Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Owl update: dunno why, but I am having a lot less luck trying to be aggressive than I am doing the "keep your distance and hit when you can" start. Today, at least. And sometimes I do pretty well, while the very next time I might die twice before getting him to even half his first bar. It's so frustrating how close I came earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Owl update: dunno why, but I am having a lot less luck trying to be aggressive than I am doing the "keep your distance and hit when you can" start. Today, at least. And sometimes I do pretty well, while the very next time I might die twice before getting him to even half his first bar. It's so frustrating how close I came earlier.

Put your TV in game mode. Input lag is death.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jit bull transpile posted:

Put your TV in game mode. Input lag is death.

Put this in the op please

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Input lag is the hesitation of your TV killing you.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
My TV is in game mode. I just suck

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Put your brain in game mode

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eraflure posted:

Put your brain in game mode

and when that isn't working - take a break

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and if none of that works, drink a couple beers

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Cowcaster posted:

and if none of that works, drink a couple beers

There actually is an amount of alcohol that I find helps me with this kind of game, but it's a razor's edge to walk before it slows me down instead.

I am breaking from Owl, but only to refill my res meters and get one more skill point. I have carpal tunnel syndrome, and too many consecutive tries on a boss like Owl and I start to just ache miserably. That's the main reason I've been grinding so much. To take breaks while not falling entirely out of the groove of the game.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Terra-da-loo! posted:

There actually is an amount of alcohol that I find helps me with this kind of game, but it's a razor's edge to walk before it slows me down instead.

Hmm, that sounds like me and bowling, maybe the same principal will apply for this.

And hi there fellow "stuck on Owl" person. It's made worse for me because my younger brother keeps texting me with his progress reports and he just took him down.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

a kitten posted:

Hmm, that sounds like me and bowling, maybe the same principal will apply for this.

And hi there fellow "stuck on Owl" person. It's made worse for me because my younger brother keeps texting me with his progress reports and he just took him down.
Yeah, fortunately I don't have anyone taunting me directly (intentionally or otherwise) about our comparative progress. Still sorta nags at me that I know this can be done, and even that I am capable, but am struggling.

Honestly, I might turn off the dialogue, because hearing Owl give me the same "I'm your daddy and your rear end should obey me" lines is probably the most grating aspect at this point, ahaha.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Terra-da-loo! posted:

My TV is in game mode. I just suck

Me too, I felt bad when jit pull decided there was something other than me sucking that held me back.

I've beaten the Shura ending now too. The Emma/Isshin Ashina combo is a much harder boss than Genichiro/ISS imo. Phase 1 Isshin was loving rough until I realised you could just basically just walk around his attacks to the left, but fire isshin is the combat of this game in distilled form and was loving great. The perfect mix of twitch reaction timing, attacks that punish defensive play.

ISS needed some poo poo like that move fire isshin does where he burns the whole arena and slashes the gently caress out of you. It was too easy to just run the gently caress away from ISS and bait his big slow jump slash.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Terra-da-loo! posted:

All of his worst attack patterns happen after a deflection. Try just hitting him twice and see what happens. Usually he'll do a slow-ish counter swing that you can easily deflect and riposte. This can also be baited easily and repeatedly with Nighjar reversal if you have it. It's tempting to keep going after him because posture kills are pretty much mandatory, but actually he's so aggressive that it really only takes four or five hits to completely stop his recovery--he never just idles out and waits for his posture to decay. Once you've got about 10% damage on him, you can finish the rest of the fight without ever throwing another attack as long as you deflect a reasonable portion of what's coming at you.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

bike tory posted:

Me too, I felt bad when jit pull decided there was something other than me sucking that held me back.

I've beaten the Shura ending now too. The Emma/Isshin Ashina combo is a much harder boss than Genichiro/ISS imo. Phase 1 Isshin was loving rough until I realised you could just basically just walk around his attacks to the left, but fire isshin is the combat of this game in distilled form and was loving great. The perfect mix of twitch reaction timing, attacks that punish defensive play.

ISS needed some poo poo like that move fire isshin does where he burns the whole arena and slashes the gently caress out of you. It was too easy to just run the gently caress away from ISS and bait his big slow jump slash.

It really is.

The hardest part is to see Emma die over and over again.

Actually the hardest part was the bullshit fire attacks and the sidestep that he does. Nobody else in the whole game has a trick for when you go hit them with r1, but here you ded.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think i genuinely died more to the warmup boss there than the real deal. don’t know what my problem was

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

They should rename the game to Sekiro dodgers die twice

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

They should rename the game to Sekiro dodgers die twice

They die until they master it and then they just dodge thru everything.

I was genuinely suprised when I dodged through an enemy attack bb style.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bike tory posted:

Omg I'm so sorry! I hate how hard this game is bringing out the git gud nonsense and I absolutely didn't mean to make you feel put down! I only keep pushing the game mode thing because I died to ashina elite 30 times before I realized how bad the input lag was on my TV. I've never cared about that sort of thing before lol 😊

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I found that HDR TV mode on regular PS4 adds considerable input lag - if you have an HDR TV, try doing a quick tap of the camera stick and observing the delay, then turning it off and doing the same. It feels significant to me. I found I was having trouble even timing wall hangs properly with HDR turned on, let alone doing quick combat parries.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Volte posted:

I found that HDR TV mode on regular PS4 adds considerable input lag - if you have an HDR TV, try doing a quick tap of the camera stick and observing the delay, then turning it off and doing the same. It feels significant to me. I found I was having trouble even timing wall hangs properly with HDR turned on, let alone doing quick combat parries.

