Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

revmoo posted:

I too went to the one in Louisville. The food was bad and noon hit and people stood up above their pulled pork sandwiches and put their hands over their chests and sang the national anthem at the TV and we got up and left. It was unbelievably tacky and cheap. I found it surprisingly offensive. Like a stripper using the flag in their act. Actually worse.

jfc

That sounds terrible. Good on you for walking out of that culty bs, though.

THING BOOMERS LIKE:

The Cold War, judging from CNN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Speaker phones. They like that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

boomers love printing things, signing them, and getting someone else to scan it and email it back to them

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Caesar Saladin posted:

boomers love printing things, signing them, and getting someone else to scan it and email it back to them

I had a boss who gave me his email password so that I could print his emails, scan them in, and send them to another email address. I just went along with it because I knew he would throw a fit if I even asked why.

The twist ending: my boss was a millennial.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Ginette Reno posted:

If there's one thing I hope we Millennials kill it's poo poo mid-tier restaurants like Applebees, Chilis, etc. They're all such garbage and overpriced to boot.

Fast food can stay. It at least serves a purpose if you're in a big hurry. But why the gently caress ever eat at an Applebees when you could find some good local place that is probably cheaper and is definitely tastier? loving boomers man.

lovely chain restaurants are minmaxed to thrive in suburban and rural areas where it's hard to find a decent restaurant. Much like people who go to Paris and end up eating at American fast food joints, people will go to a chain restaurant in an unfamiliar location because they can "trust it".

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Applebeese cheese fried encrusted in bread is bomber, for the price.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rad-daddio posted:

lovely chain restaurants are minmaxed to thrive in suburban and rural areas where it's hard to find a decent restaurant. Much like people who go to Paris and end up eating at American fast food joints, people will go to a chain restaurant in an unfamiliar location because they can "trust it".

It's this, when I went to Hawaii with my family (7 years ago now :corsair: ), my mom wanted to eat at Outback, because "That way we know it's good"

At one point there, we stopped at a Subway, and I went next door to a little Korean style barbecue and got a SPAM based dish, because, it's loving Hawaii.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ginette Reno posted:

If there's one thing I hope we Millennials kill it's poo poo mid-tier restaurants like Applebees, Chilis, etc. They're all such garbage and overpriced to boot.

Fast food can stay. It at least serves a purpose if you're in a big hurry. But why the gently caress ever eat at an Applebees when you could find some good local place that is probably cheaper and is definitely tastier? loving boomers man.

Aren't some of those chains already in trouble? Turns out people don't want to spend $20 a head for lovely burgers, fries, and a coke.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

It's this, when I went to Hawaii with my family (7 years ago now :corsair: ), my mom wanted to eat at Outback, because "That way we know it's good"

At one point there, we stopped at a Subway, and I went next door to a little Korean style barbecue and got a SPAM based dish, because, it's loving Hawaii.

There's a lovely chain restaurant called Tahoe Joe's in California, and they sell your basic country-style ranch food only greasier and more expensive. I made the mistake of taking my inlaws there once for the sake of getting them to try something different. Now, it's all they want to eat whenever we go out. Also, watching my MIL order a well done steak and then send it back four times until the chef turns it into shoe leather is it's own special level of hell.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

-Small businesses
-Also, giant businesses that make the small businesses go bankrupt
-Wondering why all the small businesses are going away
-Asking how to customize their iPhone after being repeatedly told there is no customization before buying said iPhone

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Tucking way-too-big t-shirts into a pair of jeans.

Needing to know your ethnicity*

Not understanding why I like the coffee from the local roaster instead of settling for Tim Hortons -- right before they dump a shitload of sugar and cream into their coffee.

Asking "is it spicy?" the moment any vaguely "ethnic" food is even mentioned. (I once heard some woman tell her husband ten times to ask the waitress at a Swiss Chalet if their featured "butter chicken" was spicy. "Hon, is it spicy? Ask her-- ask the girl if it's spicy, hon. Hon?")

Doing everything they can to scare away people from a volunteer organization that sorely needs new blood, then wondering why no young people are joining.

Complaining about money and taxes despite never learning how any of it works. Worst is when they try to lecture me, an actual loving tax accountant, how tax brackets work :smith:.

"You're 23 years old! Why don't you have a job? You gotta pound the pavement, not use a computer." This was just after the 2008 meltdown.

