Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

cmndstab posted:

Hahaha, geez. I guess you have to expect that out of a bunch of footballers, some of them are going to be sucked into that bullshit subculture, but still. For shame, Tom.

I shudder to think how many Crows players are in the same boat :ohdear:

Reminder, a lot of footballers come from private schools (had to have a footy program to get good at the game) and are on 100k when they're 19. Young libs territory right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
And then when they retire and the money dries up (unless they get in the media) it's Family Court Dad territory for them.

Anyway I'm surprised Bogut hasn't come into the conversation of "athletes with poo poo ethics".

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

In terms of stupid poo poo beliefs no footballer has gone as far as Shane "I don't believe in evolution, and instead think Humans came from Aliens" Warne.

... yet.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Andrew Bogut thinks pizzagate is real

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Anyway I don't think we'll bottom out but right now our injury list is

Mitchell (season)
Birchall (who knows)
Burgoyne (hammy)
Shiels (hammy)
O'Meara (cork - probably could've played yesterday but playing it safe is OK)

plus whatever Frawley, Stratton and Smith get assessed as. Frawley's definitely out for a start.

I mean in a month the list should look a bit better (and getting games into the new guys is no bad thing) but with how even this season is looking, as happened late in the Bulldogs game, when the bench options get limited we do look a bit thin. St Kilda had whatsisface out too but I think they would have had that belief they could run over us in the last quarter.

Next four games are
Geelong (yeah, they'll win)
Carlton (I think they've been a bit unlucky)
Melbourne (depends on if it's good Melbourne or poo poo Melbourne)
GWS (another tough one)

So could easily go from 2-2 to 3-5; not the end of the world but maybe it's our turn to be the team that gets all the injuries this year.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
We can only hope for the demise of hawthorn.

Anyway, conferences to remain in AFLW for 2020, because of course.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Chairchucker posted:

Jingles supports Hawthorn, which is the only bad thing about him.

EDIT: It appears Patty Mills is a Crows fan, which further reinforces that he rules.

Oh man I was getting Mills and Exum mixed up. I know Exum, Bogut, and Simmons are all Bombers fans.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Conferences were always going to remain in AFLW. With 14 teams and no appetite to increase the length of the season, it's unavoidable.

The real question is, have they got the makeup of the conferences right this time? Even without the benefit of hindsight, everybody knew from the moment the conferences were announced last year that it was an incredibly uneven mix. Hopefully they do a sanity check this time around.

Edit: That being said, Nicole Livingstone's rationale for keeping them in infuriating.

quote:

[Reasons included] the exciting nature of them; the fact there were clubs that were still alive [late in the season], (and) the window of time (for a season) we have right now as we look to progress the AFLW.

Conferences are exciting, it's not like everybody loving hated them all season long. And it sure is exciting when clubs are still alive at the expense of clubs with better win/loss records!

In fact, I think this year at the conclusion of round 18 Gil should just come out and push the CHAOS BUTTON and every AFL team moves up or down the ladder a random amount! Think how exciting it would be!!!

The window of time for the season is the ONLY reason for conferences. Once the league advances to the stage where women can have a full time career as an elite athlete in AFLW, then extend the length of the season and scrap conferences. Until then, just get the conference mix right.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 15, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I wouldn't mind having more than a third of our starting back 6 available personally

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Ive said it before and I will say it again, the AFLW should have been state based teams with a number of cross state games per season and the finals be full on Australia wide. No AFL team based ones at all, brand newies all the way through.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nah. AFL aligned is decent, brings ready made supporters.

Sam Walsh rising star, about to sign a contract extension too apparently.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
They have simultaneously supported AFLW too much and not enough

Too many clubs, not enough money, resources, or thought.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the AFLW has allowed them to become easier household names, and seems like it's caught a lot more casuals in as well.

they're probably expanding too fast, and are stupidly keeping the season too short, I'm not sure why they wouldn't overlap it with the AFL and run curtain raisers more often...and time the finals and women's grand final around now? would that be too ambitious?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Overlapping it with the mens risks stifling it's growth. Running it during summer would be flat out cruel. There has been some talk about running it post season (October November), but the AFL like using it to hype up the AFLM, and to be fair AFLW does a good job of that. gently caress of a lot more interesting than the JLT series.

