Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Fister Roboto posted:

This sounds right to me, and also appropriate to the hypercapitalist hellscape of the distant future.

This just makes me want a slice-life-film about blue-collar workers trying to make ends meet in a future where the planet you're living on is Company property and your right to live might be trampled on if it puts someone's expenses in the black. No monsters, just adult fears like pay cuts and bankruptcy with the added horror of being on the wrong end of "progress."

I keep repeating myself but honesty the best chance for the franchise to prosper as anything but schlocky horror is to stop trying to recreate Alien/Aliens and have filmmakers use the universe to tell interesting stories.

After all, the worst parts of the new Ridley Scott films were all the moments where it needed to remind the viewer that they're watching an Alien movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The original Alien is good, not great.

It suffers from Ridley Scott's common problem of his films being plodding as gently caress.

Fight me.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It suffers from Ridley Scott's common problem of his films being plodding as gently caress.

Fight me.

I like the slow burn.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ChickenHeart posted:

This just makes me want a slice-life-film about blue-collar workers trying to make ends meet in a future where the planet you're living on is Company property and your right to live might be trampled on if it puts someone's expenses in the black. No monsters, just adult fears like pay cuts and bankruptcy with the added horror of being on the wrong end of "progress."
I can just go outside in real life or turn on the news or something and see that. :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fight me.

edit: : yeah, a lot of them can be slow. Like Kingdom of Heaven. But I love that movie anyway. He's still good but I can totally see someone getting bored with his stuff. I like the slow build up stuff. Like Jaws. You don't even see the shark until half the movie is over. Like Leon Einstein said, it's a slow burn.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 22, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

I keep repeating myself but honesty the best chance for the franchise to prosper as anything but schlocky horror is to stop trying to recreate Alien/Aliens and have filmmakers use the universe to tell interesting stories.

After all, the worst parts of the new Ridley Scott films were all the moments where it needed to remind the viewer that they're watching an Alien movie.

A lot of The Expanse is basically this. Imagine working somewhere where you might have your air supply turned down if it turns a profit.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 22, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I still love the gently caress out of the movie, and it's his most tolerable example of it.

I'm crying tears of boredom through some of Blade Runner's horseshit, but I still like that too.

I think people just had less to do with their free time back then, and wasting it was fine.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

I think people just had less to do with their free time back then, and wasting it was fine.

I’m sure that’s it and not today’s relentless barrage of on demand media scrambling people’s brain like an omelette

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

WatermelonGun posted:

I’m sure that’s it and not today’s relentless barrage of on demand media scrambling people’s brain like an omelette

Sir at this IHOP you can have your eggs scrambled or omelette but not both.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

null_pointer posted:

Random Alien question that I've always wondered about but never found an answer to:

Why was the crew of the Nostromo so bummed about having to go back into hypersleep? When Lambert tells them how long they have to go before getting back to Earth, they all collectively sigh and the mood in the room just plummets. At one point, Brett tries to put a joke on it about having to go back "to the ole' freezer-inos" but you can tell he's trying to make light of something.

Was there ever any cut scenes or backstory or anything to describe why the crew hates the thought of going back into hypersleep?

This thread being what it is, someone can correct me if I’m wrong: the novelisation (which I haven’t read for at least thirty years) has hypersleep be gooey, for want of a better word. The novelisation was based on the initial shooting script, I assume, since it contained the cocoon sequence and the airlock plan.
In the book they’re totally immersed in something like low temperature hair gel, or that poo poo from ‘The Abyss’, during hypersleep. I don’t remember if they actually breathe it, or if they have some kind of apparatus on their faces (which would be ironic), but it was described as pretty gross in the book.
The aversion to going back under might just be an artefact from an earlier version of the script where we see that it’s an icky process?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You really have to reach for explanations for why human beings wouldn't enjoy being in freezers for literal years while the rest of the universe passes them by? After they woke up, thought they were at their destination, but then realized they still had more literal years to go before they got to be conscious again? You really think they'd have to be suspended in goo for that to be an undesirable prospect?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ChickenHeart posted:

I think what really does make certain sequels work well is when it's a genre shift. Alien is a straight up horror movie, and Aliens is a (Vietnam) war movie. The next Alien should be a romcom

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Iron Crowned posted:

The next Alien should be a romcom

Al bursts onto the plane as it is about to take off, desperate to tell Ellen that he really loves her deep down. There are no survivors.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ChickenHeart posted:

You should watch Outland. Sean Connery as a cop who finds himself caught up in corporate bullshit in a lovely mining town on a moon of Jupiter. Really great production.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fight me.

Leon Einstein posted:

I like the slow burn.
Modern blockbusters seems to have forgotten the value of a good slow burn. Also why does every film these days start with an action sequence? Life, the brain damaged Bizarro to Alien's Superman, is a good example (of being terrible). Also, get off my lawn.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

A lot of The Expanse is basically this. Imagine working somewhere where you might have your air supply turned down if it turns a profit.

