Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Byzantine posted:

I think priests are manga fans, actually

Priests!

I'm thinking of the scene in Astro City, with the vampire priest who wears an enormous cross on his chest.

"Doesn't that hurt?"

"It is meant to. The pain helps me focus on not being a monster."

"And that works? You've never killed anyone?"

"... Please do not ask me that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thor: God Of Thunder #24

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Infinitum posted:

Thor: God Of Thunder #24

I bet there's no elevators, though.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Beachcomber posted:

I bet there's no elevators, though.

Or stairs. Hope you can fly kid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Avulsion posted:

Or stairs. Hope you can fly kid.

Of course there's stairs. Thor can't fly without his hammer and most of his friends can't fly either.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There are several goats in the main hall, Thor thinks of everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Parahexavoctal posted:

Priests!

I'm thinking of the scene in Astro City, with the vampire priest who wears an enormous cross on his chest.

"Doesn't that hurt?"

"It is meant to. The pain helps me focus on not being a monster."

"And that works? You've never killed anyone?"

"... Please do not ask me that."

You might want to give this a read.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Those ads! Can't wait to sip on some Bombay Gin while working up a sweat on my NordicTrac and, uh, joining the Rosicrucians.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Infinitum posted:

Beastars is just a really good read, and I wanted to gush about it for a bit. I promise you it is worth your time checking out!

The above panels happen occur somewhere between chapters 50-100 (Like I'm trying not to spoil it, because I think it's a fantastic reveal and follow up fight sequence)

It's also getting an anime adaption that will be available later this year on Netflix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6H1qskbEIg

(Not a huge fan of 3D, but it look pretty decent!)

Thanks for this.

I just blitzed through all 125 chapters in the last few days this was great fun and very different to the manga I usually read.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I found this off tumblr, so I’m not sure which issue it’s from, but it really makes me enjoy what’s been done with J Jonah Jameson by some writers. It’s fun to think of him as this caricature of an rear end in a top hat boss, but seeing the human touches is always a pleasure.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I like the period detail of the giant ViewSonic CRT monitor JJJ uses.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RedMagus posted:

I found this off tumblr, so I’m not sure which issue it’s from, but it really makes me enjoy what’s been done with J Jonah Jameson by some writers. It’s fun to think of him as this caricature of an rear end in a top hat boss, but seeing the human touches is always a pleasure.

This is good.

One of my favorite JJJ moments is some guy representing a villain (can't remember if its Fisk or Osborn) tries to come in and and intimidate him into killing a story, and Jonah tells him to kick rocks.

Jonah might have somewhat distorted ethics and principles, but he's at his best when they have him stand his ground.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

One of the many reasons the Sam Raimi spider-man movies got Jonah perfectly is this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAfxBXAQCZM

Jonah was in the middle of giving Peter poo poo, and is clearly terrified, but doesn't give him up to Goblin, even though Peter is right there.

Although I will say, Robbie wasn't working at the Bugle yet when Peter started working freelance, therefore this is clearly not canon and furthermore :goonsay:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I suspect it's from Zdarsky's new "Spidey throughout the decades" thing

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This is good.

One of my favorite JJJ moments is some guy representing a villain (can't remember if its Fisk or Osborn) tries to come in and and intimidate him into killing a story, and Jonah tells him to kick rocks.

Jonah might have somewhat distorted ethics and principles, but he's at his best when they have him stand his ground.

He did the same thing when Bastion tried to get him on board with Operation Zero Tolerance, as I recall.

Also he went after X-Factor with both barrels for taking advantage of anti-mutant hysteria (and also for failing to capture Spider-Man, but he did state when I think Robbie called him out on it that he would have atacked them in the press anyway, and if they were going after that menace they wouldn't be hassling innocent mutants instead).

I suspect it's from Zdarsky's new "Spidey throughout the decades" thing

While it is Zdarsky, I think it's a Spectacular Annual he did.

Although Life Story's got some great stuff in it, to be fair.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s not. Bagley is doing art on that book, and the latest issue is in the 70’s. I think there was a recent Spectacular Spider-Man Annual that had Allred doing a story.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I hope Zdarsky's run gets an omnibus. Maybe combine life story with Spectacular.

Also I'd totally read an Allred Spider-Man run.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 22, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

He did the same thing when Bastion tried to get him on board with Operation Zero Tolerance, as I recall.

Also he went after X-Factor with both barrels for taking advantage of anti-mutant hysteria (and also for failing to capture Spider-Man, but he did state when I think Robbie called him out on it that he would have atacked them in the press anyway, and if they were going after that menace they wouldn't be hassling innocent mutants instead).

While it is Zdarsky, I think it's a Spectacular Annual he did.

Although Life Story's got some great stuff in it, to be fair.

I might be thinking of your example, actually. I remember it got posted in the badass panels thread (rightly so).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope Zdarsky's run gets an omnibus. Maybe combine life story with Spectacular.

Also I'd totally read an Allred Spider-Man run.

You just reminded me of that issue of Peter Parker: Spider-man that had a Chris Samnee cover, but the interiors were done by Steve Dillon, phoning it in harder than he's ever phoned anything in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Archyduchess posted:

Those ads! Can't wait to sip on some Bombay Gin while working up a sweat on my NordicTrac and, uh, joining the Rosicrucians.

It's a 30 year old issue of Omni. It was a different time. :shrug:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

You just reminded me of that issue of Peter Parker: Spider-man that had a Chris Samnee cover, but the interiors were done by Steve Dillon, phoning it in harder than he's ever phoned anything in.

I can't think of a worse subject matter/artist match than Spider-Man and Steve Dillon

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I can't think of a worse subject matter/artist match than Spider-Man and Steve Dillon

John Byrne and literally any teenage character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Rob Liefeld and the Yearly Foot Fetish issue
Man the 90s were wild

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Honorable mention to Dan Jurgen's Teen Titans run or any time he wrote Superboy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Speaking of which, Spider-Man: Life Story has so far been super good, stellar even. The way he handled the Clone Saga and teh Night Gwen Stacy died all at once was hilarious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure I'm feeling it. It should be called Spider-Man: Everyone is a Dick to Peter.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not sure I'm feeling it. It should be called Spider-Man: Everyone is a Dick to Peter.

Yeah this is a Spider-Man book.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Endless Mike posted:

To be fair there's actually some decent reasons for that, as basically every character except Doc Ock is having their lives go right down the shitter in that universe as of the end of the 70's issue

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Jedit posted:

It's a 30 year old issue of Omni. It was a different time. :shrug:

Oh for sure, and it brings break great memories of the ads in old issues of Fortean Times. I would actually love a thread of old comic book ads.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Archyduchess posted:

Oh for sure, and it brings break great memories of the ads in old issues of Fortean Times. I would actually love a thread of old comic book ads.

Thread title needs to mention Hostess FruitPies and Sea Monkeys

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 23, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Archyduchess posted:

The ads you get now in Fortean Times aren't any different. I'd take photos, but I pass my old issues onto a friend for her son and I haven't cracked the latest yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

One of the many reasons the Sam Raimi spider-man movies got Jonah perfectly is this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAfxBXAQCZM

God, I still love "I resent that! Slander is spoken, in print it's libel." I feel bad for Marvel/Sony that no matter how good future Spider-Man movies may be, they'll never be able to do a better JJJ.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Archyduchess posted:

Best old comic book ads are ads for RPG stuff(for comics released in the 80s onwards) and ads for various Army Men sets(for the stuff from the 50s through 70s)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We had an ad thread years ago but it ran out of steam very quickly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RedMagus posted:

JJJ being secretly a good person, while still being a gigantic arsehole, is always the best trope :allears:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A great JJJ story that doesn't come up often enough, I think, is Web of Spider-Man #52. The Chameleon has JJJ chained up:

and he flashes back to a formative incident in his journalism career while, in the present day, he tries to escape.

I don't want to say too much about it, but it's really dang good.

I came across this issue entirely by accident as a kid, and it made me rethink the character I'd seen in all those digests and Marvel Tales reprints.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Hell yeah.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TwoPair posted:

God, I still love "I resent that! Slander is spoken, in print it's libel." I feel bad for Marvel/Sony that no matter how good future Spider-Man movies may be, they'll never be able to do a better JJJ.

That line still pops into my head when I need to remember which is which.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, the Hitler 'tache can work with a 5 'o clock shadow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I don't have any panels, but go read Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #6. Goddamn. :cry: