Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Outside of the sheer unreasonable nature of the action of trying to murder an innocent 6 year old kid, it makes a lot of sense as to why Jaime would feel the need to have to have that kid die and why he could justify it to himself.

A lesser evil to him or some poo poo.
Also probably just generally because Bran's a weird looking stump of a human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think anyone wants the show to go as the pace of the books.

But drat, a lot of uncomfortable meetings in that episode. I completely forgot about Sam finding out about his Father and Brother, that's rough and will probably wreck Sam, but he's not going to do something stupid.

Sansa is basically Cersei at this point, but with less murder so far.

As others have said, they checked a bunch of important stuff off. None of it was surprising, so actually makes sense to do it now so they can concentrate on the unexpected stuff.

Thormund and Delorious Ed being buds! Also that poo poo was creepy as gently caress at Last Hearth. RIP Baby Umber.

I feel like they overdid it with the awkward interactions in this episode. Like, this show is called Game of Thrones, not Awkward Interactions: The Awkwardening.

It kinda wore out its welcome with me. The one with the dragons was really weird. "Hey, our mom is about to have sex with her nephew.... LETS LEER AT THEM FROM 2 FEET AWAY!"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
"She's the smartest person I know" was pretty hilarious.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midgetskydiver posted:

"She's the smartest person I know" was pretty hilarious.

She also thought Tyrion was the smartest person she knew.

I feel like Sansa just doesn't have a really good gift for judging smarts. She did like Joffrey at first, after all, her radar is definitely off a bit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Karmine posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about the bolded part, but I dunno, it makes sense to me that, when everyone is convening at Winterfell, people who haven’t seen each other in a while will see each other again and we can follow up on/resolve hanging threads of story.
People here think following up on plot threads is fan service.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DrunkPanda posted:

I feel like they overdid it with the awkward interactions in this episode. Like, this show is called Game of Thrones, not Awkward Interactions: The Awkwardening.

It kinda wore out its welcome with me. The one with the dragons was really weird. "Hey, our mom is about to have sex with her nephew.... LETS LEER AT THEM FROM 2 FEET AWAY!"

As an owner of cats that was the realest poo poo in this episode.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The main thing I want to see is John Snow and The Hound's reaction to seeing what Arya can do.

One thing I liked and what they will probably continue to donis address every major party. Like even last season you would watch an entire episode with no mention or even a small scene of the major players.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought this episode was absolutely fantastic. It was nonstop relationship and story payoff.

People waited eight seasons to see Jon Snow ride a dragon and then complained that it was a waste of time.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Needed more Euron.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty sure that Jon is not actually the heir to the Iron Throne; he joined the Night's Watch and formally forsook any claim he had to any crowns ever. The line of succession should skip over him. Just like it skipped over, you know, the other Targaryen in the Night's Watch.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't actually going to be brought up in the show, but come on, this being how things work is central to Sam's character and stuff, him being cheated out of his birthright by his father forcing him to take the oath, and even after learning said father was dead he clearly still thought of his brother as the heir (prior to being told that he was dead too), and yet he's the one insisting that Jon actually is totally the rightful heir over Dany? He is literally the last character, other than maybe Jaime, who should be ignoring that stuff. Bran not giving a poo poo is whatever, he's beyond everything except dark humor about how hosed up he is and stuff ("I'm waiting for an old friend" *said "old friend" is Jaime "Window-Shover" Lannister*, and his comment to Jon at the start of the episode; kid's clearly enjoying himself with that poo poo and it's great), but this stuff defined Sam's life and where it went for years now. Edit: Oh yeah, and he spent a ton of time under Aemon, the aforementioned other Targaryen who was outside of the line of succession due to the vows he took. That whole thing was a big reveal and all, and was told directly to Sam; he really should know how this works already.

I mean, obviously the crown really goes to whoever has the force and/or support to take and keep it, legally I think Dany's still got this and Jon has no valid claim, unless we're going to do something stupid like argue that it was until death and since he died and came back he gets to ignore all that now. At least if we're going back to Targaryens and stuff; from the current line of succession Gendry should probably have it, I think. He wasn't formally legitimized, but Cersei wouldn't have had all of Robert's other bastards slain if they weren't a threat to her rule.

Also, topic of Sam, it really sucks for him but his father kind deserved to burn. Guy was a backstabber and helped get the Tyrells destroyed through his treachery; Dany's mistake was offering him a chance to serve her in the first place because he already firmly established himself as a worthless, untrustworthy rear end in a top hat. Using that as proof that she's a tyrant is, uh, a stretch.

Dickon dying as well was unfortunate, but that was literally his choice, because he was as stupid as his name apparently.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 15, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

People waited eight seasons to see Jon Snow ride a dragon and then complained that it was a waste of time.

