Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh, the dwarves also all vanished one day. How? To where? Nobody has any drat idea. None. They started dicking around with some pretty crazy advanced stuff and then one day they just weren't around anymore. They built a god. They literally put together an artificial loving god on their own. This may or may not be related.
please don't disrespect my good friend Yagrum Bagarn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

The Maestro posted:

D) one guy locking himself in the bathroom and taking peyote

It was bourbon and nicotine from what I hear, and a hotel room for six days instead of a bathroom. Kirkbride is sober now and writes for Telltale and remains exactly that weird, a blessing on this earth

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

elise the great posted:

It was bourbon and nicotine from what I hear, and a hotel room for six days instead of a bathroom. Kirkbride is sober now and writes for Telltale and remains exactly that weird, a blessing on this earth

Oh yeah, big time.

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/C0DA

The Thalmor win, except not really. And there's no such thing as canon anyway. So gently caress it do what you want

E: There's always been this meta-level to the lore that I've appreciated. Things like "dragon breaks" representing time-space crashing to somehow allow for all the mutually exclusive endings of Daggerfall to happen at once or a handful of characters utilizing something called CHIM which is basically just using console cheats, or even the idea of "mantling" that comes up in Morrowind where, even if you don't start as the reincarnation of the chosen one that by going through the motions and fulfilling the requirements of the prophecy you actually do become that--not just in the eyes of society but according to the fundamental nature of reality also.

It really is a shame that Skyrim (and Oblivion in particular) push those elements to the back in favor of the more generic fantasy stuff.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Apr 19, 2019

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Skryim is a dungeon-crawling, loot-grabbing game, whereas Morrowind is actually interesting.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Skyrim is probably likable if Oblivion is the only thing you have to compare it to, which is going to often be the case for people that are primarily console gamers and/or not old.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can agree with that. I've only played through it once and I have no intention of ever revisiting it, but Skyrim is much more aesthetically competent than Oblivion. Even though its Nordic setting is boring compared to Morrowind's insanity, it's at least lore-appropriate and has a specific flavor compared to Oblivion's by-the-numbers approach to fantasy.

e: it also isn't filled with lumpy potato-headed people

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Skyrim is probably likable if Oblivion is the only thing you have to compare it to, which is going to often be the case for people that are primarily console gamers and/or not old.

Everything from Morrowind on has been on console and most people I know started with that on the Xbox as their first Elder Scrolls

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Len posted:

Everything from Morrowind on has been on console and most people I know started with that on the Xbox as their first Elder Scrolls

My sister and I rented it from Blockbuster three times before our dad finally just bought it for us.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Skryim is a dungeon-crawling, loot-grabbing game,

Yeah! :mmmhmm:

Oh.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

Yeah I played Morrowind first, and played Oblivion and Skyrim when they were new, chasing the high the first game had supplied.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't mean that playing Morrowind is an unusual thing, just that a significant portion of the gaming market wasn't born yet when it came out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I don't mean that playing Morrowind is an unusual thing, just that a significant portion of the gaming market wasn't born yet when it came out.

Specifying console gamers threw me off because I took it to meaning you didn't realize Morrowind was on console. That makes a lot of sense with that clarification

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My first was Daggerfall and it took me 3 months to figure out how the hell to get out of that starting pirate cave.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My first was Daggerfall and it took me 3 months to figure out how the hell to get out of that starting pirate cave.

Same. I played the PC Gamer demo which had you start in a town and already in sandbox mode and I loved it. When I bought the full game and realized you started in a very scary and hard dungeon it took me so long to get the skill and courage to get out. All I wanted to do was rob shops :(

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

That’s kind of impressive though, having kept at it so doggedly. I don’t think I’d have had the patience.

On the other hand, I had the same experience with Link’s Awakening when I was a kid. I got it used (traded something for it, most likely) and didn’t have the manual. Which I needed to figure out an early puzzle based on monster names.

I tried and tried and tried for, yeah, like three months, unable to progress. Eventually, I printed out some kind of guide and made the connection, but I’m shocked I didn’t lose my temper after that long.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burial posted:

That’s kind of impressive though, having kept at it so doggedly. I don’t think I’d have had the patience.

I used to play one of The Bard's Tale games on my Amstrad back in the 80s and to complete the game you had to answer a riddle which for some dumb reason was based on the preamble of the US constitution (or similar, I can't remember) which I guess every kid in the US would have recognised immediately but since I'm Australian I just didn't know so I just shrugged and backed out of that dungeon and kept on grindin' my characters. I was such a goddamn shut-in I just kept playing it for months and months.
It wasn't until years later when we finally got the internet that I could look up the answer to the riddle and actually complete the game.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm pretty sure as a kids we just hadn't yet learned to feel like we should be progressing in a game's plot or getting past a given puzzle in one session (or 100) like we expect now. Or in other words we were more easily entertained by doing the same thing over and over again...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Organza Quiz posted:

Or in other words we were more easily entertained by doing the same thing over and over again...

