Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I just finished Labyrinth, that has to be a high point in terms of Alien body horror :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Sunswipe posted:

Some of the problem might be the relative cheapness of CGI special effects. The 80s seems to be a sort of perfect point at which really good special effects are possible, but have to be used with care, so the story has to reflect that. Modern films can have the monster leaping about in full view far more easily and cheaply, so why bother with relatable characters and tight storytelling? Just have the Predator/xenomorph/Thing rampage around for ninety minutes and you've got a movie.

It’s criminal how much they covered up the practical effects they did for the thing prequel with shiny looking cheap rear end wet cgi. The movie wasn’t great and nowhere in the same category as the ‘82 film, but that goddamn cgi was a turd.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Yeah, they wanted to make smart sci-fi but bit off more than they could chew. Annihilation (the book) was way more of an existential critique on someone's drive towards self-destruction and rebirth/redemption, and the 'monster' is brilliant and indescribable in a medium where its actions and environment can only be shown briefly. The movie tried to action it up with the shimmer and the bear and the exploding Ventress but it's basically unadaptable.

Action sci-fi is in a weird place though, totally. Movies from the 80s took the old 'what's trying to kill this person/people' theme and perfected all the answers so that everything else seems like a knock-off. Xenos are the perfect I'm-gonna-getcha-in-this-dark-hallway monster, Predators are the perfect intelligent silent stalker monster, the Thing is the perfect hidden-in-plain-sight monster, and the first two Terminators covered futuristic robots. What else can be explored that's not a reboot? Ghosts?

Yeah, they should have went all in with the smart stuff. Make it like 1970s Solaris or poo poo, the remake with Clooney. Something like Moon. Instead they went for a cosmic body horror thing but didn't really pull the trigger on it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sunswipe posted:

Some of the problem might be the relative cheapness of CGI special effects. The 80s seems to be a sort of perfect point at which really good special effects are possible, but have to be used with care, so the story has to reflect that. Modern films can have the monster leaping about in full view far more easily and cheaply, so why bother with relatable characters and tight storytelling? Just have the Predator/xenomorph/Thing rampage around for ninety minutes and you've got a movie.
Extremely this. And Blake Snyder.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Got Labyrinth today!

I don't think I paid you yet Xeno. What's your pay pal again?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Got Labyrinth today!

I don't think I paid you yet Xeno. What's your pay pal again?

xenomrph (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thanks, glad you got it!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, they wanted to make smart sci-fi but bit off more than they could chew. Annihilation (the book) was way more of an existential critique on someone's drive towards self-destruction and rebirth/redemption, and the 'monster' is brilliant and indescribable in a medium where its actions and environment can only be shown briefly. The movie tried to action it up with the shimmer and the bear and the exploding Ventress but it's basically unadaptable.

Action sci-fi is in a weird place though, totally. Movies from the 80s took the old 'what's trying to kill this person/people' theme and perfected all the answers so that everything else seems like a knock-off. Xenos are the perfect I'm-gonna-getcha-in-this-dark-hallway monster, Predators are the perfect intelligent silent stalker monster, the Thing is the perfect hidden-in-plain-sight monster, and the first two Terminators covered futuristic robots. What else can be explored that's not a reboot? Ghosts?

Edge of tomorrow was good imo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
That new World War Z game.
Imagine that but with Marines and Aliens.
:( why does this not exist already

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

happyhippy posted:

That new World War Z game.
Imagine that but with Marines and Aliens.
:( why does this not exist already

Randy Pitchford.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

One thing I’ll always be mad about is that the Colonial Marines multiplayer was actually super good, but by a week after launch there was nobody playing it.

IIRC though the 2010 Aliens vs Predator had/has a horde mode thing that was actually pretty solid. Better than the rest of the game for sure.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

One thing I’ll always be mad about is that the Colonial Marines multiplayer was actually super good, but by a week after launch there was nobody playing it.

