Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

mewse posted:

No, I got the surara with outemu reds, it's fullsize

That's the one I saw but I would prefer a TKL layout because that's what I have now (redragon kumara) and so I still have room on my desk for my new gaming keypad (redragon diti). I might just break down and get the tecware but I've had a good experience with redragon so far especially with their gaming keypad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So I've used blues, reds, and browns and I have to say I like browns the best so far, if I was looking for an even more tactile switch, what should I be looking at?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ItBreathes posted:

So I've used blues, reds, and browns and I have to say I like browns the best so far, if I was looking for an even more tactile switch, what should I be looking at?

Clears if you want an off the shelf option but they're a lot heavier than browns. If you're up for a soldering project or getting a hotswap board you can look in to switches like Zealios, Kailh box royals, Outemu sky, or T1s from KBDFans.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Just got my kbdfans T1 today and they seem very similar to zealios V1. The spring is visibly larger and they might have a larger tactile bump. They're really nice.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Tangental to keyboards themselves, but has anyone ever gotten a custom printed desk mat for under the keyboard anywhere?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

mewse posted:

Just got my kbdfans T1 today and they seem very similar to zealios V1. The spring is visibly larger and they might have a larger tactile bump. They're really nice.

It’s a remake of holy pandas at half the price right? Any idea how these compare to Kailh box burnt orange?

Too bad they aren’t available in a silent variety.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

It’s a remake of holy pandas at half the price right? Any idea how these compare to Kailh box burnt orange?

Too bad they aren’t available in a silent variety.

Supposedly they are holy panda clones but I don't have any holy pandas to compare. They are pretty obviously gaterons. I'd consider them affordable/better(?) zealios.

I don't have any tactile box switches to compare, sorry.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

clockwork automaton posted:

Tangental to keyboards themselves, but has anyone ever gotten a custom printed desk mat for under the keyboard anywhere?

Search custom desk mat or custom mouse pad on Aliexpress, there are a handful of people who do it. I'm waiting on one right now, I can post pics when it shows up.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have a wireless keyboard recommendation? My girlfriend works from home 2-3 days a week and the desk setup isn't ideal. It doesn't need to be mechanical since I think wireless is rare for those.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
I want to get a nice keyboard for work, and I rules out blues based on advice here. This would be my first non-company issued board (never used mechanical), and I’m considering either clears or topre (possibly a Realforce R2 with 55g weight). I do a lot of typing, much of which is excel modeling and PowerPoint work, with a lot of shortcut usage.

From what I gather clears are stiffer, particularly after actuation, whereas topres are somewhat lighter and drop off more after actuation (given it’s basically a rubber dome). I like the idea of a tactile switch non-clicky switch (for the office) which is why I am considering these two.

So I’m sure this has been covered before, but does anyone have any opinions on which way to go given my use case?

Edit: should note that I want a full sized standard layout board with the number pad.

BV fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 18, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You could go ergonomic with something like Microsoft's Sculpt or Surface Ergonomic.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Reddit says that input club are producing a keyboard with Hall effect beam spring switches, full-size, for $99

I'm skeptical that this will exist but I really want it to happen. A board with a cool switch made possible by volume production of a common form factor (outside of mkb enthusiasts) sounds like it could absolutely shake up the field

Reddit discussion
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/beqz7w/the_silo_beam_switch_magnetic_mission_critical/

Store page (not available yet, waiting list only)
https://kono.store/products/keystone-analog-mechanical-keyboard

Information & discussion
https://www.keebtalk.com/t/the-silo-beam-switch-beam-spring-switches-for-the-modern-era/5783

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Reddit says that input club are producing a keyboard with Hall effect beam spring switches, full-size, for $99

I'm skeptical that this will exist but I really want it to happen. A board with a cool switch made possible by volume production of a common form factor (outside of mkb enthusiasts) sounds like it could absolutely shake up the field

Reddit discussion
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/beqz7w/the_silo_beam_switch_magnetic_mission_critical/

Store page (not available yet, waiting list only)
https://kono.store/products/keystone-analog-mechanical-keyboard

Information & discussion
https://www.keebtalk.com/t/the-silo-beam-switch-beam-spring-switches-for-the-modern-era/5783

Exciting if they can pull it off. The force curve looks a lot different than IBM beamspring, they try to say it's similar with the a/b labeling. It's true that hall effect sensors are cheap, we've just needed a company like Kailh to start mass producing switches

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Once Input Club have their beamspring switches available, I'll probably design and build one of my ortho boards out with beamsprings.

In other news, the long wait for XDA Oblique is almost over - I got my shipping notification yesterday night.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Exit Strategy posted:

Once Input Club have their beamspring switches available, I'll probably design and build one of my ortho boards out with beamsprings.

FWIW, they’re also redesigning the PCB to be contactless. (It’s Hall effect, they can sense actuation from outside the switch I guess?) I imagine you’ll have trouble sourcing an ergo/ortho PCB for them.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

How are these switches connected to the board? Is there an interrupted copper line in the board that gets bridged when the magnet in the switch gets close enough or something?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

pgroce posted:

FWIW, they’re also redesigning the PCB to be contactless. (It’s Hall effect, they can sense actuation from outside the switch I guess?) I imagine you’ll have trouble sourcing an ergo/ortho PCB for them.

