Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Picnic Princess posted:

Ever heard of Milford Sound in New Zealand? It's not a sound, it's a fjord. Sounds are formed from rivers and are V shaped while fjords are U shaped. But the dude who named it didn't know the geologic history of the island and just assumed it was a sound because there's no ice there now.

That's your bonus geography lesson of the day thanks for reading

Were those definitions set when New Zealand was "discovered" and named? I mean, in Denmark we have Øresund which is a strait, and Limfjorden which is an inlet, both of which were named in prehistory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Henchman of Santa posted:

When I first learned about the band Portishead I thought it was pronounced Portis Head, but later I was informed that it (and the town) are actually “porti-shade” or “porti-shed” so I called them that for years. I looked it up again today and I was right the first time?
They're British, so it's pronounced Portooster.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Porstead, actually.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LOL if your Portishead isn't made out of wood just LAFFOing on the LOTR with BÖMBERBRUNKEBERG.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

When I first learned about the band Portishead I thought it was pronounced Portis Head, but later I was informed that it (and the town) are actually “porti-shade” or “porti-shed” so I called them that for years. I looked it up again today and I was right the first time?
it's pronounced "sword"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NonzeroCircle posted:

it's pronounced "sword"

Oh!

Well I feel foolish.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Ever heard of Milford Sound in New Zealand? It's not a sound, it's a fjord. Sounds are formed from rivers and are V shaped while fjords are U shaped. But the dude who named it didn't know the geologic history of the island and just assumed it was a sound because there's no ice there now.
When did they come in and name the area "Fiordland," and was it done in an attempt to right past wrongs?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

LOL if your Portishead isn't made out of wood just LAFFOing on the LOTR with BÖMBERBRUNKEBERG.

NEH! SAIPPUAKIVIKAUPPIAS KOLME PISTEPIRKKO

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ProJared and Spoony are not the same youtube guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

What does tolkien have to do with any of this

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Alexisonfire is not pronounced "Alex is on fire"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Its obviously alexi son fire.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Al exiso n’fire

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Its A Lexus On Fire but they had to change the spelling because of trademarks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tunicate posted:

Its A Lexus On Fire but they had to change the spelling because of trademarks

To the tune of kings of leon

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Krankenstyle posted:

To the tune of kings of leon

Kings of Leon would have been so much cooler if they were burning the rich down.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jobson groeth posted:

Kings of Leon would have been so much cooler if they were burning the rich down.

This is true for many bands and other things as well

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

christmas boots posted:

Al exiso n’fire

Isn't this one of the people you have to kill in order to become The Nerevarine?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't kill Alexisonfire. You can kill Dallas Green if you have to.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Memento posted:

Isn't this one of the people you have to kill in order to become The Nerevarine?

Anyone who thinks the elder scrolls is just generic fantasy really should play Morrowind or read up on the lore. Morrowind has a neat setting and all the deeper background stuff was clearly written by a crazy person. It’s amazing

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Anyone who thinks the elder scrolls is just generic fantasy really should play Morrowind or read up on the lore. Morrowind has a neat setting and all the deeper background stuff was clearly written by a crazy person. It’s amazing

they developed the setting by A) making sure all lore had a POV attached to it, so it was someone's version of the story rather than an authoritative 'this happened', (B) by the dev team splintering into factions over what really happened, and (C) layering stories about people loving with so much metaphor and euphemism that they became impossible for the editors to interpret

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
That sounds like a great way to write almost anything if you ask me, but I’m completely unfamiliar with Morrowind so my imaginings probably don’t match reality.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Tunicate posted:

they developed the setting by A) making sure all lore had a POV attached to it, so it was someone's version of the story rather than an authoritative 'this happened', (B) by the dev team splintering into factions over what really happened, and (C) layering stories about people loving with so much metaphor and euphemism that they became impossible for the editors to interpret

D) one guy locking himself in the bathroom and taking peyote

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

It pretty much did become generic fantasy after Morrowind though. The next two are LotR and GoT respectively with less interesting gameplay to boot.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Polygon just recently posted a really interesting oral history of Morrowind which goes into detail about their approach.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tunicate posted:

