Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Symetrique posted:

:eyepop:

I believe its from the base RA2 soviet campaign.

This is probably the best video on cleaning and maintenance out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWFoG5Inmw

Here's another on thinning and airbrushing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5OHYfSq5A

Hell yes this stuff is exactly what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When you think your head is spinning a bit but you’re still good for a little while, it’s time to go outside. Nobody is going to call you weak for it. Air is important.

This also applies to enclosed space entry.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I was in Japan recently, and like a goon went to Akihabara and wandered open mouthed around all the hobby shops. (It's true what they say, the Japanese have tiny tools). Anyway, the coolest thing I saw was chrome paint from this company

http://www.kcolors.com/cromatura.html

which looked exactly like chrome/polished steel.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

yaffle posted:

I was in Japan recently, and like a goon went to Akihabara and wandered open mouthed around all the hobby shops. (It's true what they say, the Japanese have tiny tools). Anyway, the coolest thing I saw was chrome paint from this company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfLlmmu_rDg

Here's a review of them. The $30 bottle of Gaia Premium Chrome is also included in this.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The_Rob posted:

So I bought my first ever airbrush today and I'm a little nervous on using it. Anyone got some hot tips?

If you plan on using any solvents or spraying enamel or lacquer, get this spray booth. It is cheap and works great. If you have any experience with a soldering iron, I'd highly recommend getting a warm white LED strip and use that to replace the cold blue/white LEDs that come with the booth.

I started out spraying Vallejo acrylics and switched to Mr. Color lacquers when I got the booth. Cleaning lacquer out of an airbrush is MUCH faster and easier than cleaning acrylics. With the acrylics, I didn't use my airbrush very much because of the cleaning, but after switching to lacquers, about 99% of my painting is done with the airbrush.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

To be fair, that's not true of all acrylics. Vallejo is a bit sticky and requires more rinsing, but Tamiya acrylics are fine and wash out easily with isopropyl alcohol.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I've had no problems rinsing any kind of paint out of my airbrush. One recurring problem is getting small dried bits of paint into the cup that end up clogging the thing. I find that a medium mesh (not too fine, or the paint won't flow through it) works really well.

Also don't clean your airbrush over the sink, sooner or later you'll drop something small into it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's what the U-bend is for :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The_Rob posted:

So I bought my first ever airbrush today and I'm a little nervous on using it. Anyone got some hot tips?

The best tip is to just loving do it. There is nothing to be afraid of, start on some old models or spare sprue and experiment.

As long as you do a decent job cleaning after each session, you can't really gently caress anything up beyond recovery.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Bucnasti posted:

The best tip is to just loving do it. There is nothing to be afraid of, start on some old models or spare sprue and experiment.

As long as you do a decent job cleaning after each session, you can't really gently caress anything up beyond recovery.

Can't stress this enough, some of the stuff I was reading was downright scaring me out of the process. While he is the human embodiment of Monster Energy drink; Next Level Painting's videos helped me quite a bit. His methods are very lax and fly-by-night but it is hard to argue with his results and proves (to me at least) the ideal workflow of an airbrush should be somewhere in the middle of rigorous discipline and complete disarray. As others have said; clean it well and avoid mishandling the needle and you will pick it up in time!

Gay Weed Dad fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 17, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gay Weed Dad posted:

...While he is the human embodiment of Monster Energy drink; Next Level Painting's

"Uh, what does that mea-oh. Huh." Also: lol at the Sonic and Amy poster.

quote:

... the ideal workflow of an airbrush should be somewhere in the middle of rigorous discipline and complete disarray...

If you don't end up having to hold the brush with your toes while you desperately try to unfuck a crossthreaded paint jar before what's in the cup dries, you aren't really airbrushing.

Point being, it's actually pretty hard to gently caress up badly enough to ruin the brush or its parts, aside from dropping it on its needle or dropping and then stepping on a tiny Iwata nozzle. For every new and exciting variety of fuckup you discover you'll be that much better. There may be times where you feel like you aren't progressing. I suggest taking a few photos of every build you finish, even if you never show the photos to anyone. Any time you feel discouraged, look back to when you first started and see how far you've come. Note that the google photos app is smart enough that you can just search for "tanks."

