Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
New additions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

2: And these things that look like baby kiwis, but I'm like 90% sure kiwi trees don't look like that. Kiwi leaves are round, yes?

Almond, maybe? They look kinda green and fuzzy like that, and the leaves are similar.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That’s a nice cephalotus

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My tree is coming today but the loving mail guy is taking loving forever to get to my house today for some reason. :mad:

Get here faster dammit! I want to plant my poo poo before it’s dark out! :argh:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I finally got my tree...

... and it is not the tree that I ordered.

I ordered a 3-in-1 dwarf cherry tree that grows Bing, Lapins, and Montmorency cherries. Instead I got a tree that grows Van, Rainier, and Lambert cherries.

:argh::argh::bang::argh::argh:

I mean I’m sure they’re all perfectly fine varieties, but they’re not the ones I ordered. Also some googling tells me they’re all sweet varieties, and I really wanted one tart variety in there to make pies and jellies and poo poo with.

Please convince me that these cherries are actually good and fine and that I should NOT light the entire tree on fire and send its charred corpse back to the orchard as a dark and sinister warning not to anger me again.

EDIT: I should also mention that when I planted the tree (yes I took lots of pics of this, I’ll post those later), a few of the roots were exposed above the soil line. I need to know if this is a problem or not. EVERY SINGLE THING I’VE READ said to plant the tree so that the graft union is 2 to 3 inches above the soil line, which I’m PRETTY SURE I did (I had trouble telling where the graft union was or what it was supposed to look like), but that meant leaving some upper roots uncovered and that scares the poo poo out of me.

Did I gently caress up?

Pic of what I’m talking about. It’s kinda hard to see, but the part of the tree I thought was the graft union is on the left side, right along the underpart of the line where the trunk turns darker because that part of the tree was submerged in water.

This was right after I put compost on top of the soil. There’s a layer of mulch covering this now.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 18, 2019

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Try to swing it so that you can get a refund, keep the tree, and re-order the correct tree.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Try to swing it so that you can get a refund, keep the tree, and re-order the correct tree.

At this point in the season, I doubt they’ll even have the correct tree (it was pretty much a coin-flip whether or not they’d have it when I ordered it two weeks ago), but I do want to order another tree from this place later so maybe I can get that for free.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s maybe planted a little high, but that’s way better than planted too deep. Put and inch of compost over the roots if you’re really worried, but probably with mulch it will be fine.

I’ll be pretty amazed if you actually get cherries in east Texas. I always thought they just grew in Michigan or somewhere much colder, but I would love to be surprised.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It’s maybe planted a little high, but that’s way better than planted too deep. Put and inch of compost over the roots if you’re really worried, but probably with mulch it will be fine.

I put at least 1 or 2 inches of compost over the soil, but I left a little bit of space between the trunk and the compost layer per the instructions of a guy I talked to at the nursery I bought the compost at.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ll be pretty amazed if you actually get cherries in east Texas. I always thought they just grew in Michigan or somewhere much colder, but I would love to be surprised.

A lot of places seem to think cherry trees will grow well in Texas. :shrug:

Guess we’ll find out.

Either way, I still want to plant a flowering cherry tree in my front yard later.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Rainer are the best at least so there is that

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am having a great deal of trouble resisting the urge to go outside in the middle of the night with a flashlight and just stare at my new tree in some strange futile attempt to make it grow and bloom early with my mind.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

I am having a great deal of trouble resisting the urge to go outside in the middle of the night with a flashlight and just stare at my new tree in some strange futile attempt to make it grow and bloom early with my mind.

:same:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Now it’s raining like a motherfucker and I’m having trouble resisting the urge to go outside in the middle of the night to make sure my tree hasn’t been knocked over in the heavy rain. :ohdear:

I didn’t stake it.

I should have staked it.

gently caress WHY DIDN’T I STAKE IT!?

EDIT: nm I just checked on it and it’s fine. I’m gonna stake it tomorrow tho :)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 18, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

While staking my tree this afternoon I noticed this:

I’m pretty sure that bud didn’t look like that yesterday.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 19, 2019

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Me, a week ago: "Hmm, I wonder if my houseplants would be a bit happier if I tweaked their soil a little bit. Let me see if there's any advice online"

Me, 10 cubic feet of soil amendment materials piled in my garage later: "welp I guess I just make my own dirt now."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
All you people complaining about amending your dirt. Meanwhile, I've been trying to sift out white marble chips from some PO's top dressing 40 years ago judging from the depth. I'm so thankful I bought a hori hori. Best tool for planting in gravel there is.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hubis posted:

Me, a week ago: "Hmm, I wonder if my houseplants would be a bit happier if I tweaked their soil a little bit. Let me see if there's any advice online"

Me, 10 cubic feet of soil amendment materials piled in my garage later: "welp I guess I just make my own dirt now."

