Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

T-shirts about how whatever job they do is the hardest, made from a template using no less than four fonts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Weaponized Autism posted:

Driving.

It's only going to get worse. Boomers are retiring, now they'll have all this free time to drive around. Stay off the road you old fucks. :argh:

I worked at a place that also housed a doctor's office that was either for old people or just heavily used by them. A large section of the parking lot (which itself was pretty big) was filled with gigantic cars covered in dents and scratches on a daily basis.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Gen X are weak as piss, they all just complained about their office job ennui and turned into a bunch of sad dads with star trek memorabilia

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Kurdt Kobain was the spokesman for their generation lol

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

WaryWarren posted:

Kurdt Kobain was the spokesman for their generation lol

He was showing an entire generation what needed to be done. They were supposed to follow his example.

Gen X are failures on every level.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

LabyaMynora posted:

He was showing an entire generation what needed to be done. They were supposed to follow his example.

Hey not everyone can have a SO with a drug problem and a shotgun, that's asking too much!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

elliott smith is the better gen x suicide, with the elite guitar fingerpicking and chord skills and then stabbing himself in the heart with a big knife

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Purchasing a 2003 Lincoln Town Car for a reasonable sum.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

elliott smith

who?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I know a lot of goons are old gen x fuckers so it’s hard to take this but it’s true gen x sucks rear end. Way to get absorbed into the boomer generation you loving losers

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Having a super vague grasp of the Constitution and US government structure

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Getting real mad at parking lot traffic

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Unlike boomers, it seems like Generation X and Millennials both have defined subgroups. For example the first half of Generation X blends completely with boomers, while the second half were the ones who became adults in the prosperous 90's and were the last generation that could relatively easily make good money without a college degree, and other conveniences. For instance, simply being "good with computers" was enough to land you a stable career. They were also the ones with the whole "oh woe is me, life is so safe and boring and nothing matters" shtick, which you see reflected in a lot of 90's film and television.

Then there's millennials; I, like most of SA I presume, am on the older side of the millennial generation. I might be in the same "generation" as people born in 1999 but the world I grew up in was drastically different than theirs and I don't have a whole lot in common with them.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Ok I will adjust my statement to be the first half of gen x got completely absorbed into the boomers. The rest of you are still on notice.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Working at walmart

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tang

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Giving up a good union teaching job to work at a lovely charter school with worse pay.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Losing thier house in 2008.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Gen x era may be worse than boomers because they saw everything that was wrong with the excess, consumerism, hypocrisy and homogeneity of boomer suburban “culture”

But did nothing to change it and hid behind apathy and a vague notion of being against “selling out”

Not to mention, Office Space is about a white guy with a girlfriend, a comfortable job that offers advancement ( they refer to him as “management material” at one point) this job also affords him a good sized apartment in his mid 20s, and voluntary flushes it down the shitter.

Not a particularly thrilling job, but who expects to be in love with their career 100% of the time. be pragmatic, you loving rear end in a top hat.

shut up netface fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 13, 2019

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

People thing of Boomers as if they were all hippies calling for an end to Vietnam now and doing drugs at the Summer of Love. In reality a TON of them were the same angry nerds that exist today, looking at all the other people their age having fun and having sex and getting more and more angry and reactionary against their own generation.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

shut up netface posted:

Gen x era may be worse than boomers because they saw everything that was wrong with the excess, consumerism, hypocrisy and homogeneity of boomer suburban “culture”

But did nothing to change it and hid behind apathy and a vague notion of being against “selling out”

Not to mention, Office Space is about a white guy with a girlfriend, a comfortable job that offers advancement ( they refer to him as “management material” at one point) this job also affords him a good sized apartment in his mid 20s, and voluntary flushes it down the shitter.

Not a particularly thrilling job, but who expects to be in love with their career 100% of the time. be pragmatic, you loving rear end in a top hat.

I think you need to rewatch the movie

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

shut up netface posted:

The movie ends with him getting a job he actually likes which presumably pays at least as much as his old job because ends up working with the guy in the apartment next to his. So ultimately he is making the right choice.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
A big rear end diesel truck that the old ball and chain keeps putting regular gas into

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Pubic hair

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

A big rear end diesel truck that the old ball and chain keeps putting regular gas into

On a related note, huge trucks covered in ornamental after market mods which have never been used to haul heavy things or touched the tiniest spot of mud.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Caesar Saladin posted:

the sound of a boomer sneezing is enough to shake the foundations of a modern home

I know its a few pages back but thank you for this, I needed that laugh.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Advanced interrogation techniques

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

shut up netface posted:

So much of late 90's gen x media, like Office Space, is about subverting all of that boomer culture, something the generation itself never actually did.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

poisonpill posted:

People thing of Boomers as if they were all hippies calling for an end to Vietnam now and doing drugs at the Summer of Love. In reality a TON of them were the same angry nerds that exist today, looking at all the other people their age having fun and having sex and getting more and more angry and reactionary against their own generation.

Definitely - not all Boomers were hippies, and if you look at old videos of George Wallace rallies, you'll see a lot of people who were in the same age group as the hippies at that time.

CPL593H posted:

The movie ends with him getting a job he actually likes which presumably pays at least as much as his old job because ends up working with the guy in the apartment next to his. So ultimately he is making the right choice.

Meh - glamorizing construction is pretty bullshit. Those guys end up with chronic ailments from doing their work, and a fair number of them can't work anymore by the time they hit 40. Jackhammering specifically is terrible for your knees, back, neck, arms and wrists. If the pay is equal, you'll come out ahead in the long run because you can do office drone work until you're eligible to collect Social Security.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Playing sport that requires a whole square mile of groundskept land

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Golf
Bocce Ball
Shuffleboard

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

LabyaMynora posted:

:hmmyes:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Ok. Got a real question? Is there a Gen X anywhere in the senate of the United States?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Ok. Got a real question? Is there a Gen X anywhere in the senate of the United States?

Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz... maybe Tom Cotton?

Tammy Duckworth, Brian Schatz, for the Dems.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 13, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

LabyaMynora posted:

those guys are Gen X?
Those guys suck

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I sure do love how my plume of grey chest hair erupts out of the top of my IN and OUT t shirt.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

shut up netface posted:

:goofy: all time bad movie post. The problem is everyone else was pragmatic. They kept doing their lovely jobs for decent pay until the decent pay part dried up for everyone behind them, leading us to where we are today.

LabyaMynora posted:

Tammy Duckworth, Brian Schatz, for the Dems.

Lol gen x you guys really hosed it up.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Comrayn posted:

:goofy: all time bad movie post. The problem is everyone else was pragmatic. They kept doing their lovely jobs for decent pay until the decent pay part dried up for everyone behind them, leading us to where we are today.

Lol gen x you guys really hosed it up.

lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

Meh - glamorizing construction is pretty bullshit. Those guys end up with chronic ailments from doing their work, and a fair number of them can't work anymore by the time they hit 40. Jackhammering specifically is terrible for your knees, back, neck, arms and wrists. If the pay is equal, you'll come out ahead in the long run because you can do office drone work until you're eligible to collect Social Security.

Yeah it's not perfect, but the point is he actually does something to change his lovely situation. It's better at least in the short term, everybody else gets hosed over except for the people who just end up at an identical company which will probably end up with the same management after the ones running Initech were displaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Please don't turn this into yet another politics thread.