Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Glenn Quebec posted:

I read that whole entry gently caress Sonic, gently caress Sega.

This is before the deviantartification of Sonic was even imaginable. And yet.... one can see the seeds of his destruction growing even then.
It's like a snapshot of a good friend from their youth, but you now know the tumors were inside him at the time.

EDIT: Also lol at the girl power character being named BOOBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The original Sonic design had shark teeth, and a big boobed blonde human girlfriend. Sega of America made the changes to the final design.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grape posted:

This is before the deviantartification of Sonic was even imaginable. And yet.... one can see the seeds of his destruction growing even then.
It's like a snapshot of a good friend from their youth, but you now know the tumors were inside him at the time.

EDIT: Also lol at the girl power character being named BOOBS.

the deviantartification of sonic basically started in 93 when they put out the serioud cartoon and comics with a billion side characters

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
look up ken penders

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

the deviantartification of sonic basically started in 93 when they put out the serioud cartoon and comics with a billion side characters

Oh yeah I forgot about those.
Weren't they acceptable at first, and only became extremely anime later? How early did they become super anime?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

look up ken penders

Siri, give me the platonic image of a pedophile please?

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

NFL 95, because it gave us one of the best video game commercials ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GTwZViwKMk

lmao sega marketing was genius during the genesis era

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

The thing I remember most about Daytona 2 was EGM complaining about the soundtrack featuring Winger.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kak posted:

The thing I remember most about Daytona 2 was EGM complaining about the soundtrack featuring Winger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x4_XJnNJWg

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Genesis Jurassic Park was made by developers who didn't know how to make a functional game...

I think I still have magazine with the article that talks about the development, even then it was clear it was them taking all these ideas, digitized actors and dinosaur models, survival mechanics, etc. putting them together with gum and baling wire and jamming it in a cartridge like a suppository the size of a grapefruit.

The second game was pretty much "gently caress it, lets recycle the graphics and make it an action game", probably why they subtitled it Rampage Edition.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Tato posted:

I periodically play the Desert-Jungle-Urban Strike games as well. Fun to win the Gulf War yourself in an Apache helicopter.

I always read frigate as fry-gate :downs:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grape posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about those.
Weren't they acceptable at first, and only became extremely anime later? How early did they become super anime?

the first 3 cartoon series were licensed by DiC entertainment and were western animation

Not sure who was licensing out Sonic for cartoons at the time, but the DiC cartoons coincide with Naka and Sonic Team being based out of STI/Sega of America.

cartoon 1 which was cartoony and fun and extreme and reminded us not to hop in dryers

cartoon 2 was cool and dark and was the basis for the comic and was in the real heyday and was good

cartoon 3 (underground) was in the period where the series was in limbo and they just kind of hosed around and it went nowhere like Sega of america did with sonic in the late 90s

after that Sonic was basically put squarely back in control of sega of japan Sonic Team which is who put together sonic adventure, redesigned sonic for 3d, and comissioned sonic x which was done by japanese anime studios and was roughly the plot of the 2 sonic adventure games with some anime kid

meanwhile the comics mostly followed cartoon 2 and eventually sonic x before it collapsed into a giant mess

theres some comic panel out there which is supposed to reconcile how theres an entire human city (station square from sa1) on Sonic Comic's Planet Mobius which had like no humans on it and was run by anthromorphs

Grape posted:

Siri, give me the platonic image of a pedophile please?

let's quote from his wikipedia page

quote:

In December 2011, Penders announced plans to utilize Echidna characters he created for the Archie comics in a graphic novel series entitled The Lara-Su Chronicles.[4] Said series is planned to feature Lara-Su, one of his original characters created during his work at Archie, as its protagonist. On March 5, 2014, Penders announced on his Twitter account that his characters were no longer echidna but Echyd'nya, an alien species.[5] 

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 20, 2019

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Shadowrun for the genesis was the best game, and I still go back and play it to this day. Decking was just super satisfying and I've never found anything quite as good.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the driving in that game is handled the same way as this game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR75ZpwHOBs

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
There's also a THIRD distinct Shadowrun game on Sega CD, but it only game out in Japan. It's a visual novel type game like Snatcher so not really as open and cool as the regular Genesis game. There's a ton of text in it, I still don't think any translations are finished.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Then there's the piece of poo poo Xbox 360 game

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
There was a Mario Lemieux hockey game for Genesis, and the headline for every magazine preview was "Now You Can Play Mario on Genesis" hahahaheeheehoooo how clever

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

Comix Zone and Kid Chameleon are 2 of the great games of all time.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Remember how incredible ninja games used to be?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Tato posted:

There's also a THIRD distinct Shadowrun game on Sega CD, but it only game out in Japan. It's a visual novel type game like Snatcher so not really as open and cool as the regular Genesis game. There's a ton of text in it, I still don't think any translations are finished.