In short: there are no good answers at this stage.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Well if we move the mens to a conference system too we'll have plenty of weeks for everybody

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The ideal scenario sees the AFLW get ratings that are good enough that the networks dont mind cutting the mens season down to 17 rounds. The mens season is already too long imo. We are a long way off that, but if we take those 5 weeks, and maybe shuffle the Grand Final down to say the second week in October, we could fit in a proper season.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
One of the few very good Bigfooty posters about AFLW has often talked about the length of the season. Although the natural desire is to make the season longer, there is an argument that it's not really feasible at this stage. Most of the women playing AFLW are really just amateur footballers. They've got their "real" jobs to worry about, in many cases working full time simultaneously. They have a very shortened preseason. Until the competition reaches the stage where the women are paid sufficiently to turn it into their full time job, we can't really expect them to stand up to the rigours of a full-length season of footy, backing up week after week.

Look at Fremantle this year, one of the top teams all year, but by the time the finals came along they were all exhausted or injured and barely able to still field a side. It's particularly an issue for the interstate teams that have to travel so often.

I think of Justine Mules at the Crows, who works five days a week from 6AM to 3PM digging potholes or other physical work out in the sun, then comes home, changes, and goes to training, and then plays a match on the weekend, possibly training interstate to do it, and then has to get back up at 5AM on Monday to do it again. All of this is occuring during an Adelaide summer, too. Or Deni Varnhagen who has to work night shifts as a nurse in between her preseason training sessions. If the season gets longer, the preseason needs to be longer as well.

It's a really difficult balancing act, and realistically conferences are the only way it can work until they're willing to bite the bullet and pay these women a serious full-time wage. It's just, the two conferences they chose for the 2019 season couldn't have been worse if they tried. Of all 1024 permutations, they picked the literal worst one.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

One of the few very good Bigfooty posters about AFLW has often talked about the length of the season. Although the natural desire is to make the season longer, there is an argument that it's not really feasible at this stage. Most of the women playing AFLW are really just amateur footballers. They've got their "real" jobs to worry about, in many cases working full time simultaneously. They have a very shortened preseason. Until the competition reaches the stage where the women are paid sufficiently to turn it into their full time job, we can't really expect them to stand up to the rigours of a full-length season of footy, backing up week after week.

Look at Fremantle this year, one of the top teams all year, but by the time the finals came along they were all exhausted or injured and barely able to still field a side. It's particularly an issue for the interstate teams that have to travel so often.

I think of Justine Mules at the Crows, who works five days a week from 6AM to 3PM digging potholes or other physical work out in the sun, then comes home, changes, and goes to training, and then plays a match on the weekend, possibly training interstate to do it, and then has to get back up at 5AM on Monday to do it again. All of this is occuring during an Adelaide summer, too. Or Deni Varnhagen who has to work night shifts as a nurse in between her preseason training sessions. If the season gets longer, the preseason needs to be longer as well.

It's a really difficult balancing act, and realistically conferences are the only way it can work until they're willing to bite the bullet and pay these women a serious full-time wage. It's just, the two conferences they chose for the 2019 season couldn't have been worse if they tried. Of all 1024 permutations, they picked the literal worst one.

I mean I think all of us here are on board with the fact that they need to fund the players a reasonable salary as a starting point or else the entire thing can’t work sustainably

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/_sjblack/status/1118049192264359937?s=19

Odd that tigers sent a pick back, I guess they wont be drafting many players.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/_sjblack/status/1118049192264359937?s=19

Odd that tigers sent a pick back, I guess they wont be drafting many players.

Also the fact that they’re trading picks from a draft they’re in into a draft they’re not in, affecting a third party who has no say in it.

