Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
IS THIS THE MARCO ANDRETTI WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Discord Postin' (thanks gret!)
https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1118257593103863810

*edit*
Current odds (as of April 16th) for the Indy 500, as offered by the Westgate Sports Book in Las Vegas:
https://e.infogram.com/c498c205-8b26-4bed-ac62-bd37dc477a4d?src=embed

code:
Will POWER		7-1	Conor DALY		40-1
Josef NEWGARDEN		7-1	Ed JONES		40-1
Alexander ROSSI		8-1	Zach VEACH		40-1
Scott DIXON		8-1	JR HILDEBRAND		40-1
Ryan HUNTER-REAY	10-1	Matteus LEIST		60-1
Simon PAGENAUD		10-1	Colton HERTA		60-1
Helio CASTRONEVES	12-1	Jordan KING		60-1
James HINCHCLIFFE	14-1	Oriel SERVIA		60-1
Marco ANDRETTI		16-1	Spencer PIGOT		60-1
Ed CARPENTER		16-1	Max CHILTON		60-1
Tony KANAAN		20-1	James DAVISON		100-1
Felix ROSENQVIST	20-1	Santino FERRUCCI	100-1
Sebastien BOURDAIS	30-1	Charlie KIMBALL		100-1
Graham RAHAL		30-1	Patricio O'WARD		100-1
Fernando ALONSO		30-1	Jay HOWARD		100-1
Takuma SATO		30-1	Jack HARVEY		300-1
Marcus ERICSSON		40-1	Ben HANLEY		300-1
Sage KARAM		40-1	Kyle KAISER		500-1
				Pippa MANN		500-1

Bentai fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 17, 2019

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Take?

I wish IndyCar could have a "Supermods" step between Silver Crown/Indy Lights to give USAC stars a leg up in the sport.

https://twitter.com/OswegoSpeedway/status/1118262818170724352

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/HillF1/status/1118398964351606784

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Penske switched to Ohlins shocks. Somewhat surprising as I thought the Penske shocks were the ones to have...

Still, it’s not the first (and probably not last) time Penske has abandoned his own equipment in order to win.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Rust Cohle posted:

If the only thing keeping a person from going to Indianapolis is the expectation of Alonso winning then, brother, that person is a piece of poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

He has a notable dad

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I know who Damon Hill is.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Frond posted:

Penske switched to Ohlins shocks. Somewhat surprising as I thought the Penske shocks were the ones to have...

My understanding was that the ones to have are your own team's custom-built ones that cost a significant chunk of your budget to develop. And, if you can't afford that chunk, you'd better make friends with a team that can. (Like Harding getting dampers from Andretti)

In that light Penske going to off-the-shelf dampers makes no sense whatsoever. Unless they're switching to Ohlins as a base for their own development, maybe?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Ohlins apparently deal with street courses better. Knowing Penske, they are probably customized.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's really just the shell and the high level architecture, all of the internals of the shocks are built in house by all of the teams (with the exception of Harding, Juncos, Shank, and DragonSpeed I guess).

That said, I'm really surprised that Penske is switching to Ohlins, considering most of the field has switched to Penskes as of late... and Penske's own shocks are an even more special custom version. Ohlins used to have about half the field, with Andretti being their flagship, but I heard they were slowly losing customers the last few years. Maybe I heard wrong. The big difference between the two is (or at least used to be) how the interer itself worked.

This is an old video, but a good overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzIiMV5CpA

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I know who Damon Hill is.

Do you? I'd think someone who knows who Damon Hill is would be able to distinguish between "only here to see Alonso win" and "only here to see if Alonso can do a thing only my father has done."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Who doesn't know Damon Hill? I love Gorillaz, personally

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Damon Hill is a senior accountant. Look at his photo and tell me otherwise.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

kidcoelacanth posted:

Who doesn't know Damon Hill?

You get great views of the surrounding area if you sit on top of it

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

kidcoelacanth posted:

Who doesn't know Damon Hill? I love Gorillaz, personally

:golfclap:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Oof, lookin rough for these boys.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

:smith:
----
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1118551599658434561
https://twitter.com/IndyStarSports/status/1118546074011099137
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1118500917551087616

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 17, 2019

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Reynold posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PNC gambled with Dixon as their first ever racing sponsorship and was rewarded, that's for sure.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Big Huski Boi posted:

Do you? I'd think someone who knows who Damon Hill is would be able to distinguish between "only here to see Alonso win" and "only here to see if Alonso can do a thing only my father has done."

His point was pretty clearly that Damon Hill, either as the son of the only Triple Crown winner or just plain race fan, somehow couldn't be arsed to go to a 500 in all of his life until now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

His point was pretty clearly that Damon Hill, either as the son of the only Triple Crown winner or just plain race fan, somehow couldn't be arsed to go to a 500 in all of his life until now.

I don't care, it's a dumbass post

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theris posted:

My understanding was that the ones to have are your own team's custom-built ones that cost a significant chunk of your budget to develop. And, if you can't afford that chunk, you'd better make friends with a team that can. (Like Harding getting dampers from Andretti)

In that light Penske going to off-the-shelf dampers makes no sense whatsoever. Unless they're switching to Ohlins as a base for their own development, maybe?

