Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Woof Blitzer posted:

I don’t know where else to show off my personal projects since they involve a lot of stuff

Local craigslist discussion forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Lol. If I wanted to watch chud videos or cute animal vines I’d stay on Facebook.

Besides my co-worker before she retired was getting scammed for iTunes cards and a cellphone or two.... which led to Charles getting blowed up in A-stan last May (RIP)

Only social media I’m active on is here. I follow a couple of dog pages on Instagram and my daughter’s university page

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Vasudus posted:

There seems to be two different types of people in social media in my industry.

The first are people that list their employer and a very generic description of their level of responsibility, barely touching on specific sector. No client details, no project specifics, no nothing. I'm one of these people but most of the people I work with are also.

The second are people that list fuckin' everything. I don't know if it's for street cred, or they're really hurting for a job, or what. Seems to be a full third of people I know with no real rhyme or reason behind it.

Like goddamn people, nobody gonna look at your profile in that level of detail. They're gonna see [employer] and whatever credentials you have and then go from there after they contact you.

I guess I’m a combo of the two. I try not to go into a ton of detail, but at the same time, I want certain parts of my qualifications (travel, training background) to stand out. I got contacted by a recruiter for a job that sounded super up my alley until I got to the part with the “must have and demonstrate a mature Christian faith.” Hard loving pass there.

Whatever the case, I need to get better at LinkedIn or networking in general because my employment situation is getting increasingly untenable. To make a long story about stupid office politics short, my new boss- a new guy hired over my old boss, who has been with my agency for years and was already doing said job in an acting capacity for months- decided that the way he was going to introduce himself to my “client” was to have me ask them for more work so he could sit in on the planning meetings. It would have been trivial for me to set up a simple introduction, but for some reason, he thought this was a good idea. This, when my team is already short staffed and I’ve been doing the work of two people for six months after my partner was unceremoniously fired.

It’s not just me feeling the squeeze, either. We have dedicated people for training and communications/internal marketing who have had amorphously defined projects dumped on them with instructions to implement them yesterday with no guidance or clear vision provided other than “this is what we told people we’d do, now do it, and no, you’re not getting any more resources or help.” Meanwhile, our sister agency has teams of 10+ people working on smaller projects whereas we have one, maybe two people doing way more.

Our leadership is ignoring clear warnings that they have a critical morale and manpower problem, and doesn’t seem to know how close they are to having a mass exodus or the next team building activity involve pitchforks, torches and guillotines. I was planning on changing jobs after I get married in October, but I’m realizing that if I don’t leave soon, I’m not gonna loving make it until then. I’m finding myself getting increasingly bitter and irritable, and there have been a couple of times when I’ve snapped at someone or my fiancée because they caught me at a bad time. That’s not me, I don’t want it to be me, so I’m getting the gently caress away as soon as possible.

You know it’s bad when you go to a stress counselor and explain your professional life, and they tell you to start looking for a new job.

Edit: quite possibly the saddest LinkedIn usage story I’ve heard is a dude (not a friend or coworker, thankfully) saying he uses it to scout out women in his industry that he’s going to try and bang at conferences.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 18, 2019

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Local craigslist discussion forums.

Mmm.... now were cookign with gas

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i dropped all of the big social media about a month ago. my productivity in life has skyrocketed. i've been off of facebook for longer, but i got rid of instagram, twitter, and snapchat.

the only social media i have now is linkedin and i think it's worth it for how little i pay attention to it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only social media that I use period is my LinkedIn which has largely evergreen information on there. About once a month someone I worked with adds me.

I’m fortunate in that it seems most dating apps don’t require a Facebook profile anymore. I can’t think of what part of that would be more exhausting.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Social media has never been anything to me other than propaganda. I log in to see what family/friends have been up to, or to find stuff to do in town. I only post the most mundane, non-controversial BS.

I literally do that dumb thing where you ask yourself "Would I be ok with this post being on a billboard with my name/photo under it?"

I'm also going into a field where I'll be teaching small children and parents will probably be more comfortable if they can actually look me up online.

Let me also shill a bit for being a military dude going into teaching elementary. I haven't retired yet, but I take time to go substitute a bunch. It's the most rewarding/stress free job I've ever had. Even when kids are at their worst you know it's over at 2:30. You also, as a full time teacher, only work 187 days of the year for 50,000 dollars and full medical benefits and retirement at 25 years (but you can retire as early as 10 years and it'll be prorated).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spacetoaster posted:

Social media has never been anything to me other than propaganda. I log in to see what family/friends have been up to, or to find stuff to do in town. I only post the most mundane, non-controversial BS.

I literally do that dumb thing where you ask yourself "Would I be ok with this post being on a billboard with my name/photo under it?"

I'm also going into a field where I'll be teaching small children and parents will probably be more comfortable if they can actually look me up online.

