Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Sid Vicious posted:

Furry fight

god the knuckles fight was such a nothing. he went down like a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I had that master system rapid fire switch, it utterly broke some games. Good times.

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
Rocket Knight Adventures was way cooler than sonic anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtId7oQz8-s

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Sonic CD is a lot like Sonic 1 in that it is much slower and more deliberate than the later games (especially the “sonic rush” games for game boy advance that were great). Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still my favorite(as I like the faster pace but they still have interesting routes that require precision and exploration and that music :swoon:) but sonic 1 and Sonic CD are still great and equally deserving of praise. The people who try to talk about this nerd poo poo “objectively” are huge loving nerds that should probably re-examine why they care so much that someone else likes a different one.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You can hate the music but it bridged the gap between the older Genesis games and the newer 3d ones, which for all their flaws tended to have great music.
Not really, the sonic adventure games are closer to the mega drive games is music. Hell, the guy who did some of music for Sonic 3 & Knuckles Chaotix did some of the music for the adventure games.
Again, I didn't say I hated the music, it just didn't fit sonic games of that time.

quote:

And I don't know what to tell you about the level designs. The game got rave reviews, the fact that there's 4 different and unique versions of EVERY level is pretty cool, and the only time I ever felt the game was too slow was when I couldn't build up the speed to activate a time gate.
The only review I remember of Sonic CD was from an un/official sega magazine that said it was "the same as other sonic games" and gave it a 92%. I don't really think the reviews were accurate and there weren't many for Sonic CD. The levels are poorly designed for sonic games, where it would repeatedly take speed away from you and throw in hazards wherever they felt like. And then there was the task of find all the time machines in the past which slows down the entire game to look for it in each past level. The time-travel level altering gimmick is a cool idea but when each level has that same crappy design it doesn't really work.
Sonic games were about running fast and getting through an obstacle course with a few branching paths. Sonic CD isn't that.

1redflag posted:

Sonic CD is a lot like Sonic 1 in that it is much slower and more deliberate than the later games.
Sonic 1 is a lot faster and has more deliberate level design than Sonic CD. I'll stop now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I appreciate the fact that you're making a legit argument, at least. Funny enough the first time I played Sonic CD was the 2011 re-release, and coming off stuff like the Sonic Rush games, you'd think I would have been particularly sensitive to the lack of speed :shrug: It just got the point where there were enough time gates where I had zero speed built up, and I was like "well there's gotta be a route I'm not seeing to get me there" and usually I was right.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I hope that the Sonic movie gets a game tie-in

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

SpaceAceJase posted:

I hope that the Sonic movie gets a game tie-in

When I was a kid I wondered why Nintendo didn't make 'Super Mario Bros.: The Movie: The Game' with digitized graphics like Mortal Kombat. Thinking about it now, that idea still kind of rules. God, I love that movie.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

1redflag posted:

Sonic CD is a lot like Sonic 1 in that it is much slower and more deliberate than the later games (especially the “sonic rush” games for game boy advance that were great). Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still my favorite(as I like the faster pace but they still have interesting routes that require precision and exploration and that music :swoon:) but sonic 1 and Sonic CD are still great and equally deserving of praise. The people who try to talk about this nerd poo poo “objectively” are huge loving nerds that should probably re-examine why they care so much that someone else likes a different one.

Sonic 1 and CD share a ton of developers from Sega Japan

Sonic 2 was developed by Sega America

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Mr. Bones posted:

When I was a kid I wondered why Nintendo didn't make 'Super Mario Bros.: The Movie: The Game' with digitized graphics like Mortal Kombat. Thinking about it now, that idea still kind of rules. God, I love that movie.

There is Street Fighter : The Movie : The Game with digitised graphics.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Sonic 1 and CD share a ton of developers from Sega Japan

Sonic 2 was developed by Sega America
Last post on this I swear.
Sonic CD is to Sonic what Super Mario Land is to Super Mario Bros. It's someone else's take on the character. Yuji Naka (and most of Sonic Team) wasn't involved with Sonic CD but worked on Sonic 2, in the same way Miyamoto didn't work on the Super Mario Land games on the gameboy and only on the mainline games iirc.

