Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Holy lol, that horse skip. I mean, I shouldn't be surprised, but I didn't expect the game to just give you the battle rewards.

Edit: Strike that. All those skips are amazing. I love it when speed runners break games in less than a month.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
jumping is really faster than running? dang.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh nevermind I forgot you're all hosed up at the beginning

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Honestly "put your TV in Game Mode" ought to be in the loading screen tips - it's way more important than seeing the mikiri counter instructions for the 100th time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

EBB posted:

WOOOOOOO

wwwwoooooooooooooooooooooOOOOO ....oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the literal first thing i thought of when i read this was archer. "are we still doing phrasing?" i guess its potentially spoilers. https://i.imgur.com/Q49YQU1.jpg

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Fountainhead Palace is such a beautiful area. Really bummed that I'm almost done but I definitely could see myself doing NG+, something I didn't feel at all for Bloodborne.

Doing last minute clean up, don't know if I'll go for killing the Headless, is the reward for the Pot Noble Bait worth it? I don't trust this fool and I don't wanna hurt Big Fish

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

I wish there was just a boss mode. I’m not really enjoying NG+ as much as I want to just go fight O, G and SS over and over.

hell, same

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Expect My Mom posted:

Doing last minute clean up, don't know if I'll go for killing the Headless, is the reward for the Pot Noble Bait worth it? I don't trust this fool and I don't wanna hurt Big Fish

The Headless are very easy if you go back for them later. The Pot Noble quest gives you some of the late game upgrade mats but you gotta hurt the fishy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
gently caress the fishy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, that fishy's immortal, and you should have learned by now that immortality is bad news. Go turn it into sashimi.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pacing is kind of strange. It's linear until you beat the Blazing Bull and then it sprawls out in a more focused Dark Souls 2 way. Would I be right in thinking 90% of the game is accessible by this point, and that the endgame is just a poo poo-ton bosses who repopulate old areas?

I didn't bother trying to kill that Poison Pool Snake Eyes legitimately. I loving hate sniper enemies ever since that terrible Deadshot fight in that Batman game no one is fond of. I don't know how to kill its cousin.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not really a sniper enemy once you're up close to it, it's an enemy with only a few different relatively slow melee attacks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Pacing is kind of strange. It's linear until you beat the Blazing Bull and then it sprawls out in a more focused Dark Souls 2 way. Would I be right in thinking 90% of the game is accessible by this point, and that the endgame is just a poo poo-ton bosses who repopulate old areas?

I didn't bother trying to kill that Poison Pool Snake Eyes legitimately. I loving hate sniper enemies ever since that terrible Deadshot fight in that Batman game no one is fond of. I don't know how to kill its cousin.

Backstab your way to her from the Gun Fort (it's a good farming location, so you'll figure out an efficient, safe way to eliminate the folks there soon enough), then backstab her to start the fight. Jump her grabs and bounce on her head (this is less safe than if you do it with other enemies' sweeps, but still quite safe), deflect her attacks, get in hits when you can, and use oil and the Flame Vent (and Living Force, if you have it) to take huge chunks off her health.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Now that I understand him I think Sword Saint Isshin is one of my favorite fights in the game. I think this is the first time I've felt that way about a From final boss.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Gwyn wasn't one of your favorite ds1 bosses?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I can't say I fully understand yet why Genichiro poo poo his youthisized granddad out of his neck.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

turtlecrunch posted:

I can't say I fully understand yet why Genichiro poo poo his youthisized granddad out of his neck.

The Black Mortal Blade can open up the Underworld.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

DatonKallandor posted:

That's a how, not a why.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

DatonKallandor posted:

Specifically Anybody that is summoned out of there comes back in their prime,hence young Isshin No telling if Gummychurro was aware of that fact or not.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

That's a how, not a why.
Genichiro realized he was too weak to defeat Sekiro and save Ashina, so he called for the guy who was strong enough to establish it in the first place. His life was needed as a sacrifice to bring him back.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 16, 2019

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

turtlecrunch posted:

That's a how, not a why.

