Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Something Offal posted:

I had a P0456 on an old previous car of mine (happened to be a Volvo) that my mechanic and I never solved. We threw so much crap and money at it until I gave up.

Please keep us updated, this may be hilarious.

This code was also the last one my GTI threw that I traded it in the next week since I figured it heralded The End of my good luck with it.

I miss it and regret it, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
My mechanic seems to think that one could be a small vacuum leak or a faulty purge valve. Aren’t those relatively minor issues ?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

willroc7 posted:

My mechanic seems to think that one could be a small vacuum leak or a faulty purge valve. Aren’t those relatively minor issues ?

Yes, those are the standard first guesses and first attempts to solve a P0456. But my mechanic replaced virtually every cheaper minor part in that subsystem and the code kept recurring, until the next step was replacing rubber hoses out of the recapture system deep in the car (which was not guaranteed to fix the code). That repair would have cost a significant chunk of the old car's value so I didn't do it. YMMV

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Something Offal posted:

Yes, those are the standard first guesses and first attempts to solve a P0456. But my mechanic replaced virtually every cheaper minor part in that subsystem and the code kept recurring, until the next step was replacing rubber hoses out of the recapture system deep in the car (which was not guaranteed to fix the code). That repair would have cost a significant chunk of the old car's value so I didn't do it. YMMV

VAG.txt

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

And just like that the codes were gone. A spooky specter I pray never returns.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What was your sacrifice to the VW gods?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yesterday I got offered a C5 RS6 for $1000, with 145k miles. Super beat up though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rs6 service starts by removing engine, turbos& transmission. A well-maintained car requires a $10000 repair fund, beat up $20000+. There are reasons it's only $1000.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hell, I'd have done it. I'm insane.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What was your sacrifice to the VW gods?

Drowned a virgin from Ingolstadt in Mobil 1 0w40. You know, the usual.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Rs6 service starts by removing engine, turbos& transmission. A well-maintained car requires a $10000 repair fund, beat up $20000+. There are reasons it's only $1000.
Right, that's why I'm not doing it lol

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Ihmemies posted:

If you have patience and are willing to turn a few wrenches this could be a good investment.

By taking it apart and selling off the pieces.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I need to replace one of the ABS wheel speed sensors on my B5 Passat, is there any way to bench test which one is faulty? Or should I just guess and check by driving it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

The Xkdc Larper posted:

I need to replace one of the ABS wheel speed sensors on my B5 Passat, is there any way to bench test which one is faulty? Or should I just guess and check by driving it.

I'm facing the same issue on B6 platform, I think a more complex code scanner can pick up which sensor it is but considering the cost of the sensors I'm thinking about just replacing them all anyway

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

VCDS can look at ABS sensors. If by any small chance you are near CT I have it.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
I have an '18 GTI, and I'm pretty sure the active lighting isn't working. I see it do the alignment when the car starts, and it's definitely is leveling them vertically. I'm not seeing any horizontal movement during turns, though.
I had a '13 before this car, and loved how much they'd swivel on windy roads.

I have OBDEleven, and have confirmed all the settings appear to be correct.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm admittedly not familiar with the VW system, but on my BMW the adaptive lighting only works when the lights are in full automatic mode. If you manually turn them to "ON" the adaptive system isn't active. Maybe it's something dumb like that?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

inputfailed posted:

I have an '18 GTI, and I'm pretty sure the active lighting isn't working. I see it do the alignment when the car starts, and it's definitely is leveling them vertically. I'm not seeing any horizontal movement during turns, though.

Are they LED?

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005

willroc7 posted:

Are they LED?

They are

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My GF's 2016 TTS seems to have the side mirrors with blind spot indicators, but I haven't found anything in the vehicle options about blind spot monitoring. Is it safe to say this is just a parts bin thing, and the car doesn't have the Side Assist Package, or is there some way to confirm that it does or doesn't?

It seems like with all of the parking sensors, it should also have the blind spot sensors as well?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

inputfailed posted:

If it's anything like my '18 B9 Audi S5, the swiveling feature was removed. My '13 B8.5 S4 had swiveling headlights but Audi removed the feature for the B9 generation.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Yea like the above guy said they may have gotten rid of the swivel function. My 2007 S4 has it and my 2011 A8 does not. Do the LED's on the side get brighter when you turn the wheel? That's how the A8 does it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

If it's anything like my '18 B9 Audi S5, the swiveling feature was removed. My '13 B8.5 S4 had swiveling headlights but Audi removed the feature for the B9 generation.

My 17 GTI has it and the 18 is still the mk7 so I’d be hard pressed to believe they changed this mid cycle.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
I also have the adaptive side lights, and I see that they CAN swivel during alignment...

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My 17 GTI has it and the 18 is still the mk7 so I’d be hard pressed to believe they changed this mid cycle.