Let me also shill a bit for being a military dude going into teaching elementary. I haven't retired yet, but I take time to go substitute a bunch. It's the most rewarding/stress free job I've ever had. Even when kids are at their worst you know it's over at 2:30. You also, as a full time teacher, only work 187 days of the year for 50,000 dollars and full medical benefits and retirement at 25 years (but you can retire as early as 10 years and it'll be prorated).

lolwut

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The most professional satisfaction I ever had was substitute teaching during the day and delivering pizzas at night.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My tiny mother in law got her 10+ career ended by a special needs 3rd grader slamming a chair across her back because she triggered him by touching his shoulder. She had seen the need for specialty teachers and decided to go that direction after working with regular students for most of her career. It took a while but the back pain and anxiety has gone away since she early retired.
The plus side is my kids have a next door tutor!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You think that's bad?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The most professional satisfaction I ever had was substitute teaching during the day and delivering pizzas at night.

There is 1 class that makes me feel that way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’ve come across a very annoying thing last night — one particular grad school student/intern giving LinkedIn advice on how to land jobs.

She was debating me on nearly every piece of advice I was giving to a girl per a professor request. Only one of us has actually interviewed people, and it sure as hell isn’t the 22 year old PR intern.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

holocaust bloopers posted:

I’ve come across a very annoying thing last night — one particular grad school student/intern giving LinkedIn advice on how to land jobs.

She was debating me on nearly every piece of advice I was giving to a girl per a professor request. Only one of us has actually interviewed people, and it sure as hell isn’t the 22 year old PR intern.

Ughhhhhhh...I've dealt with this kind of person and you have my sympathies.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

this but ever freshly minted MBA telling you how business works

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Did you ask her out?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I like how you have to more or less lie on the prescreening questions in order for your resume to even get looked at.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spacetoaster posted:

You think that's bad?

My day does not end at the last bell, it is not low stress, I do not make $50k, and nobody has full medical and pension any more.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
All the prescreen questions in the pot industry here are taken care of by the state, and none of it is "on a scale of 1 to 14", just the important poo poo. When you send out a resume here for a weed job, they mostly ignore everything except your basic info and badge level/expiration.

The lovely thing is that facebook is the easiest way to find a weed job. I stumbled into mine on craigslist, but the overwhelming majority of "we need trim/harvest yesterday" ads are on a closed group network, where they confirm your badge information before you get access.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

My day does not end at the last bell, it is not low stress, I do not make $50k, and nobody has full medical and pension any more.

Do you not have a teacher's union?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Woof Blitzer posted:

Should I make a LinkedIn account question mark explanation point

I got my current job that I'm starting Monday off a recruiter that found me via LinkedIn.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

spacetoaster posted:

youve been teaching for all of 12 minutes so maybe stop and take a bigger look at the state of education in America

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Proud Christian Mom posted:

youve been teaching for all of 12 minutes so maybe stop and take a bigger look at the state of education in America

I think you read some kind of negative connotation into my post. I was hoping that stultus would tell me more about the situation.

And while I consider myself pretty new, I've been subbing for 2 years, in a masters program for education, and am the child of 2 teachers.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DoktorLoken posted:

I got my current job that I'm starting Monday off a recruiter that found me via LinkedIn.

Same. Agency reached out to me via LinkedIn.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

RE: Work chat,

I'm on loving pins and needles right now because my "interview" went exceptionally well and I aced the test I was given. Apparently out of 10 candidates, I was one of two that wasn't stumped by a couple of the more trickier questions so that felt good. Hiring manager later told me she was excited before about hiring me but seeing how well I did with the material made her even more excited about getting me on her team. Pretty much treated the entire thing as the real deal and I was told off record that it was great that I did so because it makes the case for hiring me/promoting me much stronger.

Last part of the interview was that Kayfabe part where I was basically asked what I needed to take the job. I mentioned the promotion as well as my most recent raise being nice, but that a chunk of that was going to end up being used to cover new commuting costs because of the new WFH policy and ideally, I'd like more to make up for that. Hiring manager at that point said "Okay, I need you to "threaten" me/the company with what happens if we don't come through. Be explicit." Mentioned I put feelers out with multiple companies in the area and that I still had the opportunity to keep pursuing them (thank you Vas and someone else I'm forgetting right now). Asked for ranges, I gave them and no one batted an eye so I didn't overshoot which is good.

End of the interview "Okay, I need to go talk to the director now and put the fear of god into him. You'll hear something most definitely by Friday."

Found out yesterday 2/3 parties (director and HR) signed off on everything the hiring manager recommended and now it's up to the VP for the final go/no go. Fingers loving crossed.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

spacetoaster posted:

I think you read some kind of negative connotation into my post. I was hoping that stultus would tell me more about the situation.

And while I consider myself pretty new, I've been subbing for 2 years, in a masters program for education, and am the child of 2 teachers.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Not sure about your state but where I live the local unions have been gutted over the last few decades. Yes they exist, but are unable to effectively bargain for their constituents. This is on top of efforts locally to effectively reduce funding for schools (tied solely to property taxes), and remove tenure due to highly publicized cases of bad teachers. YMMV of course but the fact remains that even 20 years ago the writing on the wall locally was it was not a long term solution.

