Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I don’t know bout y’all but having a mid engined Corvette that starts at 500HP in the era of CUV hell and emissions requirements is loving incredible and GM gets my respect for even attempting this

I have no idea how the boomer jort population is gonna respond to this but goddamn I’m psyched to start seeing these on the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Franco Caution posted:

Im super pumped to see these sitting on dealer lots once the initial hype dies off.
The C7 started getting into expensive territory with options. The C8 is going to be even worse.

There are still a lot of people who buy manual C7s too.
So Manual gear box is gone, room to store poo poo is gone, the ability to have less of a blindspot will be gone, and its going to be expensive once you start ticking some options.

But hey, we get to have a few months of magazine headlines with stuff like "you can save $100,000 on the price of a supercar!" and "GM finally did it!/ Car of the Year!"

I guess the C7 market will get interesting. Either the prices will tank, or people wont be all that into the C8, which will drive the price of the used C7s up.
But it'll get around the Nürburgring 2 seconds faster and the magazines and bench racers will go nuts.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

By far the most offensively awful part of the Nissan I drove was the heinous CVT, so going with a manual transmission would seem to be a step in the correct direction.

Versas have always had manuals, the first generation even had a 6 speed, they later downgraded it to a 5 speed for the generational change because that's the way Nissan rolls.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I live literally right down the road from the Corvette assembly plant. I've seen several (un-camod) prototypes drive down the road to the testing track tons of times. I know, I should be the first to be sharing info with y'all & all the other big news peeps like Jalopnik; but I just couldn't help seeing everyone either jizz themselves or claim outright hatred of the new design.

But that isn't even the best part...there's new electric charging stations they recently installed at the Corvette Museum which is literally a half-mile from my house. If you want proof let me know. I'll drive up there and take pics just for my SA buds.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

dk2m posted:

I don’t know bout y’all but having a mid engined Corvette that starts at 500HP in the era of CUV hell and emissions requirements is loving incredible and GM gets my respect for even attempting this

I have no idea how the boomer jort population is gonna respond to this but goddamn I’m psyched to start seeing these on the road
Are there even literally any FWD sport coupe things like a Geo Storm or :airquote: real Mitsu Eclipse around anymore? Like the market for actual exciting cars seems to have tanked, and near as I can tell the market for exciting bodywork on bland family car chassis went with it... never mind exciting versions of bland family poo poo.

Come to think of it, forget sport-coupe styling, what FWD two-doors are even still around?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Friar Zucchini posted:

Come to think of it, forget sport-coupe styling, what FWD two-doors are even still around?

Honda Civic Coupe? Mini Cooper?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Something Offal posted:

Rental car companies buy a metric asston of Versas every year. They are usually the most common car on the lot for obvious reason($). Every time I go to rent a car for business it's a hunt to get off the airport bus quickly and find the not-Versa before there are none left.

A rental versa was what shifted me from “eh, it’s a rental I don’t care what I get” to someone much pickier. The “eventually” 0-60 time was one thing, but I felt like I was flooring the thing trying to maintain speed when going uphill.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Every time I see a Mini and think it looks like a pretty cool car I remember the ridiculous options pricing and reliability ratings

The new Mazda 3 is frightfully tempting tho

And GM had to change up the Corvette since the old man demographic who specifically want a Corvette is dying off, leaving a market of people who want that supercar bench racing performance, and why else would you buy one over a Cayman S

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 14, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, that's not terrible for the cheapest car you can buy; this is good for the people that end up in one.

Aww you don't have the Dacia Sandero?

Bad news!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dk2m posted:

Same, I'm actually kind of excited for this car. For my purposes it is just as (im)practical as the C7.

Anecdotally I feel like I see a lot of younger guys, and it's almost always guys, driving Corvettes. This might be because I'm in the city and all the old dudes live way out in the burbs by a golf course where their Corvette sits in the garage 360 days per year. It could be the car that starts a downward trend in the buying age. The only bad part about this is it's like some sort of competition by the aforementioned old men to see who can drive theirs the least so there are a lot of really low mileage used Corvettes out there.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A local dealership has several regular Stingrays with the top of the line trim for $50k. Basically $25k off. I think it's a screaming deal if you're looking for something like that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Devyl posted:

But that isn't even the best part...there's new electric charging stations they recently installed at the Corvette Museum which is literally a half-mile from my house. If you want proof let me know. I'll drive up there and take pics just for my SA buds.

