Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orange Devil posted:

Still, everything else aside, who else but John Oliver straight up targets oligarchs with his platform?

Like I strongly felt like the audience was reacting rather inappropriately to some of the absolutely heinous poo poo in that deposition but at the same time John is not wrong that people simply won't care if they are required to read this poo poo for themselves or listen to a dude reading it out on TV. So what the gently caress is anyone to do to call attention to this?

Maybe he'll target the plutocrats next time

https://www.texasaflcio.org/working-texas/bill-would-create-separate-unelected-court-system-business-giants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

pwn posted:

Travel back in time and kill Edward Bernays as a baby?

After 100 years of being trained to be consumers and not think critically, you can lead a populace to information but if it isn’t interesting enough they get distracted.

Yeah and then when Oliver does try to make it interesting enough people just guffaw at the punchlines and don't seem to register the terrible poo poo inbetween them.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

holy poo poo of course itd be from loving plano and a town deep smack in the middle of patent troll country

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah and then when Oliver does try to make it interesting enough people just guffaw at the punchlines and don't seem to register the terrible poo poo inbetween them.

What makes you think it doesn't register with people? Because of the people in the studio audience laughing at the jokes? There are still millions of other people watching.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A good bit, but after that joke about Wallace Shawn looking like a baby, all I wanted was for Wallace Shawn to be one of the actors they got to reenact court documents with.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

A good bit, but after that joke about Wallace Shawn looking like a baby, all I wanted was for Wallace Shawn to be one of the actors they got to reenact court documents with.

Yeah I had the same thought. It seemed like such a setup for a callback when they starting bringing out the other actors.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

pwn posted:

After 100 years of being trained to be consumers and not think critically, you can lead a populace to information but if it isn’t interesting enough they get distracted.

Years of cultural baggage maybe honed this tendency but it's certainly not anything new. The side with a stronger the narrative usually wins public opinion.

Providing a story that's both compelling and genuine is a big ask because it requires not only a lot of effort but also good faith on the part of the storyteller. I don't think Oliver is perfect at either, but I'm not sure I can think of anyone else in the mainstream who gets closer to the goal of being both critical and entertaining.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ivan Shitskin posted:

What makes you think it doesn't register with people? Because of the people in the studio audience laughing at the jokes? There are still millions of other people watching.

The way the audience reacted to the joke while not reacting to the content, yes. It worried me.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Still, everything else aside, who else but John Oliver straight up targets oligarchs with his platform?

Hasan Minhaj does! You should check out Patriot Act on Netflix. Some of the show is on youtube though.

This is my favorite episode so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEZV6EE8JMA

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've only ever watched the "Patriot Act" videos uploaded to YouTube; is there much extra content in the full episodes on Netflix out of interest? Is it like "Last Week Tonight", where it's just some short news of the week highlights, while the main section goes to YouTube?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Orange Devil posted:

The way the audience reacted to the joke while not reacting to the content, yes. It worried me.

As far as I know "the audience" in shows like this is almost entirely a fake concept; they are a group of people being ordered to do things on cue. If the signal says applause they applaud, if it says laugh they laugh. If they make incorrect noise out of turn they get yelled at as one group between takes. They're only allowed to be there because they perform a job. In this case the signal given to the studio audience did not thematically match the delivered line very well, which is a pretty common occurrence on talk shows and makes the "audience" seem mentally off but I believe they're a mostly fictional entity anyway.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Koalas March posted:

Hasan Minhaj does! You should check out Patriot Act on Netflix. Some of the show is on youtube though.

I found Patriot Act a couple of months ago and binged the lot immediately! Hasan's really funny and he does deep dives on subjects that LWT would never dream of touching. Like how the Amazon episode wasn't about all the obvious stuff we know but about the shady Amazon Web Services. The only downside is I can never work out what its schedule is so I never know if there's a new episode or not.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Dumb Lowtax posted:

As far as I know "the audience" in shows like this is almost entirely a fake concept; they are a group of people being ordered to do things on cue. If the signal says applause they applaud, if it says laugh they laugh. If they make incorrect noise out of turn they get yelled at as one group between takes. They're only allowed to be there because they perform a job. In this case the signal given to the studio audience did not thematically match the delivered line very well, which is a pretty common occurrence on talk shows and makes the "audience" seem mentally off but I believe they're a mostly fictional entity anyway.