At least on my TV it manages the picture profiles for hdr and non hdr separately so if you set your TV to game mode before the ps4 prompted it to switch to hdr you might not actually be in game mode. Do your picture set up after the game is fully booted.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
From the Shugendo idol, on the way to Armored Warrior; instead of going up after the assassins to the covered bridge, there's a grapple slingshot point that aims me towards a wall with grab points. There's a ledge nearby with an item. I'm assuming that the grapple is supposed to swing me to the wall, and I'm supposed to wall hang over to the ledge, but I keep coming up just short of grabbing the wall.

Am I doing this wrong, or is this a red herring and the only way to the ledge is around from some other point?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Listerine posted:

From the Shugendo idol, on the way to Armored Warrior; instead of going up after the assassins to the covered bridge, there's a grapple slingshot point that aims me towards a wall with grab points. There's a ledge nearby with an item. I'm assuming that the grapple is supposed to swing me to the wall, and I'm supposed to wall hang over to the ledge, but I keep coming up just short of grabbing the wall.

Am I doing this wrong, or is this a red herring and the only way to the ledge is around from some other point?

Adjust the angle you're jumping at outwards a bit so the grapple shoots you more directly towards the wall.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Listerine posted:

It's just wonky. I've had it work perfectly sometimes and then fallen to my death three times in a row on others. Mess around with different angles and you'll get there. Also make sure you're holding down grab rather than trying to tap it, and remember that you have a limited amount of aerial control using the left stick.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

the real question is whether or not any of the advice in this thread was useful at all or was just a bunch of gibberish

It's not the advice that helps people when they post in this thread

It's the magical power of screaming into the void + it forces people to take a break

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
WOO! Owl down (for the first time, at least)!! I finally beat him via the distance and punishing openings strategy. I also used some divine confetti for the tiny damage boost, since all my Ashina Antechamber grinding had left me with 40-something.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
what the gently caress is TV game mode and does it affect me if I'm playing on a steamlink? Who the gently caress knew TVs have modes? When did this start being a thing?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Congrats, you're on the home stretch now...

edit: oh man I cannot imagine playing this through a steam link

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terra-da-loo! posted:

WOO! Owl down (for the first time, at least)!! I finally beat him via the distance and punishing openings strategy. I also used some divine confetti for the tiny damage boost, since all my Ashina Antechamber grinding had left me with 40-something.

congratulations :toot:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Your Computer posted:

congratulations :toot:

Thaaaank you. I am so glad to be past that and, presumably, headed into even more difficult BS.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jinsake saze can eat my rear end

By far my least favorite boss

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Paramemetic posted:

what the gently caress is TV game mode and does it affect me if I'm playing on a steamlink? Who the gently caress knew TVs have modes? When did this start being a thing?
Most TVs have stuff like frame smoothing and picture post-processing that adds considerable latency, to the point where if you have a computer hooked up to it, it becomes almost impossible to control the cursor with the mouse because it doesn't match what you're doing. Game mode disables all that stuff and your TV becomes basically a big monitor. On my TV, it's one of the picture modes like Standard, Movie, Sports.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Basically speaking, it takes away the slight (but noticeable) delay between what your console puts out and what's actually happening on-screen. Usually, this isn't enough to matter, but for a game like Sekiro, it can be the difference between a parry at the last moment and a tomboy lightning to the face.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cardiovorax posted:

Not that there's any humanly possible way for you to not die so successfully over the course of the game that you won't get an opportunity to collect the sample.

I uh, actually pulled this off during playthrough 3. :v:

Emma just sort of randomly gives you the dragonrot healing stuff when Isshin kicks the bucket.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Jinsake saze can eat my rear end

By far my least favorite boss

Use the umbrella, friend

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One thing I always thought was kinda funny is killing O'Rin without doing her associated quest, when she dies she just goes "uwaah" instead of her normal long speech.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dewgy posted:

I uh, actually pulled this off during playthrough 3. :v:

Emma just sort of randomly gives you the dragonrot healing stuff when Isshin kicks the bucket.
Okay, I guess it is possible if you start with two playthroughs worth of upgrades and practice. :v:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

dyzzy posted:

Congrats, you're on the home stretch now...

edit: oh man I cannot imagine playing this through a steam link

It's wired, obviously. I just like to pretend to spend time with my wife who goes to bed at a dumb hour so if I play games in bed it's like I'm not a piece of poo poo hiding in my basement. I haven't noticed any effects.

I might be using a TV that's old enough I don't have to worry about any of that poo poo but that's good to know. I've noticed I can't see some telegraphing in this and in MHW so maybe the TV is loving up some tells. I'll check it out.

Lmao if I turn on game mode and it's like removing the weighted vest.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

plus i remember game mode on tv’s being an issue as far back as playing no more heroes 2 on my wii and trying to beat the nes gym minigame so it’s been around for a grip

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I got to the second encounter with Owl already, and I made the best unintentional pun. "Oh great, you again. What a hoot."

Spoilered the pun jus cause it kinda gives away the other part. I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a spoiler right now, but I wanna play it safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel some of you may find this NG+2 video quite cathartic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM0uDwEaY4c