Yep. It sounds like they're going to them only for the street courses, and I'm guessing they're heavily customized, but it's interesting for sure.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Big problem I see with the Indy race on the Gold Coast in Australia is when they want to run it.

Same month as the F1 race here. Yeah that's just a bit silly, needs to be later in the year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reynold posted:

"Indy Racing Experience" is just one of those one day track event type things though, right?

So its not like they're washed up pro drivers.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

freeranger posted:

Same month as the F1 race here. Yeah that's just a bit silly, needs to be later in the year.

I really don't understand the "we want an international race, but it has to be in February" thing. There are other gaps in the schedule, so why are they sticking so hard to that?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theris posted:

I really don't understand the "we want an international race, but it has to be in February" thing. There are other gaps in the schedule, so why are they sticking so hard to that?

They want a season finale in the Bay Area around the time they have it now (early-mid September), which means having races afterwards won’t work, but there is space in the calendar earlier.

The travel for freight also takes forever or is super expensive. The only times CART really packed the fly-away races tightly was when they had FedEx as a major partner, and even then they went west coast - Australia - west coast. Formula 1 pays out the rear end for their transit. The WEC had some cars on boat from November (China) to February (Sebring) to keep costs down.

That said the biggest hurdle to Gold Coast running early is more the track setup schedule. You can get fans there and get other series involved, but if the local authorities don’t want to build the track twice a year then it’s a no-go. The current Supercars Gold Coast race is after Bathurst too, so late October. Which is after IndyCar wants to finish their season...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Theris posted:

Because the NFL terrifies them.

It's...not the worst idea to focus on the main gist of your races prior to "FOOTBAWL", but I don't see the reason to be terrified of say running Fontana like the old days.

(I will say NASCAR shifting focus from Daytona-Darlington to a Championship format that BEGINS during the start of FOOTBAWL is incredibly dumb)

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

They want a season finale in the Bay Area around the time they have it now (early-mid September), which means having races afterwards won’t work, but there is space in the calendar earlier.

The travel for freight also takes forever or is super expensive. The only times CART really packed the fly-away races tightly was when they had FedEx as a major partner, and even then they went west coast - Australia - west coast. Formula 1 pays out the rear end for their transit. The WEC had some cars on boat from November (China) to February (Sebring) to keep costs down.

That said the biggest hurdle to Gold Coast running early is more the track setup schedule. You can get fans there and get other series involved, but if the local authorities don’t want to build the track twice a year then it’s a no-go. The current Supercars Gold Coast race is after Bathurst too, so late October. Which is after IndyCar wants to finish their season...

Its just annoying, although having said that, doesn't matter when they actually hold the race. I'll still be going!

Hopefully in the next few years I'll make it over to the states for the Indy 500. But only if I can experience it properly and tail gate with some of you goons :)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Zaphod42 posted:

"Indy Racing Experience" is just one of those one day track event type things though, right?

So its not like they're washed up pro drivers.

Dude, Chaves literally ran Indycar last year. That's exactly what they are.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like Marco is getting a Mario-style 1969 throwback for the 500, it was announced on NBC’s Today Show this morning.

https://twitter.com/FollowAndretti/status/1118856190199574529

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

The questioner won’t be diverted and inquires if Chip Ganassi Racing’s IndyCar team is locked in with Honda, with whom it raced under the current engine formula from 2012-’13 and from ’17 to present. Chip leans back, takes a deep breath, flicks through a mental rolodex of mischievous answers, and slyly grins, “As far as you know I am!”

lol chip

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/chip-ganassi-interview-indycar-IMSA/4372998/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chip is the worst loving liar, lol.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ganassi to McLaren.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So Andretti, Penske and Ganassi now WANT the 25/8 rule...

(sighs)....You could have just done this in 1996. Raced at Disney World, Phoenix and we all wouldn't have had to deal with this bullshit pissing match that last more than a decade.

Goddamnit. Just sanction the 500 separately like the old days.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Man, gently caress that poo poo. If you get bumped by some dork running his only race this year because you dropped the ball in qualifying, you deserve it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only way I'd be fine with this is if the guaranteed entries were by team (not individual drivers), and the most guaranteed entries you have is by the lower of your full time ICS entries or your fulltime Lights entries. Make Roger and Chip step up their investment to start running Lights cars.

But otherwise, this really sums it up:

Reynold posted:

Man, gently caress that poo poo. If you get bumped by some dork running his only race this year because you dropped the ball in qualifying, you deserve it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't like it, but if they must:

-The only guaranteed entries are full time cars*, assuming n <= 24. You have to commit to the full season in order to be assured a spot in the 500 past bump day. If there's more than 24 full time drivers, well then they're going for the 24 spots, and 25th and further of the full times do not qualify.
-The 25th spot is the lights champion. They get a spot regardless of qualifying performance.
-The remaining 8 drivers are for one offs and limited schedule drivers. If there's less than 24 full time entries, they they fill as needed.

*I say cars because of Special Ed. For now.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
No to 25/8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

now what if we called those 25 cars "charter cars"