It was and the CG and green screen was awful to boot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty sure that Jon is not actually the heir to the Iron Throne; he joined the Night's Watch and formally forsook any claim he had to any crowns ever. The line of succession should skip over him. Just like it skipped over, you know, the other Targaryen in the Night's Watch.

His watch ended, remember

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

He fulfilled his vow by dying and there's plenty of time for the show to address everything else.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

QuoProQuid posted:

Full results here.

audience members p sure jon and dany will end up on the dumb throne by the widest margin, though 15% of millennial think the throne will be destroyed

Lol what the hell, they put Arya twice in a row? Nice editing

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, obviously the crown really goes to whoever has the force and/or support to take and keep it,

That's what's really important about succession.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

His watch ended, remember

LividLiquid posted:

He fulfilled his vow by dying and there's plenty of time for the show to address everything else.

I mentioned that excuse and still think it is a very silly argument. Plus, dying also seems like it should have an effect on your place in the succession, but, well, for obvious reasons I can see them not having standards for how to handle that particular scenario at least.

Lycus posted:

That's what's really important about succession.

Yep. That's what the whole deal with Renly was back in season two, among other examples. It's just, unless Jon can convince the populace at large that he actually did die and come back to life, it's really, really easy to claim his rule is illegitimate, which if nothing else seems like a serious threat to the stability of his reign.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 15, 2019

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Roland Jones posted:

Under false pretenses and lies, he was never a bastard and should Of been fighting ahead of Robb as the true king. Do we count false convictions

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Roland Jones posted:

I mentioned that excuse and still think it is a very silly argument. Plus, dying also seems like it should have an effect on your place in the succession, but, well, for obvious reasons I can see them not having standards for how to handle that particular scenario at least.

What would really happen is that Dany-supporters would say what you said, and Jon-supporters would say what they said, and if no one backed down, there would be a civil war.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

The real answer is that he's one of two potential characters who has the power to claim it right now, the other, as you said, being Dany. But remember in her vision in the House of the Undying, Dany never touched the throne.

Remember Varys' riddle about who has the actual power? Claims are ultimately formalities, but him being the heir to the throne speaks more to his destiny.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol what the hell, they put Arya twice in a row? Nice editing

Took me a minute to get that.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Can someone gif the guy getting his eye shot out on the boat

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

. It's just, unless Jon can convince the populace at large that he actually did die and come back to life,

He really doesn't even have to do that. If Northerners would rather be ruled by their half-Northern ex-king than a Southern stranger, they might not care if they privately believe him or not. That's politics for ya.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

my main takeaway from this whole series is that GRRM is good at making up names. especially Beric Dondarrion. that's a fuckin cool rear end name

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

404notfound posted:

Can someone gif the guy getting his eye shot out on the boat

If you're wondering: Yep, it's Mac.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

The real answer is that he's one of two potential characters who has the power to claim it right now, the other being Dany.

Remember Varys' riddle about who has the actual power? Claims are ultimately formalities, but him being the heir to the throne speaks more to his destiny.

Oh, of course. I just feel that this is a really, really obvious hole in any arguments in favor of him being the rightful heir, and it going unaddressed when at least three characters, two of them major and the third literally a Targaryen (Jaime, Sam, and Aemon respectively), were in this exact situation of their oaths invalidating their claims to rule, and other than Tywin trying to ignore it because gently caress the rules I have money it always went the other way, so it's been bugging me that suddenly no one cares about that.

Lycus posted:

What would really happen is that Dany-supporters would say what you said, and Jon-supporters would say what they said, and if no one backed down, there would be a civil war.

Yep. Which, well, Jon would probably want to back down at least, but a whole lot of people behind him wouldn't; the other Starks, most of the Northerners in general, and Sam, among others, would be pretty loving happy to have someone other than Dany ruling them and at least a few of them don't seem like they'd let that opportunity pass them, regardless of what Jon himself wants.

Lycus posted:

He really doesn't even have to do that. If Northerners would rather be ruled by their half-Northern ex-king than a Southern stranger, they might not care if they privately believe him or not. That's politics for ya.

The possibility of no one actually believing it but it still being used as the formal excuse and his supporters having to make that claim with a straight face is funny to imagine, but, yeah. Basically.

Edit: Unrelated, but while the dragon flying scene was kind of silly, it seemed appropriate for Jon to ride Rhaegal, if nothing else. Not foreshadowing exactly, since we already knew who his actual father was and all, but.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 15, 2019

nopants
May 29, 2004

Pizza Segregationist posted:

my main takeaway from this whole series is that GRRM is good at making up names. especially Beric Dondarrion. that's a fuckin cool rear end name

yah he owns at names. the lightning lord. tormund giantsbane. dolorous edd. the mountain that rides. good name after good name

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, of course. I just feel that this is a really, really obvious hole in any arguments in favor of him being the rightful heir, and it going unaddressed when at least three characters, two of them major and the third literally a Targaryen (Jaime, Sam, and Aemon respectively), were in this exact situation of their oaths invalidating their claims to rule, and other than Tywin trying to ignore it because gently caress the rules I have money it always went the other way, so it's been bugging me that suddenly no one cares about that.

