Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I loving hate when people hang out there. Just loving pass or don't, I don't care, but don't hang out exactly where I can't see you easily.
Yeah, I might be at fault, but avoiding an accident is everyone's responsibility.

I clipped most of it out, but both that car and the SUV in front has just rushed up in the left lane and were losing their minds about being stuck behind that box truck. That set off my spidey sense so I was already starting to slow down, but that ended up keeping me next to him for longer. In retrospect i should have just moved over one and let the stupid flow past me.

And what's up fellow 2nd shift DFW goons, I also miss rush hour every day so I'm still surprised when I see the carnage that plays out each morning and afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's FORMER DFW goon to you, good sir! :colbert::hf::laffo:

Rush hour in Austin is both worse and better. It's solid gridlock with a lot less movement, but doesn't last until 8pm.

I had to turn down a pretty solid delivery today because of 35. The pickup time was 10 minutes away, delivery time.... I wouldn't have even been to the restaurant before it was ready. Google Maps turns into a sea of maroon if you're near 35 at all, or Mopac south of 183, or 360 anywhere, during rush hour. This was the tail end of it. Maroon is a regular color on google maps here; I rarely saw it in DFW.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

I clipped most of it out, but both that car and the SUV in front has just rushed up in the left lane and were losing their minds about being stuck behind that box truck. That set off my spidey sense so I was already starting to slow down, but that ended up keeping me next to him for longer. In retrospect i should have just moved over one and let the stupid flow past me.

I don't mean the following as a personal insult, just a commentary on how your driving in these two clips is not blameless. I'm not necessarily defending aggressive driving here, but you should have seen both merges coming a mile away. In the first clip you should have just moved over - the other lanes were empty.

In the second clip you accelerated ever so slightly when the Frymire van moved over, but when an rear end in a top hat like the box truck is camping in the left lane like that and the lane to the right opens up it become poo poo or get off the pot time. It's how the world works these days. I'd put money on the fact that the red car was completely aware that you were there but had no interest in waiting for your indecisive rear end to make a move. Them cutting you off to go around in traffic like that is the least surprising thing to happen that day after the sun came up in the morning. That person did that 20 times on their way to wherever they were going, guaranteed.

All five of you did something wrong:
- Box truck is king rear end in a top hat of dickville for being anywhere near the left lane. gently caress them for real.
- Frymire van for being in lane 2 when lane 3 is open, but that's a small issue
- Black SUV didn't go around the box truck immediately when the van moved over. That's right I said it. In heavy traffic like that if you're going to be a tailgating douche in a black SUV, then the predictable move is to make an assertive controlled move around the left lane camper while it's clear instead of deliberating about it.
- Red car is an rear end in a top hat for cutting you off, but that person knows they're an rear end in a top hat, has accepted they're an rear end in a top hat, and doesn't care that they're an rear end in a top hat. It was completely predictable.
- You for not moving from 2 to 3 when you pass the big truck (minor point and we can't tell how quickly you clear the truck), for accelerating to keep pace with the red car when the van moved (intentional or not), for not seeing the most obvious thing in the world coming, and for overreacting to it when it happened.

Also it seems like right as the clip started, you're moving right from lane 1 to 2 because the black SUV was tailgating you, which I'm assuming led to your commentary. Sucks to be tailgated but in that person's mind, you're not giving enough forward pressure to the box truck so you need to get out of the way so they can do it. Is that right or just or safe? No, but it should not be a surprise in any way and the best way to handle it is to just let them by.

Safe driving means being predictable and predicting the moves of others. Nothing in that second clip was unpredictable. I'm not saying you're an unsafe driver or a bad person, but a slight adjustment on your part would have avoided both close calls.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Long Francesco posted:

Does anyone have a backup camera recommendation? I just need the camera but most review blogs ive seen are all about the full systems with separate screens and crap.
I've somewhat settled on this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5W3243 I hate the idea of having the camera on the outside though, and I'd much rather have one that's designed to flush mount in the bumper or door

I got this a few years ago for my Altima: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMC8QXI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Feeds into a touch screen Kenwood receiver and works pretty good.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I got this one and installed it recently:

eRapta ERT01 2nd Generation Car... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KZSVD6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Couple of thoughts:
  • it includes a video feed (RCA) wire that also incorporates a power feed wire - so you only have to run one wire, instead of two.
  • It’s not totally obvious from their description, but the LEDs are not IR - they are quite visible. (Up to you if this is good or not, I like it, but don’t be a dick and leave it wired on all the time.)
  • It overlays a parking guide (green/yellow/red lines) on the video feed. Nice if your head unit doesn’t do it, probably bad if your head unit does.

