Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kaedric posted:

EDIT: I didn't care for the forced Dolly Parton thing

Kaedric posted:

Woah bad opinion zone

Dolly owns and the song was perfect for the situation. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tom Guycot posted:

Either a separation, or Klyden will start facing the fact that he has some serious baggage with having been born female that he's ashamed of and overcompensating for. Maybe It'll turn out he wishes he hadn't been changed or something that he's been burying deep down.

Don't forget Moclan divorce is murdering the other spouse. I somehow don't think Klyden would accept a written divorce and would insist Bortus kill him. I don't think Bortus could bring him self to murder.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Dolly Parton Nebula Attack is the name of my prog rock band

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

precision posted:

I wasn't expecting Dolly but it's the most Seth MacFarlane thing the show has done yet, but I mean that in a good way

I ended up listening to 9-5 multiple times today. Dolly is good.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Dolly turned that episode from an "ok" to a "fuckin fabulous"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dolly was the absolute perfect choice

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

OB_Juan posted:

I keep forgetting that Gordon is a Very Good Pilot.

I feel like this was a direct callback to "dumbing it down, sir" from the hetero moclan episode.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mage_Boy posted:

Wait a minite... are we getting an Orville Q?

If they introduce Q-likes, god, I hope they get Bruce Campbell at some point

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Kaedric posted:

I think as TV viewers we are used to this sort of thing blowing up in awful ways, but in the real world that is literally what any loving parent would do who is trying to raise their child to be open minded.

They could have had the two Moclan parents flip out and be like dude wtf are you doing, hell no we aren't letting that kid in here, but they knew the purpose as well. It was a cool and also good scene.

Another layer to this that you forgot to mention was that Topa himself doesn't know that he was actually born a female, and all of the adults involved in that scene (Bortus and the two Moclan guys) all knew that Topa was born a female because of the episode with the trial and that he isn't aware of it... so that's another reason why it was important to help convince Topa that females aren't inherently worse than males. Because he might find out about it when he grows up and then that could lead to a much bigger psychological problem. Like an identity crisis or something.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Accretionist posted:

in a just world he would have been harry mudd

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

I don't think Bortus could bring him self to murder.

I think you've missed the exploits of the Kelly & Bortus Murder Squad

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PostNouveau posted:

What can you expect from a couple Gilliacs?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

WampaLord posted:

Dolly owns and the song was perfect for the situation. :colbert:

Dolly is great, but a song about not getting a promotion and working a poo poo job couldn't be further from essentially genocide.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kaedric posted:

Dolly is great, but a song about not getting a promotion and working a poo poo job couldn't be further from essentially genocide.

Woooooosh

edit: Can't believe I'm doing this, but 9 to 5 is not just the anthem of the working class, it has obvious anti-patriarchy sentiment laced throughout, like why do you think she picked the words "boss man" and there's the entire context of the movie the song comes from, which you're deliberately ignoring, just to make the most pedantic possible reading and go "no, it wasn't the right song choice" like a goon.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 13, 2019

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Kaedric posted:

It's appreciated on a metaphorical level; the Moclan colony appears to be something of an egalitarian utopia, so working-class strife is novel and alien to them. Dolly just sings about it with such clear and female passion that it appeals perfectly for their cause

Davros1 posted:

Kylden's self hating because he was born female?

I loved Gordon's "party bus" story. "No, they caught when we crashed into a tree."

I don't think it's as simple as self-hatred. Both Bortus and Klyden talk this episode about reckoning with the sheer diverse vastness of galactic society, and their worldviews reflect their reactions. Bortus is becoming more progressive and understanding, realizing the smallness of Moclan culture in the face of how massive their universe has become. But it's this same realization which drives Klyden deeper into ritual and tradition - in a galaxy of infinite peoples, it becomes all that much more important to hold onto what makes and made Moclus and Moclans what they are, today. This includes Klyden: to cast judgment on his peoples' ways is to reject the laws and mores which justify and contextualize his very existence as a man. It's likely this is rooted in trauma of which he's unaware, just as he's equally unaware of how he's setting his child up for the exact same thing

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Kaedric posted:

EDIT: I didn't care for the forced Dolly Parton thing, because it didn't (in my opinion) really match up to the gravitas (or even subject) of what the Moclan females were fighting for. It just felt like a weird non-sequitur joke thing. There's probably some other great female singers they could have pulled from where the song subject had anything to do with what was going on.

I felt the same way on the shuttle but honestly her reading in the trial was really loving powerful.