(Course this means jack poo poo these days since all the games have been handed over to various different teams over the years.)

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Sonic CD has good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73nZoAcWpbQ

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

OP is this you?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bill Posters posted:

OP is this you?

that dude rules though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxPbgnO81sQ

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Dogmeat posted:

From just looking at it, the Genesis version was way better. But yeah the SNES version was a much better game. Same with Jurassic Park. Not that the Genesis versions were bad, the SNES versions were just better games with more to do.

Disagree. Generally, SNES was the better version. With regard to Aladdin & Jurassic Park, the SNES got the lesser versions. Aladdin on SNES was an apple collecting game. Genesis version didn't have that goal and was better for it. IIRC, it was a port got both consoles and the Genesis one was better done, even looking (maybe sounding?) better. Flashback was the same kinda deal.

Jurassic Park, well, there are 2 or 3 on each console, but all you need to know is that Genesis had an exclusive version called "Rampage Edition" which let you play as a raptor as well as Grant.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

For some reason Genesis music is inextricably linked in my head to Nine Inch Nails but I have no idea why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhvza-_2ox8

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

fakeaccount posted:

And by "it," you mean pussy

And knuckles

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
what you forgot op is sega tv that poo poo was great. i was a nintendo baby but my neighbour had a genisis and had sega tv and he basically had all the games because of sega tv letting you have like 30 games.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

YagotmeIdidit posted:

Last post on this I swear.
Sonic CD is to Sonic what Super Mario Land is to Super Mario Bros. It's someone else's take on the character. Yuji Naka (and most of Sonic Team) wasn't involved with Sonic CD but worked on Sonic 2, in the same way Miyamoto didn't work on the Super Mario Land games on the gameboy and only on the mainline games iirc.

(Course this means jack poo poo these days since all the games have been handed over to various different teams over the years.)

how on earth is Sonic CD's someone else's take on the character when the game's director was the person who actually created Sonic the Hedgehog

Naka was half of the major pair that designed Sonic. He was the programmer, not the character designer. Ohshima (the character designer) stayed with Sega Japan and didn't move to STI for Sonic 2 with Naka and Yashuhara

Ohshima stayed and directed Sonic CD. It's a different take on Sonic, but equally as valid as Sonic 2.

this is in an entire different bucket then your SMB/SML comparison, SMB was EAD/R&D4 and SML was R&D1 and were run by completely different staffs and directors. (EAD was Miyamoto and R&D1 was Yokoi)

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Sonic CD's main premise is interesting and poorly implemented on the solid platforming engine they used in Sonic 1. Knuckles Chaotix is a bad idea poorly implemented. The only Sonic games worth playing are the Genesis ones, and even then not Spinball or 3d Blast.

E: I heard Rush was good. Also the one on the Doom engine is pretty sweet.

RossMan4Life fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 17, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RossMan4Life posted:

Sonic CD's main premise is interesting and poorly implemented on the solid platforming engine they used in Sonic 1. Knuckles Chaotix is a bad idea poorly implemented. The only Sonic games worth playing are the Genesis ones, and even then not Spinball or 3d Blast.

I remember Spinball being a pretty decent pinball game, but it's been a long time

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
While you nerds were arguing about Sonic, me and the cool kids were stealing mad dog from the corner store and playing Road Rash and Madden.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Laslow posted:

While you nerds were arguing about Sonic, me and the cool kids were stealing mad dog from the corner store and playing Road Rash and Madden.
Did the dog bite you?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

RossMan4Life posted:

The only Sonic games worth playing are the Genesis ones, and even then not Spinball or 3d Blast.