He was weak.

He even says as much. His grandfather fought and retook the Ashina Clan's ancestral homeland while he couldn't even beat an immortal preteen and his pet ninja. I mean, his grandfather was so feared that the Interior Ministry waited until he died of old age before they invaded in force.

Genichiro, having lost once again to Wolf, decided that the only way to save Ashina would be for him to kill himself with the Mortal Blade and let his reincarnated grandfather defend Ashina.

All gramps wanted to do was fight everything.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

That's a how, not a why.
He was out of Bite Down and he didn't want to burn his resurrection on your first phase.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I’m not mentally ready for OF or DoH and am glad there are still two minibosses left before I have to commit to killing one.

Dojo guy scared me when I first fought him, and I died as gently caress immediately. Second time I decided he was exactly the same as the similar previous encounters. It was and I deflected him to death in twenty seconds, without a backstab (which looked possible from the other route).

I’m gonna take a break and calm down after the chaos of post-FHP castle, then kill that drunk guy and find the other miniboss.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A tip for either version of the Ashina Elite: If you gently caress up and die, when you resurrect don't do anything other than block or parry. He reacts almost immediately and will kill you again.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Can I get some tips for the final boss

I can get past the first phase fine but once he pulls out the halberd I get hosed because all the attacks I used to punish don't happen anymore, he does more posture even when you deflect him, and half the time when you mikiri counter him he's too far away for your sword slash to hit him

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

IronicDongz posted:

Gwyn wasn't one of your favorite ds1 bosses?

I enjoy the atmosphere of the fight but that's about it. I think a well designed fight should force you to engage with the combat system, and from what I've seen the final boss of Sekiro does that. Gwyn is too easy to cheese with parrying, but even if he wasn't I just don't enjoy the tempo of his fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gammymajams posted:

Something that started to click with me tonight is that you should attack repeatedly until you get the audio cue for an enemy deflect, at which point you need to go defensive. Is that a valid approach? If not, how do you know when to stop attacking? Watching really good people seems to show you should basically be on semi-permanent aggro.
I know plenty of people have responded already but I thought I'd post some videos showing off how powerful this approach is - basically, by forcing an enemy to deflect you're severely limiting their movesets since they have a limited amount of "out of counter" moves. Take a look at Lady Butterfly for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNYgLRMxwB0&t=33s

I use the charged R1 thrust attack because like enemy thrust attacks it's unblockable which forces enemies to deflect it, and since she has so few options out of a deflect I can just keep her locked in that pattern for most of the fight. Another example is Snake Eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvJ2Co63FZg&t=115s

for this one you'll notice that I don't keep attacking after hitting her though, since she can powerarmor through your regular attacks and it's more safe to just wait for her to start attacking and deflect that. Gotta play it a bit safe when playing with no upgrades or healing :v:

This trading of attack -> enemy deflect -> enemy counterattack -> deflect -> attack is the core of Sekiro's combat and it wasn't until I learned how it worked that the game really 'clicked' for me. Some enemies play around with it, like enemies you have to focus purely on deflecting (O'Rin, Long-Arm) or enemies that are less predictable out of a counter and you're better off not forcing to deflect but in general I would say that it's the most valuable skill you could learn in the game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

learning to get into massive attack / deflect combo battles with bosses is also the funnest way to play the game. it feels visceral and savage in a way that not many other action games do

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Can I get some tips for the final boss

I can get past the first phase fine but once he pulls out the halberd I get hosed because all the attacks I used to punish don't happen anymore, he does more posture even when you deflect him, and half the time when you mikiri counter him he's too far away for your sword slash to hit him

Dodge around his leaping slams, and bounce on his head when he does that shockwave spin. Don't be afraid to back off, either - he's not nearly as good at chasing you down and punishing you as Genichiro was. A lot of his attacks have slow recovery, so try hitting him more at the end of combos to see what's punishable.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Grapplejack posted:

A tip for either version of the Ashina Elite: If you gently caress up and die, when you resurrect don't do anything other than block or parry. He reacts almost immediately and will kill you again.

