Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

"This is still a problem! It's been a problem for months! Why isn't there a fix?"
"I asked you for logs. Did you get the logs for me yet?"
"No, that's too much work!"/[total ghosting]/"But why can't you do it for me?"/"JUST FIX IT"

The best part? The source of the problem is too many security agents. My recommendation? Consolidate and use fewer. Security's recommendation? LOL gently caress HER HEY ALSO DEPLOY THIS NEW AV CLIENT KTHX.

Wait your security department is actively deploying multiple A/V agents at the same time? Isn't that like terribad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As long as only one is doing real time protection, you can minimize some of the issues, but depending on the av clients involved you could actually be greatly increasing your threat profile in addition to destroying workstation performance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Guess who found a SQL server with real time scanning of the database files turned on

“This server performs really badly and the CPU usage is always really high” uh yeah, no poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kensei posted:

Wait your security department is actively deploying multiple A/V agents at the same time? Isn't that like terribad?

Isn't most A/V software actually worthless? Or at least at the home consumer level I've heard that, no clue on the business side of things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

iospace posted:

Isn't most A/V software actually worthless? Or at least at the home consumer level I've heard that, no clue on the business side of things.

In comparison to the antivirus software built in/available from Microsoft for any version of Windows that's still running, yes, the other anti-virus packages are worthless when they're not actively dangerous.

At some business scales they can become useful in conjunction with other appliances and stuff (but usually businesses are not doing anything that needs that versus regular Defender).

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

iospace posted:

Mots A/V software is actually dangerous, for example Symantec.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

iospace posted:

business av is basically security theatre. users will still happily run cryptolockers and click on urgent documents shared to them from yourboss@dropbx.com regardless. it's not installed to actually do anything more than the standard windows protection, it's there because if there's ever an incident the it team can point to it as an example of how they've already taken steps to try to prevent these incidents so please just fund basic computer security training for the users instead of another av solution.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Yeah, it's all security theater. It's not entirely AV clients (I was being reductive), but we have a number of security clients that do specific things, like block un-whitelisted processes from running, or report back to a specific log aggregator if some sort of hinky poo poo happens. The problem is that we tried to replace one patching agent with another last fall, but the new one doesn't do everything the old one did, so we had to keep the old one. And the new one passed the RFI because it has the ability to do reporting and inventory, but it turns out those processes are stepping on the toes of other ones we're already using. There's also something like 3 other agents doing some kind of inventory/reporting/logging, and all of these things need specific dependencies whitelisted in every other agent's config. Oh, and there's Defender. Except on some machines, where we had to install a different process whitelisting daemon because the old one was causing problems for a specific dev team, but then we discovered that it reports to Windows that it's an AV client and Defender goes, "Big Gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later!" This was not intended behavior, and security is now having a meltdown because I told them about it. :v: I'm very popular at work.

Basically, I keep using the analogy that there's too many dicks on the dance floor, and they keep stepping on each other's feet. We can't make the dance floor bigger, and we can't stop the music, so we need to get some of those dicks to loving leave already. Either that or figure out how to keep them in their own spaces so they can't interact with the other dicks on the dancefloor, but so far I can't get them to listen, so let's get the bouncer to remove some.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

iospace posted:

It's useless except for checking the box with your Internal Compliance/Auditors.

[√] Increased attack surface of all endpoints so that we can have a thing in the system tray that says Protected.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

Guess who found a SQL server with real time scanning of the database files turned on

“This server performs really badly and the CPU usage is always really high” uh yeah, no poo poo.

You should reply advising them that the correct way to say this is “this server performs really poorly” then set it “Pending Customer Response”, hth?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Anything AV related that isn't windows defender is poo poo, and windows defender works fairly well for what it is honestly, especially when you're using it with a more advanced endpoint management suite like sccm.

That being said the only real way to have a noticeable impact (aside from not allowing people to actually use the computers) is to have a proper security suite with firewalls, AV, email & web filtering, application whitelisting, etc, and with ALL of that you are still going to get people who click on YOURPACKINGINVOICE.pdf.7zip.exe that finds a way to run out of the one folder you can prevent executables from running out of because it interferes with the CEO's mp3 player software from 2002. Or that one legacy program that nobody understands how it works or why we need it but it requires all users to be local admin. Or that software vendor for your ERP system that says "We dont support configurations where windows firewall is turned on".