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 17, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

yaffle posted:

Quoting to save. These look fantastic.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Can't stress this enough, some of the stuff I was reading was downright scaring me out of the process. While he is the human embodiment of Monster Energy drink; Next Level Painting's videos helped me quite a bit. His methods are very lax and fly-by-night but it is hard to argue with his results and proves (to me at least) the ideal workflow of an airbrush should be somewhere in the middle of rigorous discipline and complete disarray. As others have said; clean it well and avoid mishandling the needle and you will pick it up in time!

Budzik is the polar opposite of this dude.

Also, the_Rob, if you ended up getting a G22/HPC chinese clone, do not try to mix thinner and paint in the airbrush. Its sloppy and will make cleanup 10x worse.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

To be fair, that's not true of all acrylics. Vallejo is a bit sticky and requires more rinsing, but Tamiya acrylics are fine and wash out easily with isopropyl alcohol.

Fair enough. I haven't airbrushed any of the Tamiya acrylics. I just prefer using lacquers because even if the paint is completely dry, lacquer thinner will immediately dissolve it. With the acrylics I've used, if it dries, you're going to need to scrub it out.

Gay Weed Dad posted:

"Here's how I use the backflow trick to mix the paint in the cup" *Uses too much air and blasts paint out of the top of the paint cup*

He did have a good point about using flow improver. Whether using acrylics or lacquers (not sure about enamels), using the correct flow improver will eliminate a lot of problems such as paint drying on the tip of the airbrush, paint drying before it hits the model and causing a sandpaper like finish, and what I call "spider webs" when using lacquers. Not the type of spider web where you have too much paint and hold the airbrush too close, but more like actual strands of web that hang off the model.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

Fair enough. I haven't airbrushed any of the Tamiya acrylics. I just prefer using lacquers because even if the paint is completely dry, lacquer thinner will immediately dissolve it. With the acrylics I've used, if it dries, you're going to need to scrub it out.

They're alcohol based acrylics, they clean out just as easily as lacquers.

Also:

Nearly done. Just need to add the drop tank and add a few finishing touches.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
It took a while, but it's finally done

Was a lot of fun to build. The Kit was quite nice, good fit.
I tried to give it a bit of a used look with quite a bit of preshading and weathering. Turned out pretty well.
It took forever to get all the windows individually a masked, though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Symetrique posted:

:eyepop:

I believe its from the base RA2 soviet campaign.

This is probably the best video on cleaning and maintenance out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWFoG5Inmw

Here's another on thinning and airbrushing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5OHYfSq5A

Quoting this just to say that the first dude's videos here are fantastic. Super good stuff.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Did a bit of work on the zero today. Washed the interior and sprayed the wings. I love the aotake colour not quite sure if the green shows up well though. (3:1 X-13:X-25)

Just a bit of detail work left to do then I'll seal up the fuselage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kurvi Tasch posted:

It took a while, but it's finally done

Was a lot of fun to build. The Kit was quite nice, good fit.
I tried to give it a bit of a used look with quite a bit of preshading and weathering. Turned out pretty well.
It took forever to get all the windows individually a masked, though.

I'm not at all a plane model guy, but this is a really interesting model that came together super nicely. Great painting and weathering!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah the weathering is really great on that!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Any tips on gloss varnishing? I'm trying it for the first time and it seems more satiny than like thick glass like

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Did a bit of work on the zero today. Washed the interior and sprayed the wings. I love the aotake colour not quite sure if the green shows up well though. (3:1 X-13:X-25)

Aotake is a really nice color. I wouldn't worry about where it lies in the blue-green spectrum. Apparently there was a lot of variation, especially when you take weathering into account. Here are examples from the same airframe:
http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2010/02/aotake-part-2.html

Phi230 posted:

Any tips on gloss varnishing? I'm trying it for the first time and it seems more satiny than like thick glass like

Which type of gloss and what are you thinning it with?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Oh I've seen that zero! The IWM is absolutely fantastic.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Symetrique posted:

Aotake is a really nice color. I wouldn't worry about where it lies in the blue-green spectrum. Apparently there was a lot of variation, especially when you take weathering into account. Here are examples from the same airframe:
http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2010/02/aotake-part-2.html

Which type of gloss and what are you thinning it with?