This league is dumb as gently caress.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Although to be fair, brisbane now has a use for draft picks with gold coast entering the draftzone.

In other news, "Zaharakis hospitalised with leg infection"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

Although to be fair, brisbane now has a use for draft picks with gold coast entering the draftzone.

That makes it worse because Gold Coast theoretically get pushed back a pick in return for Richmond getting a player

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

drunkill posted:

He copped a stud to the knee that made quite a deep puncture wound.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also the fact that they’re trading picks from a draft they’re in into a draft they’re not in, affecting a third party who has no say in it.

This league is dumb as gently caress.

Yeah, it reminds me of when we traded Talia Radan to Melbourne.

In return for trading her, we:

Swapped our pick 6 with Melbourne's pick 8 (a downgrade)
Swapped our pick 31 with Melbourne's pick 37 (another downgrade)
Swapped our pick 52 for Melbourne's pick 47.

So we traded out a player, downgraded two picks in order to upgrade a later pick.

Basically, we just didn't give a poo poo because any three draft picks were equivalent for us. We could have downgraded each of them to pick 200 and it wouldn't have made a difference for us. But for the Victorian clubs it effectively meant Melbourne got a couple of free upgrades and a player for no real outlay.

Dodgy as hell. It will be interesting to see how Tayla Hanks (pick 6) ends up going compared to Rebecca Webster (pick 7) over her career.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Brisbane losing Kate McCarthy and Nat Exon in addition to SFT.

They're literally losing every good player they have, just a bit of a joke

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep, Brisbane is kill. 4 first round compensation picks, but that isn't super great.

Exon and Macarthy to the saints.

It also means Carlton won the Tayla Harris trade, in a big way:
CARLTON
In: Tayla Harris, Pick 12
Out: Nat Exon, Bella Ayre, Bianca Jakobsson

MELBOURNE
In: Bianca Jakobsson
Out: Deanna Berry

BRISBANE
In: Nat Exon, Bella Ayre
Out: Tayla Harris

WESTERN BULLDOGS
In: Deanna Berry
Out: Pick 12

Exon now off to the saints, bella aye unfortunately had to retire due to injury and with pick 12 Carlton picked up Georgia Gee.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Easter and Thursday night games have hosed me up so much that I'm half thinking there's one on tonight (a Wednesday)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Sam Jacobs may miss the season. He finds out on Thurs if he needs surgery.

Reilly O'Brien is set for serious game time and he is scoring well in supercoach,

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Better hope nothing happens to O'Brien then, there is absolutely nobody else on our list capable of rucking at AFL level beyond him and Jacobs. Paul Hunter can ruck in theory but the practice is a very different story. Kieran Strachan is not ready. Beyond that, I think we're asking Andy Otten or someone to part time it.

Maybe it'll be an excuse to get Jenkins out of the forward line for a while.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
As long as you fucks stay well away from Sam Draper

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

As long as you fucks stay well away from Sam Draper

Rumour after Preuss knocked us back and the trade period ended last year was that our next target was Peter Wright

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
https://twitter.com/anniedundun/status/1118708472906797056

Click on the image to see the third paragraph

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I don't see how he'd have time to write his own Wikipedia entry if he's busy playing in ALL the forward positions.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I told you, he's a Liberal party candidate in the making

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The first trade/expansion signing period for AFLW is finished now. The AFL will announce the updated draft order on Tuesday and then there will be another four days of trading (but not expansion signings) and finally a free agency period.

Didn't hear many moves today. Jaz Hewett has left the Crows to go to the Gold Coast, probably a smart move since Jess Foley has taken her spot, particularly with Metcalfe set to return as lead ruck. Cat Phillips left Melbourne to join St Kilda.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
The goal review system is broke. That definitely hit the post.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1118812853492826112

chaosball

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Pies have been kissed on the dick by the umps tonight

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Brisbane being absolutely slaughtered by the umpires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Does anyone else use it the live stream from the AFL website, and is the quality super poo poo? Or is it it just my setup somehow?