This ignores the internal competition for schools and classes / grades in a given school system which I’ve heard from then roommates was especially fierce following the publication of school report cards. Want an “A” school? Good luck newbie, here’s your “D” school for years 1-5.

Burnout rate was high amongst educators based on the data I’ve seen. Something like average career was under 5 years and turn over for low rated schools was in the 60% range.

Again it’s largely second hand for one small part of the country. I wish you luck and hope your chosen path is as awesome as you want it to be.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Good luck!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spacetoaster posted:

It's toothless. State law does not allow strikes.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Stultus Maximus posted:

The gently caress are they going to do if they strike anyway? Fire all the teachers?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nystral posted:

Not sure about your state but where I live the local unions have been gutted over the last few decades. Yes they exist, but are unable to effectively bargain for their constituents. This is on top of efforts locally to effectively reduce funding for schools (tied solely to property taxes), and remove tenure due to highly publicized cases of bad teachers. YMMV of course but the fact remains that even 20 years ago the writing on the wall locally was it was not a long term solution.

This ignores the internal competition for schools and classes / grades in a given school system which I’ve heard from then roommates was especially fierce following the publication of school report cards. Want an “A” school? Good luck newbie, here’s your “D” school for years 1-5.

Burnout rate was high amongst educators based on the data I’ve seen. Something like average career was under 5 years and turn over for low rated schools was in the 60% range.

Again it’s largely second hand for one small part of the country. I wish you luck and hope your chosen path is as awesome as you want it to be.

Thanks. The "union" in my area is awful too and I'd like to work to fix it once I get certified.

The troubled schools in my area are literally hell on earth and I cannot comprehend how anyone can work there. I try to identify the underlying problem (It's poverty, but I mean other than that) and it seems there's a distinct lack of backbone for enforcing even the most basic of rules (dress code/classroom behavior/cellphones/etc). But I do not like having those conversations with the teachers around me (because a lot of them are liberal and racist as gently caress).

Stultus Maximus posted:

Weren't all the most recent teachers strikes in places that didn't allow strikes? And they won?

An article on it:
https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/05/09/legalities-and-politics-collide-in-teacher-work.html

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 18, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

The gently caress are they going to do if they strike anyway? Fire all the teachers?

Yes and hire private prison guards to fill in.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Behind a medal of honor recipient in the burger king drive thru. At least according to the license plate.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Behind a medal of honor recipient in the burger king drive thru. At least according to the license plate.

Quick, salute before he gets away!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've started the process of getting the gently caress out of my current contract. Small business partner is going to take 2 of my 5 spots so I'm using it as an excuse to eject. Told my PM that my deputy is fully capable of taking over and to give my spot to our partner.

Now to schedule a for-real meeting with my next prospective PM (probably over beer) and get a seat at the table for his new work that's starting up in September.

It's with the VA :smithicide:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

give em a little taperoo and see if you can identify them before they end your life

Vasudus posted:

I've started the process of getting the gently caress out of my current contract. Small business partner is going to take 2 of my 5 spots so I'm using it as an excuse to eject. Told my PM that my deputy is fully capable of taking over and to give my spot to our partner.

Now to schedule a for-real meeting with my next prospective PM (probably over beer) and get a seat at the table for his new work that's starting up in September.

Hmm sounds like a lack of heart

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

How long was this one, start to end?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I still don't understand what you do other than knowing that it is miserable on many levels.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

orange juche posted:

How long was this one, start to end?

4 December 2018 to 18 July 2019. I came on at the end of the contract which got bridged 6 months, then is being rebid as small business after it was broken apart.

EBB posted:

I still don't understand what you do other than knowing that it is miserable on many levels.

Basically I'm part of a small (and one of several) health portfolio that acts as a liaison between OSD and Joint Staff. I'm responsible for a handful of DOTMLPF-P Change Recommendations (DCRs) that are at varying stages of implementation. So I basically talk to A LOT of people and make sure that specific policy changes are being made on both sides of the DoD, that they're aligned properly, and that they mirror each other. I work across a huge amount of health topics to do this. It's a monumental pain in the rear end that requires an incredibly wide range of knowledge.

The kicker is that my client is absolutely insane and likely has several major untreated and undiagnosed mental conditions that make the job ten times harder than it has to be.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Kawasaki Nun posted:

give em a little taperoo and see if you can identify them before they end your life

Could only be one of a couple dozen people. Voice wasn't of an older guy, probably around 40. Just weird seeing the plate in the wild. Not at all surprised it was in a burger king drive thru, of all places.

Wikipedia says there's 71 MoH recipients currently alive.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Tired: driving around with grandpa's handicap tags

Wired: driving around with grandpa's medal of honor tags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
State might let the widow(er) get those plates, too.