M A N I A

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did the dog bite you?
Well Bryce puked all over Devin’s CD jacket and they started fighting. It’s gonna smell like pineapple and Cheetos forever.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RossMan4Life posted:

Disagree. Generally, SNES was the better version. With regard to Aladdin & Jurassic Park, the SNES got the lesser versions. Aladdin on SNES was an apple collecting game. Genesis version didn't have that goal and was better for it. IIRC, it was a port got both consoles and the Genesis one was better done, even looking (maybe sounding?) better. Flashback was the same kinda deal.

Jurassic Park, well, there are 2 or 3 on each console, but all you need to know is that Genesis had an exclusive version called "Rampage Edition" which let you play as a raptor as well as Grant.

I'm pretty sure Flashback on the SNES is considered the definitive one. What made the Genesis one better?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Hi Sega rockers and Nintendo fanboy losers. I wanted to take this time/post to tell you more about how Sega kicks Nintendo's rear end at basically everything and give you even more evidence of why Sega is the best!

Controllers
Some of you jerks complained that you had to press the 'Start' button in Street Fighter II to change from punch mode to kick mode. This was the best way of doing it because A gave you low power, B gave you medium power and C gave you high power. This gave you more control over your attacks and only a brain damaged toddler couldn't press Start between combos to change attack modes. What are you, stupid?? Oh, you are? well that's why they made this 6 button controller - for idiots and nintendo players like you. So now you have no reason to complain because they made a controller with even more buttons! What do you have to say about that??

For arcade go-ers, they made a cool arcade stick which was great for fighting games because you could hone your skills at home then beat all the losers at the arcade. Trust me I would know, I spent countless nights at the London Trocadero and SEGA WORLD fighting idiots like you except I never had to pay because we had a winner-stays-on unwritten rule and anyone who wanted to fight me had to pay their money into the machine, which was stupid because it was basically them just throwing money away lol. anyway the Power Stick looked like this

and dont worry if you were a nintendork, they made a six button version too!!

Multiplayer
Another cool thing they made was a multitap so you could play games with your friends and you could beat all their sorry asses at games that supported more than 2 players. Yeah nintendo made one for the NES but it looked like 1981 took a poo poo on it, and the Sega one was way cooler. I mean look at it, its so elegant it just fits in with the kick rear end Sega aesthetic.

Not only that but some games came with a multitap built in!! This meant that Sega saved you money, too, idiot. This also meant you didn't have to beg your mom or dad for a multitap because your game had it built in, which made you look like an appreciative kid. How many Nintendo games had that, huh? I had Micro Machines but no one wanted to play me competitively because they knew i'd kick their rear end every single race

Game Cards
Soemthing else you might not have known because you were too busy with your head up marios fat rear end is that Sega had cool technology even before the Megadrive/Genesis. For example the Master System had the option to take either cartridges or game cards. So Sega knew that smaller was better even back then! So you could take a bunch of games with you somewhere just in your pocket and it wouldn't take up loads of space. The card slot also meant that you could store other poo poo inside your console like your Blockbuster card for when it came to renting games, so you could always find it when you were going to go there to try out something new. I personally used to keep my dads Visa card in there until he shouted at me one day because he couldn't find it and then i reminded him that technically it was saving his money because he couldn't spend it and he agreed, so again Sega saves you money over Nintendo

3D capabilities
Someone in this cool thread already mentioned the 3D glasses that Sega made too for their 8 bit console the Master System. They were hella cool, too, and styled like all the sunglasses kids would wear in all the latest movies. So you could look cool AND play your games in 3D so it was a win/win when you think about it. This poo poo really worked too, it gave the effect that the Virtual Boy had except it wasn't just red and poo poo, they were in proper colors and you could still use your original console rather than spending loads of money on a new one!! they were totally ahead of their time and did it well, too, unlike craptendo!

now maybe you are beginning to see why Sega does what Nintendon't, but if you dont then don't worry because there are still loads of more cool poo poo they made that I still haven't posted about so watch out!!

