Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D. Ebdrup posted:

Reports, deaths, exaggerated, et cetera.
I am slightly miffed that it seems like an ever-increasing amount of people think the BSDs are just a flavour of Linux. In my experience, it just tends to run forever when you set it to do something.. It does figure in the 2019 StackOverflow survey, so that's something?
I have been running it for almost 20 years, though.
It's a genericised brandname at this point. You can pretty much always assume that when someone says "it's a flavour of Linux" they actually mean "it's a Unix-family OS with some differences that enrage me".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a genericised brandname at this point. You can pretty much always assume that when someone says "it's a flavour of Linux" they actually mean "it's a Unix-family OS with some differences that enrage me".
I'm not sure why this is though, because when I started using computers I got my first shell account on a SunOS machine and have spent the interveaning years on everything from Xinuos over Solaris to HP-UX and even a bit of Tru64.
Sure, it takes some adjusting, but that's why the OS' ship with man-pages. Of course, that's an issue where Linux seems.. less than stellar, so perhaps it's because people aren't used to man-pages?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
freebsd is garbage because the iproute2 commands don't exist also bsd coreutils

use a real kernel you weirdo

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

A ticket came in:

"My Gmail connector doesn't work in outlook, I use my gmail account for business quite often. PLEASE ASSIST!!!"

:negative:

Hahahahahaha

Marketing or a Sales person, or is it one of the support engineers?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

kensei posted:

Hahahahahaha

Sales of course.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Methanar posted:

freebsd is garbage because the iproute2 commands don't exist also bsd coreutils

use a real kernel you weirdo
Nice meltdown, buddy.

Curiously enough, iproute2 is based on API-compatibility with JunOS, which runs FreeBSD (and incidentally, an appliance CLI does not belong on a Unix-like). And iproute2 was was a POLA violation and caused many ABI and KBI compatibility problems. Plus, the only reason Linux uses it now is that nobody thought "oh hey maybe it's not the best idea in the world if we let one of the core utilities not have an active maintainer for more than a decade, because that won't come back to bite us at all". :allears:

Incidentally, iproute2 is also the perfect example of the vendor lock-in; RedHat adopted it, so everyone had to follow.
No matter what you think about System500, it's also a perfect demonstration that there is not as much variety in Linux now as there has been, which seems a real pity because that's one of Linux' biggest strengths.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I agree 100%. But I have faith. The motherboard on that PC died last week and manufacturing got a replacement from ebay, swapped the CPU, and got it all up and running without any IT involvement. I was impressed.

Find the kid who did that and put him in on the professional courtesy loop. He might come in clutch again. Or he might go cowboy someday and gently caress something up. You'll prefer to know him, either way.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kensei posted:

Hahahahahaha

Government employee is also not outside the realm of possiblity

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, that would be a private server.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No, that would be a private server.

Because government employees never use personal email to conduct business

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We were hit yesterday by a spoofed 'secure' email from an employee. I am a regional IT admin and do not have access to exchange online to run powershell at all, so all I could do was forward the instructions to the home office help desk (offshore) and wait for them to do the needful.

The needful was never done.

We had probably 40 employees I know of who clicked and tried to enter their O365 creds into an 'Adobe' site. :sigh: They all get changed passwords, scans and to redo security training!

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
This week our head of HR responded to an email from our ex CEO asking to update his direct deposit information. Then shortly after she informed us that she believes it may be a scam.

He's our ex CEO because he's been dead for two years.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

siggy2021 posted:

Good job keeping on top of things. He can expect a solid middle score on his review, if CEOs had reviews.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

siggy2021 posted:

This week our head of HR responded to an email from our ex CEO asking to update his direct deposit information. Then shortly after she informed us that she believes it may be a scam.

Maybe he has :ghost: unfinished business :ghost:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That Dang Lizard posted:

Maybe he has :ghost: unfinished business :ghost:

They're a CEO, so that would require them actually contributing to the business in the first place.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreenNight posted:

I got a request to clone two IDE drives running DOS that controls mission critical manufacturing equipment at our manufacturing facilities.

I'm working on a virtualization solution for systems like that. Sure, saying "image system, run in Quemu/KVM" is easy, but somebody needs to make an iptables forwarding rule for every domain controller. All hail clonezilla. All hail bash over "I'm not copying and pasting out of that file 20 times"

GreenNight posted:

I was talking to the Acronis dudes via their website and they told me that they don't support FAT16. Maybe it does and the guy from India was feeding me a line.

They might not. They went from a consumer solution to enterprisey backup system in about a year. I've spent a fair amount of time this year working with the Acronis Advanced 12.5 non-public API and I can say this: they're doing good software, but they have cut a corner here and there.

D. Ebdrup posted:

No matter what you think about System500, it's also a perfect demonstration that there is not as much variety in Linux now as there has been, which seems a real pity because that's one of Linux' biggest strengths.