"You're over 30? Why don't you even have a girlfriend?" Then they try to give me hilariously outdated advice. Not nearly as often as the job thing, but it's happened.

Same with owning a house, and why it's a "good investment." Again, I work with money and read about finance. The Canadian real estate industry is hosed for now.

Really, really old jokes. I have more a few boomers (and a guy under 40 who acts like one) in my office, and they really like old "Oh, hardly workin', eh?" type of jokes. Nice people, but they really like those same old jokes.

Wearing the same cheap suits to a fuction (like a wedding) they bought in the '80s that don't fit anymore.

Golf.

*this one may be because I know a lot of older European (mostly Polish) immigrants.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Saying "Is it Friday yet?" literally every day, including Friday.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
are we having fun yet?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rad-daddio posted:

I dunno man you go on vacation some place and you'll still see these places and they're all always disturbingly packed.

Hell you'll see some of these chain places in loving New York City of all places where you can fall rear end backwards into good local food and people will still go there. I hate America.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Aren't some of those chains already in trouble? Turns out people don't want to spend $20 a head for lovely burgers, fries, and a coke.

Man, I hope so.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

big mouth billy bass is the essence of boomers focused into a vessel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno man you go on vacation some place and you'll still see these places and they're all always disturbingly packed.

Hell you'll see some of these chain places in loving New York City of all places where you can fall rear end backwards into good local food and people will still go there. I hate America.

An Applebee's will be an Applebee's, if you go to New York City, or Tulsa, and boomers are notoriously terrified of new things.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I wonder why they like chain restaurants so much? What were non-chain restaurants like in the 70's that made them avoid them like the plague?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

The Dregs posted:

I wonder why they like chain restaurants so much? What were non-chain restaurants like in the 70's that made them avoid them like the plague?

Chain restaurants are made to be really, really consistent. They may not be great, but boomers also grew up in an era where being skilled with cooking wasn't exactly something to be expected. You only had access to basic staples, and learned to cook those.

For what it's worth, I've been able to break my dad of wanting to go to a chain restaurant all the time (which are pretty much everywhere where my parents live), but he still doesn't like trying new things -- unless it's his idea. He really likes the new all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant, but he'll sit there eating mostly appetizers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Consider this : chain restaurants concentrate Boomers away from the hip hole-in-the-wall places.

Far better they clog up a booth at Applebee's than take up a table at a unique Ethiopian, Cambodian, or other fusion restaurant while loudly complaining about the service, asking how spicy is the food, tipping poorly, and just generally making the dining experience unpleasant for everyone else.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For all the poo poo that boomers give millennial's for just existing on any level, they really are the pickiest of eaters out there.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
They love to party. Whenever I go to visit my mom that lives in a 55+ community there's always some party going on everyday. "We're going to Bob and Sandy's for lunch, they're having a lunch party!". It's noon and Bob hands me a water glass full of scotch. I live in a college town and these people could drink any frat bro under the table. It's the only place in which I've seen where the liquor store is larger than the attached grocery store.

I like visiting my mother.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think it should also be clarified that boomer experiences and preferences refer to white people in the age bracket, because I've observed that boomer aged people of color are completely different. I'm sure they have their own annoying traits, but in general the degree of self entitlement enjoyed by white people is obviously absent.

Like my in laws immigrated from Mexico four decades ago and in a lot of ways don't share most of the annoying quirks that most Boomers have. But like a lot of first generation immigrants they had to work their rear end off just to get to where they are and this can leave a few chips on a person's shoulder.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

FlimFlam Imam posted:

They love to party. Whenever I go to visit my mom that lives in a 55+ community there's always some party going on everyday. "We're going to Bob and Sandy's for lunch, they're having a lunch party!". It's noon and Bob hands me a water glass full of scotch. I live in a college town and these people could drink any frat bro under the table. It's the only place in which I've seen where the liquor store is larger than the attached grocery store.

I like visiting my mother.

Boomers can loving drink, I’ll give them that. Usually halfway decent hooch too, due to their hoarded wealth.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Iron Crowned posted:

For all the poo poo that boomers give millennial's for just existing on any level, they really are the pickiest of eaters out there.

If I grew up in the 50s where veggies came out of a can and dinner out of the freezer, I'd have a poo poo pallet too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

An Applebee's will be an Applebee's, if you go to New York City, or Tulsa, and boomers are notoriously terrified of new things.