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but could you play ZZT or Scorched Earth on the Sega geneimsi? Didn't think so op

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

Controllers
Some of you jerks complained that you had to press the 'Start' button in Street Fighter II to change from punch mode to kick mode. This was the best way of doing it because A gave you low power, B gave you medium power and C gave you high power. This gave you more control over your attacks and only a brain damaged toddler couldn't press Start between combos to change attack modes. What are you, stupid?? Oh, you are? well that's why they made this 6 button controller - for idiots and nintendo players like you. So now you have no reason to complain because they made a controller with even more buttons! What do you have to say about that??

I say why the hell should I have to buy an extra controller to play a game properly :colbert:

e: you know who else updated their controller to play games the right way? That's right, Nintendo, with the New 3DS. :boom:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

Not only that but some games came with a multitap built in!! This meant that Sega saved you money, too, idiot. This also meant you didn't have to beg your mom or dad for a multitap because your game had it built in, which made you look like an appreciative kid. How many Nintendo games had that, huh? I had Micro Machines but no one wanted to play me competitively because they knew i'd kick their rear end every single race

lmao the Genesis so bad you literally have to promote a game called Super Skidmarks to try and salvage its reputation

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I'm pretty sure Flashback on the SNES is considered the definitive one. What made the Genesis one better?

Nah, technically the 3DO was the best port, it was originally a PC game IIRC. The version differences on it are weird with the cinematics, obviously, but like music and gameplay/handling and everything else is all over the place. I think they outsourced the ports with the exception of the Genesis version, which is why it's preferred. This game's got a ton of comparative videos and whatnot, people must have been really upset about their Jaguars or something.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich

star war beta max posted:

Yeah but could you play ZZT or Scorched Earth on the Sega geneimsi? Didn't think so op

Literally installed Scorched Earth like an hour ago. Tank Bomber is it's predecessor.

Scorched 3d exists. It's passable if you like free artillery games.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

Soemthing else you might not have known because you were too busy with your head up marios fat rear end is that Sega had cool technology even before the Megadrive/Genesis. For example the Master System had the option to take either cartridges or game cards. So Sega knew that smaller was better even back then! So you could take a bunch of games with you somewhere just in your pocket and it wouldn't take up loads of space. The card slot also meant that you could store other poo poo inside your console like your Blockbuster card for when it came to renting games, so you could always find it when you were going to go there to try out something new. I personally used to keep my dads Visa card in there until he shouted at me one day because he couldn't find it and then i reminded him that technically it was saving his money because he couldn't spend it and he agreed, so again Sega saves you money over Nintendo

get rekt scrub

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I say why the hell should I have to buy an extra controller to play a game properly :colbert:

e: you know who else updated their controller to play games the right way? That's right, Nintendo, with the New 3DS. :boom:

Only if you were a baby and couldn't deal with pressing a button to change attack modes, duh!!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Snow Cone Capone posted:

get rekt scrub

Carry one of those disks in your pocket (or a titanium suitcase) and it'll corrupt. Think we know the real winner here :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

Only if you were a baby and couldn't deal with pressing a button to change attack modes, duh!!

hmm nah I'll play my 6 button arcade ports on a 6 button system tyvm

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
werent there like 3 different Genesis multitaps because EA made one for their sports games, Sega made their official one but didn't bother to support any of the EA games, and in the end Sega was forced to make a third so their first party multitap could play Madden MP

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

werent there like 3 different Genesis multitaps because EA made one for their sports games, Sega made their official one but didn't bother to support any of the EA games, and in the end Sega was forced to make a third so their first party multitap could play Madden MP

That's capitalism you baby! God...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yes lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
though i do like the Genesis aesthetic in retrospect its really Gigeresque in colors and curves which also make it seem like some sprawling technorganic monstrosity that sadly the actual console ended up becoming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also never forget the gigantic fuckoff EA games that had an extra inch of plastic on them because Sega were a bunch of cheapasses who were so greedy that pathetic underdog Electronic Arts had to reverse-engineer the cartridges and make their own :(