Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

If I had to choose one subgenre to see more of it's always going to be creature features. There's always a few being made here and there but it's never enough, I always want more. And I don't care about CGI vs. practical nearly as much as I care about the results. A well done creature is a well done creature.
:yeah:

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely a specific itch that modern movies don't scratch. When I feel like watching a Harryhausen I have to actually watch something Harryhausen made, he really had no successor. That happened to me on Saturday, I watched The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.
Laika is the closest thing I can think of and some of their movies have some horror-lite aspects. Phil Tippett is still soldiering on doing that weird Mad God thing.

But yeah, while there still are a few stop motion films here and there (can’t ignore Wes Anderson either), they don’t really have that Harryhausen feel to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

david_a posted:

Laika is the closest thing I can think of and some of their movies have some horror-lite aspects. Phil Tippett is still soldiering on doing that weird Mad God thing.
Yeah, Laika is super-weird, they do CGI designed to look like stop-motion. ParaNorman is legitimately good and pretty spooky as far as kid's movies go. I'm excited to see what they come out with next.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
1933:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR7JlmbTwv8

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Easy Diff posted:

Yeah, Laika is super-weird, they do CGI designed to look like stop-motion. ParaNorman is legitimately good and pretty spooky as far as kid's movies go. I'm excited to see what they come out with next.

Other way around, they use stop motion puppets designed to look like CGI.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

deety posted:

I want some animal attack movies, maybe kicked off by a Cujo remake that keeps the original book ending.

Oh hell yes, same. Last one I saw was 2014's Backcountry, which is fine but doesn't really scratch the itch completely.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DrNutt posted:

:aaaaa:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I kept getting caught up in how Q had such beautiful fluid stop motion

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I know, right? I only know this because I stayed a weekend in Portland years back with someone who had a roommate who worked for Laika and he had some puppets from old projects. It was really really cool.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Easy Diff posted:

A Cure for Wellness was a fascinating arch-gothic thriller that approximately nobody saw but I liked a lot. When it was over, I couldn't help thinking "that was a great movie, but also I can see exactly why it made no money"

It might be the only Dane DeHaan performance that I've ever liked, outside of Chronicle. I thought the whole thing was really well done and the longer I watched it, the more I believed this was Gore Verbinski making his version of 70's Italian horror.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I was pleasantly surprised at how gross A Cure For Wellness was. It’s pretty great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stryder posted:

It might be the only Dane DeHaan performance that I've ever liked, outside of Chronicle. I thought the whole thing was really well done and the longer I watched it, the more I believed this was Gore Verbinski making his version of 70's Italian horror.

It's one of those right actor for the right role situations. DeHaan has this droll, almost robotic acting style but in a Cure For Wellness that fits his character perfectly.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm really surprised no one has gone into a full on giallo style horror film. Not a 80's style slasher but black glove, brutal as hell kills italian style giallo film.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm really surprised no one has gone into a full on giallo style horror film. Not a 80's style slasher but black glove, brutal as hell kills italian style giallo film.

Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani have been making modern gialli. Amer has the black gloves I think, too. I haven't seen The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears yet but it's on my list.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani have been making modern gialli. Amer has the black gloves I think, too. I haven't seen The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears yet but it's on my list.

Yea but I think it's fair to say they really haven't broken through yet though. It'd be great if someone made a more accessible giallo-style horror film that became a big success and led to a more widespread giallo resurgence.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DrNutt posted:

Actually it's a mix of both, most of what LAIKA does is with stop motion miniatures but there's a lot of CGI in there (effects and such), for instance, I went to a LAIKA exhibit and they had a lot of their models on display and they're loving incredible, but what they do is 3D print faces that they can swap out quickly if they need to. So they have a TON of faces on the side to work with, the problem with this is it leaves a seam where the face and head connect so they go in with computers and digitally remove it.

It's really great, I love their work.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's always The Editor and (some of) Peter Strickland's work, I guess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Knife+Heart is a neo-giallo you all need to see

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cold Hell on Shudder feels like it definitely has giallo roots. Especially the initial scene where the main character encounters the killer.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Would Neon Demon count as a neo-giallo?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Would Neon Demon count as a neo-giallo?

Probably depends on if you're someone who considers Suspiria to be giallo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Knife+Heart is a neo-giallo you all need to see

gently caress, I want to so bad. Where the hell can I see it??

Not giallo but Lifechanger comes to Netflix on the 16th and you should all watch it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Probably depends on if you're someone who considers Suspiria to be giallo.

I thought the reason why Suspiria doesn’t count for some people is because it had witches.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

I thought the reason why Suspiria doesn’t count for some people is because it had witches.

I didn't think it was a common opinion that Suspiria is a giallo, other than the visuals and music it doesn't really have much in common with the genre. A giallo is essentially a crime/murder mystery thriller.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's the next big thing for horror?

Revivals of 70s/80s/90s franchises. Everyone is going to be chasing that Halloween money. I think in the next 5 years you'll see new, theatrically released:

- Candyman (obviously)
- Child's Play (obviously)
- Friday the 13th
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- Texas Chain Saw (again, somehow)

I'll throw a curveball in there and say someone will do a new Scream too. Some of these will be reboots, others continuations like what Halloween did.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
We've got a new version of The Grudge coming out in January. The ride never ends.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I want a new "know what did last summer" just to see how they handle the naming convention

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Easy Diff posted:

I want a new "know what did last summer" just to see how they handle the naming convention

I Know What You Did Twenty Summers Ago

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I Know What You Did

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Blast Fantasto posted:

What's the next big thing for horror?

Revivals of 70s/80s/90s franchises. Everyone is going to be chasing that Halloween money. I think in the next 5 years you'll see new, theatrically released:

- Candyman (obviously)
- Child's Play (obviously)
- Friday the 13th
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- Texas Chain Saw (again, somehow)

I'll throw a curveball in there and say someone will do a new Scream too. Some of these will be reboots, others continuations like what Halloween did.

They're remaking Poltergeist again. The last one was 2015.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I Know What You Did

You Know What You Did

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wonder if that was a reaction to the Poltergeist house at Halloween Horror Nights? It was pretty amazing and apparently was fairly packed and well received

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Give me a revival of VR/FutureTech horror. We're due, Black Mirror notwithstanding.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Drunkboxer posted:

You Know What You Did

I Know You Know What I Did

okay I'm done

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I Know You Know What I Did

okay I'm done

Who Knows What You'll Do Next Summer

Ok, got that out of my system

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stink Billyums posted:

nooooo

The last remake was garbo.

I got to see Poltergeist III at a under appreciated horror sequels fest a couple years back (Lang with Child's Play 2, Fly 2, Phantasm 2, and a couple others I don't remember). I forgot how fun that movie is. There's some really awesome practical effects going on in that movie, especially all the stuff they do with the hallway mirrors.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I must reiterate that I am still in possession of knowledge about what you did last summer

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sir...SIR please engage me in a civil debate about what you did last summer.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Last Summer is Locked Room and Only I Know What You Did

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stink Billyums posted:

The 2015 Poltergeist makes me angry.

A few years ago, Walmart had a bunch of horror movies with special covers for cheap. I saw Poltergeist, and was like "poo poo yeah! Poltergeist, I haven't seen that in years!"

I popped that Blu-Ray in, and was greeted with looping PS3 graphics, and assumed it was just someone trying to make a cool menu and failing. Little did I know it was because I bought the loving remake. I watchedd the whole thing because I like Sam Rockwell, but no, not even Sam Rockwell could pull this garbage out of the trash heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You guys aren't going far enough, it would definitely just be: I Know