Vallejo Gloss Varnish, with water.

Is it just supposed to be merely shiny, or is it supposed to look super shiny.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phi230 posted:

You can get it pretty glossy if you build up several think coats and buff it a bit with a t shirt or something. I've never gotten it truly mirror shiny but it should be noticably shiny.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Plasmo is at it again to make you feel deeply inadequate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15nPDcuqDTI

this time its a 1/12 Tamiya Kawaski Ninja H2R, the chrome and carbon fibre decal bits took him huge amounts of time, and I am not sure I could do it without throwing everything against the wall.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I watched it earlier and it's astonishing. I don't think I could even open the bag of the sub 1mm screws without losing one.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The c9 detail set I got had a stack of rivets that size. I may need to get me one of those pencils though cause my efforts where more wing and a prayer that they’d go in the hole.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
This abysmal dump of a kit is finally finished. I can't think of any part of it that was actually pleasant to build. I did get to try out a number of effects, most of them turned out to be poo poo, but at least they ruined a kit that doesn't matter.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I tried using that stuff twice, wasn't a fan. As Booby said, you can lightly buff it with a soft tshirt or a kimwipe, just be careful. It isnt a very durable varnish.

Ensign Expendable posted:

This abysmal dump of a kit is finally finished. I can't think of any part of it that was actually pleasant to build. I did get to try out a number of effects, most of them turned out to be poo poo, but at least they ruined a kit that doesn't matter.

The camo net does look a little big, but I like the way that turned out. Which effects weren't you happy with?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally finished my Metal Earth LEM after like a year of working on it very intermittently:

This is my first time making one of these sheet-metal models, and my first time modeling at all in like 20 years, so it's a bit sloppy in places, but I'm still really happy with how it turned out. I also noticed, while assembling it, that they really don't trust you to assemble the RCS blocks -- every other part you get one of, but it has seven RCS blocks (and needs four).

I now have a terrible need to assemble more of these, but everything is closed for the holiday. Oh well.

Apropos of this, does anyone here have opinions on Time For Machine's spring-powered metal models? They're running a kickstarter right now and some of the kits look really nice, but I don't think I've ever seen them "in the wild" or talked to anyone who's assembled one.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 21, 2019

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Symetrique posted:

I tried using that stuff twice, wasn't a fan. As Booby said, you can lightly buff it with a soft tshirt or a kimwipe, just be careful. It isnt a very durable varnish.

The camo net does look a little big, but I like the way that turned out. Which effects weren't you happy with?

The camo net actually covers up one of my failures. I tried to use a mesh from a loofah as an ersatz camo net, but it was very difficult to get to stick, since I guess it's not porous at all. The pigments on the suspension destroyed all the details of the painting while at the same time making it look like the tank drove through cement rather than a coating of dust. The muffler weathering really fell flat, what you see is the result of a messy wash to cover it up after I glued it on. Lots of little nagging mistakes like that. I guess if you don't know what it's supposed to look like, it doesn't look so bad.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

We are our own worst critics after all. I really like it and the camo netting looks nice, if a tiny bit big for the scale.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

The camo net actually covers up one of my failures. I tried to use a mesh from a loofah as an ersatz camo net, but it was very difficult to get to stick, since I guess it's not porous at all. The pigments on the suspension destroyed all the details of the painting while at the same time making it look like the tank drove through cement rather than a coating of dust. The muffler weathering really fell flat, what you see is the result of a messy wash to cover it up after I glued it on. Lots of little nagging mistakes like that. I guess if you don't know what it's supposed to look like, it doesn't look so bad.

I'm gonna go point all of this out on your reddit post and steal all of your upvotes.