Yes. Hence the design-and-build. I will absolutely put a PCB on the market for contactless beamsprings. Hell, yes. If they're anything like as heavy as BOX Navies I'll roll my entire set of boards over to that.

Lord Stimperor posted:

How are these switches connected to the board? Is there an interrupted copper line in the board that gets bridged when the magnet in the switch gets close enough or something?

Generally there's an SMD sensor on the reverse side of the board that has the ability to detect magnetic fields. When the beam spring pulls the magnet up, the sensor detects the shift in the field and registers a keypress.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I'm in as long as they don't try to shove in KLL on there.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Exit Strategy posted:

Yes. Hence the design-and-build. I will absolutely put a PCB on the market for contactless beamsprings. Hell, yes. If they're anything like as heavy as BOX Navies I'll roll my entire set of boards over to that.

Generally there's an SMD sensor on the reverse side of the board that has the ability to detect magnetic fields. When the beam spring pulls the magnet up, the sensor detects the shift in the field and registers a keypress.

Oh nice, that sounds like a clean-looking board and easy assembly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd like a recommendation, please.

I need a mechanical keyboard that isn't super loud, has a number pad and is hopefully full of obnoxious colors.

I'm willing to pay up to $100 and hopefully get it through Amazon.

My home office is now open air and my old Motospeed, while fun and crunchy, is just way too loud.

As I'm still new to this hobby, it doesn't have to be best in class or anything. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The noise issue is central.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I learned to type on electric typewriters; I typed, depending on my employer, on most of the minicomputer/PC keyboards in use in the 1970s-1980s,. I miss the unmushy feel of those older keyboards. I ordered the small (4-key) AKWOX tester, which comes with red, blue, brown, and black Cherry switches, and I definitely prefer the browns. Many of the entry-level mechanicals have red keys, which are too mushy for me.

For an entry-level mechanical, what's wrong with the VELOCIFIRE TKL01 ? It has Outemu browns. (Originally had ninja, but has changed to Outemu.) I'm not a serious gamer; I play only indie games and games that have low reflex requirements. I do write. I don't care about programmable LED backlighting. I don't expect be buying custom keycaps. I have never in my life used the num pad.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I learned to type on electric typewriters; I typed, depending on my employer, on most of the minicomputer/PC keyboards in use in the 1970s-1980s,. I miss the unmushy feel of those older keyboards. I ordered the small (4-key) AKWOX tester, which comes with red, blue, brown, and black Cherry switches, and I definitely prefer the browns. Many of the entry-level mechanicals have red keys, which are too mushy for me.

For an entry-level mechanical, what's wrong with the VELOCIFIRE TKL01 ? It has Outemu browns. (Originally had ninja, but has changed to Outemu.) I'm not a serious gamer; I play only indie games and games that have low reflex requirements. I do write. I don't care about programmable LED backlighting. I don't expect be buying custom keycaps. I have never in my life used the num pad.

I've got the full-size of it at work and I love it. You can't go wrong for the price.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's a good basic mechanical keyboard but lacks n-key rollover. For typing and most gaming it's probably fine but if you're going to be pushing down a bunch of keys simultaneously all over the keyboard you may have issues, depending on the keys.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The velocifires w/outemu browns are good

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’ve been thinking of getting a kinesis ergonomic advantage 2, but I have one question. I prefer the space bar on my left thumb, not my right. Can I swap those two? The default is backspace on my left thumb, space bar on my right. (I don’t have full RSI, but I do have a tight right thumb and ergonomic keyboards do help, currently on a Microsoft sculpt and its good.) I cant believe I missed another TG Alice drop (though the idea of soldering is a little extra as far as I’m concerned.)

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

LionArcher posted:

I’ve been thinking of getting a kinesis ergonomic advantage 2, but I have one question. I prefer the space bar on my left thumb, not my right. Can I swap those two? The default is backspace on my left thumb, space bar on my right. (I don’t have full RSI, but I do have a tight right thumb and ergonomic keyboards do help, currently on a Microsoft sculpt and its good.) I cant believe I missed another TG Alice drop (though the idea of soldering is a little extra as far as I’m concerned.)

I have an Advantage 2 and there's a built in remap to map any key to any other key right on the keyboard. I use it for caps->esc for vim, but it should also work to maps backspace to space and space to backspace.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mmm11105 posted:

I have an Advantage 2 and there's a built in remap to map any key to any other key right on the keyboard. I use it for caps->esc for vim, but it should also work to maps backspace to space and space to backspace.

Thanks! How are the cherry brown keys? I like the blues on my old CM board

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love the feeling of my new Velocifier keyboard. It's just right. However, the backplate rings when I press a key. Is this something that O-rings might address? DGMW, I'm going to use this, but I'd prefer not to annoy the other persons in the sitting room.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
XDA Oblique is pretty great.