Wait, why would that be hard to believe? Are only people in Corvettes allowed to visit the Corvette Museum?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

davebo posted:

Wait, why would that be hard to believe? Are only people in Corvettes allowed to visit the Corvette Museum?

No, but only Corvette owners get to park in the front row.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
How do they carry their Hoveround chair

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

In their Sierra Denali, just like every other Corvette owner. Oh, the vette itself? That gets trailered in, can't fit an orthopedic cushion on those sport seats.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I guess they don't have an existing recognizable brand to milk that's higher than the Corvette, but they could've called it the Frigate or something.
The Destroyer

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

MrYenko posted:

There was quite a lot of speculation for quite awhile that they would run the front-engined Stingray line alongside the mid-engine line for at least a few model years to test the waters.

They arguably already do. It's called the Camaro.

Franco Caution posted:

I guess the C7 market will get interesting. Either the prices will tank, or people wont be all that into the C8, which will drive the price of the used C7s up.

I'll bet money on the C8's announcement being the Corvette's "911 moment" when it comes to the used market. The older 911s were always going to be mildly expensive, but they hockeysticked into stupidtown the day Porsche announced the manual GT3 was being dropped. Same thing happened to all Lotus cars made in the last ~25 years, which instantly gained $10K+ in resale the day Lotus announced the Elise/Exige was being pulled from the US market. Interesting C4 and C5 variants are already gaining and C6s worth keeping will be at/near bottom the day the C8 launches. The C7s are new enough to be having standard depreciation, but expect resale values to stay higher than expected.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 14, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

EnergizerFellow posted:

I'll bet money on the C8's announcement being the Corvette's "911 moment" when it comes to the used market. The older 911s were always going to be mildly expensive, but they hockeysticked into stupidtown the day Porsche announced the manual GT3 was being dropped. Same thing happened to all Lotus cars made in the last ~25 years, which instantly gained $10K+ in resale the day Lotus announced the Elise/Exige was being pulled from the US market. Interesting C4 and C5 variants are already gaining and C6s worth keeping will be at/near bottom the day the C8 launches. The C7s are new enough to be having standard depreciation, but expect resale values to stay higher than expected.

The olds who buy Corvettes and then don't drive them have been expecting this for every generation since the C2. I mean it might be different this time but eh

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EnergizerFellow posted:

Meh. Even the 6th gen Camaros were considerably larger and heavier than a base Corvette. Corvette going mid engine makes a lot of room for Camaro to get silly where it used to get kneecapped so as not to steal Corvette sales, though.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

The olds who buy Corvettes and then don't drive them have been expecting this for every generation since the C2. I mean it might be different this time but eh

While it's true they've been waiting for that long, I think it may actually happen this time, at least for the C5 and newer, possibly the late C4s.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Personally, I'm waiting for the Corvette's 9/11 moment

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Hairy Busey posted:

A second Corvette has just hit the Old Country Buffet

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hairy Busey posted:

It already happened when the early opened up under the Museum and swallowed the cars.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

incels interlinked posted:

They look a little better in person but that isn't saying much. Chevy really dropped the ball with this generation

At last they did finally fix the stupid wheel opening shape

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hairy Busey posted:

Bowling Green Massacre but for real this time

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

It already happened when the early opened up under the Museum and swallowed the cars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

redgubbinz posted:

I laughed entirely too hard at this.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

redgubbinz posted:

:911:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lexus LM

:chloe:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Does it come with attachments for getting into corners and under furniture?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Better looking than the JDM Toyota Alphard at least

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

would look ten times better if it were monochromatic.....and those wheels, ugh.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Whomever styled that needs to be fired.

Preferably with a blowtorch.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Better looking than the JDM Toyota Alphard at least

You are out of your mind.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
They're both really really bad, even for minivans.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Vulgar, repulsive, hideous. It's like someone said, "draw a vehicle that resembles the result of norovirus". It's both poo poo and vomit spewing out the front and back simultaneously.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Japan luxo-vans are the same as American pickup trucks - the whole point is to look as imposing and ugly as possible.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Is that for the North American market? I saw a bunch of ugly French vans in Europe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Charles posted:

Is that for the North American market? I saw a bunch of ugly French vans in Europe.

No. Asia only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

this is so absurd it actually owns