This always bummed me out, you'd think there would be an English let's play of it floating around at least.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Tato posted:

Holy poo poo, Snatcher was amazing. Probably the best game to come from Mega/Sega CD.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Which Shinobi game had the incredible Hulk in it?
Also some of the Wonder Boy games loving owned hard.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzh7kMcuDYY

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mr. Bones posted:

There was a Mario Lemieux hockey game for Genesis, and the headline for every magazine preview was "Now You Can Play Mario on Genesis" hahahaheeheehoooo how clever

It was loving weird, you played horizontally instead of vertically like most hockey games.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
yeah bat man sounds like a guy who probably has bat wings that he flaps to fly around as his signature trait

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Kharnifex posted:

Which ones?
They all look like pro-tier baby games, and that's Nintendo's domain

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

i loved all the "gently caress copyright" bosses in that game but gently caress the hair whip guy

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It was loving weird, you played horizontally instead of vertically like most hockey games.

the best hockey game, Blades of Steel, is horizontal. fight me

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
NES is different. Ice Hockey is horizontal too

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

the best hockey game, Blades of Steel, is horizontal. fight me
breakaway 98

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

sh1fty posted:

Comix Zone and Kid Chameleon are 2 of the great games of all time.

Kid chameleon still holds up. This was another game I beat after finding my genesis almost a decade ago. I had to use the secret warp on the second stage (thanks gamefaqs!), because it is otherwise loving impossible without a game genie. The floating board helmet and the hurricane helmet were so loving rad.

E. Also, the soundtrack loving rocks.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 21, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

I got to play Crusader of centy at a friend's a couple of times and I wish I had played more.

I found out my folks did not sell any of my old snes junk, so I still have a complete copy of Hagane and Robotrek. If only I'd been older and with more money on my wallet, I would've swept clean all those closing down video rental stores offloading pre-N64 gems like Crusader of centy, gunstar heroes and rolling thunder. There were heaps of "cheap" NES games complete in their boxes too, I nearly ended up with a copy of mega man 5. That poo poo is crazy expensive today.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

SpaceAceJase posted:

Which ones?
They all look like pro-tier baby games, and that's Nintendo's domain

2 and three, I think one was adapted from an arcade game.

You beat a mechanical dragon in 2 and three starts off where that ended and you got cursed.

The Ninja and Psycho fox were probably the coolest master system games I had. They cost 5 dollars per cart and I had alot of games.

I think the only card style one I had was this weird vampire one that horrific sounds

https://youtu.be/Vy3kF-PmZas

I remember one Shinobi game had incredible hulk who threw cars and may have also been a terminator, I remember spider man.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Has anyone considered that perhaps SNES is what Genesisn't?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5_2lxkQL0&t=140s
this fight looks pretty cool

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ka0 posted:

I got to play Crusader of centy at a friend's a couple of times and I wish I had played more.

I found out my folks did not sell any of my old snes junk, so I still have a complete copy of Hagane and Robotrek. If only I'd been older and with more money on my wallet, I would've swept clean all those closing down video rental stores offloading pre-N64 gems like Crusader of centy, gunstar heroes and rolling thunder. There were heaps of "cheap" NES games complete in their boxes too, I nearly ended up with a copy of mega man 5. That poo poo is crazy expensive today.

lol Hagane complete is worth like $1,200 on eBay. Sell that poo poo

Taxenema
Feb 17, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

lol Hagane complete is worth like $1,200 on eBay. Sell that poo poo

Weirdly I sold all my Nintendo carts to some guy on Craigslist. All except Battletoads which fell in between the seats of my car. When I got home after driving for like 40 minutes to meet him I get a text and he is like

“where is battletoads?”

I just texted him back and was like “haven’t you heard? Battletoads is the hardest game.”

Then I went inside and got a cold beer.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Taxenema posted:

Weirdly I sold all my Nintendo carts to some guy on Craigslist. All except Battletoads which fell in between the seats of my car. When I got home after driving for like 40 minutes to meet him I get a text and he is like

“where is battletoads?”

I just texted him back and was like “haven’t you heard? Battletoads is the hardest game.”

Then I went inside and got a cold beer.

Did this story make you seem like less of an rear end in a top hat in your head?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
One time I sold my old phone to someone and they were like what's the password and I was like passdon't and chugged a Natty ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Kharnifex posted:

Revenge of Shinobi had the junkyard boss where you fought "Arnold" who started to turn green as he got damaged then turned into the Terminator. And as someone else noted, 2 versions, one with spiderman/batman and another with spiderman/bat demon-ish but not batman guy. I think they changed the godzilla boss too.