Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just saw the news about .org :(

quote:

holy gently caress im getting old

e:

I'm trying to register at the .in website with the referral code in the .org forums but I get a blank page after I hit 'submit'. Seems like lots of people commenting are too. Did I miss the window or something?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Yes, I think we've missed the window for that one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

tzirean posted:

Hmm. I pay $10/mo for Supernews, am I a silly dinosaur who has been overpaying for years?

I signed up for the $3/mo plan during their game of thrones discount in July 2017 and cancelled supernews. Supernews emails me sometimes offering me one month for $5.99 after which the price will be like 11.99 or something and it just seems absurd. I've been happy with newsdemon and a blocknews account as a backup.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Rexxed posted:

I've been happy with newsdemon and a blocknews account as a backup.

Aren't these two on the same backbone, or am I misreading the info?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pardot posted:

Aren't these two on the same backbone, or am I misreading the info?

They are according to reddit but somehow blocknews as my lowest priority server still gets used sometimes. I also have one of those free test xennanews accounts and have a free xsusenet account and they somehow both get used as well despite being different priorities and on the same provider. Perhaps it's just outages but I rarely need to look at my servers so I'm not sure.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

It is done.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wonder how many people are finding out about this today when their auto stuff suddenly stops working.

e: Also looks like Amazon tagged episodes of American Dad have caused yet further confusion on this show as I've got 4 downloads that belong godknows where. I'm gonna guess episodes I already have but I'll have to test each one by hand and manually sort out. Truly the worst show for this.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 17, 2019

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wonder how many people are finding out about this today when their auto stuff suddenly stops working.

e: Also looks like Amazon tagged episodes of American Dad have caused yet further confusion on this show as I've got 4 downloads that belong godknows where. I'm gonna guess episodes I already have but I'll have to test each one by hand and manually sort out. Truly the worst show for this.

I loving hate American Dad cause it was one of the first shows I tested when I was setting up Sonarr and it kept making me think the whole thing was broken, I still don't know how to fix it, it always grabs the wrong season after 13 or so.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fano posted:

I loving hate American Dad cause it was one of the first shows I tested when I was setting up Sonarr and it kept making me think the whole thing was broken, I still don't know how to fix it, it always grabs the wrong season after 13 or so.

Sonarr uses TheXEM.de which does their utmost best to control the situation. You can see their entry for AD here - http://thexem.de/xem/show/4606

If you click an episode in the scene column, it'll show you what the TVDB equivalent is. Sonarr essentially uses this to translate from the TVDB data that it grabs, to what it should be looking for. But AD is so wonky that nobody is always quite on the same page, so it can only do its best. Righ now Sonarr isn't processing the 4 grabs it did for me because XEM haven't updated their mappings, but if the episodes that were grabbed have labelling that doesn't make any sense at all, then yeah... it's hard work and manual importing is the only way you can do it. Easier for episodes you've seen, rather than ones you're trying to use a 2 line synopsis for.

But man, that's super unlucky to pick that out of all the shows to do your test. It's literally the most broken one out there (that isn't a kids show that gets split into 2x 1/2 length episodes per aired episode, anyway).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I do not like Sonarr. I do not like Plex. I use both. The thing is Sonarr can be annoying but hey it does indeed work for the most part. What's that Sonarr? You're rejecting another file for reasons? Oh okay. You see that file right there right? Yeah it's what you want I put it their figure it out. Sonarr is good enough for most situations but for those odd ball ones it just seems to suck.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 17, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Been using Sonarr for years with rare issues of it not working right. You doing just regular rear end primetime TV, or more complicated things like kids stuff, anime etc?

Once every few months it'll be a bit stubborn about a show and I can't place my finger on why, but luckily it's not something that persists too much. Manual import never fails for me when I set the show/season/episode myself, which is usually a result of something with really cruddy tagging.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Been using Sonarr for years with rare issues of it not working right. You doing just regular rear end primetime TV, or more complicated things like kids stuff, anime etc?

Once every few months it'll be a bit stubborn about a show and I can't place my finger on why, but luckily it's not something that persists too much. Manual import never fails for me when I set the show/season/episode myself, which is usually a result of something with really cruddy tagging.

It's fine for primetime besides preferring downloading an entire season nzb which have a tendency to fail in one manner or another more often then the individual ones. Not bad, not flawless. It's the kind finickyness I tend to expect from free software.

Also lol anime it's sooooo bad at anime but that's partially because usenet seems pretty iffy towards anime. I think I'm going to torrent those but I'm lazy and don't feel like going through the trouble.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 17, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Most of the finickyness of sonarr is due to the fact that in the year 2019 we're parsing filenames to get metadata.

Also that there is a whole ecosystem of tools built around thetvdb.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

mcbexx posted:

It is done.

It is finished, you mean.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Onomarchus posted:

It is finished, you mean.

It is Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (585 short).

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just saw the news about .org :(

holy gently caress im getting old

e:

I'm trying to register at the .in website with the referral code in the .org forums but I get a blank page after I hit 'submit'. Seems like lots of people commenting are too. Did I miss the window or something?

