Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I had a bunch of important poo poo to do today, but I did this instead.

https://twitter.com/jd_cohen/status/1118945056382181379

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lol, not surprised that's how they would be solving Discovery's continuity issues.

The ship is sent almost a thousand years into the future and everyone in the present is sworn to secracy to never mention the events of the show, the characters, the Spore Drive or the Discovery itself.

Guess season three is going to be set in the far future.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Timby posted:

Good luck getting it to run on Windows 10. Klingon Academy was coded with the blood of the wretched and the damned.

Someone made a .dll or directx injector for it years ago, I've played it through on Windows 10 no problem a few times over the years.

http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/ka/

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 19, 2019

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

You just activated my trap card!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Doggles posted:

You just activated my trap card!

How did I never notice that? That's the sort of touch that makes Star Trek great. "We're still the humans you know and love, just real fuckin' future-y"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Brawnfire posted:

How did I never notice that? That's the sort of touch that makes Star Trek great. "We're still the humans you know and love, just real fuckin' future-y"

Michael Okuda did some good-rear end work.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Drone posted:

Michael Okuda did some good rear end-work.

Agreed

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Okuda-rams

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Okuda was cool for posting on TrekBBS during the entire run of Enterprise and leaking all sorts of poo poo (and also talking about how toxic the workplace was).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Okuda somehow seems max cool even though him and his wife are huge nerds. Somehow he seems to rise above on the fukken nerd meter unlike Sternbach who just seems like a huge dork every time I see anything on him.

I do like how Okuda always does interviews with his wife right by him. That's pretty cool, since they are artistic partners too.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Timby posted:

Okuda was cool for posting on TrekBBS during the entire run of Enterprise and leaking all sorts of poo poo (and also talking about how toxic the workplace was).

Explain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jeeves posted:

Okuda somehow seems max cool even though him and his wife are huge nerds. Somehow he seems to rise above on the fukken nerd meter unlike Sternbach who just seems like a huge dork every time I see anything on him.

I do like how Okuda always does interviews with his wife right by him. That's pretty cool, since they are artistic partners too.

Sternbach does sell tons of blueprint and design books on his eBay page though, which is cool. I bought a TNG LCARS negative and some DS9 design stuff from him a few years back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is he the one who sells bloodwine mugs too?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Getting towards the end of season 1 for my TNG rewatch. I’m on the episode where the aliens steal the children of the Enterprise (S01E17). Data just explained that the aliens cloak their planet by having a shield bend the light rays around the planet. While this is a commonly held belief on how cloaking would actually work, wouldn’t that mean that no light breaks through to help actually make the planet habitable?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonights episode of TNG is the one about how Lwaxana Troi finds true love through an AOL chat room and wants to marry this person. I've never really liked this episode but it did have a few hilarious moments and clever dialog. Just the overall premise and conflict wasn't that terribly interesting. Some of it though did have special meaning to my wife and I.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Is he the one who sells bloodwine mugs too?

Yep, complete with decals for just about all the various appearances. I’ve seen him list other props and crew things before, but they always go for gonzo money.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Veotax posted:

Lol, not surprised that's how they would be solving Discovery's continuity issues.

The ship is sent almost a thousand years into the future and everyone in the present is sworn to secracy to never mention the events of the show, the characters, the Spore Drive or the Discovery itself.

Guess season three is going to be set in the far future.

So..., Star Trek: Andromeda , then?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_(TV_series)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Automatic Slim posted:

So..., Star Trek: Andromeda , then?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_(TV_series)

Spoilers for the end of Discovery. (which I haven't seen)

Andromeda isn't like that at all, I actually thought you'd be going for the Mass Effect one! I mean the federation has been destroyed and etc in Andromeda, within living memory almost. It's a different type of story than just 'it's the future'.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've been rewatching DS9 on and off lately, and I can't believe that the second part of the S3 opener actually goes with the 'it was all a dream simulation inside the cast's minds' thing. And the Vorta, Borath, is so openly hostile towards Odo!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taear posted:

Spoilers for the end of Discovery. (which I haven't seen)

Andromeda isn't like that at all, I actually thought you'd be going for the Mass Effect one! I mean the federation has been destroyed and etc in Andromeda, within living memory almost. It's a different type of story than just 'it's the future'.