20 piety seems like a bargain here imo

nopants
May 29, 2004
i want an episode that is just edd, tormund and beric being hunted by the night king in a castle. shame this season is only six episodes

nopants
May 29, 2004

The Chad Jihad posted:

I actually thought it was pretty good, but I had very low expectations going in. Also I forgot how few episodes are left so, now knowing that it seems like a waste

who gives a gently caress? have a drink and enjoy the show. trump is the loving president

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sky Shadowing posted:

I can already loving see clearly in my head what's going to happen, Jon's going to tell Dany and because this is the middle ages aunt-nephew incest wasn't even greatly frowned upon, setting aside the fact that they're the Targaryens and incest is sort of their thing.

Then Jon's going to realize A) he loves Dany, B) he doesn't want the throne, C) he thinks Dany will be better at it than him, D) her army isn't loyal to House Targaryen, their loyal to her, personally, E) that the entire loving North only trusts him because they think he's the son of Ned Stark.

I can see the scene itself; Dany proposes something, Lady Mormont tells her to gently caress off, they all look to Jon and say "we trust Ned Stark's son," and Jon's going to realize that sometimes, protecting what you love is more important than thrones and titles.

I agree, except for him thinking Dany will be better at it. Jon is going to see signs that make him think Daenerys will turn into/is a mad queen, and will sadly kill her in a way that makes it look like someone else did it.

He'll end up on the throne precisely because he doesn't want it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Supreme Allah posted:

I just realized of all the reunions they never had Jorah come across Lady Mormont, now I feel ripped off.

Too many other bigger characters all in the mix, I wouldn't be surprised to see a quick scene between them at some point in the season.

bobjr posted:

I used to think Tyrion was the safest character but with this season is probably the best bet for a surprising big death. Not right away but definitely before a final battle

Well we know the Bronn hit squad is coming, I could see him awkwardly holding a crossbow on Tyrion debating on whether to do it and he accidentally pulls the trigger or Jaime stumbles in and it goes off killing Tyrion, then Jaime kills Bronn and comes back to KL and kills Cersei. Or for max tragedy he's holding it on both of them and goes to shoot Jaime but Tyrion takes the shot for him.

One of those poor brothers is for sure getting a (hopefully) noble death while the other gets to kill Cersei, in my opinion.

People could definitely take sides literally just by Jon claiming his true heritage with zero proof, the North basically wanted him to be pulling that already when they called him King in the North. I'm expecting them to stop the dead in a big fight at Winterfell and then barely eke out a win against the Lannister forces when they show up to mop up. Sort out who has the proper claim then pretty diplomatically with no one killing each other over it for literally the first time in the series, showing some progression in the mindset of people who've all lived through horrible killing and suffering because of the drat throne and with an assist to pacifism from the fact that probably 80% of the people involved in both those fights are straight up dead and they're all thankful to have survived the craziest apocalyptic poo poo anyone has seen in thousands of years. Then what's left of the army marches down to KL and Jon or Dany get that throne, or they both rule together.

Now where things get really nuts, and really the more interesting story development, is if they mostly get their asses kicked at Winterfell and then the good guys have to roll one hell of a charisma check to get the Golden Company goons to side with them against the dead in round 2. Judging just based on the previews it would seem like the Winterfell battle is coming in episode 3, and while I could see the undead threat being cleaned up that early it would really only leave the Golden Company and Euron as big military conflicts to resolve and remove that existential threat to everyone from the board pretty early. Between that and it being a bit underwhelming if they lose their first major fight right out the gate, probably gonna see a valiant loss there.

I'll also admit that losing the whole drat North and some Southern land to the dead and having to make a stand in Kings Landing, maybe using some leftover wildfire as an ace in the hole, would be a pretty solid conclusion, though that basically depends on killing the Night King (and maybe a few of his top underlings) being a magic bullet that basically kills all the undead. With so little time left you do kind of need some kind of instant way to defeat that big ol' horde, though the lamer WoW Lich King ending.is very in keeping with GoT too.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

nopants posted:

i want an episode that is just edd, tormund and beric being hunted by the night king in a castle. shame this season is only six episodes

throw in the hound and gendry and you've got a solid d&d campaign there

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

20 piety seems like a bargain here imo

Ha, is it really that cheap to get around in CK2? I was thinking about that game a lot while writing these posts and wondering if there was a way around taking vows that remove you from succession in it, but since I never had to deal with the scenario personally I didn't know or have much to go on. Though I feel like I've at least heard stories of people pressing the claims of monks and stuff, which seems analogous to the "yes, but counterpoint, gently caress you" argument in favor of Jon's claim that we've been discussing here.