I like it, and it has the upside of being pretty cheap (I say that not having looked at the other links, but I did pick this partially based on price when I was shopping)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Krakkles posted:

It overlays a parking guide (green/yellow/red lines) on the video feed. Nice if your head unit doesn’t do it, probably bad if your head unit does. [/list]

If you scroll through the pictures there's a wire loop that can be cut near the camera that disables the guide.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Geoj posted:

If you scroll through the pictures there's a wire loop that can be cut near the camera that disables the guide.
Even better, and I was wondering what that was. (My head unit doesn’t do it, so I appreciate having it.)

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I got this one and installed it recently:

eRapta ERT01 2nd Generation Car... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KZSVD6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Couple of thoughts:
  • it includes a video feed (RCA) wire that also incorporates a power feed wire - so you only have to run one wire, instead of two.
  • It’s not totally obvious from their description, but the LEDs are not IR - they are quite visible. (Up to you if this is good or not, I like it, but don’t be a dick and leave it wired on all the time.)
  • It overlays a parking guide (green/yellow/red lines) on the video feed. Nice if your head unit doesn’t do it, probably bad if your head unit does.

I like it, and it has the upside of being pretty cheap (I say that not having looked at the other links, but I did pick this partially based on price when I was shopping)

I like that one, couple questions:

Do the leds actually throw light or are they the ones that blind you if you look directly at them but don't do much otherwise?

and, are the power and video wires all molded together or is it like a zip cord kind of thing? I don't really see a reason to run power all the way up front when you can just butt into your reverse lights

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Long Francesco posted:

I like that one, couple questions:

Do the leds actually throw light or are they the ones that blind you if you look directly at them but don't do much otherwise?

and, are the power and video wires all molded together or is it like a zip cord kind of thing? I don't really see a reason to run power all the way up front when you can just butt into your reverse lights
They're definitely not as bright as my (Sylvania ZEVO) backup lights, but they're pretty bright and do throw a fair amount of light - I wouldn't expect them to light very far away, but it does help see detail right behind the car. Bit difficult to get a good shot, but here's an attempt:

As for the wire, it's molded together. It may vary by headunit, but on mine (and I think on most), you need reverse 12V into the back of the headunit so it knows when to switch the camera view on.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I had kept my eye on this lady for at least two miles leading up to this intersection due to her erratic driving. The whole time I was sitting at the light I had a feeling she was going to do something stupid and I was right. I gave the Sheriff's Officer a statement and told him I had dash cam footage, but never heard back from him.

Excuse the WTF Podcast and my commentary on the accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZFteekFz1s

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

ausgezeichnet posted:

I had kept my eye on this lady for at least two miles leading up to this intersection due to her erratic driving. The whole time I was sitting at the light I had a feeling she was going to do something stupid and I was right. I gave the Sheriff's Officer a statement and told him I had dash cam footage, but never heard back from him.

Excuse the WTF Podcast and my commentary on the accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZFteekFz1s

what's the deal with the truck blocking the white car?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wrex Ruckus posted:

what's the deal with the truck blocking the white car?
My initial thought was that he was pulling up there to help the person in the white car + put some flashing lights in the road to make the cars more visible (which, if that's what he was doing, he did in a weird way, but ...), but then I didn't see him get out and try to help. So if I had to guess, he has some weird personal experience with hit and runs that made him act really strangely?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

My initial thought was that he was pulling up there to help the person in the white car + put some flashing lights in the road to make the cars more visible (which, if that's what he was doing, he did in a weird way, but ...), but then I didn't see him get out and try to help. So if I had to guess, he has some weird personal experience with hit and runs that made him act really strangely?

I thought he was stopping to help and he may have done just that - calling 911 before he got out to survey the scene. I called 911 just after the end of the video and the dispatcher said they had already received two calls about the accident. I also never saw anyone exit/get pulled out of the white car that got hit before I left (about 25 minutes after the accident). At least a dozen Fire Department vehicles were at the scene.

