Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Iron Crowned posted:

I really don't understand the whole "must update the special effects" mantra. I'm cool with the Terminator looking like it was from a Harryhausen film, it was a 1984 science fiction film, that sequence really should look like that.

When I watched T1 the first time, it featured a realistic scary killer robot on screen.

When I watched it 20 years later, that scene had been replaced by a stop-motion GI Joe sprayed with silver paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If outdated special effects ruin what would otherwise be a fantastic movie, all time classic, that's really your problem and not anything you can expect the movie to compromise on.

Like I get it, the bit where Arnold cuts his eye open looks like a Halloween mask in 2019, but I love practical effects, and I love the movie, so gently caress it. I can make a choice to be That Guy who points out the strings on the puppet or I can choose to be the joyously enthralled child and a choice between unashamed joy and jaded reality is no choice at all imo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

also it's not like new effects hold up forever, you going to keep updating the movies with patches every 10-20 years? lucas did his jabba scene once the "technology was finally there", and then the cg dated so badly he had to re-do it a few years down the line. (and it screws up the pacing of the first act and neuters Jabba as a villain but that's neither here nor there to the argument)

and it's not like the tool itself is always used right. look at some of the CG in the later terminators like when he's bouncing around on the freeway like a boneless rubber ball.

it is okay to suspend disbelief and enjoy it for the story and as a cultural artifact of its time. i bet you could re-do the push in through the window in citizen kane better now at home with a copy of adobe after effects, but come on. just watch the dang movie, that's ~cinema~ baby. namaste

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 18, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I love the sfx in T1 way more than any CGI.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leon Einstein posted:

I love the sfx in T1 way more than any CGI.

:same:

I really don't understand how people can't enjoy older special effects. I met someone IRL that likes the new Robocop better than the OG because the special effects were better, and went on to say that he felt sorry for the original Star Wars movies because of the special effects :psyduck:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

I really don't understand how people can't enjoy older special effects. I met someone IRL that likes the new Robocop better than the OG because the special effects were better, and went on to say that he felt sorry for the original Star Wars movies because of the special effects :psyduck:

this person sucks and should be made to watch blade runner with his eyes held open a la Alex DeLarge

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The new Blade Runner is amazing. A worthy sequel imo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hot take: Alien Resurrection is actually totally fine

it's not a Great Movie the way the first two are, but if you're in the mood for fun stupid poo poo it's worth throwing on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qtEsweD4Ao

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Leon Einstein posted:

The original is like sacred poo poo to me so I headed into the new one ready to have my heart broken, but, uh, yeah it's really loving good

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
new Blade Runner would be a good movie if it weren’t so literal minded a sequel. Harrison Ford’s old, visibly disgruntled rear end showing up adds nothing to the film and tanks the pacing so he can have a fist fight. It’s a loving lame addition to a character who already had a great sendoff in his own movie. It should have spent more time on its own characters, especially Luv who is wildly underused and the robomessiah who is barely a character at all.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

Even if there's whining about the weaker parts of the film they really nailed the practical effects and the overall visual feel of the world.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm dumbfounded that anyone would ever think about going back to "update" movies after the poo poo fest that George Lucas caused. That was an extremely important lesson in the entire world of art. Basically don't gently caress with it.

poo poo the Mona Lisa isn't smiling, welp lemme pull up Photoshop and fix that and then send it back to the Louvre Museum.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Labyrinth just arrived in the mail, and it's in great shape!

Thanks Xenomrph for putting that together, that was super cool of you :3:

It didn't have very far to go to get to me in Golden, CO, so I'm guessing people further from the Southwest will get their's in a few days.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Alien is one of my favorite franchises, maybe simply THE favorite. I have some fun Alien-related stuff floating around that I've gained throughout the years:

Cool big framed Alien graphic art:

Some replicas (for the most part) of what Sigourney Weaver wears at the end of Aliens when she decends to find Newt and F up the queen:

My friend got me this book recently and I saw it being discussed earlier in the thread. It's pretty great:

I also still have my Queen action figure from the original lineup, plus the gorilla alien, too.

It always struck me as so weird that they were marketing these toys to kids based on an R-rated series. I'm not sure if that even happens anymore.