Seriously. Researching cactus/succ mix and I appreciate all the information available on it, but they also get way too deep, probably in order to be able to keep writing new articles on the topic. Like, I'm sure all of the below (which I just pulled from the top articles when you google it) may be slightly better for a certain type of cactus, but I also imagine the simplest (#2) will work for 90%. And I already have all this stuff (except for the coir, that's hard to find in EU), but it's still a research adventure to pick one.

3 parts potting soil
2 parts coarse sand (turface or poultry grit)
1 part perlite (or pumice)

1 part soil
1 part washed sand
1 part gritty amendment such as pebbles or even pot shards

5 parts potting soil
2 parts pumice
1 part coir

1 part potting soil
2 parts pumice / perlite
1 part coir

A pinch of rock dust
1 part coarse sand
4 parts bagged potting soil – like an African Violet mix
5 parts perlite

#3 is the weird one, that's way more dirt mix than the other 4

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Yeah cactus mixes seem to be arcane arts when you first start reading about them... and then you just realise that as long as you cut your soil with something gritty, everything will be fine.

My highly complex cactus soil mix is...... 1 part sifted cacti/succulent mix, 1 part pumice. Works a charm!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

elgarbo posted:

Yeah cactus mixes seem to be arcane arts when you first start reading about them... and then you just realise that as long as you cut your soil with something gritty, everything will be fine.

My highly complex cactus soil mix is...... 1 part sifted cacti/succulent mix, 1 part pumice. Works a charm!

The funny thing is how extremely confidently different "articles" state dramatically different advice. Between reading all of the though you do get to piece together a whole picture based on what each chooses to mention it omit.

Like, are they going to be inside or or outside? If outside, are they going to be exposed to occasional rain or high humidity? It seems like inside you might want a little bit of retention, wheras if you are outside in a humid climate you probably want to avoid it. I saw one site use the same mix very dry/gritty mix for succulent but add a little coir to their "indoor mix" so it holds onto water a little bit longer / with less attention.

Another interesting data point was component size. A few references seem to be very adamant on using only components with the exact same grit size, saying otherwise your smaller grits will flow through and you will end up with compaction. On the other hand, some recipes have you mixing pumice and sand.

The other tricky thing is learning to understand what role things serve and what is interchangeable:

Like I have a buttload of perlite (I'm prepping a bunch of SIP pots for container gsrdening) so while I can see how pumice would be preferable I now understand they fill basically the same role so I can swap them.

Same with coir and peat, although man did the Coconut lobby get to the naturopath gardening scene or what? I can't see how you would be watering your succulents enough that the difference in compaction would matter, and the sustainability problems of peat are dramatically overstated/completely nonexistant despite the repeated exhortations I keep seeing that peat harvesting is worse than offshore oil drilling (and somehow ignoring the impact of packaging and shipping coir from across the globe).

Turface/Calcined Clay is another cool one I hadn't come across before that I'm interested in trying out.

One other bit of useful info I did gather is that I guess vermiculite pretty quickly degrades into clay as it gets wet (buy that it also has a very high Cation Exchange Capacity and so can be beneficial beyond simple aeration and moisture purposes by increasing fertilizer bioavailability).

Does anyone use biochar? I hear so much about how good it is for gardening, but see it mostly omitted from the container/houseplant scene.

Also, people putting compost in their pots :sigh:

E: anyways, Horti/Agriculture -- falling down an endless series of rabbit holes you didn't even know existed

Hubis fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 19, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I planted my tree in one part native dirt, one part Miracle Gro Performance Organics in-ground soil (somebody at Home Depot strongly recommended this stuff over a tree and shrub mix), one part landscaping mix from a local nursery (I think the brand name on it was Jalesco?), and a few trowel-fuls of cotton burr compost.

