Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Necros posted:

lol that sega had an online streaming game library 25 years ago and nintendo makes you enter a random string of 16 wingdings to add your friends in 2019

I had this in my city growing up. It was way cutting edge for the time--we were using Prodigy internet still to dial up yet the Genesis could bring in a huge library of games. I remember staying up late trying to catch the rollover for the next month's line-up.

:synpa: + :page3: = 5

grillster fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

lol but seriously posted:

always picked the vampire guy because i was so deep and tortured

i am fond of the gangster guy. also wizard man.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

grillster posted:

I had this in my city growing up. It was way cutting edge for the time--we were using Prodigy internet still to dial up yet the Genesis could bring in a huge library of games. I remember staying up late trying to catch the rollover for the next month's line-up.

:synpa: + :page3: = 5

The only kids I knew who had it were rich pieces of poo poo, but yeah, sure, let's play some Shining Force when it loads.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trying to play Phantasy Star IV on my friend's Nomad is probably why my eyes are hosed today

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

best bale posted:

Aladdin on SNES was superior to the SEGA version and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise.

From just looking at it, the Genesis version was way better. But yeah the SNES version was a much better game. Same with Jurassic Park. Not that the Genesis versions were bad, the SNES versions were just better games with more to do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Trying to play Phantasy Star IV on my friend's Nomad is probably why my eyes are hosed today
It was worth it, PS4 is a great game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was worth it, PS4 is a great game.

Trying to Google a screenshot of how painfully unreadable the text was on that tiny-rear end screen led me to the fact that they apparently remade it for the Saturn, and gently caress I want to play that version so bad now

e: actually on a second look they just remade the first 2 games but cancelled remakes of III and IV :(

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 15, 2019

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

My favorite Sega game was Ranger X. Nobody talks about fuckin' Ranger X.

Game still holds up today too

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Trying to Google a screenshot of how painfully unreadable the text was on that tiny-rear end screen led me to the fact that they apparently remade it for the Saturn, and gently caress I want to play that version so bad now

e: actually on a second look they just remade the first 2 games but cancelled remakes of III and IV :(
IV never gets any appreciation, it wasn't on the GBA re-releases either. It's by far the best in the series.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Phantasy Star games becoming proto-Destiny style games is the biggest gently caress you

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Sid Vicious posted:

But that's not what the base genesis controller has, it has A B C

Oh yeah, true. I always use a sixer and I forgot about the original one

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

She’s CD owned if only cause of the start up music. That poo poo was bad rear end as a 90s kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzTSF61epwo

Also Ecco the Dolphin owned. I only had Ecco 2 but it always seemed like this cool adventure seeing how far I could get into the game especially when the weird alien poo poo started coming into play. The kill sound was just this high pitched buzz so you’d just be swimming around exploring or some poo poo and then this terrifying poo poo would rush you and scare the poo poo out of you as you died.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I really wanted to like Ecco the dolphin and I played it a lot but I honestly had no loving clue what I was supposed to do so I don't think I ever left the first area.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Tom Gorman posted:

My favorite Sega game was Ranger X. Nobody talks about fuckin' Ranger X.

Game still holds up today too

I'm pretty sure that's cos it was one of the last games on Mega Drive. It looked amazing though. Remember when graphics could still wow you?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i love everything about seaman. never played it because i was not rich growing up and have only watched youtube videos years after the the fact but still feel secure in declaring it the greatest video game of all time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Was Gunstar Heroes criminally underrated, or did everyone play that? None of my friends had ever heard of it at the time, but it kicked rear end.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Gunstar is one of the best games, yeah. They missed out

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I never played or heard about it originally but Gunstar Heroes is included in basically every single Genesis throwback collection now and is like the only thing playable/sorta fun still. It's super easy even though most of it's contemporary games still had the old school ruthless 'pump more quarters into the machine' mentality, so you could actually beat it, which was nice.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Glenn Quebec posted:

Phantasy Star games becoming proto-Destiny style games is the biggest gently caress you

:hai:

also some of the Shadowrun games until the steam ones

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Was Gunstar Heroes criminally underrated, or did everyone play that? None of my friends had ever heard of it at the time, but it kicked rear end.