I mean, yeah, maybe they do that or use straight up pay actors, however they do offer tickets online, so probably it's possible to get some report whether or not this is the case. I've never been there and the tickets to a number of shows, including LWT, are free, you just have to sign up, but I don't know if you are actually ordered to do a certain thing in there.

I don't really think that a show with this many views requires it though. Getting a ticket is hard and if you're there you probably won't start booing John Oliver, as you appear to be a fan. For small shows that actually pay their audience to be there, which is a thing, this may be different.

This doesn't mean that an audience might just be dumb and focus on the jokes instead of the context.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2015/05/late_night_s_live_tapings_what_it_s_like_to_be_in_the_studio_audience_for.html

quote:

John Oliver didn’t so much as glance at us, after his pre-show greeting. He sat at his desk and stared straight into a camera lens while reading from a teleprompter, delivering gag after gag as I disappointedly realized that we, the sad sacks in his tiny, tiered amphitheater, were serving as nothing more than a fleshy laugh track. Oliver was squarely focused on his real audience, by which I mean the TV/internet audience out there, instead of on the weirdo shmoes who’d been ushered in to fill up the seats.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

tsob posted:

I've only ever watched the "Patriot Act" videos uploaded to YouTube; is there much extra content in the full episodes on Netflix out of interest? Is it like "Last Week Tonight", where it's just some short news of the week highlights, while the main section goes to YouTube?

It's like LWT in that regard however I'm pretty sure they only recently started uploading those main segments to youtube so there was a lot more on Netflix. Iirc none of s1 is on YT, or wasn't the last time I checked.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I wouldn't say that they're paid, just that they're absolutely given instructions at the beginning and I assume studios actually use the stereotypical light-up "Applause" signs (and probably "Laughter" too since that's the most important interaction on a talk show). As an anecdote my dad's friend was on the studio audience for a filming of Oprah's talk show years ago, and they reported back that she personally viciously tore her whole audience a new one in between takes for not participating correctly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
When The Daily Show came to Miami the only instructions we got were to be very energetic and honest. If we felt like laughing, we were to laugh loudly, if we felt like booing, we should do so. They basically said to react, but do so maximally.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Went to a Daily Show taping waaay back in like 2007 and IIRC it went like this:

1) Crowd warmed up by a comedian, put people in a laughing mood.
2) Jon came out and did Q&A with crowd, thanked everyone for coming.
3) Taping about to begin, somebody came out and reiterated that there is no laugh track, it's all from the crowd, so laugh heartily.
4) Taping happens.

That's all you really need to do to get a crowd of strangers to laugh loudly.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That and booze. Well, maybe that's it then. The audience reactions for LWT didn't always seem appropriate because the audience was drunk

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Stephen Colbert was known to be really into interacting with his audience, at least back during the Colbert Report days. It's why it took a minute or two for the show to get started because the crowd wouldn't stop cheering.

I don't know if it's like that now on the Late Show. I think in general it's a lot lower energy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It’s about as bad, Colbert’s crowd must be nice for him but watching at home sucks because you have to wait for his audience to stop screeching and whooping, and there’s the added annoyance of the audience being like twitchy whippets constantly ready to jump at any pause with a 10-second cheer/applause while Colbert waits. I love that John just barrels through that poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

As far as I know "the audience" in shows like this is almost entirely a fake concept; they are a group of people being ordered to do things on cue. If the signal says applause they applaud, if it says laugh they laugh.
I've been in the audience for a couple of different shows here in Australia (Good News Week and Mad as Hell) and in both those cases there was no explicit instruction on how to react to each bit, they just told us as the start that basically if it sounds like a joke we should laugh even if we don't get it, and we should make sure our reactions are loud. They actually get you to do a couple of practice laughs at the start where they inevitably say the reaction was too quiet and you need to be louder.

With GNW we were watching the actual performers on stage but MaH uses a lot of pre-recorded stuff and even the bits that were done in front of us were also shown on a screen, and we were told to always be looking at the screen so that shots of the audience would be consistent and not have us looking in different directions at different times. But we were never told we did it wrong or anything once the show actually started.