NowonSA posted:

Well we know the Bronn hit squad is coming, I could see him awkwardly holding a crossbow on Tyrion debating on whether to do it and he accidentally pulls the trigger or Jaime stumbles in and it goes off killing Tyrion, then Jaime kills Bronn and comes back to KL and kills Cersei. Or for max tragedy he's holding it on both of them and goes to shoot Jaime but Tyrion takes the shot for him.

One of those poor brothers is for sure getting a (hopefully) noble death while the other gets to kill Cersei, in my opinion.

People could definitely take sides literally just by Jon claiming his true heritage with zero proof, the North basically wanted him to be pulling that already when they called him King in the North. I'm expecting them to stop the dead in a big fight at Winterfell and then barely eke out a win against the Lannister forces when they show up to mop up. Sort out who has the proper claim then pretty diplomatically with no one killing each other over it for literally the first time in the series, showing some progression in the mindset of people who've all lived through horrible killing and suffering because of the drat throne and with an assist to pacifism from the fact that probably 80% of the people involved in both those fights are straight up dead and they're all thankful to have survived the craziest apocalyptic poo poo anyone has seen in thousands of years. Then what's left of the army marches down to KL and Jon or Dany get that throne, or they both rule together.

Now where things get really nuts, and really the more interesting story development, is if they mostly get their asses kicked at Winterfell and then the good guys have to roll one hell of a charisma check to get the Golden Company goons to side with them against the dead in round 2. Judging just based on the previews it would seem like the Winterfell battle is coming in episode 3, and while I could see the undead threat being cleaned up that early it would really only leave the Golden Company and Euron as big military conflicts to resolve and remove that existential threat to everyone from the board pretty early. Between that and it being a bit underwhelming if they lose their first major fight right out the gate, probably gonna see a valiant loss there.

I'll also admit that losing the whole drat North and some Southern land to the dead and having to make a stand in Kings Landing, maybe using some leftover wildfire as an ace in the hole, would be a pretty solid conclusion, though that basically depends on killing the Night King (and maybe a few of his top underlings) being a magic bullet that basically kills all the undead. With so little time left you do kind of need some kind of instant way to defeat that big ol' horde, though the lamer WoW Lich King ending.is very in keeping with GoT too.

Yeah, I've been thinking something similar. Assuming people don't go the stupid route of challenging Danerys's right to rule before the battle that literally can decide the fate of the world, despite her being the one with the bulk of their military might and the fantasy equivalent of two WMDs and thus being pretty much essential no matter what you think of her, then they're probably going to fight the army of the dead, lose, retreat, have to deal with the Golden Company and Cersei, probably kill the latter because she's evil enough to risk the world to keep power, and then have a last stand with the forces they have left, at which point one of Dany and Jon will probably be dead already but if not then that finally gets worked out. And given that Jon was just this episode talking about how they need Dany to survive this, I really, really hope he's not stupid enough to forget that now.

I can see someone else being petty and/or spiteful enough to tell her instead, though, which would still likely cause trouble because Dany really doesn't take challenges well. Or maybe it comes out after the first battle while they're heading to King's Landing and further fucks things up when it's all already at the apparent nadir.

Bran, you're loving psychic, you should have known better than to insist on telling Jon this now.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 15, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit: Double-post.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure I get why they think the Iron Islands would be safe. When Jon was surrounded on that frozen lake didn't the WW just eventually start walking through the water Pirates of the Caribbean style? They're zombies, it's not like they can drown.

e:

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

Almost missed this since your avatar's gone. Good to see the legend will live on until the end :patriot:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jon's terror while flying Rhaegal should lead to him asking Dany, "Can we put some loving saddles on these things?!"

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

teagone posted:

In each season, the fourth episode has always had some kind of "holy poo poo/aww gently caress" moment at the end. So you might be right with Arya slaying a dragon lol. Arya the Dragonslayer :black101:

I was kind of thinking that would be Bran’s last hurrah. The teaser at the beginning showed Bran, then showed the blue dragon eye dilating, so I’m thinking Bran’s ultimate move is to warg into the dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lycus posted:

No one knows because Bran couldn't remember.

Catelyn had her suspicions (and forensic evidence!), but that loose end was taken care of.

Anyway this episode was OK, but it still had a lot of characters doing dumb poo poo just to move the plot along and make set pieces, like no one thinking that maybe the Umbers should bring their troops like everyone else has, so that we could have a six-year-old lord riding back to his castle toward the white walkers, resulting in seafood platter wall. Then of course everyone decides to case the castle instead of get the hell out of dodge. Somehow an army of countless undead has gotten between them and Winterfell without them noticing now? Whatever, we have too many characters I guess.

Compared to last season's frivolities that's low on the totem pole though.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 15, 2019