth. I hope there’s a DLC of course, but I’d love a sort of spinoff like Bloodborne was to DS, with this sword combat at least. I feel like they will, but instead of a prosthetic you have something else.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 12, 2019

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I cheated and put a 100x multiplier on XP gain and fought some ministry dudes to unlock the last few skills for the achievement before i ended my game with the shura ending. 70k+ exp PER skill point when you need 9 of them is just absurd.

The shura ending bosses made me yell a lot. Mostly at myself. gently caress the grab though, i just can't not get hit by it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Endings Question:

If I'm doing Return does it lock me out of the return to Hirata from Purification? Or can I still follow that up and just have different options to give the kid at the end?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Shadowrush uses emblems too so it won't help much with that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

^burtle posted:

Endings Question:

If I'm doing Return does it lock me out of the return to Hirata from Purification? Or can I still follow that up and just have different options to give the kid at the end?

The latter, only the bad end Shura locks you out of stuff. Killing the Fountainhead Palace boss is also the point of no return for a few things. (Though I haven’t checked to see if it’s the point of no Return. :v: )

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Woozy posted:

Well yeah, but it’s an actual attack, idk, I was hoping it would maybe cover as much area while dealing more damage, or just being a fun alternative to Ichimonji Double and Mortal Blade..and then someone else was saying that High Monk was good, so I’m torn.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Woozy posted:

The leap uses emblems, the charge itself does not. Granted, you can't choose not to leap if you have emblems, but you can still use the most important distance closing element if you're out.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I unlocked the cure for dragon rot, should I use it immediately or wait until a certain moment in the story?

And on an unrelated note, the music and the monks really give a creepy vibe to the Sempou temple area.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

shut up blegum posted:

I unlocked the cure for dragon rot, should I use it immediately or wait until a certain moment in the story?

And on an unrelated note, the music and the monks really give a creepy vibe to the Sempou temple area.

Only use it if you want to hear what a NPC wants to say.

It can be hard to talk while coughing blood

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

WaltherFeng posted:

Only use it if you want to hear what a NPC wants to say.

It can be hard to talk while coughing blood

Are you talking about the old woman near Sempou temple? She was coughing and saying something like 'I don't know'

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

Are you talking about the old woman near Sempou temple? She was coughing and saying something like 'I don't know'

Talking about all NPCs. While sick they won't talk with you and you can't progress their quests.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

shut up blegum posted:

No reason to cure it until you're past whatever your current boss/roadblock is. I'm very close to the end of the game and have a fuckton of the required item so there's no worry about wasting them or anything, but it's also pointless to cure dragonrot and then immediately die 50 times.

edit: Some NPC somewhere is like "oh thank god I feel better" and then five minutes later "aw gently caress me *cough*"

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 12, 2019

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

shut up blegum posted:

The game expects you to use the first one right away because you get an immediate reward for doing it. The cures are technically limited but not rare.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna try to own tutorial G-Man on NG now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

HenryEx posted:

I'm gonna try to own tutorial G-Man on NG now.

I'm still legitimately upset that killing him in the tutorial doesn't give you a non-canon ending the first time you do it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If I'm farming for Divine Confetti is it definitely worth it to ring the Demon Bell first? Without it I'm getting maybe 1 confetti every other time I do the Ashina Castle Antechamber run with all the blue samurai.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The dialog with Isshin when you give him some Dragonspring Sake is a nice humanizing character moment :unsmith:

He talks about the times when he managed to obtain some Dragonspring where Owl would be completely unable to hold his liquor, Butterfly (implied) would steal it using illusion techniques and there was probably a bit in there about the Sculptor as well, and he sounds pissed off the whole time he's telling the story but then raises a toast to all of them at the end

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If I'm farming for Divine Confetti is it definitely worth it to ring the Demon Bell first? Without it I'm getting maybe 1 confetti every other time I do the Ashina Castle Antechamber run with all the blue samurai.

There's really no reason to farm it since once you hit endgame merchants have infinite supplies.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

i can confirm only that the demon bell quite noticeably and powerfully increases the drop rate (and perhaps tier) of upgrade materials specifically, i do not know whether or not the drop rate of non-upgrade materials is affected.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i can confirm only that the demon bell quite noticeably and powerfully increases the drop rate (and perhaps tier) of upgrade materials specifically, i do not know whether or not the drop rate of non-upgrade materials is affected.

i'm pleased to report i just followed this up with checking the wiki and currently it basically has this written down nearly verbatim

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

There's really no reason to farm it since once you hit endgame merchants have infinite supplies.

I'm stuck at Corrupted Monk and I really don't feel like going back there without 5-10 confettis. Apparently I can't by confetti until I beat him.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Anecdotal evidence, but I didn't feel like I got any more confetti from doing a few runs with the bell than without. It's still slow as balls so I'm just being careful about using them until I hit endgame. I bashed my head on a Headless without confetti until I could deflect it to 50% posture and decided I was ready to blow two confetti at that point.

e: ^^^^^^^^
Confetti doesn't do anything against corrupted monk? :confuoot:

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sapozhnik posted:

The dialog with Isshin when you give him some Dragonspring Sake is a nice humanizing character moment :unsmith:

He talks about the times when he managed to obtain some Dragonspring where Owl would be completely unable to hold his liquor, Butterfly (implied) would steal it using illusion techniques and there was probably a bit in there about the Sculptor as well, and he sounds pissed off the whole time he's telling the story but then raises a toast to all of them at the end

Isshin is pretty great.

Sekiro: Isshin would make a pretty good DLC like the ones in Metal Gear Rising.