System what now ? I googled "System500" and got synthesizer stuff from Roland. System400 got generic AS/400 links. So what's this System 500 stuff all about then ?

Eikre posted:

Find the kid who did that and put him in on the professional courtesy loop. He might come in clutch again. Or he might go cowboy someday and gently caress something up. You'll prefer to know him, either way.

Having a knowledgeable pair of hands at a remote site is golden.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mllaneza posted:

System what now ? I googled "System500" and got synthesizer stuff from Roland. System400 got generic AS/400 links. So what's this System 500 stuff all about then ?

Roman numeral D = 500, it's SystemD.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eikre posted:

Not a kid. 55 year old industrial engineer. He said he did it because I was on vacation. I need to go on vacation more.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nielsm posted:

Roman numeral D = 500, it's SystemD.

Strong avatar post combo :v:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

mllaneza posted:

Add in a really well done JAMF setup

I think I found your flaw, not one of my previous (or current) bosses would approve a purchase that would bring macs under the rule of IT.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I discovered a workflow in finance that involves intentionally renaming a csv to xls so that excel does not parse it correctly in order for them to run a macro.

If you open it as a csv, the macro fails.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Excel for some reason has a horrible workflow for opening CSV files and it seems like blind luck whether you get the opportunity to let it know what data types are in each column to avoid it turning a list of phone numbers into 1.23E+06 or whatever.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

LibreOffice unironically handles csv files better than excel.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

yeah I ran into excel and CSV stupidity last night and was too tired to deal with it so I went to bed instead of working.;

I didn't find 10 bux but I slept well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It is profoundly difficult to get Excel to keep the leading zeroes in a CSV it's opening. Even if it's the program that created the CSV in the first place.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powershell, for all your .csv needs !

Or awk.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mllaneza posted:

Powershell, for all your .csv needs !

Or awk.

Unless your company bans Powershell on all endpoints! :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've read that just renaming a .csv to .txt and opening it in Excel will get you to pick the data types every time because it doesn't even try to guess. Which is probably going to change my life.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It also acts totally different if you open a workbook and Import a .csv opposed to just opening a .csv file by double clicking it FOR REASONS.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Relentless posted:

It also acts totally different if you open a workbook and Import a .csv opposed to just opening a .csv file by double clicking it FOR REASONS.

Probably a totally different handler for each type of opening operation.

You know.

FOR REASONS.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

CSV gets extra fun if you live in a country with decimal comma and people just copy/paste their stuff into files in notepad and then wonder why it broke.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Geemer posted:

CSV gets extra fun if you live in a country with decimal comma and people just copy/paste their stuff into files in notepad and then wonder why it broke.

I have spent so much effort stopping people putting the units in spreadsheet columns that I just don't bother now and they can enjoy not being able to manipulate the data in any way.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

Excel for some reason has a horrible workflow for opening CSV files and it seems like blind luck whether you get the opportunity to let it know what data types are in each column to avoid it turning a list of phone numbers into 1.23E+06 or whatever.

I work with a bunch of codes in excel in the format of ##E### and I'd say it's 50/50 shot whether or not Excel actually listens to me that it's text and not a number that needs to be converted.

I have better luck just throwing an apostrophe in front of everything.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Oh dear.

https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/1118478714621313024?s=21

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

I have spent so much effort stopping people putting the units in spreadsheet columns that I just don't bother now and they can enjoy not being able to manipulate the data in any way.

Guess none of those people took a modern science class where graphs were part of the report you needed to do.

Or maybe they did and forgot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

iospace posted:

Guess none of those people took a modern science class where graphs were part of the report you needed to do.

Or maybe they did and forgot.
You can make graphs using a sub-section of an excel sheet. There's no reason to expect people who learned it recently(-ish) to know that there's a problem caused by labling the data in a way that makes sense for their one use that one time for every application.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Wibla posted:

LibreOffice unironically handles csv files better than excel.

Yes this exactly... LO pops up a import box whenever opening a CSV that lets you define column formats, so that things like Dates, numbers with leading zeros, etc.. get pulled in correctly.

LO is also good for opening corrupt files that Word/Excel would otherwise not attempt to open.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Protip - Office documents are just zip files

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

Protip - Office documents are just zip files

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yep.. from 2007 onward I believe... The "x" formats, i.e. docx, xlsx, etc... are actually zip files. Open a DOCX in something like 7Zip and you'll see some sub folders and XML files. The actual content of the document itself is inside the "Word" folder as document.xml with formatting, styles, etc.. stored in other files.

On a side note, I recently got sent a Apple .pages file to open from HR. Someone submitted their resume in this format. Absolutely nothing seems to support opening this format, not even LibreOffice which usually supports everything.