IT security is smoke and mirrors. The only way to be protected in an online world is not to be online.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Digital_Jesus posted:

Anything AV related that isn't windows defender is poo poo, and windows defender works fairly well for what it is honestly, especially when you're using it with a more advanced endpoint management suite like sccm.

That being said the only real way to have a noticeable impact (aside from not allowing people to actually use the computers) is to have a proper security suite with firewalls, AV, email & web filtering, application whitelisting, etc, and with ALL of that you are still going to get people who click on YOURPACKINGINVOICE.pdf.7zip.exe that finds a way to run out of the one folder you can prevent executables from running out of because it interferes with the CEO's mp3 player software from 2002. Or that one legacy program that nobody understands how it works or why we need it but it requires all users to be local admin. Or that software vendor for your ERP system that says "We dont support configurations where windows firewall is turned on".

IT security is smoke and mirrors. The only way to be protected in an online world is not to be online.

Wish you would protect yourself in the online world (by not being online (so we wouldn’t have to read your posts (which, by not being online, you would be unable to make))).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Schadenboner posted:

Wish you would protect yourself in the online world (by not being online (so we wouldn’t have to read your posts (which, by not being online, you would be unable to make))).

Heh angry AV vendor employee spotted. What exactly was so awful about Digital_Jesus' post that you felt the need to respond like this? He's pretty much spot on.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh loving boy it's time for another AV/no-AV slapfight! :nallears:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A ticket came in as Urgent severity from deskside IT paging my whole team, my boss and his team any my manager stating “Hey Agrikk- we have a record of a machine that you say is a “workstation” that our software scans show is running Windows server 2016. Is this the case?”

Tee up the flood of responses by angry managers to the ticket saying “was it worth it to page all of us to ask Agrikk a [dumb] question?”

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Who's slapfighting? Everyone should have AV, just dont bother paying for more than MS already gives you and don't expect it to be a miraculous catch-all that makes you immune to infection?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Digital_Jesus posted:

Who's slapfighting? Everyone should have AV, just dont bother paying for more than MS already gives you and don't expect it to be a miraculous catch-all that makes you immune to infection?

Yeah, third party AV is complete poo poo. I’m legitimately unsure if it’s better/less bad to use third party AV or to “raw dog it” (as the kids say these days), both options being far inferior to using Defender which is real good and which everyone should use.

I just like nesting parentheses.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Is there any hard data about the goonsensus on AV software? I hear it in the thread a lot, but I'm not 100% convinced of it.

Also, I'm hoping that this round of the argument also gets heated enough for a round of angry custom titles to get bought. I find it hilarious how personal at least one person takes this subject.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
The real* value in most enterprise AV is being able to make sure everyone is running it, updating it, and notifying IT if it finds anything: if virus {notify people; possibly turn off network port/something like that}. If a virus runs, the damage is probably done and you need to have someone step in to do something by pretty much any security standard. But people like the sales gifts from Symantec since they get a nice box of chocolates every year for spending $40k on crap. Windows Defender/SCCM can accomplish all of this in pretty much the same fashion as SEP but for a lot less money - if you can't provide data showing the heuristic performance being objectively better and worth the expense, it's a no-brainer. Also possible is if you are an incompetent/overworked admin and can't be assed to go learn some monster like SCCM for endpoint protection and want the off-the-shelf solution. Like most easy fixes, you pay in other ways, like it deciding to gently caress over you on an update or costing a bunch of money.

*: to IT personnel. To management, the value is definitely checking a box for cyber security insurance or the like.

Recommendation: Windows Defender almost always, enterprise AV like Symantec Endpoint Protection sometimes, any consumer-grade AV never.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Agrikk posted:

A ticket came in as Urgent severity from deskside IT paging my whole team, my boss and his team any my manager stating “Hey Agrikk- we have a record of a machine that you say is a “workstation” that our software scans show is running Windows server 2016. Is this the case?”

Tee up the flood of responses by angry managers to the ticket saying “was it worth it to page all of us to ask Agrikk a [dumb] question?”