Luckily we've all grown up and advanced to non-repetitive pasttimes like posting endlessly on dead gay forums!

Edit: that probably would have worked better if I didn't have an average of 7.78 posts per day and I wasn't replying to a poster with an average of 0.45 posts per day

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Apr 22, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I used to play one of The Bard's Tale games on my Amstrad back in the 80s and to complete the game you had to answer a riddle which for some dumb reason was based on the preamble of the US constitution (or similar, I can't remember) which I guess every kid in the US would have recognised immediately but since I'm Australian I just didn't know so I just shrugged and backed out of that dungeon and kept on grindin' my characters. I was such a goddamn shut-in I just kept playing it for months and months.
It wasn't until years later when we finally got the internet that I could look up the answer to the riddle and actually complete the game.

The age-gate on the Leisure Suit Larry games was multiple-choice general knowledge questions from the 60s and 70s.

...with no penalty for failure, so you just kept guessing until you got one right. They didn't actually give a poo poo.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My daughter was singing the “jingle bells, Batman smells” rhyme for some reason tonight, and it just occurred to me that the “Robin laid an egg” line/joke is because robins are birds and not just some random silly nonsense thing slipped in.

I always just assumed it was an old timey expression or something I guess.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It did also mean failing really bad at something which goes along with the rest of it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

JFC, "Mother" by Danzig is about Tipper Gore.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
'Laid an egg' also means farted.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

JFC, "Mother" by Danzig is about Tipper Gore.

Not specifically her, but she was definitely the face of a horde of pearl clutchers trying to legislate morality in art. You know, "for the children."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought it was about him taking a girl out on a date and being weirdly antagonistic to her parents when picking her up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"HI Glenn, I'm Bill. Nice to meet you."
"Gonna take your daughter out tonight, gonna show her my world!"
"Uh, okay? Just please be back by eleven."

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well... that's the kind of insanely ambitious, insanely labour-intensive project that never sees completion. I mean, there was a "create all of Tamriel" project for Morrowind that they promptly abandoned when Oblivion came out.

Still, if it ever does come out, it will mean I get to play Morrowind in VR, and I'll be all over it. but I'm not holding my breath.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Reminiscing about the time Danzig tried to muscle up on an obese Arizona punk front-man and got one-shot knocked the gently caress out. It’s pretty much the best thing he ever did in his career. That goes for either of them.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Excuse me. I'll have you know Glenn Danzig's finest achievement was his pile of bricks.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Well... that's the kind of insanely ambitious, insanely labour-intensive project that never sees completion. I mean, there was a "create all of Tamriel" project for Morrowind that they promptly abandoned when Oblivion came out.

Still, if it ever does come out, it will mean I get to play Morrowind in VR, and I'll be all over it. but I'm not holding my breath.

Tamriel Rebuilt is still going strong.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

packetmantis posted:

Tamriel Rebuilt is still going strong.

Well. Bugger me. I stand corrected.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

But they've changed the scope a bit. Now the goal is only to build the mainland of Morrowind and they're about one third of the way there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rodbeard posted:

Excuse me. I'll have you know Glenn Danzig's finest achievement was his pile of bricks.

Yea it's this

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Reminiscing about the time Danzig tried to muscle up on an obese Arizona punk front-man and got one-shot knocked the gently caress out. It’s pretty much the best thing he ever did in his career. That goes for either of them.

Danny Marianino of the Northside Kings. Sophmore year of high school. That show was on the rez, I was there that night. Danny is fat sure, but he is a mountain of a man for that peckerwood Danzig to square up with.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

rodbeard posted:

Excuse me. I'll have you know Glenn Danzig's finest achievement was his pile of motherfucking bricks, bitches

Fixed that for you

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

He was pushing fifty, tho. Well past his glory days of squeezing all the juice out of Violet Beauregard with just one hand.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

He was pushing fifty, tho. Well past his glory days of squeezing all the juice out of Violet Beauregard with just one hand.

Don't care, still great.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks to one of those morning radio celebrity birthday bits I just learned that Kane Hodder, the man behind the mask of most slasher villains, is not the guy who plays Kane in the WWE.

Kane is not a common name, and so many wrestlers are also actors, so I just always assumed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Thanks to one of those morning radio celebrity birthday bits I just learned that Kane Hodder, the man behind the mask of most slasher villains, is not the guy who plays Kane in the WWE.

Kane is not a common name, and so many wrestlers are also actors, so I just always assumed.

Kane the wrestler is also a mayor in Tennessee now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm starting to believe that wrestlers make better politicians than the usual politician former careers like lawyer and doctor