Speaking of the Ashina Elite (red eyes), when you eavesdrop him, he mentions something loosely like "Sorry master, I will be borrowing this to defend the castle" or some such. Who and what might he be referring to? The red eyes indicate he might be using one of those red lumps, but I'm not aware of Isshin and his posse using those, unless they've been hanging out with Doujun on the side.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jan posted:

Speaking of the Ashina Elite (red eyes), when you eavesdrop him, he mentions something loosely like "Sorry master, I will be borrowing this to defend the castle" or some such. Who and what might he be referring to? The red eyes indicate he might be using one of those red lumps, but I'm not aware of Isshin and his posse using those, unless they've been hanging out with Doujun on the side.

Genichiro, I would assume. He's definitely been using the red eyes, and is the acting commander of Ashina's defences even if Isshin is their most powerful warrior.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
shoutouts to Ujinari Mizuo, the strongest motherfucker in all of Japan

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

shoutouts to Ujinari Mizuo, the strongest motherfucker in all of Japan

Until you whip out a Flame Vent, anyway.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
He knew no equal, up until he met the rogue shinobi who knew how to double tap L1.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
man talking about the boss you're stuck on on the internet really works

Jan posted:

He knew no equal, up until he met the rogue shinobi who knew how to double tap L1.
and the one who aggros him, runs away and then comes back to get the free deathblow

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Your Computer posted:

I know plenty of people have responded already but I thought I'd post some videos showing off how powerful this approach is - basically, by forcing an enemy to deflect you're severely limiting their movesets since they have a limited amount of "out of counter" moves. Take a look at Lady Butterfly for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNYgLRMxwB0&t=33s

I use the charged R1 thrust attack because like enemy thrust attacks it's unblockable which forces enemies to deflect it, and since she has so few options out of a deflect I can just keep her locked in that pattern for most of the fight. Another example is Snake Eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvJ2Co63FZg&t=115s

for this one you'll notice that I don't keep attacking after hitting her though, since she can powerarmor through your regular attacks and it's more safe to just wait for her to start attacking and deflect that. Gotta play it a bit safe when playing with no upgrades or healing :v:

This trading of attack -> enemy deflect -> enemy counterattack -> deflect -> attack is the core of Sekiro's combat and it wasn't until I learned how it worked that the game really 'clicked' for me. Some enemies play around with it, like enemies you have to focus purely on deflecting (O'Rin, Long-Arm) or enemies that are less predictable out of a counter and you're better off not forcing to deflect but in general I would say that it's the most valuable skill you could learn in the game.

It must be really satisfying to be so good at a combat system this polished. I notice you (and another guy who posted an owl video) run the majority of the fight with an almost maxed posture bar. How are you avoiding maxing it and taking a big hit? Perfect deflects? If so, why not deflect perfectly earlier to allow more margin for error?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think, but obviously your computer will have to confirm, that while perfect deflects can and will fill your posture bar, they cannot top it off so long as it is always a perfect deflect

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammymajams posted:

It must be really satisfying to be so good at a combat system this polished. I notice you (and another guy who posted an owl video) run the majority of the fight with an almost maxed posture bar. How are you avoiding maxing it and taking a big hit? Perfect deflects? If so, why not deflect perfectly earlier to allow more margin for error?

Perfect deflects still cost you posture, but they won't break your gauge. Having an almost-broken bar like that is just a natural consequence of committing extremely hard to getting up in the enemy's grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I must be old and slow and bad cos I'm stuck between Lady Butterfly and the Burning Bull and have no idea how to get past either of em.

For the bull, put some distance between you so it charges and deflect the charges (when the horns dip down) and get a hit or 2 in then run away to put distance between you again and bait the next charge.