It's not really a worthwhile experience though, in my opinion, since I always feel like I'm basically an unpaid extra. It's very much the case that the show is for the TV audience and you are (a very small) part of the show, and if you happen to get some entertainment out of it as well then that's just a bonus. My sister really likes it though (which is why I've been to more than one of them), so obviously not everyone feels that way.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Stephen Colbert was known to be really into interacting with his audience, at least back during the Colbert Report days. It's why it took a minute or two for the show to get started because the crowd wouldn't stop cheering.

I don't know if it's like that now on the Late Show. I think in general it's a lot lower energy.

Didn't he start the show by running through the audience and high-fivimg everyone? Listening to this stuff at home can be annoying, that's why I mute LWT until after he's done his welcome welcome welcome thing.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Yeah well, obviously you are just a meat version of a laugh track. I guess it's kinda cool sitting in a studio and watching your guy also being flesh, but given that they always just stare into the camera and won't care about you, it's probably not really the most fun experience ever.
That said, usually tickets for these shows are very, very cheap (like, 5 bucks) or entirely free as they don't bother to take so little money and go to potential drama over it, not to say that they want the thing to be full at all times.

I like it that John Oliver once gifted away the bunny books to his audience, that's nice, but especially for him even their laughter seems to be not a major factor, given that he constantly talks over it and presses on with his words, no matter how loud they are. Which is good for the sake of the show from an TV perspective, though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've never seen Andy Zaltzman live, but I want to see him guest host LWT because I imagine he would find it hard to concentrate on the camera versus talking to the audience.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tickets are free... which I believe is a law for broadcast shows, they cannot charge for tickets. I imagine this is an FCC rule, and likely wouldn’t technically apply to cable shows, since they’re not using the public airwaves and thus aren’t subject to the regulations thereof, but I think all of them give tickets away free, as well.

That said, I can’t find any source to back this up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

pwn posted:

Tickets are free... which I believe is a law for broadcast shows, they cannot charge for tickets. I imagine this is an FCC rule, and likely wouldn’t technically apply to cable shows, since they’re not using the public airwaves and thus aren’t subject to the regulations thereof, but I think all of them give tickets away free, as well.

That seems bizarre, don't you have professional sports on free to air?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

That seems bizarre, don't you have professional sports on free to air?

I would expect that sports are probably grandfathered in since they predate television.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also networks cover sporting contests, they don’t originate them; these games would occur whether or not they were being photographed and transmitted. Which is pretty distinct from a show being performed especially for broadcast.

That said, I wonder, the intersection of various stage guild rules and customs notwithstanding, if NBC could, theoretically at least, record and broadcast, say, a Broadway play, filled with ticket-buying spectators?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Also networks cover sporting contests, they don’t originate them; these games would occur whether or not they were being photographed and transmitted. Which is pretty distinct from a show being performed especially for broadcast.

That said, I wonder, the intersection of various stage guild rules and customs notwithstanding, if NBC could, theoretically at least, record and broadcast, say, a Broadway play, filled with ticket-buying spectators?

I'd imagine that yeah, this would be perfectly legal, but of course the Broadway producers would never agree to it because it would tank the value of those tickets.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'd imagine that yeah, this would be perfectly legal, but of course the Broadway producers would never agree to it because it would tank the value of those tickets.

Would it? I'd think it was cool to have been at the production that they broadcast and distribute.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ahh, Stephen Fry's dulcet tones :allears:

vv: sigh

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 22, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ahh, Stephen Fry's dulcet tones :allears:

I loving love it when he says he says trans women are men

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I loving love it when he says he says trans women are men

When has he has said that? A quick google didn't bring up anything

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

When has he has said that? A quick google didn't bring up anything

https://www.facebook.com/notes/outr...-/251212869181/

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Eh that was in 2010, and more recent comments show hes learned and gotten better :shrug:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pwn posted:

I believe it's a weird interaction with usage rights. Due to studio pans and the like, audience members are technically 'background extras' for the taping, if you check the legalese for the for tickets you'll usually find a clause about the tickets being compensation for usage of your face/voice for the episode. And even if you could charge for the shows, no studio ever would. Charging for tickets would mean you have to hold seats for the people that paid and would have a much harder time accommodating for no shows.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Eh that was in 2010, and more recent comments show hes learned and gotten better :shrug:

Good for him. But he has a tendency to say stupid poo poo about gender.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
He's a poshy gay british white dude. What else would you expect lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
So it was Stephen Fry? I was like 90% sure.

Also, though, WTF was this episode?