Personally I was hoping he'd switch to a Janis Joplin or Grace Slick song after Dolly Parton just because I love them but by the end I wasn't at all mad about it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

Did they murder or stun this episode? I felt like they were stunning.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yeah pretty sure everyone was set to stun for that one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

tin can made man posted:

It's appreciated on a metaphorical level; the Moclan colony appears to be something of an egalitarian utopia, so working-class strife is novel and alien to them. Dolly just sings about it with such clear and female passion that it appeals perfectly for their cause

There's even the break down the lyrics messages which would be inspiring to the Moclan women. Just looking at the below stanza, it empathizes with the Moclan women plight of dreaming of the possibility of being able to realize their potential as women, but are held down by the Moclan men's attitude that they shouldn't even exist. It also appeals to their hope that someday they will win and there will be a cultural change that will accept them as they are and allow them that chance to realize their potential.

"They let you dream just to watch 'em shatter
You're just a step on the boss-man's ladder
But you got dreams he'll never take away
You're in the same boat with a lotta your friends
Waitin' for the day your ship'll come in
An' the tide's gonna turn and it's all gonna roll your way"

More I reflect on the episode, I'm really curious as to what happened on Moclus that set them on this path of 'single sex-men only'.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It started with something they call The Gate of Gaming

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

patriarchal society->hide women from public view->hide women from view->"hey guys, found a way to procreate without nasty womens"->"we can "fix" women"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Beachcomber posted:

It started with something they call The Gate of Gaming

Gordon imports a rare Moclan playstation, and learns that they took "dual shock controller" a bit more literally

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

PostNouveau posted:

Okay cold blooded murder. The Men were attacking the Women's planet. They were hostile and if they weren't set to stun could be justified.

Murdering for separation would go again the Union values that Bortus has adopted.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

precision posted:

Gordon imports a rare Moclan playstation, and learns that they took "dual shock controller" a bit more literally

Virtual Latchcomb just got a whole lot more interesting!!!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Accretionist posted:

It'll be some family guy recurring star, like H John Benjamin. Or a digitally reconstructed Conway Twitty.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Azhais posted:

It'll be some family guy recurring star, like H John Benjamin. Or a digitally reconstructed Conway Twitty.

Richard Kind would be a great trickster rear end in a top hat entity

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

More I reflect on the episode, I'm really curious as to what happened on Moclus that set them on this path of 'single sex-men only'.

We know that Moclas is a harsh planet so maybe the males are just better at surviving and since they don't need females to reproduce their society found no reason to try and keep them around.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The entire definition of "male" v "female" are entirely up for grabs here.

Their culture is obviously hypermasculine and so male (gender) but it's not just gender that's at issue on Moclas

These men lay eggs, and having eggs is sort of a biologically defining characteristic of :females: (sex, not gender obviously)

They imply that the men have penises (you've had enough injections already) and they can apparently fertilize each others eggs, so they seem hermaphroditic. They apparently have impressive cloacae to lay the comically oversized egg bortus was sitting on. They also appear to have their species version of testosterone that lowers their voice and they also have generally larger frames etc, what we associate as biologically male sex characteristics.

What the biological distinction is or what the "corrective surgery" they have entails is anyone's guess.

It may be partly a failure of cross-species language (as in Earth concepts of male and female don't really apply). Xenobiology must have tons of novel concepts!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Azhais posted:

I didn't realize how much I want Benjamin on this show until now.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Azhais posted:

It'll be some family guy recurring star, like H John Benjamin.

He’d just do his Master role from Venture Bros. and it would be awesome.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Admiral McGuirk! :pray:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tin can made man posted:

Also, Kelly is on command on the ground and Not Allara (who I like but can't remember her name) is in command of the ship taking on the traditionally male roles kicking rear end.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I love the collection of actors they've managed to get to portray various admirals.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, Kelly is on command on the ground and Not Allara (who I like but can't remember her name) is in command of the ship taking on the traditionally male roles kicking rear end.

Talla is cool.

My biggest concern in regards to Klyden is that we lose Chad Coleman on the show.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 13, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tighclops posted:

Dolly Parton Nebula Attack is the name of my prog rock band

not sure if serious

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I hate to say this, but the Moclans are really turning into Space Assholes. "These are our beliefs and you will respect them, because we have the biggest guns!"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gynovore posted:

I hate to say this, but the Moclans are really turning into Space Assholes. "These are our beliefs and you will respect them, because we have the biggest guns!"

The Moclans are the US in this scenario

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Talla is cool.

By biggest concern in regards to Klyden is that we lose Chad Coleman on the show.

Talla is so much better of a character than I expected her to be. It took the actress a couple episodes but she's great now that she's settled into the role.

As for Klyden, I think they're really pushing for him having some sort of personal trauma that's affecting his judgement, given Bortus' teardown of him this episode.

Man this season has been outstanding. The only weaker episode was the astrology one and even that had a lot of great moments to save it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mokinokaro posted:

Talla is so much better of a character than I expected her to be. It took the actress a couple episodes but she's great now that she's settled into the role.

When she just straight up said "FIRE" immediately without hesitation, I was like "Oh poo poo, we're really doing this...". Cold as ice.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"If she can throw her career away so can I."