I also haven't seen the end of Discovery, but they implied during Calypso that the Federation has somewhat fallen by by the future that discovery is going to, and is now a corrupted bad guy called the V'draysh

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I saw "Wink of an Eye" on Heroes & Icons last night. Normally, I rag on Season 3 of TOS being low-budget even for a low-budget sci-fi TV show from the 1960s, but I have to say Spock drinking the Scalosian water to accelerate himself was a very nicely-done piece of acting on Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelly, and Majel Barret's parts.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

MikeJF posted:

I also haven't seen the end of Discovery, but they implied during Calypso that the Federation has somewhat fallen by by the future that discovery is going to, and is now a corrupted bad guy called the V'draysh

Discovery jumps 3000 years into the future and Calypso takes place 10,000 years, so there’s still a big gap between them

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CaveGrinch posted:

Discovery jumps 3000 years into the future and Calypso takes place 10,000 years, so there’s still a big gap between them

No, Discovery goes forward 950 years to the 33rd century, when Calypso takes place.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CaveGrinch posted:

No, Calpyso takes place roughly a thousand years after Discovery's 22nd century, and I've seen interviews with producers saying that Discovery jumped 950 years in the finale.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why did they decide to erase all knowledge of Discovery?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Bad writing

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

No, Calpyso takes place roughly a thousand years after Discovery's 22nd century, and I've seen interviews with producers saying that Discovery jumped 950 years in the finale.

The computer in Calypso says the ship has been abandoned for a thousand years, so if Discovery ends up 950 years in the future with a crew, Calypso must be 1950 years after the 22nd century.

They seemed unsure if there were remnants of control still around, knowledge about it could allow it to get the sphere data and we get the bad future.

But yeah really to explain why nobody in the future uses spore drives.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
what's in the box guys

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tighclops posted:

what's in the box guys

the box is a spheroid region 705 meters in diameter

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We should be so lucky.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

the box is a spheroid region 705 meters in diameter

Thanks I needed this today :haw:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

-awesomelyanon

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

-awesomelyanon
this odowns

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm rewatching DS9 S1 against my better judgement, having not slogged through it in my last... number, rewatches. I think the older I get the less interested I am in the "Starfleet officers don't get some hosed up alien culture and they try to gently caress with it" episodes. Captive Pursuit, the Wesley trips into a garden one, all of those. I'm not sure why necessarily either, they're not all bad and certainly growing up with one of them (or more) every season did a lot for me growing up with less than present parenting, but nowadays it's just kind of trite. It might be having rewatched them so many times but I feel like it might also just be something Trek leans too heavily on time and time again to really club those ideas home.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I have arrived at Yar Dies To Black Goo in my TNG rewatch and it’s too soon. :rip: Yar you beautiful strong security person who has not actually done anything but I still love anyway

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Windows 98 posted:

I have arrived at Yar Dies To Black Goo in my TNG rewatch and it’s too soon. :rip: Yar you beautiful strong security person who has not actually done anything but I still love anyway

~ R A P E G A N G S ~

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Orv posted:

I'm rewatching DS9 S1 against my better judgement, having not slogged through it in my last... number, rewatches. I think the older I get the less interested I am in the "Starfleet officers don't get some hosed up alien culture and they try to gently caress with it" episodes. Captive Pursuit, the Wesley trips into a garden one, all of those. I'm not sure why necessarily either, they're not all bad and certainly growing up with one of them (or more) every season did a lot for me growing up with less than present parenting, but nowadays it's just kind of trite. It might be having rewatched them so many times but I feel like it might also just be something Trek leans too heavily on time and time again to really club those ideas home.

Move Along Home is unironically my favorite episode of all of Star Trek.

choose their path. double their peril, double the prize.

ALAMARAINE!!!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The other day, a friend of mine shared the Yar "I walk around the puddle of goo" version of the "Crit Fail" meme and I realized that Tasha was the only Chief Security Officer who died like a Star Trek Security Officer should - from some unexpected, random environmental threat.

Everyone who puts in that uniform knows they'll probably get offed by an exploding rock or flower projectile, but Tasha was the only leader who died like one of her people.

(Not counting easily-punked Mirror Odo, of course.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Windows 98 posted:

I notice that really Worf doesn't do anything in season 2 as "head of security", his only storylines are about being a Klingon.
It makes me feel less like they didn't know what to do with Yar and more that they just didn't know what to do with a head of security when you're in a society that's not meant to have conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Move Along Home is unironically my favorite episode of all of Star Trek.

choose their path. double their peril, double the prize.

ALAMARAINE!!!

It's not my favorite but it's definitely top 10 for me and I've definitely scared my cat by sneaking up on him and yelling "FOURTH SHAP HA HA HA"