All of those cars in the three opposing left turn lanes that continued through the accident scene were guaranteed to get flats. There was glass/suspension parts/chunks of rim all over the road. That's why I pulled so far over to the left before clearing the intersection.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Chances are, they just didn't need any additional footage. People admit stuff to the police even unprompted, an d she may have been intoxicated on top of everything

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nitrox posted:

Chances are, they just didn't need any additional footage. People admit stuff to the police even unprompted, an d she may have been intoxicated on top of everything

Yeah, at one point she tried to talk to me about my "story" and I just ignored her. Seemed baked.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Driving home today I passed a Kia Soul with dealer plates pulled over by a cop and then about 800 feet later another Kia Soul also pulled over by a cop (note the video is kind of loud. Setting audio to low on Mobius apparently doesn't actually do anything).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN-gPUsCcsY

I really have no idea. Could they have been drag racing? Is it the start of a gang? The Soul Train? Other than a double rainbow, this is the most exciting thing my dashcam has ever captured.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 15, 2019

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finally picked up a dash cam after way too many near misses with lunatics on the PA turnpike. This guy: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Dashboard-Supercapacitor-Nighttime-Recording/dp/B072FGL63X

Really pleased with it so far. Simple set up, good picture quality. Only gripe is the tape they included is light grey so is super visible from outside the car. I need to get my windshield replaced so when I do I'll try to source some black tape.

Install was easy peasy, I even had a factory wire channel behind the rear view I was able to route the wire through and up into the headliner. I need to install a hardwired USB port off an ignition switched fuse, my cigarette lighter is always on.

View from the driver's seat:

Better view of the camera:

And the view:

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 15, 2019

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can buy a switched adapter for your cigarette lighter. I\ve been you using one of those for over a year now, it's nice.
https://www.amazon.com/Virwir-Cigar...=gateway&sr=8-8

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nah I’ve already got a hardwired 12v to USB adapter to install. Just using the cigarette adapter until I do. I like a nice clean install with no visible wiring.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've noticed like a 1/3 split between Dallas, Russia, and Australia videos in this thread. I've been commuting 2 hours a day in Dallas for several years now, and I think maybe I ought to invest in a dashcam. Just today I witnessed someone try to turn left through a gap in oncoming traffic and misjudge their timing. Sensing their mistake, they attempted to gas it and speed to safety. The person they cut off swerved to avoid them, but swerved to the right (understandably, as the threat was coming from the left). This pair of decisions led to a perfect t-boning. There was a screaming child of probably ten years old stumbling from a smashed SUV and a crowd of bystanders descending with cell phones out. This place is a nightmare.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I spent 8+ hours a day behind the wheel in Dallas for a lot longer than I'd like to admit. :sigh:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Working through old clips. Wife was excited about this instant karma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCZeHoczBMA

Don't text and drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0fUISUJhDI

Nissan caught some air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8S_XyMNhjs

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 17, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Working through old clips. Wife was excited about this instant karma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCZeHoczBMA

Lewisville cops don't gently caress around in general. :golfclap:

Nissan one - Coppell? I can't place it, but it looks really familiar.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Close, it’s north Irving across 635 from Coppell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They kinda run together in my head when you get into the industrial areas. :v: Never lived on that side of 35 when I lived in DFW though, and only briefly worked over off of 635 and Royal.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
You fuckers are gonna make me finally buy a dashcam for my car just to reenforce the negative stereotypes about driving in Dallas, aren't you?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Tex Avery posted:

You fuckers are gonna make me finally buy a dashcam for my car just to reenforce the negative stereotypes about driving in Dallas, aren't you?

A few years ago I visited a friend of mine in Dallas. We proceeded to get shitfaced and the next day I had a brutal hangover so I volunteered to be the designated driver. (he actually lived in the suburbs, near some big lake).

Anyway, on the ~30-45 minute highway drive back out to his place from the Deep Ellum (?) area (around 2am), I saw 4 cars either on their sides or roofs. My entire life until then, I had seen 2 cars flipped over, and in one drive I saw 4. In short, there are apparently a lot of drunk drivers in the Dallas area.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 18, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I feel naked without a dashcam. Like ohshitohshit something is definitely going to happen the one day it's not working. Never does, but still.

Tex Avery posted:

I finally got one because of dumbasses in my parking deck who took every turn like it was an one-way street and there couldn't possibly be an oncoming car in it's own dedicated lane around the corner. After slamming on my brakes for upteeth time I got the dashcam. From what I understand, without some kind of proof that the other person was driving recklessly, any accident in a parking lot is going to judged 50/50 fault.

Now I need a rear facing dash cam. Last week I had a lowered Camaro tailgating me so close I couldn't even see him in my rear view mirror. I just happened to see a small hint of the red roof by accident.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Krispy Wafer posted:

I feel naked without a dashcam. Like ohshitohshit something is definitely going to happen the one day it's not working. Never does, but still.
A few months back I stopping back at the office between customer site visits and noticed that my camera's timer wasn't incrementing, indicating that it had enough g-force saved clips that the card was full. I thought about getting my laptop out and clearing it out, but decided it wasn't worth the time and I'd do it when I got to the next site.