The GBA Sequel, Gunstar Super Heroes, is really fun too. I'd say it's at least as good as the first one and there's some really neat classic Sega callbacks, like there's a cool helicopter level that plays exactly like Thunder Blade.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Im your aging dad who still pronounces it "Nintendoo"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ecco fans who haven’t seen this video - prepare for a wild ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xUvhUK8Dv8

Mobile posting so not expecting the link to embed properly. Sorry.

E: well holy poo poo

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
SegaCD had a DOS game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecWv3RdTE4A

I played the floppy on an Apple IIgs.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The only kids I knew who had it were rich pieces of poo poo, but yeah, sure, let's play some Shining Force when it loads.

Here's a Sega Channel loading screen and music to make you think about your old friends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_o_J9_S570

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ecco fans who haven’t seen this video - prepare for a wild ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xUvhUK8Dv8

Mobile posting so not expecting the link to embed properly. Sorry.

E: well holy poo poo
you know its bad when youre thinking please just be torture and not the other thing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ucVj1KChCw

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
^ I played the hell out of that as a kid. That’s a pretty good skyline of 90s Vancouver, too.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sonic CD was real good. Were there any Sonic games for the 32X?

Uh, kind of? Knuckles Chaotix was a game which played a lot like Sonic but given it was a spin-off I'm not sure it counts. There was a Sonic game in the works but it was cancelled before release.

lol but seriously posted:

bold statement: jank rear end master system sonic was actually p. good

It was pretty good and they also ported it to Game Gear. Same with Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos. The only thing I didn't like about the original was getting hit didn't make you explode into a fountain of rings, just one ring popped out and you could not recollect it.

Iirc Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos included ring explosions, but Sonic 2 on GG was really loving difficult because it was so hard to see projectiles.

lol at nintendo lovers:

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 16, 2019

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAhgTEJ47Q

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybTlARRFd4Y

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

The only Master System game that didn't suck rear end was Zillion, and that was just a rip-off of Impossible Mission anyway

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
the coolest thing about the master system was that it was 3d, i kinda wished sega kept up with that gimmick oh well.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

EA Sports posted:

the coolest thing about the master system was that it was 3d, i kinda wished sega kept up with that gimmick oh well.

lol these look like the glasses they gave me after I had lasik surgery

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Bones posted:

Okay, from what little it could decipher I guess it lets you have more slightly more than 64 colours on a still image? wow, real big achievement, I bet that would've made the games waaaaay more fun :laffo:

A Link to the Past? Who the gently caress needs it? Check out all the colours on this title screen! There's DOZENS of them! :eyepop:

SNES can show 256 at once out of a total of a couple thousand, but I guess that's almost as good

Yeah but do those extra colors on the snes really make a difference

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

username/av/post combo

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

not really, no

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Whole lotta people comparing hardware capabilities of the Genesis to the SNES when it should be compared to the NES - (Super Mario Brothers 3 was released after the Genesis came out lol). Genesis/Master System came out 2 whole years before the SNES. Streets of Rage games were awesome. There are a ton of terrible JRPGs for the SNES which nobody would ever want to play.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Whooping Crabs posted:

Whole lotta people comparing hardware capabilities of the Genesis to the SNES when it should be compared to the NES - (Super Mario Brothers 3 was released after the Genesis came out lol). Genesis/Master System came out 2 whole years before the SNES.

Yeah but by that logic the NES came out six years before the Genesis

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Whooping Crabs posted:

Whole lotta people comparing hardware capabilities of the Genesis to the SNES when it should be compared to the NES - (Super Mario Brothers 3 was released after the Genesis came out lol). Genesis/Master System came out 2 whole years before the SNES. Streets of Rage games were awesome. There are a ton of terrible JRPGs for the SNES which nobody would ever want to play.

This is a good read: https://segaretro.org/Blast_processing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Whooping Crabs posted:

the master system came out in 86, dweebus