+ and - are pgup/home and pgdn/end respectively. Keypad = is a second enter key.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
My dad gave me a Best Buy gift card for my birthday (birthday gifts from parents.txt) and I've been wanting to get a TKL red switch keyboard for gaming so I ordered a HyperX Alloy FPS Pro that has actual Cherry MX Red switches instead of the cheap Outemu switches. Trip report to come after it arrives Thursday.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
In very loosely related keyboard news, Massdrop rebranded themselves to just be Drop. They also seem to be shifting away from the whole lower prices because it's a group buy thing.

Anyway, they're releasing a full-size version of the K-Type/CTRL and it might just be the ugliest 1800 layout keyboard I have ever seen. Holy poo poo, look at that thing. These guys have completely lost the plot.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Constellation I posted:

In very loosely related keyboard news, Massdrop rebranded themselves to just be Drop. They also seem to be shifting away from the whole lower prices because it's a group buy thing.

Anyway, they're releasing a full-size version of the K-Type/CTRL and it might just be the ugliest 1800 layout keyboard I have ever seen. Holy poo poo, look at that thing. These guys have completely lost the plot.

I guess it was not making all the money and some investor balked

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Seeing a lot of groupbuys outside of massdrop lately so I’m not sure if it’s a big loss.

Kono, Novelkeys and KBD fams seem to be doing more and more groupbuys and often use proxies which are nice if you don’t live in the US. And of course there always has been Geekhack for GBs.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

Seeing a lot of groupbuys outside of massdrop lately so I’m not sure if it’s a big loss.

Kono, Novelkeys and KBD fams seem to be doing more and more groupbuys and often use proxies which are nice if you don’t live in the US. And of course there always has been Geekhack for GBs.

Not to mention mass drop has had less good buys. Take Alice boards. Super hot, and even the clones cost like $300 to make. If they had been smart they would have built one. I was tempted to buy an Alice clone last month but the idea of doing the soldering turned me off.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Constellation I posted:

They diluted their brand, they started selling poo poo you could get on Amazon with the Amazon price being the final “group unlock”.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ok, advice/recommendation request. Keyboard primarily for gaming, but I do a little of everything with it.

I had a Corsair K90 that didn't do well when I spilled some liquid on it. That's kind of OK because I didn't really like the K90, the Cherry Red's seem kinda mushy to me and a few other things about the K90 were just not ideal.

I'm leaning toward the Roccat Vulcan Aimo or maybe a Hyper Alloy with brown switches. Any feedback?

I've also seen reviews of the Razer Huntsman Elite as a cadillac of gaming keyboards, but I am not entirely sure why the "optomechanical" keys are at all advantageous. I don't mind spending money on a keyboard I use quite a bit.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I think out of all those, I'd pick the Hyper Alloy with Cherry Browns.

The Roccat uses TTC switches which are not great compared to the other China clones. Plus those thin keycaps are just waiting to crack over time. It doesn't look like this keyboard is selling for cheap either.

gently caress no on the Razer. The laser portion of the switch is just a gimmick and does nothing but raise cost. What is interesting about it is that because of it's design (each key has their own stabilizer), it'll feel different than all the Cherry MX/clones out there. With Razer's quality control and pricing though, just avoid it.

As for Cherry Red' feeling mushy, it might just be that you don't like linears. Cherry Browns are tactile, but only a little bit. To be honest that tactility would probably feel like a kinda scratchy Cherry Red during the tactile bump.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Lockback posted:

Ok, advice/recommendation request. Keyboard primarily for gaming, but I do a little of everything with it.

I had a Corsair K90 that didn't do well when I spilled some liquid on it. That's kind of OK because I didn't really like the K90, the Cherry Red's seem kinda mushy to me and a few other things about the K90 were just not ideal.

I'm leaning toward the Roccat Vulcan Aimo or maybe a Hyper Alloy with brown switches. Any feedback?

I've also seen reviews of the Razer Huntsman Elite as a cadillac of gaming keyboards, but I am not entirely sure why the "optomechanical" keys are at all advantageous. I don't mind spending money on a keyboard I use quite a bit.

Agree with this, I've been using a k70 with reds for a few years and while it's fine, it does feel a bit "mushy".

I think I'm going to go to Microcenter this weekend and try out a few different models there. Is corsair generally still the sweet spot for mechanical keyboards?

Maybe it never was..thats just what I was told 3 years ago lol.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I’m pissed mass drop didn’t name their new 1800 keeb the DELETE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Butter Hole posted:

Agree with this, I've been using a k70 with reds for a few years and while it's fine, it does feel a bit "mushy".

I think I'm going to go to Microcenter this weekend and try out a few different models there. Is corsair generally still the sweet spot for mechanical keyboards?

Maybe it never was..thats just what I was told 3 years ago lol.

I'd say CoolerMaster is the sweetspot for gaming keyboards. It has gaudy RGB that gamers love, non-lovely or optional software and it's available in mainstream retailers. On the enthusiast side, the software is optional and it uses a standard keyboard layout so all our horrific keycaps can all fit on them without needing a weird compatibility set.