I can also confirm that Alien: Isolation owns. It's fantastic, and I appreciate how closely the design team stayed to the art and style of Alien (the first movie).

I read most of the novels as a kid, but one that came later and really knocked my socks off was Aliens: Tribes. Someone earlier described what sounded like the same plot but with a different title?

Essentially, marines go in on a bug hunt, including a mech that a person is strapped into and just fed/injected adrenaline, speed, etc in crazy amounts and they're just this completely insane (literally) killing machine, marching right into the hive.

I loved the bleakness of it (they all die) and my version has a series of just outstanding paintings/drawings periodically throughout the book by Dave Dorman:

Man this post took like an hour to make phone posting so please read it everyone thank you

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those shoes are awesome.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Those shoes are awesome.

They've gotten a lot of wear, obviously, but I love 'em.

A few months ago I was stumbling into the ER because I knew I was going to start going into pretty bad alcohol withdrawal, and even then, the cool black security guard guy, as I'm putting my metal stuff into the bin to go through the detector, exclaimed "HEY, THEM ARE ALIEN STOMPERS!" and it was just a surreal moment considering where my head was at at the time.

I was stoked, though, that someone knew what they were ("Alien Stompers" is the actual formal shoe title) and he said "sorry man, I'm just a sneakerhead" as I gathered up my keys and things with trembling hands.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Those shoes are awesome.

I was so jealous that I couldn't afford the limited edition alien stomper Reeboks.

You are a lucky person Floodixor

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

I'm dumbfounded that anyone would ever think about going back to "update" movies after the poo poo fest that George Lucas caused. That was an extremely important lesson in the entire world of art. Basically don't gently caress with it.

poo poo the Mona Lisa isn't smiling, welp lemme pull up Photoshop and fix that and then send it back to the Louvre Museum.

There's only one mona lisa but there's like a million copies of alien 3

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Linux Pirate posted:

I was so jealous that I couldn't afford the limited edition alien stomper Reeboks.

You are a lucky person Floodixor

I bought the Seiko alien watch when they reissued it and it owns

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

It always struck me as so weird that they were marketing these toys to kids based on an R-rated series. I'm not sure if that even happens anymore.

There’s got to be Deadpool toys right?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Floodixor posted:

I also still have my Queen action figure from the original lineup, plus the gorilla alien, too.

There was supposed to be a cartoon series, which is what the toys were based on (explaining the colourful re-designs of the marines). Still a bizarre movie to use as a basis for a glorified toy commercial, but the late 80's/early 90's was a weird era for this sort of thing, having cartoons based on movies clearly not made for kids. RoboCop? Conan the Barbarian? The Toxic Avenger?

Yep, they all ended up with kid-friendly cartoons and a bunch of toys.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

There was supposed to be a cartoon series, which is what the toys were based on (explaining the colourful re-designs of the marines). Still a bizarre movie to use as a basis for a glorified toy commercial, but the late 80's/early 90's was a weird era for this sort of thing, having cartoons based on movies clearly not made for kids. RoboCop? Conan the Barbarian? The Toxic Avenger?

Yep, they all ended up with kid-friendly cartoons and a bunch of toys.

I had only ever heard of toxic avenger as a cartoon until my 20s. I thought people were talking about a reboot when I heard about the movie.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

TheMostFrench posted:

I had only ever heard of toxic avenger as a cartoon until my 20s. I thought people were talking about a reboot when I heard about the movie.

I heard of the cartoon (Toxic Crusaders) first too, wasn't until I was in my early teens when I realised that everyone saying "Toxic Avenger" wasn't getting the name wrong, because they weren't talking about the loving cartoon!

Shamefully it wasn't until much later that I actually bothered watching it.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Floodixor posted:

* snip*

I read most of the novels as a kid, but one that came later and really knocked my socks off was Aliens: Tribes. Someone earlier described what sounded like the same plot but with a different title?

Essentially, marines go in on a bug hunt, including a mech that a person is strapped into and just fed/injected adrenaline, speed, etc in crazy amounts and they're just this completely insane (literally) killing machine, marching right into the hive.

I loved the bleakness of it (they all die) and my version has a series of just outstanding paintings/drawings periodically throughout the book by Dave Dorman:

Man this post took like an hour to make phone posting so please read it everyone thank you

These pics are sick and that Jonesy comic looks awesome. Thanks!