Ditto, '16 GTI has it as well. I know it can be disabled through the "Car" menu in the dash.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

18 was a bit of a refresh though.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I have an 18 GTI too with the LED lights. They do swivel when you turn, but it depends on your drive mode. In the custom drive mode menu, you can set Adaptive Lighting to sport mode and that should activate them to the greatest degree. I don’t think any mode disables them, but they swivel less I believe

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
I'm going to ask the dealer when I go for service tomorrow... I thought they moved when I got the car, but they definitely aren't now. Thanks for the tips, guys.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

DesperateDan posted:

I'm facing the same issue on B6 platform, I think a more complex code scanner can pick up which sensor it is but considering the cost of the sensors I'm thinking about just replacing them all anyway

Looks like it might be possible with a multi meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnvrsY-UPf4

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Is there anything wrong or particularly crappy about A3s that makes them so cheap? I'm seeing 2015-2016 models with less than 30k miles for under $20k. These are quattro models, compared to Golf Rs still over $30k with the same age and mileage.

The A3 seems to take a huge depreciation hit so a great value to get lightly used. If anyone has one chime in how you like it. I would be coming from a Mk6 GTI with Stage 1 tune and would like to move into an AWD model.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I feel like a lot of those would have been leased and they are coming up for sale now. I'd guess a glut in the market compared to the R and less demand.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Styles Bitchley posted:

Is there anything wrong or particularly crappy about A3s that makes them so cheap? I'm seeing 2015-2016 models with less than 30k miles for under $20k. These are quattro models, compared to Golf Rs still over $30k with the same age and mileage.

The A3 seems to take a huge depreciation hit so a great value to get lightly used. If anyone has one chime in how you like it. I would be coming from a Mk6 GTI with Stage 1 tune and would like to move into an AWD model.

Golf Rs are more comparable with an S3, which is still usually around 25-30k ime

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
2016 Golf R Update:

The shop pulled the head apart and found additional scoring from metal shavings. So one new OEM head (the machine shop said if the cam shaft landings were machined I would lose oil pressure) and one new OEM intake cam shaft.
OEM head: $950
OEM Intake camshaft: $750

Man these new engines are expensive. Carnage below. I went ahead and decided to have the springs and retainers replaced with Integrated Engineering upgraded replacements for additional RPM with the new turbo and high pressure fuel pump. The engine block is complete and everything is ready to go back together next week. I also decided to become a NASA member to get some track experience in with the HDPE events here at the local Utah Motorsports Complex. On the plus side the shop that is building the car has track side support and run their own GT3 Cup car and a Huracan Super Trofeo. Should turn out to be a fun summer. Hopefully I decide I don't need to become competitive and start looking for a baby's first track car project (probably will). The automotive drug problem is in full swing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mrtrunks84 posted:

2016 Golf R Update:

The shop pulled the head apart and found additional scoring from metal shavings. So one new OEM head (the machine shop said if the cam shaft landings were machined I would lose oil pressure) and one new OEM intake cam shaft.
OEM head: $950
OEM Intake camshaft: $750

Man these new engines are expensive. Carnage below. I went ahead and decided to have the springs and retainers replaced with Integrated Engineering upgraded replacements for additional RPM with the new turbo and high pressure fuel pump. The engine block is complete and everything is ready to go back together next week. I also decided to become a NASA member to get some track experience in with the HDPE events here at the local Utah Motorsports Complex. On the plus side the shop that is building the car has track side support and run their own GT3 Cup car and a Huracan Super Trofeo. Should turn out to be a fun summer. Hopefully I decide I don't need to become competitive and start looking for a baby's first track car project (probably will). The automotive drug problem is in full swing.

It's been a couple summers but I used to do a ton of track day stuff, feel free to ask away if you have any questions about what to expect.

That engine stuff is a bit of a nightmare but that head is actually fairly cheap for a brand new OEM part.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

How much of a pain in the rear end is going to be to replace the air filter on an FSI engine? I'm looking at the procedure now and it involves unhooking a bunch of poo poo (possibly involving Torq screws) and taking the engine cover off because the filter is on the underside of the engine cover for some ungodly reason.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

3\10

I found putting it back together more annoying than taking it off. To take the cover off the mounts, pull with a high but even force.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Baxate posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is going to be to replace the air filter on an FSI engine? I'm looking at the procedure now and it involves unhooking a bunch of poo poo (possibly involving Torq screws) and taking the engine cover off because the filter is on the underside of the engine cover for some ungodly reason.

Extremely easy maybe a 30 min job. There are a couple screws by the intake port at the front, a hose clamp here and there, and maybe some torX holding the filter in. I generally get it changed with my oil tbh.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Extremely easy maybe a 30 min job. There are a couple screws by the intake port at the front, a hose clamp here and there, and maybe some torX holding the filter in. I generally get it changed with my oil tbh.

I guess its not that bad, but I'm coming from cars that take about 30 seconds to replace the air filter where you undo one latch on the filter housing. I should probably buy that T25 torq screwdriver though because I'll probably need it on my MK7 GTI eventually. TSI looks a lot easier to do the air filter on, but the housing is still held together with 8 (!) T25s.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You don't own a full set of torx bits? How do you manage???

Literally every screw other than the license plate ones on a VW/Audi will be torx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Uthor posted:

You don't own a full set of torx bits? How do you manage???

Literally every screw other than the license plate ones on a VW/Audi will be torx.

Heh, yeah I've only owned my GTI since last July and it's brand new so I haven't needed to replace anything on it yet. I just got this A3 a month ago and it being used I'm going through and replacing some of this stuff.