I liked when The Expanse stopped being about nerd poo poo like coriolis effect and inertia and got really good the last 3 episodes of the first season continuing through seasons 2 and 3. The first half of the first season was a plod. Also glad they didn't make it a show about space zombies after that one episode.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fight me.

For me it's the opposite. When the alien is loose and people start dying, the movie becomes boring. It also never helps, that I know there's a good 5 minutes of shielding my eyes at the end, where that terrible stroboscope ruins everything.

The alien is a great monster and all, but it's the least interesting part of Alien. LV-426, the eggs, facehugger, Mother and Ash; these are the good antagonists. It's why I prefer Aliens - the aliens are used to push the protagonists towards the interesting stuff.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

One of the best things about the first 2 alien movies is how you can pause the player around the time poo poo gets real, once the screaming and gunfire starts, and a) it happens at almost the same point in each movie, and b) it doesn't happen until each movie is at least half over. Even as many times as I see them I'm always caught off guard by how much time has passed. It's such a good burn you barely notice it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

You should watch Outland. Sean Connery as a cop who finds himself caught up in corporate bullshit in a lovely mining town on a moon of Jupiter. Really great production.

I just watched this the other night and yeah, it owns.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

skasion posted:

Outland was really good to the point that in terms of tone it wouldn't be out of place in the Aliens universe.

It was inspired by the Western classic High Noon.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

Outland was really good to the point that in terms of tone it wouldn't be out of place in the Aliens universe.

It was inspired by the Western classic High Noon.

Yeah Outland is the best Space Western.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I played Colonial Marines late last year some time and it wasn't bad. I'm guessing they finally patched the poo poo out of it. I don't recall running into a single bug.

Aliens/AvP multiplayer is always really fun so that's unfortunate that it died right away. Does the 2010 AvP have any active MP? I started playing that game after starting this thread but stopped after beating the Marine campaign.

Maybe I should just get really drunk and play Alien: Isolation so I don't cry.

They did a graphical/bug overhaul a while ago and haven't patched it since, but there's also a fix where you can go change one line in the game's files and it makes the AI not pants-shittingly dumb, so that's good. There are also a number of mods you can download that fix everything IIRC. Colonial Marines can be made better, but you can't patch out some of the awful design choices and writing.

I'm pretty sure AvP 2010 is dead as a doornail, I haven't tried playing it online in years, but it was dying on the PS3 not terribly long after it came out. Could be different on steam though. As long as you can get in, four players should be able to play the horde mode (called Survivor) alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCl2SK-rHI

I remember it being pretty fun, as far as horde modes go. If anybody owns the game on steam and wants to give it a shot this weekend lmk, I'd be down to try it again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fight me.

I'd argue it peaks at the navigator ship and also the great chestburster scene after making i seem like everything was fine.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The best part of avp2010 was everyone forming a polite line to pull off an unending chain of fatalities.

EDIT: is AVP CLASSIC 2000 any good? it’s like six bucks on gog and i never played it because i was like nine

WatermelonGun fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 23, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WatermelonGun posted:

EDIT: is AVP CLASSIC 2000 any good? it’s like six bucks on gog and i never played it because i was like nine

Yup it's good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Best map in the original AvP game (2000). It's called Stranded and it was great playing multiplayer with my buddy who I'd bring my computer over and we'd play fun stuff. You have to run to a tiny bunker and you just try to hold out for as long as you can.

This is the AvP 2 remake of the map. The only other video I found of the 2000 version was just poor quality and the guy was just learning to play. So here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DltxdMYOOJQ

Just realized something after watching the first minute. I do this in any AvP game. I run backwards all the time because it's a good strategy to get all of the xenomorphs in front of you. The downside? Turning back around and having another one ready to kill you right in front of you. Scares the poo poo out of me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I;m thinking about thos Aliens.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I;m thinking about thos Aliens.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Go back and finish it. You'll thank yourself after.

Ok, just here to report. I gathered the courage to keep playing, at least for now. Over the weekend I made it all the way to the hive. Not going to lie, that was a pretty dang good part, something I wasn't expecting. It put a smile on my face at first. It took everything I had to get past that area. Now once again I'm imagining my character locked in the locker where I left her, alone, waiting for me to play again.

Might take me a few days to get over that last part.