People who do this should be flogged imo

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Oh sorry I forgot my dumb story: traveling to an out of state site for two days to do an emergency setup for ~70 people and they haven’t even finished doing the network pulls so everyone is using cellular internet lmao. Good jorb. 22 hours of work in two days!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I turned up to a new site today to rack a switch and a couple of routers and the cabinet was in pieces leaning against a wall, and we'd paid for a contractor to supply and install it, which was fun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Digital_Jesus posted:

I recently saw a case where users clicked on an email that made it through all the various filters and contained nothing but an image that looked like a PDF attachment that linked to a forms.office.com document. That document just said "Login to continue" and has username and password fields. Approximately one in eight users entered their details :negative:

The RCA had an amazing threaded diagram of how each different security control failed in the simplest ways. It was god-damned masterful.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We're seeing increasing numbers of those that are stored in legitimate SharePoint Online tenants of companies that have had accounts compromised. It's a minefield and it's not reasonable to expect a piece of software to be completely effective.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH having looked at this client's stuff for a few weeks now the amount of poo poo their various solutions catch is amazing. This one was just so simple and well crafted that it slipped through every crack like some evil version of Flappy Bird.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The only way to secure the network is to keep the users off it, they can't be trusted.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

LethalGeek posted:

The only way to secure the network is to keep the users off it, they can't be trusted.

This is a fairly common attitude in the industry and it doesn't help anyone.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I mean, generally if someone does something noticeable, like download a blacklisted file or open a Red Team email, security is on the phone with that person within 15 minutes and will not let it go until they talk to you, you take your computer offline WHILE ON THE PHONE WITH THEM, and get it to someone to replace or reimage post-haste.

This was funny when I was doing some pen testing for one side of security, and the other side of security saw my computer go red in some system or another of theirs. I was on 3 tasks at the same time and wasn't bothering with my phone, so I was a bit startled when one of the NOC analysts slumped over and said, "Yo, Lance (my work nickname). What'd you gently caress up? They just called me and said they left like 8 voicemails to tell you to go to provisioning."

"What the gently caress for?"

"Dunno. But you need to reimage."

"They told me to go to provisioning?"

"Yep."

"Did you tell them I'm the source of the images provisioning uses?"

"No, I don't give a gently caress. Just, like...answer your phone, I have poo poo to do," and he left.

I had the most ADORABLE conversation with security when I finally did pick up. "Yes, I know how to reimage. Yes, I'm actually doing it right now. What? No, I can do it at my desk. Do you know who I am? No, really, check my profile...yes. Yes, that one. Yes, that's me. Yeah. I know, I built it. It's reimaged, can I go now?"

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

PBS posted:

It helps the booze salesfolk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh loving boy it's time for another AV/no-AV slapfight! :nallears:

AV gives deskside management someone to blame while the techs re-image a shitload of systems.

PBS posted:

It's not wrong

:colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PBS posted:

The most vulnerable network element will always the human one.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
An ticket came in, I didn't know what was wrong or why but now I've fixed it I've learnt something. Hurrah. That doesn't happen so much anymore I wanted to post about it :)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Spudalicious posted:

The real value in Windows Defender is being able to make sure everyone is running it, updating it, and notifying IT if it finds anything
Recommendation: Windows Defender always
Fixed, as I'm pretty sure you can do all of what you're saying through PowerShell and Group Policies.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

angry armadillo posted:

An ticket came in, I didn't know what was wrong or why but now I've fixed it I've learnt something. Hurrah. That doesn't happen so much anymore I wanted to post about it :)

congrats

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

PBS posted:

mllaneza posted:

It's not wrong

:colbert:
Yeah I was being smart but as long as Dumbass McClueless human gets a login all the security in the world won't matter ultimately. It's all bandaids and hope.

Vvv edit: GF legit used Winamp right until Monday when win7 finally got upgraded to 10. I have a feeling she'll reinstall it fast once whatever default garbage pops up the first time she hits an MP3.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 24, 2019

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Digital_Jesus posted:

[...] mp3 player software from 2002. [...]

I thought everyone still used WinAMP.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I see most people use foobar2000 and AIMP when they don't use spotify.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The most vulnerable network element will always the human one.

Finally validation for my ACL “allow any any” command :smug:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bigass Moth posted:

Finally validation for my ACL “allow any any” command :smug:

wait you mean this isn't standard practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
An emergency ticket came in, a client's only Citrix server powered off in the middle of the day and now nobody can work!

Boot it back up, check the event logs and find the shutdown event.

Started by the person who filled the ticket.

Who has domain admin on their domain.

:holy: