Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Lyon posted:

Anyone reading Mao Ni’s (Ze Tian Ji/Way of Choices) next book The Path Toward Heaven?

Yeah. I am liking it quite a bit, though I am not up to date since it went beyond a paywall. From what I am seeing something big happened last update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Arkeus posted:

Yeah. I am liking it quite a bit, though I am not up to date since it went beyond a paywall. From what I am seeing something big happened last update.

Is the translation decent? Most Qidian stuff desperately needs editing, with some of it clearly being badly proofed MTL.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Arkeus posted:

I believe it's available on here https://www.wuxiaworld.co/ as well without a paywall. Not sure on all the licensing and what not but it's where I've been reading it.

Cynic Jester posted:

Is the translation decent? Most Qidian stuff desperately needs editing, with some of it clearly being badly proofed MTL.

The early chapters were a bit rough.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Lyon posted:

I believe it's available on here https://www.wuxiaworld.co/ as well without a paywall. Not sure on all the licensing and what not but it's where I've been reading it.

Just read it on https://toc.qidianunderground.org/ instead. Both are unlicensed, but QU doesn't try to make moeny off of it at least and doesn't host free chapters.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any stories similar to Forge of Destiny? Something about that kind of ersatz-school setting really clicks with me.

I read and enjoyed Mother of Learning which sort of scratched the same itch.

I know I've read one Exalted-fan fiction set in that same sort of school setting too but I can't remember the name again and even after many hours of Googling can't find it again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

Are there any stories similar to Forge of Destiny? Something about that kind of ersatz-school setting really clicks with me.

I know I've read one Exalted-fan fiction set in that same sort of school setting too but I can't remember the name again and even after many hours of Googling can't find it again.

Cradle by Will Wight is a standard rec for good English-language xianxia. Might be close enough to scratch your itch.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Anybody else reading The Daily Life of Being the Campus Idol's Fake Boyfriend? I recently stumbled across it. It's basically a slice of life story about two guys going to the same college. They've been crushing on one another for ages, but each one thinks the other one is straight, so they're desperately pretending to also be straight so that they won't mess things up. Unfortunately, neither of them knows how straight people actually act, so they keep winding up in ambiguous and funny situations. Basically just like real life, only funny and heart-warming.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgressionFantasy/comments/b1nytb/progression_fantasy_master_listmegathread/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks! I've already read a lot of these so I guess I'll give my thoughts as well.

Threadbare - If you haven't read this yet, you should. It's well written, whimsical, and delightful. Excellent use of puns. Complete but has a spin-off/sequel. Available for free on Royal Road but also published via Amazon.

Cradle - Fantastic. Easiest to get through kindle where it feels overpriced due to the relatively short length of each book but is otherwise fantastic. Very much an adventure story except for Ghostwater which is closest to the more typical cultivation narrative.

Mother of Learning - Good once you get through the rough start. MC becomes more likeable as the story progresses but also eventually leaves the academic setting.

Forge of Destiny - I obviously like it since I was asking for more like it. Typical streetrat learns not only how to kung fu to the beat, but also that friends are magical.

Savage Divinity - This one is only okay, but still significantly better than most of the trash that clutters this genre. I've read complaints about the MC accumulating a harem, but it's handled relatively tastefully and sex is kept offscreen so it didn't bother me. Still ongoing, but I found the most recent chapters less interesting than the previous ones and haven't been keeping up with it.

The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound - Started out looking pretty interesting, but it quickly became obvious that the author has no idea how to write combat scenes or training montages. Since that's most of what happens in this genre, I've put it down after only making it through the first 18 chapters.

Of these only Mother of Learning made significant use of a school setting which is a lot of what makes these stories work well for me. Although I enjoy Gamer a fair bit even if a lot of his powerups are random and/or feel unearned.

Arcane Ascension looks like it might be good, but my local library doesn't have it available in any format.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 17, 2019

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
For Cradle, I recommend getting the Kindle unlimited trial, reading through all of the books for free and then just remember to cancel the membership before the one month period is up.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

LLSix posted:

The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound - Started out looking pretty interesting, but it quickly became obvious that the author has no idea how to write combat scenes or training montages. Since that's most of what happens in this genre, I've put it down after only making it through the first 18 chapters.

Arcane Ascension looks like it might be good, but my local library doesn't have it available in any format.

+1 to all your other comments, but seeing as I've following this, I'll chime in. It's not bad by RRL standards, but that's faint praise, especially in comparison to the others on the list. It has super heavy RPG elements that it never drops, even though they lose all relevance very early in the story, so every so often you get a page or two worth of crap that has no meaning. It has some decent characters, but that's solely based on them not getting spotlighted for any extended amount of time. Any character that is followed for more than a couple of chapters tends to become worse and worse. This includes the main character. It has the worst main character. Super bland, with fuckall for agency and what little he has gets eroded as the story progresses. Now I mostly follow it out of a morbid curiosity to find out if the author will ever address why the (former) American college student is named Randidly Ghosthound.

Arcane Ascension is pretty good and happens at a school, with what is sort of a roguelike dungeon that they delve on the regular being a core focus of the story.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Furious Lobster posted:

For Cradle, I recommend getting the Kindle unlimited trial, reading through all of the books for free and then just remember to cancel the membership before the one month period is up.

Do this if you're hurting for cash.

If you have a decent paying job, buy the books.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Anias posted:

Do this if you're hurting for cash.

If you have a decent paying job, buy the books.
Well, the author would get the money for the KU reads, even if they're read during the trial.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Megazver posted:

Well, the author would get the money for the KU reads, even if they're read during the trial.

It is not a comparable amount. Ku reads are much worse than the commission on sales. Again, if you can afford and want to support an author, buy the book.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
In Threads of Destiny news, Ling has successfully crawled the dungeon and found a dead elder's sexnasium.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

In Threads of Destiny news, Ling has successfully crawled the dungeon and found a dead elder's sexnasium.

eww

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Started reading Street Cultivation. It starts off pretty good and 12 chapters in it is still cruising. Only one plot twist from way out in left field so far, but that one was a real gut punch in-universe. Overall writing quality is high and the author is updating every few days, which is impressively rapid.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 19, 2019

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

LLSix posted:

Started reading Street Cultivation. It starts off pretty good and 12 chapters in it is still cruising. Only one plot twist from way out in left field so far, but that one was a real gut punch in-universe. Overall writing quality is high and the author is updating every few days, which is impressively rapid.

I started reading this and just got past the big plot twist you mention. I feel like the debt leeches are incredibly contrived and poorly presented in the story. For one thing, this isn’t some dystopian society, this is the modern world with a twist, I find it very hard to believe that there are laws that allow debts to pass to inheritors like this. And if there are, surely the MC would be aware that this would be a possibility going in to the meeting with the lawyers given his parents issues, but it doesn’t even cross his mind. Or even if the MC is too young/poor to understand the law, his uncle surely should have known that this was a possibility. Also, the lawyer had previously mentioned that their debts had already been paid. All in all, I found it to be a really lovely plot contrivance.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Silynt posted:

I started reading this and just got past the big plot twist you mention. I feel like the debt leeches are incredibly contrived and poorly presented in the story. For one thing, this isn’t some dystopian society, this is the modern world with a twist, I find it very hard to believe that there are laws that allow debts to pass to inheritors like this. And if there are, surely the MC would be aware that this would be a possibility going in to the meeting with the lawyers given his parents issues, but it doesn’t even cross his mind. Or even if the MC is too young/poor to understand the law, his uncle surely should have known that this was a possibility. Also, the lawyer had previously mentioned that their debts had already been paid. All in all, I found it to be a really lovely plot contrivance.

(Street Cultivation post inheritance)That's the one. The author got a lot of feedback about that in the comments and if you read the next chapter the author lays out why that happened in their head-canon.

Even more than the idiocy of lawyers acting like low-life debt collectors, it's upsetting to me that it is a topic the MC remains stupid about despite finally wising up and asking his good uncle for advice. He should be paying off the leaches one at a time instead of spreading it across all three. That's just basic household economics (which, to be fair, almost no one in the middle class on down seems to be well informed about where I live).

If there's only one thing everyone is exceptionally stupid about, it will be one of the better web novels so I'm going to keep reading it for now. The overall quality of the writing remains good.

Fake Edit: I kind of wish the uncle had told the MC that the debt passing on was 100% illegal but that suing a large law firm like that was impossible/would cost more than paying the debt even though it was super evil. That would have felt more in line with current distopian trends.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 21, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Arcane Ascension is pretty good and happens at a school, with what is sort of a roguelike dungeon that they delve on the regular being a core focus of the story.

I read the free sample on Amazon for the first book, Sufficiently Advanced Magic, and the sample takes place entirely inside the dungeon. Writing quality is fine, but so far everyone but the MC has just ridiculous amounts of skill or power to the point where I'm worried they'll take center stage. Even the freaking book is more awesome than the MC!

The piece I read was also structured kind of weirdly. There's lots of extraneous details in the room and puzzle descriptions and the MC tends to bounce around them in a fashion suspiciously similar to Twitch plays Pokemon. Did the story start out as a CYOA like Forge of Destiny?

When does the school show up?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

LLSix posted:

When does the school show up?

Chapter 4 or 5, I think.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I listened to the first two Arcane Ascension audiobooks, and I can’t tell if I enjoyed them or not. The protagonist is the worst character in the books, and he keeps “inventing” new things even though they are extremely obvious and he can create them even though he’s like a high school freshman equivalent.

I mean, I did still finish them, but only because I spend a lot of time driving or running and audiobooks help pass the time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

isekai transporter finally got chapter 5 translated

https://mangadex.org/chapter/560582/1

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Anyone reading The Path Toward Heaven I assume Liu Ada was aghast because Jing Jiu can place his soul into the First Child Sword as well? So he essentially can have two sword bodies? I assume that’s the sword he’s preparing for his brother but who knows.

I am starting to like this as much as Way of Choices. It’s smaller in scope in some ways but I like the brother vs. brother aspect even though they both view Green Mountain as theirs. Someone in the story summed it up that even opposing each other when they interact and scheme they’ve still wreaked havoc on the Center Sect, killing the old dragon and hurting the unicorn.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Tobermory posted:

Anybody else reading The Daily Life of Being the Campus Idol's Fake Boyfriend? I recently stumbled across it. It's basically a slice of life story about two guys going to the same college. They've been crushing on one another for ages, but each one thinks the other one is straight, so they're desperately pretending to also be straight so that they won't mess things up. Unfortunately, neither of them knows how straight people actually act, so they keep winding up in ambiguous and funny situations. Basically just like real life, only funny and heart-warming.

Thanks for giving me yet another sluggishly updating BL novel translation to follow...

Seriously though, I had this in my 'to read' list on Novelupdates already, just hadn't got round to it yet. It's definitely been fun so far. Now to hope it won't be dropped.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Silynt posted:

Modern society is dystopic

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Silynt posted:

I don't know the precise circumstances here, but uh, I got some bad news for you in general. It is entirely possible, RIGHT NOW, in the US, for something like this to happen, and a lot of people get completely blindsided by it.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

I don't know the precise circumstances here, but uh, I got some bad news for you in general. It is entirely possible, RIGHT NOW, in the US, for something like this to happen, and a lot of people get completely blindsided by it.

Edit: never mind not a discussion I want to get into.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 28, 2019

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tunicate posted:

isekai transporter finally got chapter 5 translated

https://mangadex.org/chapter/560582/1

"Can you drift?" Oh jeezus. This is a great manga.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cultivation chat group is still really good

this is my webnovel update ty for reading

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A Will Eternal ended and it was really good. Definitely the best ending of any cultivation novel I've read.

Though it was pretty funny how Deathblade accidentally left out a name in the first version of the epilogue that completely changed the meaning of it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yinlock posted:

cultivation chat group is still really good

this is my webnovel update ty for reading

I like the recent chapter where Shuhang is finishing up a phone call with a senior and is like 'oh wait, I forgot to ask you something, did you hang up yet?' and he's like 'I've already lived for several thousand years, I'm in no hurry, I'll never hang up first'.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tunicate posted:

I like the recent chapter where Shuhang is finishing up a phone call with a senior and is like 'oh wait, I forgot to ask you something, did you hang up yet?' and he's like 'I've already lived for several thousand years, I'm in no hurry, I'll never hang up first'.

i liked when some kind of insane blood feud started because a small dog interrupted a senior's posting combo

i just finished binge-reading a couple hundred chapters myself after remembering it exists

shuhang may be starting to get op but his entire life is still 100% shenanigans and he has to work for every inch of it so i'm fine with that

e: like i don't think he goes through a single day without some insanely powerful lunatic appearing out of nowhere and howling for his blood who must be stopped in the dumbest way possible

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 11, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah in terms of 'in world' time it's been like, half a year and his progression is insanely fast.

But in terms of real world chapter count, he's still in third stage 850 chapters in, which (from my relatively limited experience) seems insanely slow for a cultivation novel. I think at this point most protagonists are ruling most of a planet.

Overall I feel like it evens out well, and I like that he died 57 times in a row earlier today and is still trying to figure out what his prophesied stroke of 'bad luck' is going to be.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tbf he died 57 times a few days ago, it's a brand new day and a majora's mask moon isn't plummeting directly towards his face, it's quite suspicious

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
He's been cultivating for about a month and a half (not counting the time acceleration chamber) which tends to freak out anyone who knew him before his summer break started. He's supposed to still be in his hundred day body strengthening regimen before he even starts cultivating seriously.

I liked how even the unflappable Senior White was surprised when he was listing out everyone who he had managed to offend in that time period, but there's one group he forgot to mention: the entire population of China, and anyone else who may have seen his movie.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
CCG is dope. Definitely my favorite.

Sindai posted:

A Will Eternal ended and it was really good. Definitely the best ending of any cultivation novel I've read.

Hmmm. I recall people who've read the Chinese version saying AWE's ending wasn't that great, because allegedly he had to wrap it up in a hurry because of Qidian drama. I'm glad to hear at least someone liked it. I think I stopped reading it in the mid-400s, when I reached the current end of the translation. I might pick it back up and finish it.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Sindai posted:

Though it was pretty funny how Deathblade accidentally left out a name in the first version of the epilogue that completely changed the meaning of it.

Around 1000 chapters or so into AWE and it's been my favorite so far no question. One of the few wuxia books I've read that has had me just laughing my rear end off numerous times.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
In the raws, Shuhang has been cultivating for 8 months. I'll leave the results to your imaginations. Story is still pretty great, and worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Megazver posted:

CCG is dope. Definitely my favorite.

Hmmm. I recall people who've read the Chinese version saying AWE's ending wasn't that great, because allegedly he had to wrap it up in a hurry because of Qidian drama. I'm glad to hear at least someone liked it. I think I stopped reading it in the mid-400s, when I reached the current end of the translation. I might pick it back up and finish it.

Yeah, I heard several major plot points just went unresolved.