Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I never played Bridge Commander, was it more than just a Star Trek flight sim? I feel like an X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter type game wouldn't really work that well in the ST universe. Less because it wouldn't be fun and more because I feel like that's not really what Star Trek is all about.

Yea it does have a single player campaign but from what I remember it wasn't very compelling and seemed there mostly for getting you from one battle to the next, which is where the game really shined. It's been a long rear end time since I played it though. I hear you about a Trek version of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter being missing the point a bit but if one wanted to play shootships with Trek lore craft then it's still the best option IMO.

I'm not sure of any modern Star Trek game that attempts to capture the non-shooty parts of Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Bridge Crew is one of my favorite video games when I can get my friends online with me. Really wish they would make another dlc withr a never ending mode.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yea it does have a single player campaign but from what I remember it wasn't very compelling and seemed there mostly for getting you from one battle to the next, which is where the game really shined. It's been a long rear end time since I played it though. I hear you about a Trek version of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter being missing the point a bit but if one wanted to play shootships with Trek lore craft then it's still the best option IMO.

I'm not sure of any modern Star Trek game that attempts to capture the non-shooty parts of Star Trek.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree a shooty Trek game would be fun.

But yeah IMO if you want an actual Trek game you really need some Stellaris, 4X-level poo poo.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely agree a shooty Trek game would be fun.

But yeah IMO if you want an actual Trek game you really need some Stellaris, 4X-level poo poo.

Well, there is the New Horizons mod for Stellaris. I haven't played it personally because I shelved Stellaris until I have the supercomputer required for a smooth late game experience, but it looks pretty comprehensive.

Edit: oops, you were the one that brought that up originally.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
My dream Trek game would be Bridge Commander's ship movement and combat combined with a Mount and Blade-esque persistent yet evolving world where I'm just following orders from Starfleet command and the game occasionally throws obstacles at me to turn my routine missions into TNG-esque boondoggles. "Captain, the containers of Bolian soy beans we are transporting contained a mutagenic fungus and now the crew is slowly devolving into Jello pudding".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kibbles n Shits posted:

There is some compelling moments in Bridge Commander but they really don't make the best use of the setting in terms of interacting with others. I'm not sure if it runs at all on Windows 10 but I do know at least up until a few years ago people were still making ship mods and visual mods for it, probably because there really isn't any other game like it for Star Trek at the moment, and Klingon Academy and Starfleet Academy are way too old (although Klingon Academy has one of the best damage visuals for a space shooter, though they don't really compare to Bridge Commander's combination of visuals and location-based damage)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kibbles n Shits posted:

My dream Trek game would be Bridge Commander's ship movement and combat combined with a Mount and Blade-esque persistent yet evolving world where I'm just following orders from Starfleet command and the game occasionally throws obstacles at me to turn my routine missions into TNG-esque boondoggles. "Captain, the containers of Bolian soy beans we are transporting contained a mutagenic fungus and now the crew is slowly devolving into Jello pudding".

That's cheating because every game could be improved by making it more like Mount and Blade

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love the Starfleet Academy Bridge Simulator and Star Trek TNG SNES games.

My perfect have would be like them except modern and fixing the balance and control problems

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
FTL is a pretty good Trek-but-not-Trek game.

Although when I play it, it feels specifically like it's based on "Cause And Effect" :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I'd like to see some variation on games like Battletech, where the missions are generated procedurally. Just give me a pool of like 200 alien races, 50 scenarios (first contact, pre-warp but their planet is about to explode, Mysterious Superpowers, neutral race caught between a faction war, etc.) and gray area win/loss conditions and I'd be pretty happy.

e: so basically some unholy amalgam of M&B, FTL and Stellaris I guess

e2: and maybe some Xcom-style crew management

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I love the Starfleet Academy Bridge Simulator and Star Trek TNG SNES games.

My perfect have would be like them except modern and fixing the balance and control problems

Starfleet Academy Bridge Simulator was a fun take on Trek games and I really enjoyed it, but then again I was the kind of nerdy kid who thought having to follow proper procedures for poo poo was awesome gameplay. I enjoyed the TNG game as well.

I remember trying to play the DS9 game. I remember being Sisko and running around on the station punching Cardassians (I think). I got bored of it quickly. I don't think Star Trek was ever a good fit for a Final Fight style arcade brawler.

Edit: Not as much of a punch-em-up as I remember but I think this video about summarizes it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZej2P4rPhQ. You play as Sisko and you run around the station doing god knows what.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 16, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
There was always Starfleet Command and its sequels. It was based on Starfleet Battles, so it was probably more shooty than Star Trek "should" be, but I still liked it.

And I second the Stellaris New Horizons mod, which is constantly in a state of improvement. I mean, even unmodded, Stellaris is very "Star Trek".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheCenturion posted:

And if you can track down a copy, Klingon Academy is baller.

Good luck getting it to run on Windows 10. Klingon Academy was coded with the blood of the wretched and the damned.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

I know, those have been my favorite orville episodes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

I know, those have been my favorite orville episodes.