It's true. It's still shameful.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
food back then was generally garbage compared to today, chain restaurants probably were actually the best food available to most people

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Magnitogorsk. posted:

food back then was generally garbage compared to today, chain restaurants probably were actually the best food available to most people

Chains are just fast food places that you don't have to order from the counter.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Boomers are picky eaters but they spin it as a positive because they’re used to “real food” and not weird chi chi foreign dishes that overeducated urbanite foodies obsess about. Look how many people still use “latte sipping” or “sushi munching” to refer to effete liberals.

In any case, my boomer parents were pretty cool besides insisting that the art of making good music was lost to mankind around 1980.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

If I grew up in the 50s where veggies came out of a can and dinner out of the freezer, I'd have a poo poo pallet too.

All the "new" houses from like the 50's on had some tiny rear end kitchens because people were really not liking the idea of cooking food.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Boomers like chain restaurants because the local diner used to be run by a guy who bought the entire restaurant, including the building itself out of a catalog and then used the skills he learned cooking in the army to design the menu.

If you go to any lovely dying fly over city you might still find some of these places and the food is bland and fuckin terrible.

These places make TGI Friday's look like a James Beard winner.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

You know what boomers don’t like?

Snopes. Or doing any other bare minimum fact check of scare mongering clickbait, urban legends, feelgood hero stories or obvious photoshops. When you post the snopes link in their dumb Facebook thread, then snopes becomes the thing they are suspicious of.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I'm in the middle of tax season, and as an accountant I coincidentally read an article written by a local boomer about how it's getting harder to file my self-employed taxes via pen and paper. As a professional working in the field, I'm glad they're moving to mostly-online filing because it makes my job so much easier.

Fun fact: the Canada Revenue Agency's budget was slashed a few years ago by boomer-loved prime minister Stephen Harper, and unsurprisingly could not deal with the influx of calls from tax rules he had changed that same year.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

I'm in the middle of tax season, and as an accountant I coincidentally read an article written by a local boomer about how it's getting harder to file my self-employed taxes via pen and paper. As a professional working in the field, I'm glad they're moving to mostly-online filing because it makes my job so much easier.

Fun fact: the Canada Revenue Agency's budget was slashed a few years ago by boomer-loved prime minister Stephen Harper, and unsurprisingly could not deal with the influx of calls from tax rules he had changed that same year.

The IRS cuts have been very severe and guess what age the majority of their workforce is?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Having literal tantrums in retail stores

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Nah they figured out how to get millenials interested again by putting a tablet at the table so you dont have to interact with anyone to order

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nooner posted:

Nah they figured out how to get millenials interested again by putting a tablet at the table so you dont have to interact with anyone to order

I always thought that was more the little kids but I think you're onto something.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Nooner posted:

No that's so they can reduce the number of waitstaff and have runners wordlessly drop off food

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Slack Lagoon posted:

No that's so they can reduce the number of waitstaff and have runners wordlessly drop off food

It's this. I'm pretty sure that Millennials aren't afraid of interacting with other people, that's just what Boomers say to make themselves feel better about how they're a decrepit piece of poo poo

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Iron Crowned posted:

It's this. I'm pretty sure that Millennials aren't afraid of interacting with other people, that's just what Boomers say to make themselves feel better about how they're a decrepit piece of poo poo
Boomers think Millennials don't like interacting with other people, but really Millennials just don't like interacting with Boomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't think Boomers are nearly as picky eaters as goons claim, since there's going to be a rather sour selecting group of people on SA. Folks like Andrew Zimmern are Boomers yet they'll eat anything with legs that isn't a table.

After all, we are aware of plenty of picky Millennials. Did they get their pickiness from their parents? If so, how do you explain the goons bragging about how adventurous they are compared to their parents?

Another thing to factor is medical issues, which Boomers are going to be more affected by compared to millennials. My boomer mom has intermittent issues ever since she had her gallbladder removed, she also gets severe gastric reflux and possibly as a result of the powerful acid reducers she has to take, also gets severely ill from certain foods (she spent 2 separate Christmas eves in the ER due to severe vomiting). As a young woman she loved trying new food and loved spicy stuff, but much of what she used to enjoy now makes her seriously ill so she's kind of paranoid about ingredients.

Taken out of context, this can make her seem rather insufferable in restaurants as she is asking if food is spicy or asking about ingredients, but the reality is that she is just trying not to make herself sick.