IIRC though the 2010 Aliens vs Predator had/has a horde mode thing that was actually pretty solid. Better than the rest of the game for sure.

shout out to me for buying that game day one, sight unseen. a lesson was learned.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah, they should have went all in with the smart stuff. Make it like 1970s Solaris or poo poo, the remake with Clooney. Something like Moon. Instead they went for a cosmic body horror thing but didn't really pull the trigger on it.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea they remade Solaris and I'm super intrigued! Gonna check it out on Amazon. Thank you goonbro.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol I preordered it. It did have some value though, like I said the MP was fun for the week it was alive and if nothing else getting drunk and MST3K-ing the campaign with friends was funny.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Edge of tomorrow was good imo

Good point, it was fun. I'd posit that the baddies were incidental to the time gimmick but it was a cool concept. What was the other Tom Cruise flick where he was an unwitting clone maintaining a border for alien overlords? It was like Moon meets an Independence Day epilogue.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Good point, it was fun. I'd posit that the baddies were incidental to the time gimmick but it was a cool concept. What was the other Tom Cruise flick where he was an unwitting clone maintaining a border for alien overlords? It was like Moon meets an Independence Day epilogue.

oblivion, a movie I forgot about completely until this very post

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Yes! Not the most memorable flick, yeah

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Oblivion was great and I was just going to bring it up when the "what's up with modern action sci-fi" question was raised.

Also, Minority Report.

So basically the answer here is just put Tom Cruise in action sci-fi, period.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

He's an utter dipshit but bred in a nutrient tank to look good running and seeming competent in physically threatening situations so yeah, the dude can pick a script that plays to his strengths. All glory to Xenu, dude, go nuts.

More on topic-- how are you mail-order guys liking Labyrinth? I remember getting it in college and I was blown away by both Plinkett's artwork and the story. Dark Horse always knew how to match up top-tier talent when they had a gem to work with. It's just so drat good.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ElectricSheep posted:

So basically the answer here is just put Tom Cruise in action sci-fi, period.

He's just practising to battle Xenu. Clever, really.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lmao I rewatched the ending of Annihilation just in case it was me. No, it's dumb and the CGI stinks.

If you like reading I'll always shill for the Revelation Space series, Blindsight and Echopraxia.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I liked Annihilation quite a bit. The ending was deeply weird and unsettling, the creature's motivations unclear and alien. I didn't have any complaint about the special effects, either, the creatures they made were really cool.

I was sold on it as having a kind of Stalker premise, but it provides a lot more thrill/horror than that film.

I read the book after watching the movie and thought the movie was better, but it was very different so kind of hard to directly compare. But I'd recommend the movie over the book for sure.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol I preordered it. It did have some value though, like I said the MP was fun for the week it was alive and if nothing else getting drunk and MST3K-ing the campaign with friends was funny.

I played Colonial Marines late last year some time and it wasn't bad. I'm guessing they finally patched the poo poo out of it. I don't recall running into a single bug.

Aliens/AvP multiplayer is always really fun so that's unfortunate that it died right away. Does the 2010 AvP have any active MP? I started playing that game after starting this thread but stopped after beating the Marine campaign.

Maybe I should just get really drunk and play Alien: Isolation so I don't cry.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Alien Isolation rules except for Ripley's voice actor, the only thing she gets right is all the death sounds

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Annihilation is good but it’s much more like STALKER the game or even Roadside Picnic the book than it is like Tarkovsky’s Stalker. Let alone 80s monster pics like Alien or Predator or whatever, which it’s absolutely nothing like.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wish there were more monsters in Anhillation

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't like Annihilation. I was probably intoxicated when I watched it but it really didn't draw me in that much. The CGI was pretty bad too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I;m thinking about thos Aliens

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Random Alien question that I've always wondered about but never found an answer to:

Why was the crew of the Nostromo so bummed about having to go back into hypersleep? When Lambert tells them how long they have to go before getting back to Earth, they all collectively sigh and the mood in the room just plummets. At one point, Brett tries to put a joke on it about having to go back "to the ole' freezer-inos" but you can tell he's trying to make light of something.

Was there ever any cut scenes or backstory or anything to describe why the crew hates the thought of going back into hypersleep?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I enjoyed Annihilation a lot (tbf, I was high) but this is the correct answer:

Annihilation (the book) was way more of an existential critique on someone's drive towards self-destruction and rebirth/redemption, and the 'monster' is brilliant and indescribable in a medium where its actions and environment can only be shown briefly. The movie tried to action it up with the shimmer and the bear and the exploding Ventress but it's basically unadaptable.

I wish I had read the book before seeing the film.

Also gently caress you guys, Amanda Ripley's voice actor was great in that role.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

null_pointer posted:

Random Alien question that I've always wondered about but never found an answer to:

Why was the crew of the Nostromo so bummed about having to go back into hypersleep? When Lambert tells them how long they have to go before getting back to Earth, they all collectively sigh and the mood in the room just plummets. At one point, Brett tries to put a joke on it about having to go back "to the ole' freezer-inos" but you can tell he's trying to make light of something.