If only you had plat on these here dead gay forums...

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Duck and Cover posted:

Also lol anime it's sooooo bad at anime but that's partially because usenet seems pretty iffy towards anime. I think I'm going to torrent those but I'm lazy and don't feel like going through the trouble.

It’s actually not bad about anime at all. It’s a couple more steps at best.

1. Add show with whatever it was entered at using TVDB. (God Dave you if you like Digimon, Sentai, Kamen Rider, Pokémon)

2. Add a tag to the show you recognize

3. Open settings, go to indexers. Add a requirement for the group you want and the tags for the shows.

4. Relax?

I’ve done that for at least a year or more of seasonal anime stuff and never had an issue. The difficult ones are mostly missing absolute numbering or TVDB can’t pull its own head out of its rear end to see a franchise has multiple shows instead of seasons.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

It’s actually not bad about anime at all. It’s a couple more steps at best.

1. Add show with whatever it was entered at using TVDB. (God Dave you if you like Digimon, Sentai, Kamen Rider, Pokémon)

2. Add a tag to the show you recognize

3. Open settings, go to indexers. Add a requirement for the group you want and the tags for the shows.

4. Relax?

I’ve done that for at least a year or more of seasonal anime stuff and never had an issue. The difficult ones are mostly missing absolute numbering or TVDB can’t pull its own head out of its rear end to see a franchise has multiple shows instead of seasons.

It struggles to ID animes because anime groups are idiots and Sonarr isn't smart enough. That combined with usenet just not having things makes for a fairly unreliable thing. Motor rollerblade anime? No problem. Basketball mechs? Problem. Sentient motorcycle anime with an old version and a new one? Issue. I still have voids in my no I won't kill swordsman anime. I think part of the problem is indexers put anime on a separate port so I'm using less indexers. It also got confused by an anime with an American live action version.

As far as modern stuff the one I'm presently watching has been fine.

It's fine I'll find a better way to get the older stuff.

Edit: I think my favorite thing is when I'm in manual mode and it refuses to let me download because of Unknown Series. Stupid Sonarr I'm telling you it's what I want let me download it!
https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/issues/395 Oh yaaay looks like I might get what I want. Ah I see I need to get the nzbs and then manually import the finished files through the wanted tab, sure whatever.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 19, 2019

drwprtcht
Mar 14, 2011
Finished my unRaid server last weekend and have been getting back into the hang of using Usenet again for the first time since probably 2012-ish. Any idea why Radarr/Sonarr would be sending these blank queries to NZBHydra2 every few minutes? Seems like it's causing me to hit daily API limits on some free indexers that I'm using...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

drwprtcht posted:

Finished my unRaid server last weekend and have been getting back into the hang of using Usenet again for the first time since probably 2012-ish. Any idea why Radarr/Sonarr would be sending these blank queries to NZBHydra2 every few minutes? Seems like it's causing me to hit daily API limits on some free indexers that I'm using...

It's Radarr and Sonarr checking releases. See here.

drwprtcht
Mar 14, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's Radarr and Sonarr checking releases. See here.

Thanks...I was wondering if it was the RSS Sync option but I didn't think it would perform a query if I don't have anything "wanted."

Guess I'll change the interval to 2 hours to save my limits.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Duck and Cover posted:

It struggles to ID animes because anime groups are idiots and Sonarr isn't smart enough. That combined with usenet just not having things makes for a fairly unreliable thing. Motor rollerblade anime? No problem. Basketball mechs? Problem. Sentient motorcycle anime with an old version and a new one? Issue. I still have voids in my no I won't kill swordsman anime. I think part of the problem is indexers put anime on a separate port so I'm using less indexers. It also got confused by an anime with an American live action version.

As far as modern stuff the one I'm presently watching has been fine.

It's fine I'll find a better way to get the older stuff.

If you’re not using NZBHydra, use it. There’s a couple of extra indexers it lists as default for anime. It also helps to stick to a group for a show. It’s a lot harder for bad grabs to happen that way.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

If you’re not using NZBHydra, use it. There’s a couple of extra indexers it lists as default for anime. It also helps to stick to a group for a show. It’s a lot harder for bad grabs to happen that way.

I've considered it but I'm lazy (looks like kind of a bother to install on Synology) and I rather not just keep piling on the programs. Maybe I will because the alternative of setting up a vpn/virtual machine (so that everything isn't using a vpn) looks like a bother too but I get the feeling I'm going to want the option to torrent anyway.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I just set myself up with VIP on DS and renewed my cat VIP, so hopefully between those two and .su I should have decent coverage. Sad day deactivating nzbs.org on my setup though. Any other indexers I should consider over one of those three? Looking back over the last few weeks, almost all my pulls were from .su anyway.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

PitViper posted:

I just set myself up with VIP on DS and renewed my cat VIP, so hopefully between those two and .su I should have decent coverage. Sad day deactivating nzbs.org on my setup though. Any other indexers I should consider over one of those three? Looking back over the last few weeks, almost all my pulls were from .su anyway.

I get most unique stuff from DS and Geek at this point I think. Also NZBNooB has a lot of strange content.
e: and 6box.me is free

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EL BROMANCE posted:

Me. I didn't refresh this thread in a while and now am scrambling to find alternatives :(

Looks like you guys had some good ideas from the nzbs.org forums but now those are inaccessible. Is my solution to pony up for VIP on one of the known ones? Any in particular I should focus on as a primary replacement if I had to pick just one?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There were threads with links to providers but they were locked to the http referral I believe so wouldn’t be able to pass them on (and they’re probably deactivated now).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

TraderStav posted:

Me. I didn't refresh this thread in a while and now am scrambling to find alternatives :(

Looks like you guys had some good ideas from the nzbs.org forums but now those are inaccessible. Is my solution to pony up for VIP on one of the known ones? Any in particular I should focus on as a primary replacement if I had to pick just one?

Nzbgeek and Dognzb seem to be the ones with more unique content, most of the others seem to always have the same stuff.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Incessant Excess posted:

Nzbgeek and Dognzb seem to be the ones with more unique content, most of the others seem to always have the same stuff.

Thanks, I dropped the $30 for NZBGeek and will see how it goes.

How have I not found NZBHydra2 before today. It's really freaking great.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Out of curiosity, how do the NZB sites get their content? Are there NZB backbones, for lack of a better term, upstream that they copy from?

Also, is there a Docker thread? I'm looking at migrating my usenet stuff to Docker and am trying to wrap my head around how you interface with the file system.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Out of curiosity, how do the NZB sites get their content? Are there NZB backbones, for lack of a better term, upstream that they copy from?

Also, is there a Docker thread? I'm looking at migrating my usenet stuff to Docker and am trying to wrap my head around how you interface with the file system.

I just got my entire setup dockerized using this: https://github.com/GhostWriters/DockSTARTer

Super easy to get started - it handles most everything for you. All you need to is configuration.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 20, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

NZBs are automatically generated based on the usenet groups they look for posts in. These posts on newsgroups that get indexed are usually made up of files split up via rar with some parity files to fix incomplete archives. Most of the nzb grabbing software (like newznab) lets you pick the newsgroups you index and uses regexes to generate the nzb files which are just references that tell your downloader where to go to find the files referenced by the nzb. They're XML which is meant to be a markup file that's human readable, so you can open them up to see what's in there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZB

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

If everything is obfuscated these days, how or who does the de obfuscation?

Édit: and why aren’t nzbs posted to Usenet itself?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pardot posted:

If everything is obfuscated these days, how or who does the de obfuscation?

Édit: and why aren’t nzbs posted to Usenet itself?

I'm not sure how the obfuscation they're using now works. Obviously the subject which is the filename is hashed or encrypted but I'm guessing it's a scene thing that site operators know how to handle. It's probably something of an open secret but I have no idea.

I don't think there's much of a point to putting nzbs themselves on usenet in general since they just reference the posts already on usenet, although the Spotweb nzb service kind of works like that. It balls up a bunch of nzbs and posts them as "spots" for other spotwebs to download and unpack, giving you your own local spotweb webserver. It seems to be netherlands heavy but I do find things on there I can't find on other indexers sometimes. I've left it running for years at this point on a VM and it's still only using like 6GB.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Can anyone help me out here? I've got Sonarr tracking the show "Once Upon a Time", and it has been grabbing episodes fairly consistently, but there are some gaps in some seasons (or entire seasons) where nothing is grabbed.

When I do a manual search, I get a list of perfectly accurate search results, but Sonarr complains about "Unknown Series" and won't let me add them to the download queue:

I've grabbed some of these manually and they work perfectly well, how can I coerce Sonarr to pick them up?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Fano posted:

Can anyone help me out here? I've got Sonarr tracking the show "Once Upon a Time", and it has been grabbing episodes fairly consistently, but there are some gaps in some seasons (or entire seasons) where nothing is grabbed.

When I do a manual search, I get a list of perfectly accurate search results, but Sonarr complains about "Unknown Series" and won't let me add them to the download queue:

I've grabbed some of these manually and they work perfectly well, how can I coerce Sonarr to pick them up?

When you find them with a manual search, what does it say when you hover over the red exclamation mark?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

When you find them with a manual search, what does it say when you hover over the red exclamation mark?

Like I mentioned, the only issue listed there is "Unknown Series", I believe my profiles are set up properly, given that quite a bit of the show was automatically grabbed without any problems.

e: for reference:

The same error is shown for most of the search results, I believe this is an issue with this particular series but I haven't been able to figure out why.

Fano fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 20, 2019

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I suspect it must be a problem with your indexer(s). I added the series to Sonarr, and through a combination of DogNZB, NZBCat, and the Sickbeard API, it automatically found all but two episodes, and hitting the auto search on those two for some reason found them fine.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Is there anything I can do on my end? This is happening with NZBGeek as well as the 2 or 3 free indexers I have as backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The log files should tell you specifically why it rejected them as unknown series.