Goddamn I love everything about the Alien universe. But this poo poo scared me as a kid, and I feel like I'm opening old wounds.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WatermelonGun posted:

Facehuggers will make you need an entire new wardrobe of pants from how often you will be making GBS threads violently into them out of fear

Other than that, hell yeah

e: Like, let me put it this way: I played AVP Classic 2000 as a kid and the facehuggers traumatized me to the point that like

I could handle Isolation for most of the game just fine, when it's just one full-grown xenomorph it owns, but then they introduce facehuggers and I was like NOPE gently caress THIS I'M DONE

I will play any first-person Alien game up to the point that those fuckers show up, and then I will stop dead

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WatermelonGun posted:

The best part of avp2010 was everyone forming a polite line to pull off an unending chain of fatalities.

It's awesome and the Marine campaign is scary as poo poo on higher difficulties, definitely buy it. Aside from a few scripted spawns (such as the first Alien you encounter in the first level), the Aliens are spawned up in the level's air vents and the game lets their AI procedurally make their way to you as you make your way through the level. That means your motion tracker is constantly going off and you're really not sure when one of those fuckers is going to pop out of somewhere and bum-rush you at lightning speed, and it also means you can replay the same levels multiple times and it's still scary because the Aliens are so unpredictable.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Finished Labyrinth! Pretty hosed up poo poo there xenomrph! It was good and I think it broke my brain!

I’m gonna cop AVP CLASSIC 2000, are there any servers up for multiplayer?

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Last time I checked the mp for all the alien games is deader than gorman

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cephalectomy posted:

Last time I checked the mp for all the alien games is deader than gorman

Some of the AvP communities will rally up multiplayer games every once in a while. With enough goons playing we could probably organize some AvP game nights or something.

WatermelonGun posted:

Finished Labyrinth! Pretty hosed up poo poo there xenomrph! It was good and I think it broke my brain!
I just wanted you to know... none of this is personal. :shobon:

:stonklol:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What was the AvP game where you could pick as different subclasses of each race in multiplayer? I played that one a lot in mall lan cafes.

Predators felt kind of broken in that game. They could go invisible, self heal, and chop foes in half with a combistick.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Panfilo posted:

What was the AvP game where you could pick as different subclasses of each race in multiplayer? I played that one a lot in mall lan cafes.

Predators felt kind of broken in that game. They could go invisible, self heal, and chop foes in half with a combistick.

AvP 2.

E:

Actually, I think all the games has this feature?

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 23, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beet Wagon posted:

They did a graphical/bug overhaul a while ago and haven't patched it since, but there's also a fix where you can go change one line in the game's files and it makes the AI not pants-shittingly dumb, so that's good. There are also a number of mods you can download that fix everything IIRC. Colonial Marines can be made better, but you can't patch out some of the awful design choices and writing.

I'm pretty sure AvP 2010 is dead as a doornail, I haven't tried playing it online in years, but it was dying on the PS3 not terribly long after it came out. Could be different on steam though. As long as you can get in, four players should be able to play the horde mode (called Survivor) alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCl2SK-rHI

I remember it being pretty fun, as far as horde modes go. If anybody owns the game on steam and wants to give it a shot this weekend lmk, I'd be down to try it again.

drat that looks fun. Although if you think that looked fun, check this out. You guys have to watch this video if you like this game.

It's a "funny moments" video but I didn't even know that until I was almost done with it. It's a group of friends playing online coop Marines vs aliens at first. The first map is the one in the first AvP movie. First thing that happens is the temple starts shifting and it splits up one guy from their squad. The wall goes up, he's trapped there by himself, then you just hear a bunch of gunfire and screaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOc5i2zIkOw

If there were a goon AvP night. I think this game might actually be up to the task.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
AVP 1 PC game was great as long as friendly fire was on so that marines couldn't just mine entire hallways and not suffer splash damage. Cheeky cunts

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat, I forgot how fun it is to play an alien in AvP 2010. I got through the Marine campaign a month or so ago as I mentioned earlier and I'm just starting the alien campaign right now. It's so fun to, I don't know, "roleplay." It's not really doing roleplay it's playing the game as intended. But it's so fun when you hear someone coming to quickly jump on the ceiling, wait for them to pass under you while they're talking about some everyday bullshit, then plop down right behind them and "Grab" them to rip their head off or something. Then quickly jump up and run near a vent or something to escape.

The game even sets up ambushes for you. There are vents that are only big enough to fit you. You jump in, wait for a human to walk by, then attack. I haven't really gotten it to work but I really want to use the "Hiss" which is supposed to draw people towards you. It seems like it'd be useful around corners. Hiss, wait for them to start walking towards you, then quickly run around them and eat their head.

Pretty fun game really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I honor of this thread I rewatched Aliens and Resurrection on my phone with headphones the last couple of nights before going to sleep.

There really aren't enough words about just how good Aliens is. It really is James Cameron at the top of his game.

Resurrection basically is just a comic book brought to the big screen. Every shot and camera angle can be transferred directly to a comic book page. The 90s edgy dialogue is the worst part of the movie, but I have nothing against it otherwise.