Sure enough, an unsecured load falls off a truck on the highway and sends a few cars including myself swerving through bags of trash, but I have no recording because I was lazy.

Fortunately no meaningful damage.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My first 4 months was full of lovely drivers. The subsequent two years have had very little and now I mostly just save lightning strikes and getting buzzed by treetop-level helicopters.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
The only think of interest I've seen in the last year or so of having a dashcam was seeing the driver in front of me stop at a red light, then crack open their door and vomit onto the road, before shutting the door and continuing on a second later, when it changed to green again. (I didn't get a good angle though, so I didn't bother saving a clip; only a photo, somewhere)

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
More parents being idiots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2jICEhnWM4

And a few general idiocy, the last one followed me around for a little while flipping me off after he cut me off and I honked at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzVJ8oJOJ4

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

n0tqu1tesane posted:

More parents being idiots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2jICEhnWM4

And a few general idiocy, the last one followed me around for a little while flipping me off after he cut me off and I honked at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzVJ8oJOJ4

You honked and he KEPT MERGING. What a dumbass.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You’ve mentioned those parents before, but do these kids have to cross that street to get to school or is it at least on the same side of the road?

I wondered why the school nearby has a “DO NOT DROP YOUR KIDS OFF HERE” sign a good quarter of a mile from the school’s front door and now I know.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

You’ve mentioned those parents before, but do these kids have to cross that street to get to school or is it at least on the same side of the road?

I wondered why the school nearby has a “DO NOT DROP YOUR KIDS OFF HERE” sign a good quarter of a mile from the school’s front door and now I know.

The school is just around the corner on the service road to the right.

Red line is the road they're blocking, school is at top of image.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know what is a good solution/if one exists but clearly there needs to be a change in design somewhere so these parents will stop. It's like desire paths - just because you want people to keep off the grass and use the sidewalks doesn't mean they're going to. There never seems to be that many cars, so maybe a circular drive to the left (west?) of the school building in that grassy area will allow parents a safe place to drop off their kids and still be able to turn left on that service drive? I assume every last one of these parents end up turning left and the reason they choose to drop their kids off at that corner is because if they turn right, they have to make a (relatively) big loop through school traffic to go in the direction they want to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The solution is a sign making it illegal and a cop who hangs out on the corner each morning one random one day a week. After a month parents will stop dropping their kids off there and the local police department will clear a tidy profit.

In dashcam news, one of the more annoying aspects of my vehicle is it delivers power through USB for one hour after I shut the car off. It's pulling 5v's which is probably negligible for a modern car battery, but I'm paranoid. An USB on/off switch extension cable later and it's not a problem. I do have to remember to flip the little toggle though.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

I don't know what is a good solution/if one exists but clearly there needs to be a change in design somewhere so these parents will stop. It's like desire paths - just because you want people to keep off the grass and use the sidewalks doesn't mean they're going to. There never seems to be that many cars, so maybe a circular drive to the left (west?) of the school building in that grassy area will allow parents a safe place to drop off their kids and still be able to turn left on that service drive? I assume every last one of these parents end up turning left and the reason they choose to drop their kids off at that corner is because if they turn right, they have to make a (relatively) big loop through school traffic to go in the direction they want to.

There's already a designated carpool line and dropoff that's safe. It comes in from the north of the image, you can see the carpool lanes looping around the parking lot at the top of the image. These parents are actively choosing not to use it.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The solution is a sign making it illegal and a cop who hangs out on the corner each morning one random one day a week. After a month parents will stop dropping their kids off there and the local police department will clear a tidy profit.

This happens about once a year, and parents stop for a week or so, then go back to dropping their kids off there.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Major Isoor posted:

The only think of interest I've seen in the last year or so of having a dashcam was seeing the driver in front of me stop at a red light, then crack open their door and vomit onto the road, before shutting the door and continuing on a second later, when it changed to green again. (I didn't get a good angle though, so I didn't bother saving a clip; only a photo, somewhere)

I was so mad I didn't have my old dashcam running a few years ago as I was driving up I-95. A stopped car on the shoulder's door opened and a guy stepped half out and vomited in a perfect parabolic arc.

Few road fuckups lately, but still timelapsing my bullshit trips via the Roav
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtftRfGsdNs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xcFZs1e19s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I was so mad I didn't have my old dashcam running a few years ago as I was driving up I-95. A stopped car on the shoulder's door opened and a guy stepped half out and vomited in a perfect parabolic arc.

Ahh, drat - I'm sorry to hear that! That would've been an amazing video to see/have! :D