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Floodixor posted:

The suit was referred to as MAX if I recall. They used it in one of my favorite comics as a kid, Aliens: Berserker. The plot was about a group of convict troops who earn time off sentence by clearing Xeno nests. Their modus operandi was for one guy with a facehugger-proof helmet get nabbed and taken to the hive. They then lock onto his tracker signal and set their MAX unit loose in that general direction. The rest of the troops come in for clean up and recovering MAX and the bait.

It had some cool as poo poo cover art too!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Hey my comic book got here today, thanks xenomrph! I just read the first issue, it’s pretty gross!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
The Alien franchise, Terminator franchise, Total Recall, and Robocop are all amazing. I don't know if it is my age (born in 1980), but these movies were all favorites growing up.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

The Alien franchise, Terminator franchise, Total Recall, and Robocop are all amazing. I don't know if it is my age (born in 1980), but these movies were all favorites growing up.

I mean I’m ten years younger than you and pretty much feel the same way. They’re good movies.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

Leon Einstein posted:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WatermelonGun posted:

Hey my comic book got here today, thanks xenomrph! I just read the first issue, it’s pretty gross!
Oh you sweet summer child. :kiddo:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Leon Einstein posted:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Mutant Headcrab posted:

The suit was referred to as MAX if I recall. They used it in one of my favorite comics as a kid, Aliens: Berserker. The plot was about a group of convict troops who earn time off sentence by clearing Xeno nests. Their modus operandi was for one guy with a facehugger-proof helmet get nabbed and taken to the hive. They then lock onto his tracker signal and set their MAX unit loose in that general direction. The rest of the troops come in for clean up and recovering MAX and the bait.

It had some cool as poo poo cover art too!

Mobile Offensive eXoskeleton/MOX. The one in Tribes is MOX-60, lovingly dubbed Shitkicker ('Kicker for short). Tribes is excellent

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 19, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

Isolation was good even if it overstayed its welcome by a whole lot
what do you mean

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

WatermelonGun posted:

Yeah, I love the part where the dude gets his skull + spine pulled out. Very mortal kombat.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

gary oldmans diary posted:

what do you mean

I think they meant the developers could have probably cut things back a bit after the first alien is locked into the module and you escape it. When you get the one-two punch of trying to uncover the Seegson/WY conspiracy followed with the hive discovery in a game that was already intense and exhausting before all of the above was revealed, it's a lot.

Plus some of those parts dragged a bit, pacing-wise. Not a huge knock against the game. I felt the same way about the living quarters in System Shock 2 and some of the engineering sequences in Prey and I played the hell out of those.

Anyway, if you eliminated the stuff from A:I I mentioned then that's one less reason to have an homage to the Nostromo's self-destruct sequence and nobody wants to get rid of that.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 20, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Leon Einstein posted:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm watching a stream of annihilation right now and I would consider it in the same genre as those films listed. It stinks. I don't think we can do a good sci-fi action/adventure/thriller anymore.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Yeah, they wanted to make smart sci-fi but bit off more than they could chew. Annihilation (the book) was way more of an existential critique on someone's drive towards self-destruction and rebirth/redemption, and the 'monster' is brilliant and indescribable in a medium where its actions and environment can only be shown briefly. The movie tried to action it up with the shimmer and the bear and the exploding Ventress but it's basically unadaptable.

Action sci-fi is in a weird place though, totally. Movies from the 80s took the old 'what's trying to kill this person/people' theme and perfected all the answers so that everything else seems like a knock-off. Xenos are the perfect I'm-gonna-getcha-in-this-dark-hallway monster, Predators are the perfect intelligent silent stalker monster, the Thing is the perfect hidden-in-plain-sight monster, and the first two Terminators covered futuristic robots. What else can be explored that's not a reboot? Ghosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the problem might be the relative cheapness of CGI special effects. The 80s seems to be a sort of perfect point at which really good special effects are possible, but have to be used with care, so the story has to reflect that. Modern films can have the monster leaping about in full view far more easily and cheaply, so why bother with relatable characters and tight storytelling? Just have the Predator/xenomorph/Thing rampage around for ninety minutes and you've got a movie.