I mean I know you're not saying this but I've seen it in Youtube comments, and complaining that a Dolly Parton song ruins an episode of a Star Trek show is like complaining that a baseball game ruins an episode of a Star Trek show

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Bridge Crew is one of my favorite video games when I can get my friends online with me. Really wish they would make another dlc withr a never ending mode.

My wife was seriously entertaining the idea of getting a PSVR just so we could play Bridge Crew together. It's hit and miss with random, but playing with people you know in VR is fantastic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, goody, H&I is showing Birthright Part II tonight.

I know what I'm not watching. :barf:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Timby posted:

Oh, goody, H&I is showing Birthright Part II tonight.

I know what I'm not watching. :barf:

BBC America's got you covered!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Where is the Star Trek dating simulator that's gonna make poo poo loads of money

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
who will you take to Star Trek prom?

- Geordi ((blushes!!))
- Wesley crusher
- cat woman from TAS you drat furry
- Commander Sisko (single dad!)
- nog- soft baby
- dr Pulaski
- Seska
- neelix
- chancellor Martok

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

- Geordi ((blushes!!))
- Wesley crusher
- nog- soft baby
- dr Pulaski
- Seska
- neelix
- chancellor Martok

gently caress- Quark. Marry- Sisko. Kill- Neelix.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Pick posted:

I would date The Borg.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Exocomps.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Martok.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

The Exocomps.

It has replicated the perfect tool to bring its task to completion

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick posted:

- Geordi ((blushes!!))
- Wesley crusher
- nog- soft baby
- dr Pulaski
- Seska
- neelix
- chancellor Martok

Seska's a bajoran chick right? And her only crime is thinking Voyagers crew is a bunch of idiots so she better get with the garbage Klingons to survive? I can get down with that

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

A Chancellor in the streets, a General in the sheets

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Objectively the correct choice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Leeta :swoon:

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

how could you do rom like that you HOMEWRECKER?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Seska's a bajoran chick right?

Cardassian operative genetically altered to look Bajoran to infiltrate and betray the Maquis.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Cardassian operative genetically altered to look Bajoran to infiltrate and betray the Maquis.

Adopted Kazon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

Even better. She hates the crew of Voyager AND the Maquis? It's a turn on for her when I'm curt and dismissive?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

Objectively the correct choice.

Didn’t even have to think about it tbh

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Where's all the Pulaski love at? Fine, she and I will be getting wasted on poison tea while you're dying in a fiery car wreck straight out of a 50s ballad because General One Eye can't see the whole road.

EDIT - All my awareness of what goes on at "prom" comes from movies and old sitcoms.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

IMO though New Horizons, if it worked perfectly, would be the ultimate ST game

I think it has the same kind of problem as base Stellaris, though, where your science ships are rarely exposed to danger and are entirely distinct from your combat ships. To get that more Star Trek-y feel you'd need more of a play reason to have your top-of-the-line vessels spread out like science ships rather than clumped together in doomfleets.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I really want to get into a star trek video game but Star Trek Online is the best most recent one and its a horrible pile of poo where all I did for an hour was shoot klinks and borgs. What the poo poo

The saddest thing about STO is that if it wasn't so obsessive about pushing the F2P part of it (complete with big messages that pop up on the screen whenever lootbox whales get a rare thing) and if there was some way to automate the stupidly overdone amount of abilities they give you, it might at least be a nice social spaceship dress-up simulator.

Pick posted:

- Geordi ((blushes!!))
- Wesley crusher
- nog- soft baby
- dr Pulaski
- Seska
- neelix
- chancellor Martok

- Morn

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Roadie posted:

I think it has the same kind of problem as base Stellaris, though, where your science ships are rarely exposed to danger and are entirely distinct from your combat ships. To get that more Star Trek-y feel you'd need more of a play reason to have your top-of-the-line vessels spread out like science ships rather than clumped together in doomfleets.

hohoho friend base Stellaris has about a thousand problems

combat is deffo not that game's strong suit, especially, but I totally get what you're saying (I just like ragging on Stellaris [I really loving hate how war resolutions work])

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Roadie posted:

Right. Stellaris hard codes the dichotomy between science ships and warships that the Federation ships in Star Trek just dont have.

Theres still a lot of good things to say about the mod, though. The UFP mechanics are great and pretty much make the Federation this multicultural diplomatic powerhouse. The Borg and their assimilation mechanics are cool, also.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roadie posted:

The saddest thing about STO is that if it wasn't so obsessive about pushing the F2P part of it (complete with big messages that pop up on the screen whenever lootbox whales get a rare thing) and if there was some way to automate the stupidly overdone amount of abilities they give you, it might at least be a nice social spaceship dress-up simulator.

You can turn those messages off, and it's easy as gently caress to simultaneously bind every power in the game to spacebar, so you just mash one button while flying the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tunicate posted:

you just mash one button while flying the ship.

Ah yes the Worf navigation method