Seriously though, didnt even notice any of that.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sweet 1/144 A5M4:

Tail hook and antenna mast were omitted as per the instructions. 3-107 was flown by Saburo Sakai in China, so placing this on a 1/144 carrier deck is inaccurate, but I think it looks nice. Mr Color, Tamiya, and Alclad were used to paint the plane. A light amount of oils were used for weathering. No clear coats were used. The plastic had a slightly textured surface, oddly enough. The only added detail on the exterior was the pitot tube, though I'm not entirely happy with the way it turned out. Due to a careless mistake, I ended up painting the deck twice.

Unlike the usual two-kits-in-a-box thing Sweet does, this kit was a single kit in a bag. A little postcard that doubles as the painting guide was included:

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 22, 2019

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Only half-seriously asking this but how do you paint something that teeny without that one speck of dust floating in and ruining the paint job?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I have no idea but it's beautiful. Right now I'm struggling to think what the hell Tamiya was thinking with this "Grey" Green paint they recommend for the Zero. All the pictures make it look like a dark cream but AS-29 and XF-76 don't even come lose to looking correct. I only sprayed the outside of the wheel covers and it's a real sickly green. The tone between the AS and XF shouldn't be that great should it? I'm not one of the paint chip obsessives but I didn't expect it to be this off.

e: wow some cursory googling and it appears people have been arguing about this poo poo for over a decade.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 22, 2019

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
That A5M4 looks great. At that size I'd have long given up in frustration.
It still made me look at SWEET-models, and drat are they teases:
Box looks like this:

but if you read closely, it turns out that the cats are note included! :argh:
How can I live my life without cute facist cats?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Scut posted:

Only half-seriously asking this but how do you paint something that teeny without that one speck of dust floating in and ruining the paint job?

That's never been a problem, oddly enough.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I have no idea but it's beautiful. Right now I'm struggling to think what the hell Tamiya was thinking with this "Grey" Green paint they recommend for the Zero. All the pictures make it look like a dark cream but AS-29 and XF-76 don't even come lose to looking correct. I only sprayed the outside of the wheel covers and it's a real sickly green. The tone between the AS and XF shouldn't be that great should it? I'm not one of the paint chip obsessives but I didn't expect it to be this off.

e: wow some cursory googling and it appears people have been arguing about this poo poo for over a decade.

Welcome to Japanese planes. Its the most frustrating part of this particular subject. There's even debate around the A5M4, and whether or not it had an amber/gold varnish applied. If you're painting your Zero in J3, the color XF-76 is supposed to represent, your best bet is to find an already completed Zero that you like and use those paints instead of what Tamiya recommends. However, XF-76 isn't that far off apparently:

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2018/07/its-not-that-its-this-no-its-not-etc.html

Kurvi Tasch posted:

That A5M4 looks great. At that size I'd have long given up in frustration.
It still made me look at SWEET-models, and drat are they teases:
Box looks like this:
but if you read closely, it turns out that the cats are note included! :argh:
How can I live my life without cute facist cats?

Its only frustrating if you're trying to add extra detail. Otherwise these kits go together without any issues - no filling and no sanding.

Here's one that has the cats included!
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10574935
Wildcat + cats:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10063499

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Symetrique posted:

That's never been a problem, oddly enough.

Welcome to Japanese planes. Its the most frustrating part of this particular subject. There's even debate around the A5M4, and whether or not it had an amber/gold varnish applied. If you're painting your Zero in J3, the color XF-76 is supposed to represent, your best bet is to find an already completed Zero that you like and use those paints instead of what Tamiya recommends. However, XF-76 isn't that far off apparently:

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2018/07/its-not-that-its-this-no-its-not-etc.html

Thanks for the link. I did read a few forums about the subject and the results came down to "mix these 20 paints together that don't exist any more" or "well achtually it depends on if it's a mitsubishi or a nakajima zero" without ever actually agreeing or compromising on any kind of decent middle ground. I'll probably just stick with the XF-76 as it looks okay on pictures of the same model online. I just didn't expect it to look so drat green compared to how the plane is portrayed.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 22, 2019