I still can’t decide if the Warp in the West is brilliant or stupid as gently caress.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I've heard the theme song to FRIENDS literally hundreds of times, despite liking the show a little less each time I watch it. And there was a line I never quite figured out. 'Your luddites been OK'?! The hell does that mean?. Turns out it was 'Your love life's D.O.A', as in dead on arrival. Misheard song lyrics seems like it would contribute a lot to this thread.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
joy division - disorder

my version:
i've been waiting for a guy to come and take me by the hand
could these sensations make me feel the pleasures of another man?

actual lyrics:
i've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand
could these sensations make me feel the pleasures of a normal man?

i like my version more

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

joy division - disorder

my version:
i've been waiting for a guy to come and take me by the hand
could these sensations make me feel the pleasures of another man?

actual lyrics:
i've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand
could these sensations make me feel the pleasures of a normal man?

i like my version more

No. I absolutely refuse to believe this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

burial posted:

That sounds like a great way to write almost anything if you ask me, but I’m completely unfamiliar with Morrowind so my imaginings probably don’t match reality.

Morrowind is a unique, insane gem in gaming history. It definitely shows its age but the game had things like insane, ancient wizards living in weird mushroom towers, a city built in and around the shell of an ancient, gargantuan crab, and "dwarves" that weren't really dwarves or even that small. They were rather normal elves that a race of giants started calling "dwarves" and it stuck. They were insanely advanced and left behind artifacts that people are still trying to figure out. Nobody can replicate their weapons or armor so it's valuable partly as a curiosity and partly because it's stupidly good.

Oh, the dwarves also all vanished one day. How? To where? Nobody has any drat idea. None. They started dicking around with some pretty crazy advanced stuff and then one day they just weren't around anymore. They built a god. They literally put together an artificial loving god on their own. This may or may not be related.

Meanwhile outside of Morrowind other insane stuff was happening. Cyrodiil, where the Imperials are from, was originally supposed to be a bug gently caress crazy jungle instead of your bog standard giant blob of farm land. That went away as did some of the really mad lore that was put in. There's a road in the capital named Green Emperor Way. Why is it called that? Because the spirits of dead emperors inhabit trees there to give advice to new emperors. None of that made it into Oblivion which is very sad.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Morrowind is a unique, insane gem in gaming history. It definitely shows its age but the game had things like insane, ancient wizards living in weird mushroom towers, a city built in and around the shell of an ancient, gargantuan crab, and "dwarves" that weren't really dwarves or even that small. They were rather normal elves that a race of giants started calling "dwarves" and it stuck. They were insanely advanced and left behind artifacts that people are still trying to figure out. Nobody can replicate their weapons or armor so it's valuable partly as a curiosity and partly because it's stupidly good.

Oh, the dwarves also all vanished one day. How? To where? Nobody has any drat idea. None. They started dicking around with some pretty crazy advanced stuff and then one day they just weren't around anymore. They built a god. They literally put together an artificial loving god on their own. This may or may not be related.

Meanwhile outside of Morrowind other insane stuff was happening. Cyrodiil, where the Imperials are from, was originally supposed to be a bug gently caress crazy jungle instead of your bog standard giant blob of farm land. That went away as did some of the really mad lore that was put in. There's a road in the capital named Green Emperor Way. Why is it called that? Because the spirits of dead emperors inhabit trees there to give advice to new emperors. None of that made it into Oblivion which is very sad.

I just figured out you have never been laid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ferrule posted:

I just figured out you have never been laid.

There’s mods for that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There’s mods for that

Not once you're past a certain age.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Stuff I still can't believe and haven't figured out: why everyone jizzes their pants over Skyrim. It's like Morrowind only without any personality, originality, or really anything interesting about it at all. Even in VR, it's just really, really boring.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Hyperlynx posted:

Stuff I still can't believe and haven't figured out: why everyone jizzes their pants over Skyrim. It's like Morrowind only without any personality, originality, or really anything interesting about it at all. Even in VR, it's just really, really boring.

Skyrim's really interesting if you've never played Morrowind. :shrug:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

:drat:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Jerry Cotton posted:

:vince:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hyperlynx posted:

"Because it has dual wielding and dragons" is my understanding

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Because it's better than Oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hyperlynx posted:

Coming soon, Morrowind in Skyrim https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12752/