Was there ever any cut scenes or backstory or anything to describe why the crew hates the thought of going back into hypersleep?

Presumably, the longer you sleep, the more boxed sets that will be waiting for you when you wake, with all the spoilers being impossible to avoid.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

null_pointer posted:

Well Burke tells Ripley that the hibernation sickness (?) should wear off after being in hypersleep for 57 years. So I guess we can assume that any amount of time in hypersleep probably isn't pleasant when you wake up. The Marines appear to be reasonably ok when they wake up but I'm not sure how long they were in hypersleep.

My guess is that it isn't too bad but also not fun. Maybe waking up with a minor hangover. :shrug:

Mister Speaker posted:

I enjoyed Annihilation a lot (tbf, I was high)

Watching movies drunk vs high are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Although lately, I watch 100% of the movies (almost 2 per night) drunk and high. Kinda balances it out. I can really pay attention but I don't have severe mood swings. I get REALLY into movies and get a full range of emotions. I cry a lot during sad films or even films where just a sad thing happens. Titan AE gave me my first existential crisis and I have no idea how. So that's a hint on how movies can affect me.

The joys of bipolar.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 22, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

A Strange Aeon posted:

I liked Annihilation quite a bit. The ending was deeply weird and unsettling, the creature's motivations unclear and alien. I didn't have any complaint about the special effects, either, the creatures they made were really cool.

I was sold on it as having a kind of Stalker premise, but it provides a lot more thrill/horror than that film.

I read the book after watching the movie and thought the movie was better, but it was very different so kind of hard to directly compare. But I'd recommend the movie over the book for sure.

The alien looked like a loving puddle of gasoline with legs. The most interesting part of the movie was Natalie Portman riding some black guy for 30 seconds then saying it was a mistake

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Glenn Quebec posted:

The alien looked like a loving puddle of gasoline with legs. The most interesting part of the movie was Natalie Portman riding some black guy for 30 seconds then saying it was a mistake

Someone forgot about the bear

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
people sure get heated about annihilation. like i thought the movie was good but you get people absolutely losing their poo poo about it in every possible way.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

null_pointer posted:

I forget where I read this, but IIRC working joes are only paid for time when they are awake and working, and time in the pods is time they are unpaid and their families and home life are slipping away while they sleep.

And in a wild tangent, the Annihilation monster is just an alien CNC fabricator from an ancient race that crashed millennia ago and has no input templates to work from. It is terraforming without a goal in mind and cobbling things together, but functioning like a Deep Dream image compiler that 'learns' through pure context. It's sufficiently advanced enough to incorporate instinct and disposition as well as genetics, and proximity to it is directly related to the fidelity of its interpretation of the subject. The movie way, way botches this but the book trilogy makes it an odd, beautiful centerpiece. Anyhoo... terraforming. Like Hadley's Hope. Sorry for the derail.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 22, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I gave Resurrection another watch after many years, and it just oozes late 90s aesthetic which I didn't notice when I first saw it. It was jarring and made it tough to watch. I really only love the first 3. I never disliked 3 as some do, but I do love the first two the most with Alien being my favorite.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

null_pointer posted:

Kane's comment about "feeling dead" should be enough. In-universe, hypersleep is probably like going under anaesthetic, with the side-effects being increasingly harsh relative to time spent in hypersleep. I know that when I woke up after anaesthetic, nothing felt real for a good half-day. I tried walking across the room to "go home" and just wobbled around like a drunk idiot before falling over; that was only after a few hours asleep. I dread to think what days or weeks would have done :v:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I liked Annihilation. I like a science-fiction film that doesn't spoon-feed me platitudes like "love conquers all" or "deep down we're all the same" and forces me to think.

I thought the visual effects were fine. People seem to have really exacting standards for cgi imagery, but have a huge sloppy tolerance for all the lovely practical effects that littered the films I watched as a kid. It seems like a weird thing to get hung up on. Work harder to suspend your disbelief or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I forget where I read this, but IIRC working joes are only paid for time when they are awake and working, and time in the pods is time they are unpaid and their families and home life are slipping away while they sleep.

This sounds right to me, and also appropriate to the hypercapitalist hellscape of the distant future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I really felt like 3 was a letdown, at least compared to 2. There's only one alien (well, two if you count the gestating queen), Ripley is stuck on a prison planet, the other survivors died from chestbursters, etc. Just bald Ripley dealing with another bunch of idiots.

On the other hand, I have a soft spot for Resurrection, perhaps because it was a lot more like Aliens.