I wanted to use more native dirt like this thread recommended but I wasn’t sure if mine was quite up to the task of supporting such a young tree, so I compromised by breaking up the native dirt at the bottom of my hole and mixing it with my amended soil mix to make a sort of transition point for the roots to get acclimated to the straight native dirt. Hopefully that’ll actually work.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

I planted my tree in one part native dirt, one part Miracle Gro Performance Organics in-ground soil (somebody at Home Depot strongly recommended this stuff over a tree and shrub mix), one part landscaping mix from a local nursery (I think the brand name on it was Jalesco?), and a few trowel-fuls of cotton burr compost.

I wanted to use more native dirt like this thread recommended but I wasn’t sure if mine was quite up to the task of supporting such a young tree, so I compromised by breaking up the native dirt at the bottom of my hole and mixing it with my amended soil mix to make a sort of transition point for the roots to get acclimated to the straight native dirt. Hopefully that’ll actually work.

Seriously, it’s going to be fine. All these different mixes are pretty much going to be awesome and your tree is going to be loving awesome.

You won’t kill your tree just because your ratios were slightly off or whatever. Just keep it well watered and you’re good to go.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Seriously, it’s going to be fine. All these different mixes are pretty much going to be awesome and your tree is going to be loving awesome.

You won’t kill your tree just because your ratios were slightly off or whatever. Just keep it well watered and you’re good to go.

Don't listen to him! I bet there's a rodent eating himself a girdling cut all the way around the trunk *right now*! You'd better go check.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m sure it’ll be fine, I’m just real excited about finally having a fruit tree in my yard that I planted all by myself. Abilify is a hell of a (good prescription) drug.

But yeah I should probably curb my post count now that I’ve broken the top 30. :stonk:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m sure it’ll be fine, I’m just real excited about finally having a fruit tree in my yard that I planted all by myself. Abilify is a hell of a (good prescription) drug.

But yeah I should probably curb my post count now that I’ve broken the top 30. :stonk:

Nothing wrong with being excited about plants! And good for you -- better neuro-atypical life through chemistry, my Dogg.

:spergin::hf::spergin:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So about that bud I posted a pic of yesterday...

This one.

I. M. Gei posted:

While staking my tree this afternoon I noticed this:

I’m pretty sure that bud didn’t look like that yesterday.

Here is what it looked like the day before when I planted the tree.

I don’t know if this is good or bad.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Those pretty much look like normal buds to me, but being transplanted is very stressful for trees, especially bareroot. Don’t be surprised of it drops/aborts some buds this spring, and there’s a decent chance it won’t look super healthy this year. If it starts looking real rough, cutting it back a bit may be necessary, but that looks it was pruned pretty heavily when it left the nursery so it should be good.

Don’t fertilize it-that will only stress the tree more. You want to let it grow roots at its own pace, not force it to grow a bunch of leaves it can’t support yet.

Keep it well mulched and make sure it doesn’t dry out, but don’t overwater. Water it deeply (leave the hose running a 1/4” diameter stream of water, put it by the base of the tree and let the hose run for 30 minutes) every week or two. Waaaay more plants have been killed by excess care than by being ignored. If you dug it a nice deep, wide hole and it isn’t planted too deep, you’ve done all you can do and it should be fine.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hubis posted:

Words about soil mixes

The biggest advantage of coir over peat in my experience is that peat becomes quite hydrophobic when it dries out. For most plants, this is no drama because you'll keep the soil persistently moist. For cacti/succulents that need prolonged dry periods though, it can be a pain.

That said, coir is also much more readily accessible than peat in Australia, so it's no real drama sourcing coir when I need it (mostly for seed raising.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Those pretty much look like normal buds to me, but being transplanted is very stressful for trees, especially bareroot. Don’t be surprised of it drops/aborts some buds this spring, and there’s a decent chance it won’t look super healthy this year. If it starts looking real rough, cutting it back a bit may be necessary, but that looks it was pruned pretty heavily when it left the nursery so it should be good.

Don’t fertilize it-that will only stress the tree more. You want to let it grow roots at its own pace, not force it to grow a bunch of leaves it can’t support yet.

Keep it well mulched and make sure it doesn’t dry out, but don’t overwater. Water it deeply (leave the hose running a 1/4” diameter stream of water, put it by the base of the tree and let the hose run for 30 minutes) every week or two. Waaaay more plants have been killed by excess care than by being ignored. If you dug it a nice deep, wide hole and it isn’t planted too deep, you’ve done all you can do and it should be fine.

Yeah it’s been pruned pretty much entirely. I don’t think pruning it is gonna be necessary this year.

I was told it might be okay to give it a slow-release fertilizer a few weeks after planting. I don’t know if I should, but if I do then I’m thinking it’ll be about six or eight weeks from now.

I’m glad you said something about water. I’ve been wondering how much to water it, and my guess was about a gallon of water every two days or something. It rained a good bit right after I planted it, and right now the mulch is still a bit damp from that.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

elgarbo posted:

The biggest advantage of coir over peat in my experience is that peat becomes quite hydrophobic when it dries out. For most plants, this is no drama because you'll keep the soil persistently moist. For cacti/succulents that need prolonged dry periods though, it can be a pain.

That said, coir is also much more readily accessible than peat in Australia, so it's no real drama sourcing coir when I need it (mostly for seed raising.)

This makes a lot of sense, thanks.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
My outdoor succulents are covered with spider mites. How do I get rid of them?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does anybody itt know anything about fruit tree espaliers? Like how big they get, or how they grow, or how to grow and train them properly?

I found a nursery in my hometown that sells 4-in-1 and 6-in-1 apple tree espaliers where the grafts stick out of the tree in a kind of Texas Tech double-T logo shape, and I’m kinda thinking about putting one in my side yard depending on its growing habits.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Try regular watering over the foliage. Spider mites hate that. Unfortunately any damage they've already done will probably remain scarred.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

Does anybody itt know anything about fruit tree espaliers? Like how big they get, or how they grow, or how to grow and train them properly?

I found a nursery in my hometown that sells 4-in-1 and 6-in-1 apple tree espaliers where the grafts stick out of the tree in a kind of Texas Tech double-T logo shape, and I’m kinda thinking about putting one in my side yard depending on its growing habits.

Told you that you’d get hooked!

I haven’t looked into it deeply myself, but I think you may have to look into setting up some guide cables on posts to properly support and train the branches.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Ive got 8 blue lake pole beans germinated in a 18g container. Do I need to thin them? Is it ok if there are two plants growing on each pole?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

An oil (Neem is best, though it can be harsh)/bio or organic soap (not detergent) mixture in water does OK. Like a teaspoon-tablespoon of each in a liter of water. It sticks to and murders a lot of soft-bodied stuff like mites, aphids, and some caterpillars

caveats:
-it can be too harsh for some leaves; like I leave it on lemons with no problem but it burned the underside of avocado leaves. I don't know about succulents, so wash it off after 5-15 minutes if you're not sure
-as a contact solution that doesn't stick around, it's easy to miss stragglers/eggs so it's rarely a final solution, and they'll often reappear

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Coir is used pretty commonly as substrate for reptile and tarantula enclosures. Here in the UK you can get compressed bricks of it in pretty much any pet store. I've never tried planting anything in it, but I assume coir is pretty much the same no matter what the packaging is.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am totally doing the bottom left thing with apple and peach trees along the side of my house. It has great soil and gets tons of sunlight, and it isn’t currently being used for anything else.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Can anyone recommend some decent looking flowering plants that are 30-40" fully grown that will survive Indiana winters? We pulled some gross looking bushes out of the landscaping when we bought our house. They were non-flowering, prickly limbs and red/green leaves. Then, we went to Lowes and impulse bought some plants that included three hibiscus to replace the ugly shrubs we pulled out. They were really nice and flowered all summer and fall. Of course, we didn't research them and the tags didn't indicate that they wouldn't survive winter and they're dead now.

Any suggestions?

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 21, 2019

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Mr. Vile posted:

Coir is used pretty commonly as substrate for reptile and tarantula enclosures. Here in the UK you can get compressed bricks of it in pretty much any pet store. I've never tried planting anything in it, but I assume coir is pretty much the same no matter what the packaging is.

The one thing I'd watch out for with non-horticultural coir is that it may have a lot of residual salts on it. A lot of times coir for plants should have been washed before compressing, but common advice is to give the coir a few rinses before using it with plants to make sure any salts are washed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

I. M. Gei posted:

I am totally doing the bottom left thing with apple and peach trees along the side of my house. It has great soil and gets tons of sunlight, and it isn’t currently being used for anything else.
Dunno how well that will work with peach trees. Remember that they flower/fruit on young branches, while apples and pears will fruit from the same spurs for many years.